Giving Birth: The Dad's Side - Mothering Forums

#1 of 1 Old 08-22-2017, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Giving Birth: The Dad's Side

Hi guys, here's a little about giving birth from the view of the dad:

"Watching your partner go through that much pain is genuinely horrific. For us, right at the latter stages of the pushing stage, Isabelle brought the cord down first, something called cord prolapse, and something that we had no idea was actually a dangerous thing.

Within seconds I was pushing the emergency button and we were suddenly being rushed down to theatre with urgency. I had no idea what was going on. I merely trailed behind wondering what to do. I was dragged along by one of the midwives, and rammed into the elevator to make our way down to theatre. The next thing I know my partner is being surrounded by doctors, midwives, and god knows who else as I sat off to the side feeling like I shouldn’t even be there. A million things rushed through my head, and I really, really just wanted to get out.

But I had no choice. My wife needed me more than I needed to be alone. I stood there holding her hand, and trying desperately to hold back tears. The staff kept telling me that things were ok, clearly seeing my concern, but they just really needed to get the baby out. What came next will always stick with me. Due to the urgency, there was little thought given to pain relief. Yes, they injected my wife with a local anaesthetic ready for the episiotomy, but there was no time for it to take effect.

Instead, I simply watched, or rather listened, as they cut my wife and tried to get her to push. Eventually, they resorted to the ventouse (not going to lie, I looked that up as I was going to use the term “suction cup thing”), and finally they managed to get the baby to come out. After that moment, my wife’s face changed in a matter of seconds from agony to extreme relief. Just like that, there was no more pain, no more screams, at least not from her, all of it was replaced with happiness. And maybe some soreness, I imagine things were still a little tender."

Didn't want the full article on here as it just looks really long, the rest of it is on my blog here: https://www.isablog.co.uk/single-pos...-The-Dads-Side

Any other dads with stories of childbirth?

Connect with me on Facebook at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
Birth

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page