Velamentous insertion of the umbilical cord - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-29-2013, 12:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

nevermind, already posted

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2014, 05:41 PM

joy.gif thank you for sharing! I really needed to understand this more:o. Sooooo many thanks!:namaste.gif
Old 04-24-2014, 12:29 AM

If you had an undiagnosed VCI and had a homebirth and a healthy baby, count yourself extremely lucky.

If you lost your baby, I am so, so sorry.

If you have a diagnosed VCI, you are crazy not to consider this a high risk pregnancy.

Fourth baby.  Three previously extremely easy, all natural births.  I considered having a homebirth, but midwives are in extremely short supply here and my doctor is all-natural and I had had good experiences, so I stuck with a hospital birth.  Two ultrasounds during my pregnancy.  (First was routine, second was to check baby's position.)  The placenta & cord were briefly looked at, but were not the reason for the ultrasounds.  Nothing unusual.

At 40 wks, 3 days, in early labour and I had two episodes of bleeding.  Went to the hospital and was sent home twice by the doctor on call.  (And side note, we all like to blame the doctor, especially one who had access to surgical advice, but the midwives around here think they're God and would not have taken this seriously either.)  At home, my water spontaneously broke.  I rushed to the hospital, as I usually deliver imminently when my water breaks.  On the way I suffered a complete placental abruption.  I had an emergency c-section.  My baby was in NICU and required a blood transfusion.  My recovery was horrific due to the circumstances.  We live five minutes away from the hospital and the best surgeon in the city happened to be in the hallway at the time.  If we lived one neighbourhood away, my baby would have died.  If we lived any farther away, we both would have died.  It is only by God's grace we are both alive and healthy today.

It was later found I had: 1) a bi-lobed placenta, 2) VCI, 3) short cord, 4) cord around baby's neck on top of the 5) placental abruption.  (I did not have vasia previa.)  I had zero risk factors or warning signs up until that day.  They said I never would have been able to deliver vaginally.

If you are dealing with this, please do your research.  Just because there are some good outcome stories on this thread doesn't mean you can't take this seriously.  VCI means you are at higher risk for a placental abruption.  The cord is hanging on by a thread.  My baby could have kicked the cord off the placenta at anytime.  I am not trying to scare you.  You do not want to lose your baby.  My baby was saved and I am still having nightmares.

Old 07-07-2014, 08:41 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I am so so glad I have found this thread.

I am 3 days post partum after delivering a full term 4 lb baby. She had decels with every contraction, so the or staff was on standby as per doctors orders. Delivered my beautiful girl, do realizes how small she is, and then when placenta delivers the cord kindof "shreds" as it comes apart from the placenta. The doctor looks at it for a second.... "Hmmmm, that's strange" then realizes what happened. He is then elbow deep I to my uterus and can't get the placenta. "Prep the OR!!!" I start bawling thinking they are going to cut me open. After they assure me it is only a d&c, I calm. Prosecute goes great. Baby is fine.

2 extra days in the hospital to observe baby and do bold sugar conus and weight checks.

Full term at 4 lbs???? Insane! Apparently there was also some sort of clot in the umbilical cord.

I am so glad that we got so lucky. Had my water broken before hand and the cord come lose she would have bled out in seconds.

I am so so sorry for the loss some of you have had to deal with. *hug*

I feel so insanely blessed, and a grateful for a excellent medical care.
Old 07-16-2014, 06:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I was just released yesterday afternoon from the hospital and during the visit they discovered I have VIC. It wasn't until I got home and started reading about it that I realize its much more than how lightly they talked about it. I am now high risk and will be monitored more frequently but I also have another concern. I am 27 weeks now and had a sudden bleeding episode after intercourse one night back in April. I went to the Dr. who told me that the cervix is just very sensitive during pregnancy and any bump can cause bleeding ( yes i know this already) but it wasn't a normal bleed and i continued to bleed for 3 weeks and called them back every week asking why i was still bleeding. They kept telling me i was fine and to just wait it out. luckily I didn't want to take that answer so i switched Dr.s and during the ultrasound that next day they discovered a subchorionic hemorrhage i was put on bed rest for a week and it cleared up in that time. Well i have continued to bleed (lightly) but continues and the Dr. cannot figure out why. Has anyone had this issue along with a subchorionic and VIC?

User Tag List