Scott Francis - a natural homebirth - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 02-17-2005, 11:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is going to b slow going as I have my little one in my arms. I will try to keep the grammer errors down to a minimum.

It first started out five days ago. I started having contractions. I got excited, but not too excited because they weren't regular. I learned I think the next day that it was prodromal labor. My mother went through this with me for ten days and today I found out that her mother went through it with her for eight days...guess it;s genetic. So anyways, I did not get much to eat or much sleep those four days and by the time I realized I was in active labor around 9 pm last night I was a wreck to say the least.

I had Chris time five of my contractions and they were averaging 2 1/2 minutes of contracting with 5 minutes in between. We called Audrey who said to time them for an hour and then to call back. They rapidly progressed to 3 minutes, then 4 minutes, and finally six minutes with about 3 minutes in between. We called Audrey back and she left immediately. Chris started filling up the birthing pool, but we discovered that the faucet was installed incorrectly in our new guest bath and water was pouring all over the place...leaked into the basement too :/ So Chris had to make an emergency run to hell mart to get a longer hose so it would reach the pool from the kitchen. It took forever to fill the thing and I ended up getting in it half full. While we were waiting for Audrey to arrive I labored on my ball and tried to get some rest. Audrey checked me when she got to the house and I was 5 cm!!!! Woohoo...things were finally moving!!!

She called her assistant Lisa who headed over and she gave me a massage while I labored and waited for the pool to fill. I got into pool around 12:30 and spent some time laboring in the warm water. That felt great but the warm water drained me of my remaining energy and I started having a hard time dealing with the contractions. I was utterly and totally exhausted when Lisa arrived I was ready to give up and go to the hospital. Audrey was exhausted too because she'd been up with her kids who were sick with the flu for days. So she went and laid down and Lisa took ne to my bed and rubbed my back through the contractions and helped me to get an hour of sleep. I can honestly say that I would not have had my natural homebirth if it hadn't been for Lisa.

My water broke around 6 am. It felt like the baby kicked me and it just gushed out. That's when things started moving. Audrey woke up and Chris ran to get coffee. My contrx were definitely different after my water broke and I started to vocalize through the worst of them. I felt the urge to push around 8:30 but I was only 8 cm dilated. I got into the shower and Chris rubbed my back while I moaned and gently pushed. When I got out after 5 or so minutes I was 9 cm and there was a small cervical lip. I labored on all fours for a little while and that took care of the lip.

Pushing was the most difficult thing in the world. Whoever says it feels almost good to push must have been on some strong drugs brcause it was so HARD!!! I tried every position I could think of and ended up on my side for the longest time. I got up to move into a new position and I was on my knees when I had to PUSH! NOW! He was born about ten minutes later. It was very difficult pushing him out. I got his big ole melon (just like dad) out and fought to get his shoulders out. Now THAT hurt! I'd thought the head was the worst part, and I spent the last of my energy on it. Audrey almost had to pull the rest of him out, but the body was the most heavinly sensation to birth.

I took about 30 minutes for me to deliver the placenta and I did loose some blood, but a shot of pitocin and a mouthful of a homeopathic medicine kicked up one last contraction and it finally came out. I bled a little more and then it was all over! Although it is not an experience I wish to repeat any time soon, I will say that it was worth every ounce of pain when I saw my liitle boy open his eyes and look right at me. He's everything that is wonderful and I feel so humbled every time I look at him.

Oh and I feel like I was hit by a Mack truck between my legs even though I didn't have any tearing. I'm scared to look!

Monica - single mama to DS nono02.gifand DD blowkiss.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 02-17-2005, 11:14 PM

Congrats!!!

Welcome little guy!

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#3 of 11 Old 02-17-2005, 11:19 PM

Congrats!! Audrey was my mw too.
#4 of 11 Old 02-17-2005, 11:23 PM

Awesome job mama!!!!!

Little Shyly Babe!!

mom to three boys:  reading.gif(18 bigeyes.giffencing.gif(10&7)
#5 of 11 Old 02-17-2005, 11:47 PM

I'm not sure what prodromal labour is, but I'm glad I didn't have it!!

Congratulations again!!!
#6 of 11 Old 02-18-2005, 12:17 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Shyly that is so wonderful! Welcome to your little one! Funny how birth is so different for everyone- pushing for me was the best part becasue it stopped my leg pain. I also had a very long labor mine was 3 days... And I was so tired too. I understand how you feel~ but it is so magical as well

Hope you feel better after tonights sleep and rest up- I took a 17 mile walk about 3 months after my DD was born and it was a very bad move, I didnt understand that it takes a very long time for everything to mend back together down there.

Have a great night with your sweet boy!

[B][I]~Ang~ Mom to 2 sport-head crazy girls: Rainey and Breeze  and my little lost love- @18 weeks with gestational age of 7 weeks

RAINBOW BABY DUE MAY 4th!!!
#7 of 11 Old 02-18-2005, 02:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Congtratulations Monica!! That is a wonderful story!! I hope you are feeling great and you and baby are well!! Enjoy!!

Life is to be enjoyed...not just endured!
#8 of 11 Old 02-18-2005, 11:24 PM

CONGRATS Shyly!!!!!
#9 of 11 Old 02-28-2005, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyly
Pushing was the most difficult thing in the world. Whoever says it feels almost good to push must have been on some strong drugs brcause it was so HARD!!!
I was right there with you on this sister! Everyone had always told me what a relief it was to push...but it was harder for me. I pushed for an hour and a half...all of it was hard, and I was ready to give up THEN..not during all the other labor..but at the pushing phase. I made it, and glad you made it too. I'm real hopeful that this next one will be different! Congrats on your beautiful birth, and beautiful boy!
#10 of 11 Old 03-02-2005, 04:33 PM

Congrats! Glad everything went well.

Another huge headed baby here! Pushing felt like trying to push the Berlin wall down all by myself...not fun at all. Hoping the next one takes after my husband who has this really narrow pointy head. :LOL

Enjoy your babe!

Mom to two boys, ages 8 and 11, and one blessing due May 8th.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 baby.gif 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

#11 of 11 Old 03-11-2005, 12:18 AM

Congrats, Mama!
Your birth story is more similar to mine than any other I've read. And on the same day too!! We rule.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page