C-sec instead of planned VBAC best decision I ever made - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 52 Old 04-29-2005, 10:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
wonderful birth story! 3 cheers for mama's instincts!

DD1 (8yrs) + DD2 (6yrs) + DS1 (4/25/11) = one crazy adventure!
#32 of 52 Old 05-02-2005, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Periwinkle
It lasted 3 hours and involved the continuous support of a General Surgeon, because I had severe adhesions from a prior abdominal surgery.

At 2:46pm, William was born. 10 pounds 9 ounces, 22 1/4", 15 3/8" head. DOUBLE FOOTLING BREECH.

William was healthy as can be... Apgars of 9/10. They pricked him to get
First off, great job making the decision you needed to. I think planning for the VBAC might have made the final C/S easier on you since you knew exactly what was going on.

Seems like that previous abdominal surgery had quite a bit to do with how things turned out. I hope you heal more throughly from the 2 C/Ss, those adhesions sound painful.

Okay, so you've got to share what you've been eating during the pregnancy. Obviously, whatever it is went straight into William and was super-healthy for him. You don't have to share, but I'm guessing that you personally didn't gain that much weight even though he's so large.

Your kids are absolutely adorable, thank you for posting pictures. William looks like a little doll.

Way to go!!!
#33 of 52 Old 05-03-2005, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan
Seems like that previous abdominal surgery had quite a bit to do with how things turned out.
Yes, exactly. The issue was that for me, and UNplanned c-section could have been disastrous, i.e., having to have a c-section quickly without being able to take time to enter the abdominal cavity and if the c-sec had to take place asap and they couldn't get a General Surgeon in time (to assist with cutting through adhesions). That's why my choices were basically natural vaginal delivery or planned c-section... interventions such as pitocin or a prolonged labor (due to a HUGE baby!) were not an option. When it became clear that my chances of a having successful VBAC were being significantly impacted by several factors (a very, VERY large for gestational age fetus who was seriously malpositioned, high amniotic fluid, and a need to avoid unplanned c-sec at all costs), then a planned c-sec was the best decision for me!

Quote:
Okay, so you've got to share what you've been eating during the pregnancy. Obviously, whatever it is went straight into him and was super-healthy for him. You don't have to share, but I'm guessing that you personally didn't gain that much weight even though he's so large.
Awwww. I gained 42 lbs. actually. But I did eat very healthy food (usually!). People usually are surprised to learn that I did not have Gestational Diabetes... not even close. I was tested for it several times (see my OP) but always passed with flying colors...well under the normal limts. Interesting that he had a HUGE umbilical cord. My mom remembered that my brother and I (both well over 9 lbs. ourselves) did too. The thing didn't fall off for 3 weeks! Lots of nutrients going to that boy!

He's 17 lbs. 26" now - still off the charts... just where he's supposed to be!

Thank you everyone for your support. It feels great to get such positive reactions from mamas (like myself) who take great pride in all things natural, and understanding why the decision to have a planned c-sec (something I NEVER thought I'd do) was more empowering to me because it was such an informed decision and that I felt I was in charge of my birth every step of the way.
#34 of 52 Old 05-03-2005, 05:42 PM

I'm a friend of Periwinkle's IRL, and my 2 month old dd hit William's birth weight last week. I looked at her and said YIKES : that's a big baby to be a newborn! It's hard to believe they're practically the same age...she's not quite 11 pounds and 21.5 inches!

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#35 of 52 Old 05-03-2005, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quirky
my 2 month old dd hit William's birth weight last week. I looked at her and said YIKES : that's a big baby to be a newborn!
Don't tell me she's outgrowing dd's old newborn clothes ?! Am I going to have to drag out her 6M bin from the attic already?! (My long-n-chunky son is now officially in 9M clothes at 2.75 months, and older ds' 9M clothes were all for winter. arrgghhh!). Thank g*d for the Hanna Andersson outlet...
#36 of 52 Old 02-01-2006, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

bumping for Karin and others
#37 of 52 Old 02-19-2006, 02:19 AM
Banned

Wow! What a story! ITA and understand your feelings about the planned c=section vs. emergency/unplanned.
#38 of 52 Old 02-19-2006, 02:26 AM

congrats!

knit.gifMom of Many  jumpers.gif

#39 of 52 Old 02-19-2006, 03:52 AM

I LOVE a happy birth story!! I am just tickled to read that you trusted your instincts, made informed decision and had the support you needed- YEAH!!!

What a beautiful story!

Kristina in Kitsap County, WA
Doula, Student Midwife, Mama, Wife & More
http://redspiral.blogspot.com
#40 of 52 Old 02-23-2006, 11:48 PM

Congrats You followed your instincts and did the right thing.
Happy to hear you had a good experience.

Single mom to ds(8), dd(6) and ds(5)

#41 of 52 Old 06-20-2006, 08:52 PM

Thank you very much for posting your c/s story. It's similar to my situation now, and I appreciated reading it. BTW, how did you find healing?
#42 of 52 Old 06-25-2006, 11:14 PM

OwensMa! I met you once at the Waterloo OYEC. How are things going?

Wishing you positive birth vibes!!

Don't know where things stand or if I've come to this too late, but PM if you feel like chatting about what's going on. We had planned a hb with ds, but ended up being transferred and having a C/S. While it was a shock and scary, I came to accept that it was the only choice for us. If things indicate that our situation repeats itself with the next, it's very likely that I may choose a planned C/S. A healthy baby trumps any other scenarios, as beautiful and natural as they may be.

ps if you must be transferred, see about having it done on Dr. Shannon's shift. He was wonderful - very respectful and gentle. He works well with the MWs, and greatly respects the work they do.
#43 of 52 Old 06-26-2006, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

OwensMa, best of luck. Here is a link to a thread I started about post-op meds. I hope it's helpful.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=247218

Re: healing, the first couple of days are the worst and then it was very rapid for me. I was feeling good enough to be up and around within a few days, and near 100% by the end of 1 month so not too much different from natural delivery. Everyone is different though.
#44 of 52 Old 06-26-2006, 04:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You know what I love - an informed mama who knows what's in the best interest of herself and her baby and chooses that instead of going for what's easiest or letting someone else make the decision for her. Yay for you! Congratulations on your little one!

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
#45 of 52 Old 06-29-2006, 12:09 AM

Good choice!

Couldn't they have used a late u/s to determine the positioning?

Enjoy your baby!
Oana
#46 of 52 Old 06-29-2006, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Couldn't they have used a late u/s to determine the positioning?
They did! But then when I felt really really hard KICKS against my cervix I knew his feet were still down and that, in combination with lots of amniotic fluid, is a terrible combination.
#47 of 52 Old 05-16-2007, 10:23 PM - Thread Starter

bump for post-NICU moms.
#48 of 52 Old 05-17-2007, 09:15 PM

I haven't read all the comments, so maybe someone has already said this, but

THANKS for sharing!!! As much as I find myself talking smack about c-secs, they really are medical miracles when necessary. I think you're right about making an informed decision and MAKING the decision for yourself!!

Thanks so much!

Jodi -full time working wife to a SAH Papa; mama to my boys Breck (12/04), David (09/07), and Elliot (01/10); always remembering our loss, Jordyn Justine (09/06)

#49 of 52 Old 03-12-2008, 10:09 PM

Periwinkle:

Thanks so much for posting this story.

After being told by one doctor that a vbac would probably be ok, I was told today (by the OB in the practice who actually performed my first c-section) that not only would he recommend a repeat, scheduled C, he'd recommend having two doctors present in the OR for the surgery.

Essentially, lots of my internal organs are stuck together with adhesions due to an appendix leak when I was a child. The doctor who did my c-section last time (I had a breech twin) said (at the time) that I have "the worst abdomen he's ever seen" and it "looks like a grenade went off in there." He didn't use the term "frozen pelvis" until today, at my 17-week appointment (although he did the C-section, he's not my regular doctor & I hadn't seen him yet as part of this pg.)

I've been flailing around the web looking for information and found your story. Thank you; it's really helped me deal with this. Not sure yet what will happen but I'm grateful to you.

Decluttering SAHM of three. Going for 2011 items in 2011.
#50 of 52 Old 03-12-2008, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter

Good luck. Adhesions are really hard to deal with sometimes - the pain when you cough/sneeze/twist to bigger things like how to birth. It's a hard decision and just research the hell out of it like I did and then, above all else, go with your gut.
#51 of 52 Old 03-19-2008, 03:11 PM

Your story is amazing. I wish this line could be broadcast everywhere:

"I realized that the best outcome is not always the natural perfect delivery, but the one where the woman makes a completely informed choice and both mama and baby are healthiest in the end."
#52 of 52 Old 03-19-2008, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Periwinkle View Post
I realized that the best outcome is not always the natural perfect delivery, but the one where the woman makes a completely informed choice and both mama and baby are healthiest in the end. I owned this birth more than my natural delivery of dd. This was my birth, my way.
This is such a beautiful statement.

hh2.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page