called Pam (midwife) at 8
dd woke at 8
dh woke at 8:30 so we can go on a walk
went for a walk to get coffee and contractions are stronger
called midwife and she suggested I rest for later
ate some lunch and then napped for half an hour
3pm contractions were strong enough to wake me up
2pm- woke up and peed. Lost lots more mucous, clear to dark brownish-red
3:30- things have slowed down a lot. Maybe one contraction an hour and not as intense.
Called Pam and she suggested that things might pick up later this evening.
6:45- Nipple stimulation seems to be working and quickly. Just 2 minutes and the first one.
7:30- feels like my cervix is a bit more open, just a bit though
10pm - they are more painful now, I have to moan through them, dd just went to bed, dh made me a strawberry sno-cone
1am - Pam came by, monitored baby's heartbeat, timed contractions a bit. Suggested I take some sleepy herbs and try to get some rest. To bed with me!
2:30am- they are coming in a pattern. One really painful one that makes me want to just completely loose control then two that I can deal with just by breathing. I'm only comfortable sitting on the toilet for the strong one.

Around 3 I decided it would be a good idea to get the pool going. I got in a hot bath to ease my need for immersion. I tried to call dh from the bathroom (nearly all the way across the house) hoping that the baby monitor in Amara’s (dd) room would pick up my voice. I tried several times and eventually got out of the tub. Shawn is a really heavy sleeper and he hadn’t gotten much sleep the night before with my tossing and then waking him early.
Shawn (dh) got the tub going and I was in the bath. I was vocalizing loudly with each contraction. He’d stick his head in the bathroom every now and then as he ran around trying to get things prepared.
About 3:45 I needed to get out of the tub. I went and put on a bra and a tank top that I had set out earlier to wear in the tub. Then I lay on the couch on my side. I had a towel down in case any mucous escaped.
Shawn asked when we should call Pam and I told him to call her and describe what was happening and she could decide when it was time to come because I wasn’t sure when she needed to be there.
He called at 10 till 4. I lay on the couch and had what felt like contraction after contraction without a break in between.
At 4:12 (Shawn noted the time) my water broke dramatically. It arched up and hit my top leg and then cascaded down. It was really loud, at least to my surprised ears. This was the moment I realized I was really in labor and he would be born soon. I had been until that point not convinced that I was truly in labor. I didn’t want to get to hopeful in case it stopped.
I called Shawn in the room and asked him if the water was clear, he said it was. I ran to the toilet as it had provided a lot of relief and comfort to me before (and I thought it would be a good place to sit since my water had broken). Right after I sat down Shawn told me Pam arrived. She came in the bathroom and stood with me a moment then ran right back out to get her birth supplies. I heard her but I don’t think I responded much. It was really focused inwardly and my only question was whether the pool was ready.
It was still cool but I got in the water anyway. Shawn added more hot water and that felt nice. I held onto the hose during a contraction and tried to move it around to spread the heat. I had a really hard time doing both things at once.

From that moment things become unclear.
Sometime right after I got in the pool Amara woke up. I heard her and told Shawn. Pam was closer and went to get her. She seemed surprised but not upset. Shawn went with her and reminded her what was happening. He also turned on her movie. At this point I could still talk a little.
I told Shawn not to ask me questions while I was having a contraction. It was irritating because I couldn’t answer. I also didn’t really want to be touched.
I was mostly comforted seeing that Shawn was sitting on the couch next to Amara and that she was okay. I could see him from the pool where he was sitting and that was all I needed.

I could feel his head moving down. The bones felt like they were grinding and it was uncomfortable and disturbing. I know I asked several times how much longer and each time was told “not much longer”. I didn’t like that answer. I wanted it exactly!
Pam was moving around the kitchen getting things ready and writing on records. I was irritated that she was so chipper and excited.
I could feel him moving down and quickly realized that the folded up skin with a bit of hair was not my skin but his head. I called Shawn in to feel. At first he was confused by what he was feeling but seemed excited when he realized what it was.

I stayed mostly on my knees letting the water support me. I wanted to sit down on my side to rest my legs between contractions but they came so close together that I couldn’t and so my legs got really tired and the position numbed my feet.
At some point around 4:45 I started to push but didn’t recognize it as pushing. When I did I tried to push along with my contractions but it hurt so I stopped.
I think I sputtered out works like “burning” and “stretching”. Pam suggested that I not push to slow it down. I told her I wasn’t. I continued to complain the whole time though!

Once I could feel the huge bulge of his head pushing down I just held my hand there amazed. I could feel my perineum stretch and thought it might tear because it was stretched so much. I felt the most stretching and burning in the front. I tried to lean back thinking it might put more pressure on the perineum and I would have preferred to tear toward the back than the front. It didn’t seem to matter how I moved the burning feeling remained in the front. I put my hand there to try to support myself. I’m not sure how much difference it made though. (I did have an abrasion between my inner and outer labia on the left side, just where I felt the most pain).

When I realized that more of his head was coming out I called in Shawn and told him to bring Amara. At one point I could feel a bit of something on the side and realized it was his ear so I felt the other side and could feel the tip of his other ear. I told Shawn that I could feel his ear and I think his response was just a big smile.
Once his entire head was out I pushed a bit and the rest of him came sliding out easily.
I didn’t let him stay in the water long, I grabbed him right up and held him to my chest. I asked if he was a indeed a boy.

The cord was wrapped around his arm and shoulder. Pam later suggested that might be why early labor was so extended and came on and off, he may have needed a lot of time to get in a better position for birth.

born at 5:26am
7lbs 3oz
20" long
13.5" head

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 16 Old 08-16-2005, 12:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Congratz on your new baby! What a great birth .

#3 of 16 Old 08-16-2005, 03:40 AM

GREAT story, mama, way to go!

(P.S. I'm a fellow NFB mama and had my baby two weeks ago! just wanted to say so)
#4 of 16 Old 08-16-2005, 07:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamao'two
Pam was moving around the kitchen getting things ready and writing on records. I was irritated that she was so chipper and excited.

I tell you what - for your next birth, I'm sitting in the other room! I'll smile to myself. That's what I get for having a friend as a client, huh? :LOL
#5 of 16 Old 08-17-2005, 06:58 PM

great birth! thanks for sharing!
#6 of 16 Old 08-19-2005, 12:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
deleted post.
#7 of 16 Old 08-19-2005, 12:49 PM

That was a beautiful birth and beautiful pics also!

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
#8 of 16 Old 08-22-2005, 06:38 PM

Way to GO, mama! You did it!

Congratulations on your new baby boy to love!

And lucky, lucky you to have Pam as your midwife - even if her chipperness bugged you in the moment! :LOL

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#9 of 16 Old 08-23-2005, 02:44 PM

Congratulations on your baby boy!!!

Jen read.gif Mama of 2 precious boys blowkiss.gif (9)  flowersforyou.gif (6)  and still in heartbeat.gif with my Matt hat.gif after 12 years together. 

rainbow1284.gif Domestic Violence Children's Advocate and Counselor hug2.gif

homebirth.jpg bf.jpg nocirc.gif ribbonjigsaw.gif 

#10 of 16 Old 08-23-2005, 03:06 PM

Congratulations! Thank you for sharing your wonderful story. Enjoy your babymoon!
#11 of 16 Old 08-23-2005, 03:14 PM

Congrats! And great story!
#12 of 16 Old 08-23-2005, 08:06 PM

Awww cute story!
Congrats to you!
#13 of 16 Old 09-06-2005, 10:46 AM

Lovely story!!
#14 of 16 Old 09-12-2005, 04:46 PM

Such a great story! Congratulations!
#15 of 16 Old 09-14-2005, 09:39 AM

What a wonderful birth story!

Thank you for sharing.

BettyAnn
going to have vbac in Jan'06
#16 of 16 Old 08-14-2007, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

Happy birthday to my boy!

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?

User Tag List