The Unassisted Birth of Piper Mackenzie - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 10-04-2005, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just as a preamble to this story: Throughout this pregnancy I had envisioned giving birth to this baby unassisted. I never posted on the UC board but I lurked and learned a lot, and read tons of UC stories. I even thought I would go without prenatal care. I did move from one birthing center to another late in the pregnancy because the place was getting too mainstream on me. So I found a midwife who I just got a better overall vibe with. But honestly the midwife was more for my DH's piece of mind :LOL I convinced him we'd call at the "last minute" with the option to call sooner if we needed to.

Also, a week before Piper was born I had "false labor". I really thought the baby was coming. Having regular contractions getting closer together etc, keeping me awake, etc. I ended up calling the midwife to give her that "heads up" people talk about. Then we called the lady to set up the birth pool and while she was setting it up my labor completely stopped. After a few days DH and I talked and I figured out that going agains my intuition had kind of messed with things: as in, calling the midwife too soon...oh yeah and having my mom pick up Jakob when I wanted him there, etc. Also, the day after the pool was set up and labor stopped, that night I had a dream about being stuck under water with the baby. It seemed like a message from the baby that it wasn't wanting to be born in the water. So, we had the pool taken away and decided to stick with our original plan. And this is what happened:

It’s Friday around 1:30pm and I was just hanging up the phone after talking to MIL. I was going to go over and visit her with DS Jakob, but Jamie and I both decided I should just stay home. Good thing! One of the things we had talked about was how one of her births with DH’s sister had been extremely fast, and we mentioned how nice it would be to meet this baby really soon.

Well, as soon as I hung up the phone some real contractions started. I knew this was it, there wasn’t any question. I decided to lie on the couch that I was sitting on. I lay on my side and was breathing through contractions. They were probably 5 minutes apart at this point and painful like bad menstrual cramps. I was really liking being able to rest in between and very happy that I was having no back labor this time.

I’m just guessing on the time but I’m thinking it was about 1:45pm when Jakob woke up with wet underpants. So I decided we’d both hop in the tub. We took a nice hot bath. I felt pretty well in control but noticed the contractions were getting closer. I quickly got us out of the tub and got Jakob situated in front the television. I pulled out a Sponge Bob DVD…not something he usually watches, but I knew it would keep his attention so I could focus on myself and the baby.

Around 2pm, just as I was thinking of calling Jamie, he called me instead. The contractions were getting stronger and I told him to get home. I did say to stop at Blockbuster and get Jakob the movie “Dinosaur”. Once we hung up I retreated to the back of the apartment. I was starting to feel a little bit panicked, and I though, “Transition already?” The breathing was not quite doing the trick anymore. I found myself on the toilet a few times, then I got up and walked the hallway stopping to lean on the wall or doorway here and there. Then I was in the bedroom at the foot of the bed on all fours but my head and arms supported by the bed. I was burying my head in the pillow and was starting to make a lot of noise! I was so quiet with Jakob, this was very different. There was no back labor thank goodness! But things were very intense and painful. Things were moving really fast and I was making these noises like a tiger…I really mean I was growling! I made other animal noises too, wailing noises, lowing noises. It really kept me focused and I felt it helping my body to open up. I also started to feel a bit nauseous and realized this baby would be arriving very soon. Jakob came in to see what all the noise was about and I explained it was to help me feel better. He said, “Okay” He tried to jump on the bed but I told him “No way, not now” and to go watch his show and let mommy do what she needed to feel better. And he did just that. Jamie got home he thinks around 2:45pm and by this time I am feeling my body do some pushing. I no longer am trying to muffle my sounds and my contractions are very strong and close, I’m growling and now I’m no longer using the bed for support but pretty much in a child’s pose with head down on my arms on the floor and my knees under me but spread open.

I start thinking maybe I should have my mom come and get Jakob after all, I was just feeling so panicky at this point. I thought maybe it would be easier for Jamie to focus on me. But as it turns out she was an hour and a half away. I’m actually really glad that Jakob was able to stay and watch his baby sister being born. Oh and Jamie also called the midwife at this time.

I didn’t really even want Jamie touching me or talking to me anyway. And I told him, “Please talk to me as little as possible” and then I continued growling and was swinging my hips a little sometimes and my body was pushing all by itself here and there. I tried feeling for the baby’s head at one point but couldn’t feel it. I kept making my noises and said, "Open, open" and I said, "Come on baby".

With the pushing a little bit of fluid and blood was coming so Jamie was trying to get the shower curtain under me. I didn’t want it and told him to forget it because the baby would be here any second. Well, he managed to get it under me. I felt the baby coming down and a little bit after 3pm the baby was crowning. I reached down and felt the squishy skin on the top of the baby’s head. I was still in my child’s pose position and now I was feeling the urge to push with my body. It was great to just push how and when I felt the need and not when someone told me to.

The head started to emerge and DH said, “I see the head….how am I supposed to catch the baby?” I said, “Just do it” Jamie said to push because the head was just out to about the mouth. Later he told me first the top of the head emerged and just her eyes were showing and they opened up and looked at him. Then the head was out to around the mouth and Jamie told me to push because I wasn’t at this point. So I gave a good push and her head was out, then maybe 2 or 3 pushes and out came her body and that’s when the waters broke. Jamie said, “We have a baby”. And later Jamie told me that Jakob said, “The baby is here” and that he had just stood and watched intently.

Then I turned over and Jamie handed me the baby. I was washed over with amazement and relief and started sobbing. It had all happened so fast and here was my baby in my arms. I looked and said, “We have a baby girl!” I’m so glad we kept it a surprise. I just sat there sitting in a puddle of fluid, staring at her. I couldn’t believe she was in my arms, it had happened so fast! I started sobbing again.

The placenta came out with a few pushes about 10 minutes after the baby was born. The midwife showed up 10 minutes later . This is how I had told my husband I wanted it to be…that we’d call at the last minute and the baby would arrive before the midwife. And Jakob would be there with us too. And that is how it happened.

Oh, and it was nice to have the midwife there afterwards to help get things situated, to clean up and check us all out. We are not sure if we are going to have more babies, I would like to to have 2 more at some point although I don't know if we will or when. Is so, I'd like to UC again. But I would keep my same midwife for prenatal care and also in case I really felt I needed her around during labor.

Piper Mackenzie Lindfors
Born 3:17pm on September 30th 2005
8lbs 4oz
20 ½ inches long
Strawberry blondish hair

P.S. I could write a million more things about this experience, it has completely blown my mind in so many ways!

#2 of 7 Old 10-04-2005, 08:56 PM

Congrats Mama!!!! What a beautiful story, and you're so fortunate that it went just like you'd envisioned it. Have a great babymoon!!!

Bethany, mama to M (9), J (7), S (4), and baby BOY 9/13/10!!
#3 of 7 Old 10-05-2005, 10:00 AM

What an inspiring story! Thankyou for sharing, and congratulations!

Kath contented vegan mama to my trio of free-range boys
Permaculture Design Student & Wannabe Urban Homesteader
#4 of 7 Old 10-05-2005, 08:06 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Happy BabyMoon..... Baby Piper!!!!

I love her name by the way....
#5 of 7 Old 10-06-2005, 03:03 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Congratulations and for the happy parents.

Well begun is really half done!
#6 of 7 Old 10-14-2005, 10:56 AM

Great story... I hope to be writing mine soon...
Emilie
#7 of 7 Old 10-22-2005, 09:58 PM

Wow, I just lvoe all the ways you listened to your body & your babe along the way. Congratulations on a beautiful birth ~ thanks for sharing.

teapot2.GIF Mama to my sweet girls: notes.gif (2/02) and energy.gif (2/08) and brokenheart.gif 3/11 and now belly.gif  EDD 5/24/14

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page