1 hour, 40 minute Homebirth with Hypno - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 49 Old 12-11-2005, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
After two easy simple natural pregnancies my third pregnancy shook things up. There were a lot of medical issues that I didn't even know existed! I went to an OB for the first time ever, I was in the hospital for the first time ever since I was born myself, and my family and friends were really asked to go the extra mile to help bring this baby into the world. I can't thank the online community of MDC enough for support, wisdom and information at every step along the way. Thank you!

After a pregnancy chalked full of hyperemesis and then premature rupture of membranes at 31 weeks; I really didn't expect to go overdue. I was jus so grateful to make it to 37 weeks with a healthy baby! 38 weeks, 39 weeks, 40 weeks, 41 weeks... my weeks were passing right on by with no baby! I was as patient and trusting as I could be.

In the mean time, I had lots of Prodromal Labor. Contraction after contraction that just wasn't quite labor! The 2 days before our 3rd child's birth my Prodromal Labor really picked up. It was as if I kept going in and out of labor. Contractions were more intense, patterned and lasting long in duration.

On Saturday, December 10th, 2005, I was really tired of dealing with so many contractions with no labor. I was concerned that the baby was in a bad position & maybe that was holding labor off? The Midwife we hired was in town for a prenatal and offered to come over to check positioning. She thought she could be at my house at 3pm. She lives a distance away from us and the roads were slick from a recent snowstorm.

At 2:30pm, I got my one-way ticket out of Prodromal Labor Land; my water broke as I was leaning over my birth ball. I asked my husband Jason for a towel and then to get the kids (Jude 4, Cicely 21 mos) over to our friend Jenn's house. As he handed me the towel, I quickly hopped online & posted that my water broke. Jason made fun of me and we laughed... yes, I'm a geek!!!

I kissed the kids goodbye. It was bittersweet to kiss Cicely, because I knew her position in the family would change the most. Soon, she'd have a little sister or brother.

By myself at home, the contractions were coming quickly and strongly. I'd have a couple smaller ones followed by a bigger one. These were REAL contractions, not the easy ones I’d had for days on end.

I got the birth supplies out, changed the message on the answering machine alerting callers that the stork was circling, grabbed the digital camera and was ready to head upstairs when Jason and Pat both separately pulled into the driveway. A half hour had passed since my water broke.

Pat checked the baby’s heart tones and positioning. It was hard to do, because the contractions were coming so close together. Everything looked good. I said I was going to head upstairs.

I didn’t feel any urge to have Pat around during my labor. I didn’t want anyone but Jason. The plan was for Jason to call her to come during labor when he felt it was time. Her job was to stay downstairs unless I requested her to come upstairs. The way things worked out she was already at our house and there was no need for Jason to decide to call her or not. Pat respected our space and just stayed downstairs.

I asked Jason to prepare our bed for birth while I got in the shower. He joined me a few minutes later. I wasn’t sure what I wanted to do. I was feeling really antsy and then tired in between contractions. Usually Jason and I laugh and joke and sing during labor, but this one was throwing me for a loop. I didn’t want to do that. There didn’t seem to be time to enjoy laboring as husband and wife.

Jason suggested we go to the bed. I had no clue what I wanted to do and the idea of a nap sounded really nice. As soon as I laid down labor intensified significantly. Jason read from a list of affirmations I had posted near the bed. It seemed like one contraction after another. Jason helped me stay centered and prepared for the long haul.

I had to use the bathroom and we managed somehow to get there. I peed the tiniest amount and then was pushing during part of each contraction. I felt really confused suddenly. I didn’t know why I was pushing since my labor only just began.

We went back to bed and I called for Pat. As soon as she hit the stairs, my body started full on pushing despite my mind willing me not to. I felt so disoriented. I was laying on my side not really sure how I got there. THEN, I felt the baby in my birth canal.

I laughed and said, ”The baby is coming!” Neither Jason nor I realized at that point that the end was so near. We’d been prepared for many hours of labor… not one hour from when Jason returned home!

I asked for hot compresses and Pat disappeared to get them. Jason held the compresses on me and I pushed our baby easily out. Its head came out after a few pushes and I prepared for a much needed break before its shoulders were ready, but instead I got another contraction right away. I pushed out the shoulders and our baby was on my chest.

The baby was all purple blue and took a little while to breathe. It opened its eyes and looked at Jason. It was probably a little shocked that just an hour and forty minutes ago there was no sign of labor and now it was expected to breathe air!

I instinctively rubbed the baby and I think it was Jason who suggested facing the baby downward. Soon it let out a gurgle and a little mew. We were not worried during this short time, partly because the umbilical cord was not clamped and thus still providing the baby with oxegen.

I couldn’t see the baby very well, but I reached down to feel if it was a boy or a girl. I couldn’t feel any testicles. I said, “It feels like a girl to me, but you should look, Jason.” He lifted one of the legs and said, “Oh, it’s a girl! It’s Josephine!”

From there we marveled at her chubbiness, deep brown eyes, curled ears and little rosebud lips. We could not believe that she came so fast and so easily. We felt so blessed to meet her.

Welcome Josephine!

Baby Josephine and Daddy

STATS:
Josephine (Joie - pronounced like Joey)
8 lbs, 4 oz
22 inches long
Healthy & Happy!
Mama had no problems, no tears. no need for a peri bottle

Just to help with search terms: HypnoBirthing HypnoBabies HypBirth Imagery Birthing Midwife Homebirth Hyperemesis PROM Premature rupture of membranes preemie

Spark and her four firecrackers.
#2 of 49 Old 12-11-2005, 09:53 PM

Congratulations. she is just beautiful
I know exactly how if feels to have that kind of labor - actually our stories are a bit similar. My labor was 90 minutes of active labor - and like you days of prodromal that never got me anywhere..(though appearently they did do something since my little girl could get out so quickly)
I too was shocked since my first labor was 50 hours and a quick birth was the LAST birth I had imagined..
How are you feeling now?
Personally I had a hard time believing that we actually had the baby. I hate to say it but I even felt slightly cheated that my labor was so short. I too felt like it had only just begun when I held my daughter in my arms.
Thanks for sharing!

Inca

Single mom to ds(8), dd(6) and ds(5)

#3 of 49 Old 12-11-2005, 10:03 PM

. What a great story Claire. Congrats to you and your family.
#4 of 49 Old 12-11-2005, 10:18 PM

Claire, thanks so much for sharing your wonderful homebirth story!!

#5 of 49 Old 12-11-2005, 10:39 PM

Thanks for sharing your beautiful story!! What great pics, too... I love the "Born at Home" one. She is beautiful!
#6 of 49 Old 12-11-2005, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spark
I got the birth supplies out, changed the message on the answering machine alerting callers that the stork was circling, grabbed the digital camera and was ready to head upstairs when Jason and Pat both separately pulled into the driveway. A half hour had passed since my water broke.
Meanwhile, WOW! You really had your head on your shoulders. I am very impressed, mama!
#7 of 49 Old 12-11-2005, 10:47 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Congratulations on your beautiful new arrival!

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#8 of 49 Old 12-11-2005, 10:59 PM

What a beautiful story Claire! I'm reading it. The part about saying goodbye to Cicely was so sweet!

Mama of 2 boys, 5 girls.grouphug.gif

#9 of 49 Old 12-11-2005, 11:08 PM

WOOOHOOO! You did it girl.

Poopoo to all of those that sent you negative advice. See...you DO know what you are doing!!! What a great testamnet to women!

#10 of 49 Old 12-11-2005, 11:59 PM

thanks for sharing mama. happy tears!
#11 of 49 Old 12-12-2005, 12:13 AM

: : :
#12 of 49 Old 12-12-2005, 12:20 AM

Yeah, Claire!! How wonderful!!! I love the part about your being confused...know that feeling Third birth's a wild card--that's for sure.

She's a beauty

Welcome to the world, Josephine!!!

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#13 of 49 Old 12-12-2005, 12:41 AM

Absolutely beautiful! I'm so proud of you, mama...

Mama K: Child of God, wife to S, mama to 3 little beauties and 1 handsome little guy!

#14 of 49 Old 12-12-2005, 12:47 AM

Congrats. Your beautiful story made me cry. Freaking hormones. Give baby Josephine some snuggles for us in Texas.

Tamara: hs'ing Christian mom of five here and five in Heaven. Joyfully awaiting Punkin, coming mid-Sept!
#15 of 49 Old 12-12-2005, 12:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Aww, what a great birth story! She is soo cute too! AWWWWW!!! Happy Babymooning, mama!!

Desiree

#16 of 49 Old 12-12-2005, 01:59 AM

: Lovely . . . and she is quite a cutie!
#17 of 49 Old 12-12-2005, 02:57 AM

awesome birth and story claire. didnt i tell you just to keep pushing?! hehe

joie is darling, and looks so incredibly tiny in the teensiest fuzbomb known to man...i never would have believed that it would actually fit on a baby!
#18 of 49 Old 12-12-2005, 03:24 AM

First off, Josephine. And that look on your dh's face! Precious...

Secondly, love how your mw didn't interfere.

Thirdly, love the "search tearms" idea.
#19 of 49 Old 12-12-2005, 03:45 AM

Congrats Claire!! How nice to be back and to hear that your baby has arrived!!!!!!! PS- that sounds alot like my 3rd labor too!! Happy Baby Moon!!

Mommy to five wonderful earthlings, and one on the way supporter Humble Wife and Mother Learning to live through Jesus!
#20 of 49 Old 12-12-2005, 03:55 AM

claire you are awesome! I still you : Congrats, what a beautiful girl you have!
#21 of 49 Old 12-12-2005, 11:25 AM

I read your birth story it is the first one I have ever read it made me cry drat my pregnancy hormones.lol
#22 of 49 Old 12-12-2005, 12:31 PM

what a beautiful birth story! congratulations and welcome baby joie!

#23 of 49 Old 12-12-2005, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

I have two hands to type for a moment, so let me answer questions and just THANK YOU to all of you who commented! I've come to read but couldn't type. Ooh, baby stirs, I don't know how long I have...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inca
Congratulations. she is just beautiful
I know exactly how if feels to have that kind of labor - actually our stories are a bit similar. My labor was 90 minutes of active labor - and like you days of prodromal that never got me anywhere..(though appearently they did do something since my little girl could get out so quickly)
I too was shocked since my first labor was 50 hours and a quick birth was the LAST birth I had imagined..
How are you feeling now?
Personally I had a hard time believing that we actually had the baby. I hate to say it but I even felt slightly cheated that my labor was so short. I too felt like it had only just begun when I held my daughter in my arms.
Thanks for sharing!

Inca
It's not yet been 48 hours and I actually feel really good. With such a rocky pregnancy I really did a lot of mental work on expectations; how to deal with not having things turned out as planned. I was really doing my best to stay "open" to whatever birth presented itself. I think that was really key in being able to weather a short birth.

I know it probably seems really weird to be talking about the challenges of having a quick birth. It seems to go against what so many people think -- short birth = easy, right? Well, I can honestly say that I was as tired after my 1 hour, 40 minutes as I was after my 18 hour birth with my first. It's just like everything is intensified and there's not as much "down" time. It's like running track - you can run the 2 mile or the 60 yard sprint, but you're still just as winded when you cross the finish line. The pacing is just different.

#24 of 49 Old 12-12-2005, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by devonc
Meanwhile, WOW! You really had your head on your shoulders. I am very impressed, mama!
I was all by myself right then as I was getting things together. I really loved being by myself while in labor. I think I'm more of a mama cat (
Halloween Costume as Proof) when I go into labor. I want to be alone (or with my DH). I like to do what I want to do. That just seemed like what needed to be done.

It's interesting to find what your "labor style" is. Mama cat is mine!

#25 of 49 Old 12-12-2005, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by candipooh
WOOOHOOO! You did it girl.

Poopoo to all of those that sent you negative advice. See...you DO know what you are doing!!! What a great testamnet to women!

Thank you. I can NOT tell you how thankful I am that we chose the path we did to handle that premature rupture. Whew. It was the best decision for our baby for sure. Soooo nice to have a juicy chubby overdue baby (she's already holding her head up!!!).

#26 of 49 Old 12-12-2005, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry
awesome birth and story claire. didnt i tell you just to keep pushing?! hehe

joie is darling, and looks so incredibly tiny in the teensiest fuzbomb known to man...i never would have believed that it would actually fit on a baby!
Yeah, the FuzBomb is actually a little too big. It still covers her cord. When it falls off, she'll be in it for sure!

Thank you for the pushing advice. Really, as I knew labor was within a few days, I started to get anxious about that again. I really want to thank the people who were so patient and just repeated what they'd said already and added more advice. Really helped me sooo much!!!

#27 of 49 Old 12-12-2005, 02:48 PM

yay Claire what a wonderful ending to the trials and tribulations of the past 9 (almost 10!) months. I can't wait to meet Joie tomorrow (oh yeah, and see you ).

you are such a strong woman. I heart you

namaste.gif

#28 of 49 Old 12-12-2005, 07:38 PM

Congratulations, Claire! Happy Babymoon!
#29 of 49 Old 12-13-2005, 05:05 AM

Congratulations, Claire!!!! I am so very happy for you and your family! Give little Josephine a big hug for me!
#30 of 49 Old 12-13-2005, 11:22 AM

Congratulations and enjoy your babymoon and beautiful roly-poly yet tiny looking Joie.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page