Noemi's induction for pre-eclampsia at 37 weeks after planned HB - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 03-06-2006, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We got to OB triage around 11:30am on Tuesday, 02/28/06. They checked my blood pressure and it was running in the 170s/110s. I peed in a cup so they could check for protein and that came back at 500, so they decided to admit me for induction. The doctor on call, luckily a woman doctor, came in and told me that I had severe pre-eclampsia and that they needed to get the baby delivered as soon as possible. She told me that they were going to start me on magnesium sulfate and since I was already dilated to 2-3cm and 70% effaced, they would start the pitocin. My labs were okay except for my uric acid which was elevated and the protein in my urine. My pressures made them very nervous. Had they only known I had been walking around for almost 2 weeks with pressures like that and a little lower. Cleaning, shopping, etc.

They started the magnesium sulfate at around 1:30pm. I hadn't eaten, so I didn't throw up like I did when I had it with Abby. It did make me feel hot and icky, but not throwing up helped. I had purposely only had a protein shake for breakfast because I knew they were going to put me on the mag. They came to do an U/S since I had no records they could see and the baby was only measuring 35 weeks or so. I was exactly 37 weeks and 1 day and I am very sure of my dates. My blood pressure being so high the last weeks probably didn't allow the baby to grow as well.

Around 2:30pm, they finally found a triple pump and got the pitocin started. I was stuck to the monitor and laying down pretty flat because my blood pressures were still 170s/110s, sometimes higher, sometimes a little less. The nurse had originally said that because my pressures were so high, I would have to use bedpan, but luckily the doctor said I could get up and use the restroom when I wanted to.

The pump kept having problems and it kept stopping. The beeping from my BP being taken every 15 minutes and being so high and the pump beeping was driving me crazy. I occasionally listened to my Hypnobabies CDs and that helped a lot. The contractions were starting, but not consistent, which we later discovered was because the pump wasn't working and I wasn't getting the full dose, so they kept increasing it. At 5:15pm, the doctor came in to check me. She said I was the same. She broke my water to help speed things along. At shift change, the doctor came in and I was still the same. At around 8pm, she said that I wasn't progressing and she wanted to put in an IUPC to see if my contractions were effective. The night nurse finally figured out how to fix the pump and all of a sudden I was getting major contractions. It was like going from being able to talk through them, to them being 2 minutes apart and getting really strong. I was finally getting the pitocin, but it was at 28units by then. Ouch. I was really afraid of not progressing and ending up with a c-section.

Luckily, once I was actually getting the pitocin again, things started to progress a little. At 9pm or so, I was at 4-5cm and 80% effaced, -1 station. The contractions were really frequent then and I was not talking anymore, just concentrating on the contractions. I got up to pee, hoping that the walking would help to get baby to move down a bit, since I was laboring almost flat on my back. I took my time, sat and even squatted in the bathroom for a minute, hoping to help things a bit.

By almost 10pm, I was very frustrated. I was still 4-5cm, and I had gotten up to go to the bathroom again. The doctor was suggesting an epidural to help relax me and I didn't want one. But, my back and legs and but were so sore from laying in one position that I couldn't even focus on the contractions anymore. I was crying because I was just mad and frustrated about having to be laying down to labor. The nurse asked about an epidural and I said no. She asked if I wanted some Stadol and I said I didn't know, that I didn't want the baby to get any medication. When I got back in bed, I decided to try the Stadol. She gave me half the dose and said I could get the other half if I decided it was helping. Amazingly, it took away all the pain except the contractions. That helped me so much to refocus. I asked her for the other half about 20 minutes later. I was listening to the Hypnobabies Birth Day CD and it was really helping with the pain of the contractions, they were very strong and very close together. Sometime close to 11pm, I needed to throw up. I had had a clear lunch and it all came back up. Throwing up made me lose my focus and I felt a lot of pain all of a sudden. I started crying that I couldn't do it anymore and the nurse said that she thought that maybe it was time to push, she checked me and it was. She called for help and had them call the doctor. The doctor was already in her car, I guess figuring it was going to be awhile since I had been progressing so slowly all day.

When the doctor got there, she told me to push on the next contraction. While waiting for it, I was helping my friend get my digital camera set and telling DH and her NOT to video tape me while pushing. The contraction came and I pushed, but mostly vocalized (and screamed) through it. The doctor told me to hold my breath and push, but I just couldn't. The mag had me feeling really weak, I was laying pretty flat and I couldn't even hold my own legs to push. I pushed through another contraction and it still wasn't doing much. She was telling me what to do, but I just couldn't do it. Laying so flat didn't help. Being weak didn't either. We continued this through another contraction or 2.

Before the next contraction came, she told me that I needed to really push this time, she even had me push a few times right then to try to help baby out because baby's heart rate was dropping, it was in the 80s. When the contraction came, she told me I had to get the baby out this time. I was pushing and she said she was going to put some lidocaine on my perineum, I think she was thinking she was going to have to use the vaccuum if I didn't push and that would mean an episiotomy. She had previously asked me if I wanted to tear or have an epis and I said tear on my own if I tore. She injected some lidocaine and I pushed as hard as I could. I knew she wanted the baby out and with that push, I felt the head come out and the body just followed, it was 11:09pm.

Silence also followed. I heard the doctor tell the NICU nurses that the baby was going to need some extra help because I had just had Stadol within an hour before the birth. The silence was horrible. I couldn't see what was happening, but her heartrate was in the 60s. I was so afraid and so mad at myself at that moment for getting the Stadol. A few minutes passed and they were bagging her and trying to get her to breathe, the doctor said something about going to insert an ET tube and then a few seconds later, she cried. Her apgars were officially 1,7 and 9, but when I saw the video (Alfredo was videotaping the whole time, he had no idea what was really happening), I think the 1 was too low.

I had a feeling all during my pregnancy that I was having another girl. I remember asking if she was a girl and someone telling me she was. All during the day, we had also joked about how since we were still in February, how I really wanted to have February girl because I love amethysts. Once I knew she was okay, I asked someone what day it was, because I had totally lost track of time. They told me it was still February, I had my amethyst girl!

Shortly after the birth, I wanted to get up to go to the bathroom. I sat up in bed. I started feeling weird and then I remember telling the nurse that I couldn't see anything anymore and I was having a hard time hearing them. She layed me down and that helped a little. I was bleeding more and she got out a lot of big clots. My BP got down to 80/36. It took awhile to get back up. Who would have imagined a nurse being so happy to see BPs in the 160s/100s!

I was in the hospital and on the magnesium sulfate for 72 hours after delivery. My blood pressures remained high and they finally started me on Labetalol orally on Thursday. I still wasn't peeing much on Thursday and I was all swollen, mostly my face and eyes. I should have been going home since they were discharging Noemi and you get 2 days for a vag delivery, but my pressures were still 160s-170s/100s-110s, my reflexes even on the magnesium were still brisk, so they said I would have to be on the mag another day. I cried and cried because I just wanted to go home. I missed Abby and I was literally exhausted. By the time I went home on Friday night(Noemi got to stay in the hospital with me after she was discharged) I had been awake for 84 hours and had slept about 4 hours the whole time I was in the hospital. I couldn't sleep on the mag, I was exhausted, but my brain wouldn't turn off. It was horrible.

I called DH and balled to him that I couldn't go home. He said that he just wanted me better and that if I needed to stay, then it was for the best. He brought my SIL (Abby stayed with BIL) to hang out with me for awhile and take care of the baby. That night, DH brought Abby to the window of my room and she met her baby sister and we talked for about 15 minutes through the window. That really raised my spirits. I knew she was doing fine with my BIL and SIL, but it was so good to see her and kiss her through the window. SIL then went home and he stayed the night to help me take care of Noemi.

Finally, Friday night, we got to go home. My blood pressure is still high, but I am on medication and that is helping that. It is so good to finally be home with my 2 girls!

I have gotten over being mad at myself for getting the Stadol. I am pretty sure that my frustration level would have ended up in me not progressing or eventually asking for an epidural had I not got it. It really helped me to focus on contractions and I was saying "Open" over and over with my Hypnobabies CD. I am sure that I progressed so fast because I could finally stop being mad at the situation and just concentrate on my body and contractions. Luckily, Noemi is okay, despite the initial problems. I am sure I could have had a natural birth had I not been laboring on my back almost flat and had they not messed up the pitocin part of the induction. The contractions just came on too strong, too fast and I was already to my frustration limit with just being stuck in bed, hungry and on mag.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 03-06-2006, 04:22 PM

I am so glad you are both doing well.Thanks for sharing your daughters birth story.i always cry when I read stories of birth.
Welcome to the world Noemi.
#3 of 11 Old 03-06-2006, 06:53 PM

Congratulations!!! Glad you are finally home. This has been such a journey for you.... What a blessing that you followed your instincts and got the tests you knew you needed. Take care, rest as much as you can, and enjoy that sweet amethyst baby girl!!!

#4 of 11 Old 03-08-2006, 02:59 AM

Congratulations! Welcome to the world little Noemi!

mv
#5 of 11 Old 03-10-2006, 11:40 PM

I'm so glad it all worked out ok!

Welcome to your little girl
#6 of 11 Old 03-13-2006, 06:53 PM

Congrats! I've been induced myself and took the Nubain so I understand why you feel bummed that you took the meds, but let me tell you- being induced and laboring in bed is NOT easy at all (or like a "normal" labor) and I understand why a mom who wants a natural birth chooses to deviate from her plans.

I hope your bp goes down quickly- and enjoy your babymoon!
#7 of 11 Old 03-14-2006, 01:29 AM - Thread Starter

thanks michelle!! after wanting a natural birth, it sucked to feel like i failed. i have come to accept it for what it was and am happy it went as well as it did. i could have ended up with a c-section.

my BP has already come down to normal!! i have stopped taking my meds, thankfully because they made me feel horrible.
#8 of 11 Old 03-14-2006, 11:12 AM

That's great that your bp is down already!
#9 of 11 Old 03-23-2006, 08:18 AM

Great birth story thaks 4 sharing.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#10 of 11 Old 03-23-2006, 08:52 AM

i was almost in the same boat as you, except the induction. i was so afraid of being induced, that contractions spontaneously started a 37w3d. but being on mag, labetalol, those high bps....i totally feel for you!

it was a great job what you did, it is not easy to give birth this way!
i am glad your bp is okay now, hope that you don't spill protein anymore!
congrats and welcome Noemi, enjoy each other!

Liv, SAHM of 3 kiddos 

#11 of 11 Old 03-25-2006, 09:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Congrats on your new baby! I'm sorry you didn't get your homebirth but I'm so glad you both are okay!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page