Unexpected Unassisted Homebirth- just baby and me - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 115 Old 06-01-2006, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been a "lurker" on these boards for a long time now, and thought that one day I would get around to posting my birth story. Here I go...

I was given the amazing experience of delivering my little girl alone at home. Although I would have loved to plan a homebirth with a midwife in the first place, I was talked out of it due to the fact that I had Group B strep present and I had a medical birth the first time due to preeclampsia. I guess in my heart and soul I resented the idea of a hospital delivery (I was absolutely against the mandatory penicillan treatment for Group B mothers)- which may have had something to do with my quick labor that started as soon as I was left alone.

I think about this a lot- did I go into labor because my daughter and I felt safer being alone?

On that Sunday afternoon, I started having light contractions about 15 minutes apart (I had never experienced natural labor since I had a pitocin birth the first time) and told my husband that he should take our son over to his parents (about a half hour away).

He asked me several times if it was ok to go- and I brushed off his concerns. “Yes, of course- go!” “The baby is definitely on its way, but I am not even having bad contractions yet” At 4:30, I was alone in the house as the car backed out of the driveway. The sun was getting low, and the house was quiet.

I called some girlfriends on the phone, and started to gather my things as I kept track of contractions. 4:30, 4:37, 4:41…ok, they were getting a lot closer, a lot faster! But still not nearly the intensity I was anticipating. I paced the house, squatting and breathing as the contractions came, returning to the kitchen to write down the timing. In my mind, I had to have this contractions document as proof that I was in labor when we got to the hospital! I could see myself holding it up to the admitting nurse- “Read it and weep! I’ve got your 5-1-1 right here!”

At 4:59 it had been 6 minutes since the last contraction, and I was wondering if I was slowing down, when…POP!

“So that’s what it feels like when your waters break naturally!” I thought. Amniotic fluid all over the kitchen floor, and my hospital outfit (sweats) in need of the laundry. My mind shifted into high gear. I knew from my first birth that I had 5 minutes before the REAL contractions came. I still cannot believe what I accomplished before the first big contraction- I stripped off my clothes, ran to the bedroom, put on new underwear with a cloth diaper to catch the remaining fluid- put on new sweats and socks, CLEANED up the floor (no idea why!), and telephoned my inlaws. “Please send my husband home immediately- no chatting, my water has broken and we must get to the hospital.”

The birth took a total of 6 contractions within 40 minutes.

In hindsight I realize that being alone allowed me to labor how my body needed, without worrying how anyone else would react to me. If my husband had been there, he would have tried to “fix” things, and could not have stood by as I vocalized. He would have been pained to see me in pain- which would in turn have made me more aware of how I was being perceived. (Not to mention the fact that he would have shoved me in the car, and I would have delivered somewhere on the way!)

My ability to make the sounds I needed to, to pace, squat, and stay on my hands and knees through contractions made my labor faster and easier. I was completely focused.

The first contraction hit as the house began to darken. I was thrown to my knees, my hands and head gripping an easy chair as I hummed louder and louder as it progressed. Now I was in active labor- and starting to feel fear.

I ran back to the bedroom to get the bag, preparing to meet my DH outside for the ride to the hospital, and the second one hit. On my knees and face down in another easy chair, I sang with all my lungs- my voice going higher and higher and louder and louder- edged with panic as the contraction went on. I wondered if the neighbors could hear me.

The phone rang before the next one, my husband calling from the road, saying he was 20 minutes away. I remember looking at the clock- it was 5:10. I remember telling him, “You have to help me, I can’t get my shoes on” I spent the lull talking to him, and hung up right before number 4.

I went to the couch and lay on my left side- remembering that laboring on one’s side or back could slow things down- and was THROWN to the floor and back on my hands and knees for the next whopping contraction in which I felt my body pushing. What? Pushing? No- our bodies don’t do that themselves! We have to hold our knees and force those babies out, with doctors and nurses yelling at us!, right?

"Oh, I must just need to go to the bathroom. This can’t be the baby!" I was still on hands and knees, contemplating this when number 5 came. Number 5 was really the point of no return. Number 5 made sure I was going to deliver this baby now- no help, no doctors.

I was in the hall, heading to the bathroom, when number 5 came barreling down on me like thunder. I felt sort of like Dorothy in the spinning tornado house as I lost control of my situation and screamed the scream of a perineum splitting, the scream of every woman who has been stretched to her breaking point, the scream I had just heard on a videotape of a girlfriend’s homebirth, a scream to the dark hallway of my empty house. I floated outside myself and thought “This is not a normal contraction, this is not part of active labor. This baby is coming now.”

I headed to the bathroom on my hands and knees, reaching inside my pants to find what felt like the top of a warm wet tennis ball coming forth. I hastily pulled down my sweats as I made it to the bathroom rug and flipped over to a reclining seated position. There was no more pain or panic, and the world seemed to stop silently as the next contraction pushed this new life into the world.

Amelia never touched the ground as I held her head and neck with my right hand, her back and legs with my left, and guided her up onto my chest. As she came out, she turned her head to look at me. Her eye was dark with flecks of yellow, and through it I saw-like a hall of mirrors -every new baby who had looked at every mother to the beginning of time.

Her look brought me calm and confidence, her look said “I trust in you completely to care for me”. She then let out a loud cry, full of life and energy as I brought her to my breast and held her close. It was as if a lightswitch has been touched, in an instant I felt no pain, no panic, no fear, and no longer felt myself- just the baby.

I examined her as she nursed, and found that yes, she was a girl! Her yellow skin was turning pink fast, as I wrapped a towel around us to dry her and keep her warm. She and I sat there for a while, with me marveling over her perfect little body as she cooed a bit at my breast. It was about 5 minutes until my husband came home. Those minutes of solitude with my new baby will always be the greatest moments of my life.

He called to me as he walked into the house, and was answered by the baby’s cry. He thought I was vocalizing through a contraction as he approached the bathroom, keys in hand. Standing in the doorway, his jaw dropped, and he rushed over to see his new daughter and confirmed that we were both glowing and healthy.

But of course, the serenity was burst by a call to 911 (we didn't know what else to do). After determining that the baby was healthy (the paramedics clamped the cord and my husband cut it), we were loaded up on a gurney with my baby girl still at my breast, and taken to the hospital. No sirens or drama. I had to birth the placenta (which is buried in our front yard now) and get some stitches at the hospital. A rather quick stay, and we were home again.

Sometimes when I am in the bathroom I just sit down and remember her birth. I truly believe that this was the birth Amelia wanted for herself- to come into the world with just her mother to catch her.
#2 of 115 Old 06-01-2006, 08:01 PM

Neat!!
#3 of 115 Old 06-01-2006, 08:02 PM

Love it! What a beautiful birth, and beautifully written, too! I can only hope my births will be so empowering.

Thanks for sharing your story, and welcome!

Clara

Mama to a beautiful little girl, born July 18, 2007
Eager for a VBAC some time around April 10, 2010!
#4 of 115 Old 06-01-2006, 08:08 PM

thank you for posting that, beautiful!
#5 of 115 Old 06-01-2006, 08:18 PM

Wow--what an amazing and beautful story!!!!!

Wife to a wonderful dh and mom to four beautiful kiddos, dd (3/04):, ds1 (1/06), ds2 (10/08), and ds3 (7/10)
#6 of 115 Old 06-01-2006, 08:23 PM

Oh my goodness, what a beautiful birth! That brought me to tears : thank you so much for sharing that!
#7 of 115 Old 06-01-2006, 08:33 PM

What an amazing birth story! Welcome to the world Amelia!!!

BTW... Welcome to MDC. I hope ya stick around!
#8 of 115 Old 06-01-2006, 08:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Congrats on your baby girl! What a beautiful story! You are an excellent writer!!

enjoy your baby!
#9 of 115 Old 06-01-2006, 08:41 PM

That totally brought me to tears, too. What a beautiful story!
#10 of 115 Old 06-01-2006, 11:02 PM

Wow, that is so cool! Amazing birth story!
#11 of 115 Old 06-02-2006, 12:56 AM

I had a fast labor too, and totally wish I would have stayed home through it- your description of birth is what I wish my second's could have been... Thanks for sharing your beautiful story.

Violin teaching, doula-ing Mom to Abby, (8) Ashlynn, (6) : and Max (11/13/08) Diagnosed with Metopic Craniosynostosis. First surgery 5/1/09, Second surgery March 2010.
#12 of 115 Old 06-02-2006, 12:59 AM
Lou

Wow that is just amazing- such a powerful, beautiful story. Thank you for sharing that with us!
#13 of 115 Old 06-02-2006, 01:01 AM

Wow.....what an awesome birth!!

Give more**Expect Less
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only bad clothing.
#14 of 115 Old 06-02-2006, 01:05 AM

wow, that is the best birth story I have read!
#15 of 115 Old 06-02-2006, 01:07 AM
Banned

Wow! I was really upset by a thread in another forum and I now I realize that it was nothing. This is what this place is about - sharing these great stories. Thank you for giving me a good cry. Blessings.
#16 of 115 Old 06-02-2006, 01:09 AM

How beautiful! I loved reading that.
#17 of 115 Old 06-02-2006, 01:22 AM

Beautiful!

Mom of 3 (Evan, Trey, Saffron ) Blogs at findingsummer.com
#18 of 115 Old 06-02-2006, 01:24 AM

So sweet thank you for sharing.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#19 of 115 Old 06-02-2006, 01:47 AM

Wow that was amazing!!!
#20 of 115 Old 06-02-2006, 02:06 AM

What a beautiful, beautiful story. I am in tears. Thank you for sharing that.
#21 of 115 Old 06-02-2006, 02:13 AM

What an amazing story!
#22 of 115 Old 06-02-2006, 02:30 AM

Beautiful! Congratulations, on the birth of your baby girl.
#23 of 115 Old 06-02-2006, 02:47 AM

Wow, mama! Good for you, an amazing birth and a beautifully written story!

Happy, busy mama of 2 - A (9/05) and W (2/08)
Acupuncturist to pregnant and post partum mamas!
#24 of 115 Old 06-02-2006, 03:11 AM

Oh, I absolutely loved your story. Thank you so much for sharing it. You are definitely a shero!

My grandmother gave birth to my mother in a similar fashion. She was alone with her oldest daughter who was 2 years old and my other aunt who was 11 months old at the time. My oldest aunt (the 2 year old) helped deliver my mom while my other aunt looked on. My oldest aunt was told that this was "her baby" since she'd helped and, to this day (they're all in their 60's), she acts as though my mom is "her baby". lol

I love to hear stories like these!
#25 of 115 Old 06-02-2006, 12:42 PM

that's an amazing story - very inspiring
#26 of 115 Old 06-02-2006, 01:54 PM

*wipes away happy tears*

That was a beautiful story, and I feel honored that you shared it with us. Hugs to you and Amelia... may your journey of Motherhood be blessed!
#27 of 115 Old 06-02-2006, 11:18 PM

I am so so happy for you. What a beautiful birth. You write so beautifully. Thank you so much for sharing that with us. Stick around MDC you'll love it here! (I'm sorta jealous, I've never experienced birth like that!)
#28 of 115 Old 06-02-2006, 11:39 PM

What a great story! Congratulations.
#29 of 115 Old 06-02-2006, 11:49 PM

That was beautiful. Every single time I read a birth story I can hold it together until the baby starts to come out, then I just cry.

What a wonderul experience for you and your daughter.
#30 of 115 Old 06-03-2006, 12:36 PM

That sounds so wonderful. I'm sure my next one will be at home. I tested + for GBS and decided to get the treatment (I could have declined it) but my veins didn't cooperate! I was black and blue for more than a week but I was so happy not to have to worry about thrush.

DS - 5! - adopted at birth after infertility, IUI, and IVF; DD - 4! - surprise pregnancy discovered when DS was 8 months old ; Hoping for another soon (actively TTC ~ 2 years)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page