Our first unassisted birth - restoring and powerful! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 09-02-2006, 02:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Our newest baby love was born Aug. 18th - at home, totally unassisted (with my Honey) and powerfully, restoratively into our arms. Shockingly it was a BOY (ack! I am soooo outnumbered!) and was a beautiful whopping 9lb 12oz (after a 7.11 and 8.8 baby, it was surprising - esp. because he was born at 38w4d!).

Here is our very long birth story for those who love them like I do. : )
It ended up being a perfect (though an overwhelming at times) experience for sure, I was just along for the ride.

On Wed.. and Thurs. nights I didn't sleep very well and while that's pretty normal, it was because I was feeling contractions and cramping and I slept fitfully most of the night. When I woke up on Thurs. instead of the night stuff going away I kept getting the strong Braxton Hicks - but they were sometimes every hour or what not... they didn't even get me to look at the clock once all day. I took a shower in the afternoon and checked myself just for kicks and for the first time my cervix was posterior, and I could tell it was dilated much more than before. Maybe 4cm? I have no idea, but that was my best guess.

After we had dinner and put the boys down I called our doula just because I thought I should give her a heads up in case we went into labor that night... or maybe Sat. I had a feeling it would be soon and since I knew she had to do something with her daughter I wanted to give her some time to figure that out and give her "on call" people a heads up just in case. I hung up around 9:15 and in the course of our 30 min. conversation maybe had two strong BH's - but I was sitting and figured that's why.

We got ready for bed and went downstairs (I made my husband get off the computer b/c I told him that if labor got going in a few hours and he had no sleep and worked all day and had to stay awake with me the next day - he'd be crabby). We thought we'd have sex and see if that maybe helped things along while we were sleeping. About 5 min. later I had a MONSTER contraction... it lasted 4 minutes straight and I had to walk and walk to get through it - breathing really loud. I was shocked and kind of looked at my husband with wide eyes. Yikes! I told him maybe no sex after all. We laid down to go to sleep and 2 min. later another contraction (but this one only 45 sec.), again, I had to walk and breathe to get through it. We started setting up our labor stuff and I took some Gelsimium and Sepia... but we held off on filling the pool. It was 10:30pm.

It took about an hour for us to get all the things set up and figured out in the room so that it was 'ready' totally... in the meantime I'd have to pace and breathe (fast and loud) through each contraction and they were getting closer together... now maybe 1.5 min. apart and a minute long. I was getting nervous at how strong they were - toe-curling strong, and still so early!! I had time to get upstairs and post a message on my unassisted message board, and try to get a sheet to cover the bed. I had one contraction that had me say to my husband, "These are FRICKIN' FRICKIN' strong! Oww!" and the next one was about 30 seconds later and actually brought me to my knees and I cried through the end of it. Oh my gosh... I didn't have anything else to do to help them, they were so strong and hurt so much and I couldn't ease them even a little bit! I needed our doula to come before too long, I was hoping she'd have some idea I wasn't thinking of so I could work through these ctx! (my husband had one hot water tank full into the tub by now and was turning off the cold when I asked him to call her). She said she'd be here in 15 min. and I asked him to call our emergency-back-up-midwife who said she'd be on her way. (You should have heard him talking to them, "Well... I don't know if you want to keep sleeping maybe, or maybe come... but..." while I'm practically howling in the background).

I washed my hands in the kitchen after that last wicked ctx. because I wanted to check myself at the next point I could. I grabbed my husband when he walked in during my next ctx and held on to his forearms for dear life and just held on through the ctx to my sanity best I could. I checked myself as soon as it was done and could feel the baby's head and bag - maybe about 4" of it just inside - and I was thinking... "OH MY GOSH", I knew it wouldn't be long. It was another 30 seconds and I had another hard ctx and we went downstairs as soon as that was done (I was afraid of my water breaking on my new carpet... priorities right? ; )). I had one more ctx outside the tub and made myself look my husband in the eye to keep grounded, I was feeling so out of control and a little scared with how much it all hurt. He kept telling me I could do it and was so strong.

I climbed into the tub and tried squatting but I had to stand up for the next ctx - but that's all she wrote because with the next one I decided to maybe try to push a little... there was so much pressure... and when I did, I felt baby's head move down and I kept pushing. Our doula showed up and started videotaping... I grabbed my husband's hand inbetween the ctx and brought it down so he could feel baby's head and bag too and with the next ctx (still kneeling with a leg up in the tub holding onto his forearms) I pushed, felt my water break and his head come out. I felt his head... I thought initially his ear was maybe a hand but that's because his head felt so big. I couldn't feel a cord or anything but he was sitting there a little long and I was getting nervous so I tried to push without a ctx but of course it didn't do anything so I waited. Next real ctx and I pushed... nothing, deep breath and another push and he came out. I pulled him out of the water and he made a little cry and then just was in my arms. I got a towel and rubbed his back a little, wiped his face and checked his tone a tiny bit - he made a squeek and then howled. I checked and it was a boy (I checked 2 more times in the tub because I couldn't believe it)! 5 minutes our doula had been there!!

I stayed in the tub about 15 more minutes and then was going to get out but felt the placenta too low so I pushed that out first and then we got out. Almost no bleeding and I felt GREAT!! We were out of the tub about 20 minutes when our emergency-back-up-midwife came in... we cut the now-totally-limp cord (yay for getting that for one of my kiddos finally!) and I nursed (he was finally interested). I tore just about 1/2" at the bottom but nothing into my vagina or any skid marks - not bad! We weighed him (9lb 12oz), measured him (22 in., 33 1/4cm, 33 5/8cm chest) and that was that.

I was in shock at the speed, the intensity, my general lack of fear, that it was a boy, that he was here and that we did it totally alone after all.

My husband did amazing... he ended up telling me later that with the lack of others to fill places, he felt comfortable finding his own. He had felt totally encouraged by our doula's meeting with us... she told him to call the shots and she would fill in where she needed to. He just needed an extra dose of confidence I guess and just did his thing. He said at one point he got a bit nervous but it was at the point that it felt the wildest for me so he held it together. He said it wasn't scary even when we were totally alone and the baby was coming. I can't tell you how healing this all was for the both of us. It was awesome.

We named him the next day... Graysen Wolf

Mama to 4 amazing little people, another little expected 3/6/12!
Avid Unassisted Birth supporter/Mama

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 25 Old 09-02-2006, 08:44 AM

:
Congratulations on your uc!! What a beautiful story!!

hippie.gif+reading.gif= Peanut (2004), Pumpkin (2007) and Butter Bean!! (2011)

#3 of 25 Old 09-02-2006, 08:55 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Beautiful story! Congratulations

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#4 of 25 Old 09-02-2006, 05:16 PM

Just beautiful- so strong!
#5 of 25 Old 09-04-2006, 01:59 PM

So awesome!!!! I love it!
#6 of 25 Old 09-04-2006, 02:06 PM

you rock
#7 of 25 Old 09-04-2006, 03:09 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
These born free stories always make me

They are so darn beautiful!!!!
#8 of 25 Old 09-04-2006, 03:19 PM

That was a great and amazing story. I'm so happy for your family.
#9 of 25 Old 09-04-2006, 03:31 PM

Congrats! Awesome story!
#10 of 25 Old 09-04-2006, 03:36 PM

beautiful story, beautiful name.

baby arlo is now earthside! 11.23.2009
#11 of 25 Old 09-04-2006, 03:38 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Congrats on your new little blessing! Enjoy your babymoon!

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#12 of 25 Old 09-06-2006, 07:53 PM

inspiring story...thankyou!
#13 of 25 Old 09-06-2006, 08:03 PM

what an awesome birth story, thanks for sharing!
and i love that name... it's literally on our list of boy names (gray wolf).

*mama to c 2/2000, v 2/2004, p 9/2006, and h 12/2012*

one of the mamas behind BeanTreeBaby.com ...Gear for Growing Families!

#14 of 25 Old 09-06-2006, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter

No way clover!! Great minds think alike eh? We'll likely call him Gray... right now he's Graysen but mostly because he's little.
I love your girls' names... they are beautiful.

Mama to 4 amazing little people, another little expected 3/6/12!
Avid Unassisted Birth supporter/Mama

#15 of 25 Old 09-06-2006, 08:29 PM

WOW, great birth story. I felt like i was right there with you, at the end of every paragraph Id realise I was holding my breath. Way to go
#16 of 25 Old 09-20-2006, 06:45 AM

What an awesome birth story! Congrats to you and your family. Welcome to the world Graysen!
#17 of 25 Old 09-20-2006, 05:57 PM

I love your story! I"m so glad it went fast and you and your dh did it alone! I'm sure everyone IRL is amazed when you tell them Greyson's birth story!
#18 of 25 Old 09-25-2006, 02:11 AM

Beautiful!!!!
#19 of 25 Old 09-26-2006, 01:46 AM

Very impressive, congratulations on this healing experience. Way to go!!!
Oana
#20 of 25 Old 09-26-2006, 02:00 AM

Congratulations! I thoroughly enjoyed your birth story. You cracked me up with the concern for your carpet. (I get it, and it would have been me too!)
#21 of 25 Old 09-26-2006, 02:24 AM

oh wow mama, congrats! I loved evey bit of your birth story.

Welcome to the world Graysen

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#22 of 25 Old 10-03-2006, 08:19 PM

thanks for sharing. congrats on your baby boy.
#23 of 25 Old 10-03-2006, 08:29 PM

Welcome Graysen!! What a beautiful name!

Greenlee's Forest *intentional jewelry* a secret Journal locket!
Me My Blog Mama to 7 babes & four spirit babies
#24 of 25 Old 10-05-2006, 01:00 AM

ears: How wonderful!
#25 of 25 Old 10-08-2006, 03:46 AM

Love his name. Great birth story.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page