Any one have a funny birth story? - Mothering Forums
Birth Stories > Any one have a funny birth story?
Bartock's Avatar Bartock 02:25 PM 10-18-2006
Or part of your birth was funny?

When I was in Labour with DS1, not much was going on, contractions slowed down, so DH decided he was going to have a shower and we would try to get some sleep (we were in the hospital, but out of our town so they gave us a nice room and set up a cot for DH to sleep on) I was sitting in the bed, and felt this wet thing between my legs, I was like what the heck is that, since DH was in the bathroom I just grabbed a tissue and wiped, this thing (mucus) plug shot out and landed in DH work boots they were on the floor about 7 feet away it was funny, I had no idea what it was (duh) so I yelled at DH "something just shot out of me, go get the nurse" I thought that was funny, what are the odds that my mucus plug would land in DH boots

celestialdreamer's Avatar celestialdreamer 02:42 PM 10-18-2006
I don't know how super funny my birthstory is with my ds, but it does make me chuckle when I think of it. I had a very rapid birth with him and he was almost born in the toilet. The MW was on the way but my friend/doula and my dh were the only ones there for the birth. I had been laboring in the bathroom with the lights dimmed when it suddenly got really intense over a 15 min period, then my body just started pushing without me having any say over it. I literally lifted my butt off the toilet as I realized he was definitely coming out right then, and he just fell out into my friend/doula's arms. She was lucky enough to catch him before he hit the floor, but also got splashed with most of the baby's amniotic fluid as my water had only leaked a little right before he was born My friend that caught him happens to be a mod here at MDC, which I guess is a little funny too

So yep, almost born in the toilet, then almost landed on the floor and then amniotic fluid all over an MDC mod....does that count as funny?
celestialdreamer's Avatar celestialdreamer 02:44 PM 10-18-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemy2ds View Post
Or part of your birth was funny?

When I was in Labour with DS1, not much was going on, contractions slowed down, so DH decided he was going to have a shower and we would try to get some sleep (we were in the hospital, but out of our town so they gave us a nice room and set up a cot for DH to sleep on) I was sitting in the bed, and felt this wet thing between my legs, I was like what the heck is that, since DH was in the bathroom I just grabbed a tissue and wiped, this thing (mucus) plug shot out and landed in DH work boots they were on the floor about 7 feet away it was funny, I had no idea what it was (duh) so I yelled at DH "something just shot out of me, go get the nurse" I thought that was funny, what are the odds that my mucus plug would land in DH boots
EWWW! My DH would have thrown his boots away (kidding). Anything with the word "mucus" in it completely grosses me out, sorry. That is pretty good luck that it landed in his boots though
honeybee's Avatar honeybee 05:16 PM 10-18-2006
There were definitely some comedic moments in my homebirth.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=424904
SweetAfton's Avatar SweetAfton 08:21 PM 10-18-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by celestialdreamer View Post
then amniotic fluid all over an MDC mod....does that count as funny?
LOL! What are the chances?

Sounds like a great birth though.
MCatLvrMom2A&X's Avatar MCatLvrMom2A&X 12:11 AM 10-19-2006
With ds's birth there were 2 parts that I still laugh about His story is on here.

The first thing that I got a big laugh out of was a had to be there kind of thing. After they broke my water we left and went to the mall. When I got to the counter of the dollar tree to check out the cashier, a very young woman, asked me when I was due. I told her actually I am in early labor right now the look on her face was priceless, I had to fight to keep from bursting out laughing while my dh had to leave the store and crack up.

The second thing was my water just before ctx started, really started to pour out so I asked dh to stop somewere so I could go in and change pads but by the time we stopped I was sitting in a major puddle despite the big ol' pad. As I got out of the care fluid was litterally dripping down my legs into my shoes from between my legs onto the ground making a little puddle and all I could do was stand there and laugh the harder I left the more the fluid came. I dont know why that was so funny to me but it was.
WonderWild's Avatar WonderWild 04:45 PM 10-19-2006
After ds was born he had meconium so the NICU team had to have a quick look at him so he wasn't immediately put on my chest. So, he's over there in the incubator and the NICU is done and the nurse is done. My dh and his mom are just standing there looking at him, I can't see him, I'm getting stiched up. Finally I scream "somebody wrap him up and bring him to me!!". The first thing I said to him was "you are so cute!"
onlyboys's Avatar onlyboys 05:08 PM 10-19-2006
Two things that were humorous in retrospect, though at the time, both happened while I was in transition, not so fun...

First, I am in the tub and the water of course makes me have to pee. I am comfy, and hate to be cold, so I tell my midwife, "I need to use the bathroom." She goes to get me out, and I stop her and say, "No, sorry, I just did." She looked at me horrified!

I also couldn't get it out of my head that my midwife had other obligations. She is also the MW at a birth center which was opening in a few minutes, or an hour. As I am about to start pushing, I ask her when she has to leave my house to get to work on time. She just laughed.
MotheringHeart's Avatar MotheringHeart 05:24 PM 10-19-2006
Dh was expecting DD#1 to be face down, like babies are most of the time. Well, I was (unfortunately) in the hospital, pushing w/my feet in stirrups. Her head FINALLY comes out and he goes "What the hell is wrong with the back of her head." My mom (on the other leg) goes "It's her FACE!" It wasn't so funny then, but now I think it is HILARIOUS!!!
rmzbm's Avatar rmzbm 09:40 PM 10-19-2006
These are great!
~Mamaterra~'s Avatar ~Mamaterra~ 01:43 AM 10-20-2006
With the birth of my dd#1 (our first baby) I was expecting things to take the textbook 12-14 hours. Unbenounced to me, it was going to be 5 hours from start to finish.

So, I'm at home labouring in bed waiting for my dh and the mw to arrive. Things are progressing fairly rapidly and I see out of our bedroom window, my dh pull up and kinda doddle up the front walk like there is no hurry. My MW's mom is the only person with me and she meets my dh at the back door (yes, he doddled around to the back door) to tell him that things are getting intense. Just at that moment, I yell at her "tell him to get his @$$ in here!!!" and I overhear her say to him "see, she is in the serious signpost cuz she is pretty cranky" and I scream back at her "OH NO I'M NOT!!!!".

Uumm, now I kinda see that maybe I was....
MomInCalifornia's Avatar MomInCalifornia 01:50 AM 10-20-2006
My husband fludded our bathroom and part of our bedroom while fillin gup our birth tub. I have very fast labors and he turned on the hose, then came down stairs to help me, got distracted and when he came back up to check on the tub, the hose had fallen out and was fluddin gour room! Even though I was nearing transition, I couldn't help but laugh. He felt aweful!
barefoot mama's Avatar barefoot mama 01:53 AM 10-20-2006
During my second birth, which was at home with a mw, I had just gone to the bathroom and was on my way back to the birth pool in between contractions. I squatted down during one and announced to dh and mw that I was going to push and proceeded to pee all over dh's foot. I said "oops" when the contraction was over and I could hear the mw snickering behind me

My fifth birth was our second UC. I was sitting on the upstairs toliet thinking I had hours of contractions coming and I suddenly realized I had mere minutes. I called dh into the bathroom and told him to get the birth pool filled QUICK. So he was racing up and down the steps sloshing water all over the place trying to get warm water in the pool. I started laughing and said "please come here and help me because I don't want the baby born in the toliet". He walked me into the bedroom where I squatted at the end of the bed and he said "what do I do?" I answered "grab a towel!!" so he shoved a towel under me just seconds before Kyra landed softly on it.
Bartock's Avatar Bartock 03:36 AM 10-20-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotheringHeart View Post
Dh was expecting DD#1 to be face down, like babies are most of the time. Well, I was (unfortunately) in the hospital, pushing w/my feet in stirrups. Her head FINALLY comes out and he goes "What the hell is wrong with the back of her head." My mom (on the other leg) goes "It's her FACE!" It wasn't so funny then, but now I think it is HILARIOUS!!!
Both my ds were face up.
MotheringHeart's Avatar MotheringHeart 11:10 PM 10-21-2006
I acutally think that some women just have pelvises that for some reason, cause their babies to be face up. Mine have been face up during labor and turned in the birthing canal for the last two. I know they've been face up because my back labor is always REALLY intense.
stacyann21's Avatar stacyann21 03:01 AM 10-23-2006
Oh man, these are really funny! The one about the girl at the mall had me cracking up because just today I told my mom that I want to find a mall by my birthing center (it's a little far away) so that I can walk around in early labor. She got the most horrified look on her face and said "You want to go to the mall when you're in labor?!"
soulflower's Avatar soulflower 06:55 PM 10-24-2006
I had wonderful homebirth. I ate contantly thru labor. Sometime in the middle of labor I thought a slice of banana nut bread sounded appetizing. I got a butcher knife(the only clean knife at the time) to cut my slice. As the knife was in my hand a contraction hit. I knelt to the ground holding the knife and saying "OOWW". Everyone steeped away except one woman said "I think I'll just hold this for now" as she took the knife. Everyone rolled with laughter including me, making the contraction less intense. Kara
grapejuicemama's Avatar grapejuicemama 09:35 PM 10-25-2006
With my first, my water had broken, but I wasn't feeling painful surges, so we decided to go to the grocery store for some distraction and potato soup fixin's.

While we were there, I ran into a guy friend of mine and he good-naturedly asked me when I'd be having the baby. I told him that my water had already broken and that I was in labor. He looked down at my feet like he expected to see blood or water or something, turned this weird shade of grey and basically said, "Uh...good luck with that....." and made a quick escape. I think he thought I was going to drop to the floor any moment and ask him to catch!
marlee's Avatar marlee 09:54 PM 10-25-2006
I have a few funny things. I was high risk so I was supposed to go to the hospital after labour started. My labour started immediately after my water broke. I kept gushing as I was trying to get going so I went to the hospital wearing a diaper! Thank goodness I had a diaper.

My dh has a hard time with hospitals and we had talked to the midwifes about it before hand. When I was ready to push they got a chair for dh beside me and gave him the oxygen mask. Only weeks after delivery did I find out he was also using the laughing gas! At least he had something to help him make it through.

Also when my dd head was crowning my dd had the hiccups and her head would hiccup. Both midwives had never had a baby born with the hiccups before.

There were serious complications with myself and the baby after delivery so I am happy that I have some things that I can laugh at about my overall experience as it was the best day of my live and the worst at the same time.
sphinxie's Avatar sphinxie 11:20 PM 10-25-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
There were definitely some comedic moments in my homebirth.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=424904
That one really made me laugh. Especially... don't remember how it went exactly, but "not the olive oil, the baby's head!"
ladybugchild77's Avatar ladybugchild77 08:04 AM 10-29-2006
these are great!
~*~MamaJava~*~'s Avatar ~*~MamaJava~*~ 07:02 PM 10-29-2006
It was only funny to me, but...I went to the hospital for a non-stress test the Dr had requested because I was a week over. While I was there I had this weird huge contraction out of nowhere - I wasn't in labour at the time - but nothing else happened, so I just chalked it up to prodromal labour.
I left the hospital and drove to the bank to make a deposit...while standing in line...my water broke. Thank God I had a giant maxipad on - for pee leaks - it would have splashed all over the floor. With amniotic fluid trickling down my legs, I did my banking, giggling away. That teller must have thought I was a total nut. I didn't say anything, because I didn't want to induce total panic in the place.
Got in the car and drove myself home, sitting on dh's work coat, laughing to myself. DH didn't think it was so funny, though.
jlpumkin's Avatar jlpumkin 07:35 PM 10-29-2006
These are hilarious!!!

DH just was not comfortable w/ a homebirth. So we agreed that I would again labor at home and leave for the hospital just as I entered transition - hospital near by & did the same w/ #1... But dh was petrified that I would rebel at the last minute and he'd be the only one available to deliver... I didn't though. Went in to the (military) hospital & the Dr says "So you think your ready, huh? Well let's see how you push." When I pushed my bag of waters erupted all over him! He just left! So Dh was left alone to deliver ds at the hospital Aside from yelling a scared play by play like a sports cast I'd say he did ok! BTW he is reminded often that at home the mw wouldn't have left
tikva18's Avatar tikva18 01:22 AM 11-01-2006
Here's a link to my last birth story which i just posted in honor of this thread. THere were a couple of funny things, I think that happened.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...06#post6416606
Up