The Unassisted Home Water Birth of Wyatt Kemis - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 12-09-2006, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2am, Friday, December 8th, 2006 – I hear my son wake up and send DH in to him to settle back down. I roll over and snuggle up next to my daughter to go back to sleep only to be gripped by a strong contraction. Not overly painful, but enough to get my attention. As I’d been having practice contractions for quite some time, I planned on just going to sleep anyhow.

No such luck, as another contraction starts just a couple of minutes later. I get up – go to go pee and get a drink.

By 2:30, there is no ignoring these – so I go and wake my hubby up.

Between 2:30 am and 5:00 am, we time some of the contractions – they are quite strong, enough that I need to breathe through them – and find little to no pattern. From 2 to 5 minutes between, but no longer.

As 5:00 am rolls around and the kids wake up, the contractions space put – going up to 10 minutes between. I alternate between pacing the hall with my daughter shadowing me, and bouncing on my yoga ball.

Somewhere between 6 and 7, the contractions space out even more – I go run a nice warm bath, I’m already exhausted, having only gotten 3 hours sleep the night before. DH calls our doula to put her on alert though – just in case things pick up. I stay in the bath for about a ½ hour – no contractions at all, and I’m feeling very sleepy, so I head off to bed. In bed, I have a few, but am able to work through them and rest some, even if I’m not sleeping.

Get back up around 8:30 or so – contractions are still sporadic and strong, and I’m seeing some of what I can only guess is my plug, but no bloody show yet.

I ½ lay on the couch and literally sleep (snoring!) between contractions for a while, and just kept up with the sporadic contractions for a while. I lost track of time, but know that I did get back into the tub a second time at some point.

Around 11:45 I was nursing Heather down for her nap – laying in her bed with her – she was almost asleep even – when the first “real” contraction hit. By real, I mean the first that hurt a lot. After a couple of those coming close, I had to pee and finally saw some bloody show.

Called my doula and started leaning on my yoga ball while handling (sort of) the contractions – lots of low moaning from me – I am not a quiet labourer. Also got DH to get the pool and start filling it with water – I’m glad we’d already inflated it.

At 12:10, the hose for the pool flew out of the pool, spraying the wall and window with water – you know, you need comedy relief even during labour !

5 minutes later, the fire alarm went off. We live in a high-rise apartment building, and they were doing the monthly test. Thankfully, I didn’t have any contractions during the alarm, as I was trying to comfort Owen, who gets very frightened by the alarm.

It was right then that, our doula arrived. The extra set of hands was great – she really helped to keep the kids occupied, even gave them little “helper” jobs – getting cold washcloths and having them rub my back, and helping me to reassure them that I really was “ok”.

Things really start to run together at this point for me – the contractions are coming about every 2 minutes or less, and are REALLY strong too. DH and our doula were having a hard time getting the pool warm enough – but they eventually did and I got in the water.

It must have been a little after 1pm then, as the doula paged our midwife pretty much as I got in the water.

Being in the water was really helpful to me – it was familiar territory, and the water itself felt good on my skin, cooler and supportive.

The contractions started coming one on top of the other before too long – and my moaning went from low to very high. Not quite screaming, but not far from it.

Around 1:30 or so, my water broke – I asked both DH and the doula several times to confirm that it was clear. They’d both told me it was, but I kept needing the reassurance.

Commence screaming phase – this is likely transition, and the part of labour that I really and truly hate. No break between contractions, the intensity is feeling insurmountable, and I’m begging for someone to make it stop. It doesn’t feel like I can take another moment, but my doula keeps her calm, trying to reassure me that we’re close now, and that I’m doing good. I’m almost sobbing as I tell her that I’m NOT doing well.

I can feel my baby coming down, but can’t feel the head yet – a few more contractions (and screams) and I can’t help but push – SHOVE – to bring this baby down.

We realize now that the midwife hasn’t returned the page, and the doula goes to the phone and pages her a second time.

As she’s on the phone with the paging surface another contraction comes on and I shove for all I’m worth – the baby’s head is there now. One more contraction and I’m hollering across the room that the head is OUT !!

I get a momentary break, a minute maybe, to catch my breath. Then it’s time to get this baby out – I don’t like pushing, and I can’t do slow or small pushes. It’s all or nothing. One contraction, two more huge pushes, and baby is in Daddy’s hands.

Here is the only moment of worry in this birth – I want to see my baby, but DH and our doula are literally pushing my leg down (I was on my hands and knees) so I can’t turn over. I’m fighting them both. Our doula says that the cord is around his neck and I HAVE TO stay still so she can unwrap him !

Okay – staying still, those few seconds felt like forever to me. I couldn’t see my baby – I didn’t hear him either – and I was worried sick.

In just a moment, likely under a minute, I was given the okay to turn over and handed my baby for the first time. He was big, purple, and snuffy. But breathing and absolutely gorgeous.

He was really stuffy – I put him semi-reclining in my arms and rubbed his back – he sneezed and coughed out some mucous then started crying. His little voice sounded like a kitten.

I called my mom, then got out of the pool and onto the couch.

Doula put in a 3rd page to the midwife then, and we eventually did hear back from her that time.

We waited about an hour, maybe an hour and a half, for the placenta to show. Baby Wyatt nursed almost constantly during that time.

The midwife arrived about 2 hours after his birth.

Baby Wyatt made his grand entrance at 1:50pm, weighing in at 9lbs 2oz, and measuring 21 inches long.

He’s nursed like a champ since then.

Canadian mom to Boo (Aug '02), Bug (Aug '04) and Bear (Dec '06).
Jesse (July '09)
#2 of 22 Old 12-09-2006, 07:41 PM

Congrats! Happy baby mooning!

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#3 of 22 Old 12-09-2006, 07:52 PM

Congrats! What a wonderful birth story!! Did you midwive ever tell you why she didn't answer the other two pages?

Kristen treehugger.gif mama to Chris(15)eat.gif, Kaitlyn(10)blahblah.gif, TJ(8)sleepytime.gif and Natalie(5)thumbsuck.gif & Emily(2)diaper.gif

#4 of 22 Old 12-09-2006, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristenyostdc View Post
Congrats! What a wonderful birth story!! Did you midwive ever tell you why she didn't answer the other two pages?
She didn't get them. After the third page, the paging service just CALLED her at home as she hadn't picked up the other pages. Not sure what the problem was, but they weren't going through.

Jesse (July '09)
#5 of 22 Old 12-09-2006, 08:06 PM

Wow!!!!! What a birth! Enjoy your little one!

:
#6 of 22 Old 12-09-2006, 09:52 PM

Wow, thanks for posting.

Stephanie married to Jerry  partners.gif  mama to  modifiedartist.gif (10) and superhero.gif(7) and 3rdtri.gif
#7 of 22 Old 12-10-2006, 03:35 PM

Congratulations!!

, , , and
#8 of 22 Old 12-10-2006, 07:36 PM

I'm glad everything work out so wonderfully. see women know what there doing!
enjoy your little bug
~Erin
#9 of 22 Old 12-10-2006, 09:53 PM

Love the name Wyatt...it is our ds name too!!!

Great story...I was totally there with you as you described transition. You handled it with strength and wisdom in what you body was telling you. Way to go!!!
#10 of 22 Old 12-11-2006, 02:32 AM

Congrats!!!!!!!!!
#11 of 22 Old 12-11-2006, 11:01 AM

Congratulations, Lea and welcome Baby Wyatt!!

, , , mama to Ross , Reagan (8/29/05), Joshua (from Haiti...here NOW due to the earthquake!), and Elijah , born safely 9-8-09.
#12 of 22 Old 12-11-2006, 05:38 PM

Congratulations!!
#13 of 22 Old 12-12-2006, 12:37 AM

We as women REALLY do know what to do during birth!!! Western medicine now has to realize this. Loved your story. Congratulations to you and your family.
#14 of 22 Old 12-12-2006, 06:14 PM

wow, congrats! beautiful story!
#15 of 22 Old 12-13-2006, 05:36 AM

Congrats and welcome to Wyatt!

~Lanie mom to Layne, Liam, Maren, Meridian, and Melora
#16 of 22 Old 12-15-2006, 03:53 PM

Congrats, mama! I'm so happy to read of a happy birth for you and #3!

What were Owen and Heather doing during the intense phase of the birth? Were they with Daddy?
#17 of 22 Old 12-15-2006, 05:35 PM

What a story! Congratulations mama!
#18 of 22 Old 12-15-2006, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-stasis View Post
Congrats, mama! I'm so happy to read of a happy birth for you and #3!

What were Owen and Heather doing during the intense phase of the birth? Were they with Daddy?
They hung out in the living room with us. Our doula kept giving them little jobs too - like helping her to get cold cloths and wiping mama's face and neck.

Heather hung out near my head and shoulders a lot - just kind of leaning on me. She was my little shadow through most of the day, it was really really sweet.

Owen was more interested in trying to get the doula to play toys with him.

Jesse (July '09)
#19 of 22 Old 12-16-2006, 02:06 AM

Congratulations! What a great birth story! Thanks for sharing!
#20 of 22 Old 01-01-2007, 01:26 PM

Oooh, I just saw this! What a beautiful entrance!

Congrats! I'm so glad your new little guy is here!

Spark and her four firecrackers.
#21 of 22 Old 01-09-2007, 01:43 AM

Wow, what an amazing birth story! Congrats!!!!
#22 of 22 Old 07-07-2007, 01:56 AM

A very late reply. You popped into my mind today, and I wondered when you delivered and how it went.

Congratulations on the safe arrival of Wyatt! He's just shy of 7 months old, now.

How did everyone adjust?

Take care,

K

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page