Teo's Home Waterbirth - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 29 Old 01-05-2007, 04:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It started Christmas evening, i started to feel small small contractions on the way home from my parents'. i had lost my plug the day before. I told my sister and dh about the slight contx. Dh told me to call my mom. She was not surprised at all. They were only like 3/hour at that point and sometimes i didn't even notice them. They did wake me up at about 6am the next morning though. i tried to get back to sleep... but that wasn't going to happen. i got up, let dh sleep, and went into the other room so that i could watch the clock and see how far apart they were... about 5 min. I could easily function through them. i decided to do different things to see if they would slow down, indicating this was a false alarm. I sat at my computer, i stood, i layed down ... nope, everything stayed pretty consistant at 1/5min.

DH got up to go to work. i told him to go ahead. i'd call him if anything drastic happened, but right now is just the beginning. I called the MW at 10am, she said to call when either my water broke or i couldn't talk through my contx. (pretty standard from what i knew, i just wanted to give her a heads up... it was a VERY busy week for them) I then called my mom and sister. They decided to head down together.

I don't remember what time mom and sis arrived, but once they did they cleared out my living room... moving furniture that i couldn't... to make room for the tub. Then we just hung out... i was trying to keep track of my contx on paper, but after a while my mom took over that duty... i just wanted to know how far apart everything was. I spent sometime every hour in the bathroom, the toilet was a nice place to be, for a little while.

DH got off work around 5 but then had to go back out at 6 to see some patients. no problem. i'm still walking and talking through everything. He blew up the tub and wrapped the bed before he left. He was pretty nervous/antsy, but we gave him chores to do to keep his mind off things.

He doesn't get home until late 10ish cause of a pizza issue. one chore was to get pizza for mom and sis. he went to the wrong pizza place after placing the order and then had to cancel and re-order. poor guy.

no problem on my end. I was just going from place to position trying to get comfortable. that wasn't happening. laying down was the worst though. Sitting and standing worked better. i spent some time on the ball. at one point i felt a knocking on my cervix, strong enough to make me jump. we thought it might be my water and called the mw. since i was the one talking to her through the contx she said call her later. okay. i think that was around 11?

During the next 5 hours i keep up my routine, futon, ball, bathroom. I also puke 3x. my mom puts a star next to the time for my regugitating efforts. lucky me. Around 4am dec27 my water breaks, no mistaking it this time. i have my mom talk to the mw 'cause i know i'll have another contx during the phone call. They are coming. Is the water clear? let's find out... stand up, pull pants down. no modesty whatsoever! i wanted to make sure there was no reason for transfer. i had Dh start filling up the pool. He used all the hot water in the tank... wasn't very hot, but got in anyway, and then he started boiling water on the stove. By the time he finished filling up the pool with boiling water i was very comfy.

mw arrive at 5am. i get out of the pool, the check me. i'm fully dilated. surprised them i'm sure 'cause when they came in i was talking and comfy in the pool.

i get back in the pool, took my shirt off cause a wet shirt is a cold mama. DH is now behind me and reminding me to stay in my zone and to flutter my eyes when i hav a contx so he can rub my arms (a hypno trigger) i can do this.

My body pushes a few times on the next contx. surprised me! My lower back, right above me sacrum, starts to burn. painful and i didn't like it at all!
i'm told that is the baby. i just wanted it to be over... i push some more... i'm still reclining in the tub. mw suggests i get on my knees and let gravity help. (i had thought about this before... don't know why i waited) so. i turn around and hang on DH. i also complain to him about my back poor guy, he couldn't do anything but be there.

It felt like this baby was coming out my butt!!! i didn't feel that i was making any progress pushing, eventually i was able to feel a very small part of the head. The next push the head was almost out. the push after that I was determined to get this baby out. i was tired of all this work and i didn't want to have any more contx...they hurt. So, i grabbed dh's wrists, squeezed on both ends, i felt the head come out, i reached down, put my hand under his head, felt his head turn and i pushed again, wanting this baby out so i could be finished... well, he came out... much to everyone's surprise (except dh's he was watching my face). my mw was in the bathroom and my sister wasn't filming at that time.

8am

I tried to pull baby up to my chest, but the cord was too short. Baby stayed by my leg, half in half out of water. I'm busy staring at baby's face, dh was busy telling everyone "it's a BOY!" very very surprised! He is beautiful... full head of black hair, big dark eyes, red skin....

mw assistant checks cord to see if still pulsing... nope, so she puts the clamps on and dh cuts the cord. we try and get him latched on in the pool, he wasn't too happy at that point. so i get out of the pool, onto the stool. hold baby, feel a small contx (hardly hurts) and out comes the placenta.

We wrap baby up, give him to dh so that i can go get stitched up. Apparently, i should have let baby finish coming out on his own and not push after his head was out. i gave myself a second degree tear through my perinium. according to the mw it was/is pretty clean and she was able to stitch up the inside and the outside. i didn't feel a thing. i had a brand new baby boy in my arms. when she got finished with my stitches, she finished up her paperwork... which involved baby's name. DH and I just looked at each other and knew and agreed on his name: Teotimo. "Teo"

all the time since he came out mom and sis called and text messaged everyone that it was a boy. but no name or information 'cause we didn't have that fast.

We do the newborn tests and such. weight: 6lbs 8oz height: 18.5 inches
no vit. k no eye goop

I was stitched up, got to rest a bit, then came the 'get to the bathroom and pee" portion of the day. i was able to sit up, but not stand w/o getting light headed. Which i had warned the mw might happen. they were in no hurry and offered me a second option. the birthing stool with a pan next to the bed. sounds good to me... i don't gave to go anywhere.
i'm able to pee and not faint. yea!!!

all in all everything went great. the contx took me by surprise, they were painful and while i thought everyone could tell that apparently they couldn't even tell when i was contracting. i felt a burning sensation in my lower abs. if i concentrated i could feet my uterus lifting but that didn't hurt at all.

George did great. he checked out what was going on... checked on me occassionally, checked out the mws, and was just George. Lovable pup that he is.

Eventually everyone leaves, according to dh, around 3. DH, Teo, and I curl up in bed and proceed to email pics to everyone. proud parents tht we are.
#2 of 29 Old 01-05-2007, 04:57 AM

Thank you for sharing!!!! So beautiful. I feel all warm and fuzzy reading it (well, except for the puking & tearing part. )

So, what did you/plan to do with the placenta? Just curious.
#3 of 29 Old 01-05-2007, 05:04 AM - Thread Starter

oh... yeah... the placenta.
i wanted to dry and encapsulate, but didn't know how or have the supplies so, i didn't care what they (mw) did with it.
#4 of 29 Old 01-05-2007, 06:57 AM

Katt thanks for sharing. : :
#5 of 29 Old 01-05-2007, 10:09 AM

Thanks so much for sharing katt! It's a beautiful story. :

Expecting #2 in May 2013!

0***4***8***12***16***20***baby.gif***28***32***36***40

#6 of 29 Old 01-05-2007, 10:27 AM

Oh sweetie! : What a gorgeous story! And you were such a strong mama!

I'd love to hear more about your urge to push after his head was out - did it feel like a "brain urge", or did you feel in your body that you wanted to push? can't imagine how hard it is to feel that his head is out and not bear down.
#7 of 29 Old 01-05-2007, 11:02 AM

Congrats!
#8 of 29 Old 01-05-2007, 11:47 AM

What a great story! Thanks for sharing!!
#9 of 29 Old 01-05-2007, 12:58 PM

Katt, what a beautiful story! Thank you so much for sharing it with us!

Mama to J (Apr 01 '08) and N (Feb 13 '10)
#10 of 29 Old 01-05-2007, 01:11 PM

thanks for sharing
#11 of 29 Old 01-05-2007, 01:22 PM

this is amazing-thank you for sharing!

Come ponder with me about food!
#12 of 29 Old 01-05-2007, 02:55 PM

Thank you for sharing. It sounds like you did a wonderful job and stayed calm through it all. That was a beautiful story.:

I have a couple questions if you don't mind sharing. Was is hypnobabies or hypnobirthing you used? Did you take classes or just home study? When it came time to push were you still using your hypno techniques?

Congratulations!

Mama to my sweet Sophia, born at home on 4/6/11.

namaste.gif

#13 of 29 Old 01-05-2007, 04:46 PM

AWWW, what a wonderful birth story!!!! U are awesome Katt!

NMY actively making my dreams happen :
#14 of 29 Old 01-05-2007, 06:19 PM

How wonderful! I just love reading about first time mom's homebirths. CONGRATULATIONS!
#15 of 29 Old 01-05-2007, 09:00 PM

Thanks for sharing Katt! It's so great that everything went well.

belly.gif heartbeat.gif   computergeek2.gif  
#16 of 29 Old 01-05-2007, 09:11 PM

another beautiful peaceful birth...ahhhh...so lovely. Congraulations!
#17 of 29 Old 01-06-2007, 04:20 AM

Beautiful!!!! Thanks for sharing!!
#18 of 29 Old 01-06-2007, 04:25 AM - Thread Starter

shanna-
after his head was out it was more of a 'brain urge' i suppose. but, i ended up pushing at the same time as my body pushed... make sense? thus the tear.

wateraddict-
we took a private course of Hypnosis for Childbirth. The therapist came highly recommended by our mws. She used to do Hypnobirthing, but has since revamped it a bit to fit what she has seen would be more useful.

i really can't say if i was still in my zone during pushing. I assume I was because i was very focused and dh was with me reminding me to stay in my zone.
#19 of 29 Old 01-06-2007, 04:25 AM - Thread Starter

thanks all
#20 of 29 Old 01-06-2007, 10:02 PM

I really enjoyed reading your story! now I have to write my own!

hh2.gif  ~~~~~~~~~~hh2.gif

#21 of 29 Old 01-08-2007, 01:45 AM

Oh yay katt! Thanks for taking the time to type that out. You're amazing.

Love,
Afton
#22 of 29 Old 01-10-2007, 10:51 PM

Thank you so much for sharing your story Katt!
It sounds like you really knew what you were doing. I hope I can be that brave and calm. I'll have to look into the hypno stuff.

Wife to J. Mama to DD(3yo) & DS(1yo)
#23 of 29 Old 01-14-2007, 02:05 AM

Katt, thank you for that beautiful birth story!!! You are amazing!
#24 of 29 Old 01-16-2007, 08:53 AM

Congratulations! Thanks for sharing!

, , , and
#25 of 29 Old 01-16-2007, 05:27 PM

what a great story! Thanks so much for sharing!
#26 of 29 Old 01-17-2007, 11:54 AM

Congratulations, Katt!

Just a beautiful, beautiful story. You're an inspiration!
#27 of 29 Old 01-17-2007, 01:00 PM

Congratulations! What an awesome birth story.
#28 of 29 Old 05-30-2007, 10:23 PM

I just noticed the link to this!! Thank you so much for sharing your story!!!!!

Traveling mama to DS (2) my nature boy :
#29 of 29 Old 06-02-2007, 02:09 AM

That's how I always envisioned a water birth at home.

I'm inspired by you Katt - I definitely want to try doing this next time. Thanks so much for sharing.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page