Forum Jump: 

Old 01-06-2007, 11:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
picture about an hour after shr was born:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/85494408@N00/

The birth story of Josephine Marie

I was worried about being away from my boys on Christmas Morning and was hoping baby would either be born before and give me time to get home, or wait until after Christmas. We went to the Children’s Midnight mass (at 5:30 pm) at our Parish—and this was great since I got to go with my mom and dad, husband and 2 boys. Then we ate delicious tamales for dinner, drank cocoa, and hung out.

Baby sister did wait, and we had a wonderful, exciting Christmas Morning with 5 year old Theo, Vincent 2.5 years, and Grandma and Grandpa eventually made it over later.

Right after we opened presents I began to get some different, regular contractions than I had had before… and they continued to come even while I sat down. It was like my baby and body waited until after the excitement of Christmas was over. Kyle told me to just take a shower and relax. So we hung out and enjoyed our new toys and watched Over the Hedge. I got a bit nauseous, but felt good at dinnertime and ate and even did the dishes and stuff. Right after dinner I was a bit downhearted because my contractions basically stopped. I was frustrated and just wanted the baby to be born!

We put the kids to bed and eventually went to bed. I had the weirdest dreams and knew that at some point the contractions picked up again, but they were not painful. I’ve never been really good at timing them—and they didn’t last one minute at all.

At about 2:20 in the morning or so I woke up because I heard Vincent crying—I went to check on him and while walking down the hall noticed that I had some wetness in my pants, so after making sure he was alright and still asleep, I went to the restroom.

I was really shocked to see lots of blood (I had been wearing pads because of the increased amount of mucous and just in case my water broke)… So I went to wake up my husband, Kyle, and change out of my pajamas. When I told Kyle I had lots of blood, he leaped out of bed and got dressed really quickly. I was a bit scared and so he helped my get our stuff together. I felt like I had to have a BM, but was afraid that all the pressure was just the baby and didn’t want to strain or anything because of all the blood. So we called my doctor and he said to go to the hospital. Then we called my parents and they came over about 15 minutes later. Finally, we could leave for the hospital!

My contractions were a bit more painful by this point, and closer and closer together. I turned up the freaky jazz they were playing (Miles!) and enjoyed the ride—which was only about 10 minutes since there was no traffic. When we got to the street the hospital was located on we hit a red light. I could tell my husband wanted to just run the red light, but there was a cop right there… I didn’t want any more delays!

We get to the hospital and just park in the loading zone. The place is really quiet and me go up to labor and delivery. My doctor had called ahead and so we didn’t have a lot to tell the nurses. At this point, my contractions were painful and difficult to talk through. I could not sit still for the triage nurses to get a good monitoring of the baby—they knew that my contractions were strong enough and close enough together because I was started to freak out a bit.

I had wanted a drug-free birth, but in the face of the pain I freaked and said I wanted an epidural. I felt really weak at this point, but my husband just said that it didn’t matter if our baby was born un-medicated or not—and that I was still a good mom. He was really sweet. I was surprised that I was only 6cm dilated, but when they called my doctor he said he would be right over—which was surprising since it seemed like I still had a long way to go. But he knew that if my water broke (my water bag was totally bulging) I would go from 6 cm to 10 in no time at all.

It got really crazy at this point. The nurses decided to wheel me down the hall instead of having me walk (I guess they didn’t want to take any chance and let my water break before the doc got there). Contractions would let up, but only for like 30 seconds, so I could catch my breath, but they I was swallowed again. Vocalizing and making animal sounds really helped.

As soon as I crawled over into the delivery bed I could not get up and could barely sit still for the heart monitor on the baby. Apparently the baby’s heart rate was dropping down to 80 right after a contraction and then would stay there. The nurses asked that I lie in a very uncomfortable position, but they were trying to get the heart rate up.

When my doc arrived shortly thereafter, he said that this was distressing. I asked about the cord—and if the cord could be compressed or something and he just said he didn’t know and that he just wanted the baby to be born without further delay. My doc is usually really cool and calm, and he was through the whole delivery, but for him to say that it was distressing kind of freaked me out. He then said that he was going to break my water and because the baby needed to be born ASAP.

I asked if I could have an epidural before he broke my water—initially he said yes, but then there just wasn’t enough time. He broke my water and then I was a mess. I started saying to my husband that I couldn’t do this… He rubbed my back and this made me feel so much better.

They checked me again and I was at 8cm… I felt like I HAD TO PUSH… I kept yelling, “I feel like I need to push!” “I want to PUSH!” They wanted me to lie down and this really was painful. I kept saying, “Oh, this is so painful.” The nurse, Linda, was really sweet and just kept telling me I was doing great. Although I was only eight, I could not stop from pushing, so I pushed a bit and then my doc said it was okay to push. I had one great push with the contraction—and then had a moment to catch my breath.

Then another great contraction and push and I started to yell because it was so painful—my doc said to stop yelling (later I teased him about this—saying wasn’t a poor mama in labor allowed to yell? He said he didn’t want me to tear… sure). But I could feel the great ring of fire and knew that my baby would be born soon—but it hurt like hell.

One more push and she was out. She was born!

As soon as she was born they placed her on me—but her cord was really, really short so she was only at my lower abdomen and I couldn’t really see her face just her butt. It was so silly, but I just said really loud, “Oh, I feel MUCH BETTER NOW!” Everyone laughed. My husband cut the cord, they clamped it and handed her to me. I have two boys, but was just amazed at how beautiful my daughter is! And relieved that she was healthy and alert. I was so glad that I didn’t have an epidural after all! I was giddy.

My doctor though that the decrease in the heart rate was caused by the short cord.

They weighted and measured my baby girl right there in the room and then let me and Kyle hold her some more. Eventually they transferred us to a room and we settled… I was tired but overjoyed! She nursed like a pro and was so sweet and looked around at everything a lot. Eventually my Husband left to go home and wake our boys up and bring in to meet their baby sister.

We named her Josephine Marie because I love Saint Joseph—and my husband picked Marie. I am still in awe of my sweet baby girl. We arrived at the hospital at about 2:45 and Josephine Marie was born at 3:48am on 12/26/06, 7lbs. 5oz., 20 inches long!

hh2.gif  ~~~~~~~~~~hh2.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2007, 01:35 AM

Congratulations !

Mama to M (7/05) and S (5/08) my surprise !!!
Old 01-07-2007, 02:36 AM

Yay! St Joseph, pray for us

WOHM married to SAHD, living the dream w/our: 3 girls (14,12,10) and 3 boys (7,5,3) and tie-breaker due Jan 2014

Old 01-08-2007, 01:29 PM

I am so glad everything ended up working out so well. That must have been scary with the decels and the dr getting intense! It's great that the bf is going well! Congratulations on your new little girl and thanks for sharing!

I second the St. Joseph pray for us!
Old 02-01-2007, 06:19 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Congratulations on your baby daughter.

Andrea , child of God, wife of Tim , mama of L, B, J, J

Younique has new products! Come check it out!!
Earn free makeup. Join the sisterhood. Build your future.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:41 PM

congratulations!

User Tag List