The Birth Story of Chiron Sage - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 02-02-2007, 06:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I finally finished it! It's long so bear with me!!

The Birth of Chiron Sage
Born at Home into his loving father’s hands
December 2, 2006 at 2:15pm
8lb. 2oz
21.5 inches long

This pregnancy was a process beyond words from start to finish. Lincoln and I had only been together for 3 months when we found out that I was pregnant and both of us knew from the beginning that everything was going to be great. We knew that “this was the person I could raise my children with.”
The pregnancy was a magical time of self-exploration and growth for us both, but me especially. I have never felt so in-tune with myself nor any other being before (and I have always been pretty in-tune with my body.) Other than mild nausea for a few days in the beginning and a short scare with some hemorrhaging at 33 weeks, everything was going perfectly. I loved the pregnancy glow and the way my body was changing, becoming more full and curvaceous. I felt so sexy!
On the morning of December 2 at 4 o’clock, I woke to find that I was all wet. ! I had gone to bed at 2am and Lincoln had actually just laid down about 2 minutes before (we typically hold musician’s hours). At first I wasn’t sure what was going on until I got up and had a little stream of fluid running down my leg. My water had broken!! This was it! I called to him and told him what was going on and to get the birthing supplies ready. We were ecstatic! This was the moment we had been preparing for mentally, physically and spiritually for months. We set up the items from my birthing ritual and our medical supplies. For about 15 minutes I didn’t feel much of anything and then all of a sudden I started having strong contractions for 45 seconds every 3-4 minutes. My body was not messing around. I went from gently preparing to midlevel labor in a matter of minutes. I had never felt anything like it before. I never had any contractions before this and all of my sensations had been more like little rushes of energy. The flood gates were now open. It probably took an hour to really get into the swing of laboring (but it seemed like 10 minutes). It was very intense, but not horribly painful at this point. I wanted to keep moving, but standing during the contractions was not comfortable at all. Anytime I was on my feet during one I would have to bend over a counter or Lincoln. I kept moving from reclined sitting on the bed to sitting backwards on the toilet. This dance continued for several hours.
For the most part I wanted to not be disturbed. Lincoln sat quietly at the foot of the bed or behind me, got me water, or took pictures. At about 7am I was getting pretty hungry so Lincoln got me a banana, which I promptly threw up. I decided to just drink lots of water. At some point around 8 am, I asked him to check my dilation to see how things were progressing. It was hard for him to tell a measurement. But he estimated me to be around 5-6 centimeters. This was exciting! Things were really moving along. I continued like this for awhile.
At about 10am the contractions were getting longer, about 1.5 minutes long every 3 minutes. And by 11am things switched gears and I definitely felt different. At first it wasn’t as if I had to push, but I really wanted to. I started slowly pushing, because I didn’t want to rush things. It didn’t hurt, so I continued to push with them. Throughout this process, I had been leaking some fresh blood with the amniotic fluid that was coming out with each contraction. Lincoln and I were concerned about this so we called pamamidwife and asked if this was ok. She said that especially with first time mothers, there can me some blood involved throughout labor and to not be concerned unless it got to be a steady stream, which it was not. During the phone conversation, I had a contraction. She laughed and said, “it sounds like she’s pushing well.” This was very reassuring and we continued on.
The first 20 minutes of pushing was strange and I wasn’t sure if I was doing it right, or enough. Then all of a sudden I couldn’t help but push. My body had taken over and it was bearing down for me. At this point things started to become more painful instead of just intense. I continued to move back and forth between the bedroom and the bathroom in between contractions and there was no getting comfortable any more. This continued for about 1.5 hours. During this time, I kept feeling as if I was fighting against some of the muscles in my pelvic floor or my buttock. I would try to consciously release them, but as soon as the contraction would hit again, I couldn’t do anything but ride the wave and vocalize my way through with throat tones. Then things stepped up again. Not only was I having these intense, painful contractions and needing to push, but there was a burning sensation that continued even between the contractions. I didn’t realize that the “ring of fire” could last for an hour. Shortly thereafter, I had Lincoln check my progress again. He didn’t feel any cervix anymore, but the head was still pretty far up there. So I continued with the pushing, the vocalizing and releasing of the muscles.
By about 2pm I was so tired of pushing and I felt as if I couldn’t do it much more. I was starting to wonder if the pushing would ever stop. I didn’t remember reading stories where women pushed for 3 hours. I had Lincoln check me a third and final time. The head was very low. I got so much motivation back after hearing this. At this point I was on hands and knees on the floor at the side of the bed. I pushed with all my might with every contraction and I could now feel the head coming lower and lower. I could soon feel his head with my hand. It was so amazing! My body was working hard and I was determined to meet my baby. The head lowered with each push and slowly started to crown. Lincoln got behind me and was watching the process unfold. His head came out and Lincoln said “the eyes are open.” I remember thinking “thank God, he’s ok.” His body twisted and first one shoulder, then the next and whoosh; out he came into his daddy’s waiting hands. I was instantly overcome with joy and mesmerized by our baby. I sat down on the floor and we just looked and cooed at him. It took a few moments before I looked and realized that he was a he. We knew right away that he was indeed Chiron. So perfect! He let out a little cry. It was a little grumbly, so we sucked some mucous out of his mouth and his limbs pinked right up.
The next 10 minutes were a blur of latching on the breast and us in awe of what had just happened. I had a couple more contractions and the placenta started to come out, but it seemed to be slightly stuck. Within about 2 more minutes, it came out completely followed by a gigantic rush of blood. Lincoln sprang into action, got me a piece of placenta to eat and an herbal tincture to drink. Nothing was working to stop the hemorrhage. All of the blood seemed to come out right after the placenta. I start to get light-headed and tingly. At this point I told Lincoln to call an ambulance. That was the end of our calm birth experience. The cord was white and not beating anymore so we took a handcrafted obsidian blade that was given to us at the birthing ritual and Lincoln cut his cord. Lincoln took Chiron once the ambulance came. The rest is a whirlwind of IV’s, questions and driving to the hospital.
I was actually glad to be at the hospital because I was not doing well at that point. Chiron was fine and with his daddy. And I was cared for by L & D. They removed any more clots in my uterus and stitched up a small tear that I had. I had lost a lot of blood and was severely anemic. Over the next two days in the hospital I rested, was monitored and eventually had blood transfusion. We shocked and amazed many nurses and doctors that we had delivered our baby at home by ourselves. One pediatrician was convinced that it was “medical neglect” to not give our baby the Vitamin K shot and antibiotics in his eyes. She even went as far as to say that he would “start bleeding from the eyes” if we didn’t give the Vitamin K to him. HA! Everyone else was at least sensitive to our personal choices. In fact, the nurses we had were down right wonderful. One even confided in us that she had birthed her children at home unassisted 30 years earlier. How serendipitous!! Even the hospital trip and stay were good in the end. The food sucked, but having someone care for me was nice. All I did was soak in Chiron’s being and breastfeed him. He didn’t leave our presence once nor receive a single intervention except temperature and heart rate checks every few hours.
This birth was breathtaking and if I had to do it all over again, I would birth unassisted in a heartbeat, unless my intuition told me otherwise. For this whole pregnancy and birth were steeped in intuition and the age old knowledge of women everywhere, that birth is a natural and beautiful process. Whenever someone asks Lincoln how it was to deliver his child, he always says “I did not deliver this baby, Alicia did. All I did was put on a raincoat and walk into a hurricane.” For that is what I felt like, a force of nature not to be reckoned with. The power of the body and spirit is truly marvelous and perfect. Just like our little babe!!

Here are some pictures from his first days and thanks for reading!!
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/moongodd...60762365420612
#2 of 21 Old 02-02-2007, 06:43 AM

“I did not deliver this baby, Alicia did. All I did was put on a raincoat and walk into a hurricane.” For that is what I felt like, a force of nature not to be reckoned with. The power of the body and spirit is truly marvelous and perfect.

------

Beautifully said! Thank you so much for sharing this beautiful journey wiht us!

Mum to DS (8yrs), DD (6yrs), and DS(3.5yrs). kid.gif

#3 of 21 Old 02-02-2007, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moongoddess176 View Post
All I did was put on a raincoat and walk into a hurricane.” For that is what I felt like, a force of nature not to be reckoned with.
Your whole story is beautiful, but this made me weep. Thank you for sharing, and congratulations on your babe!

hippie.gif+reading.gif= Peanut (2004), Pumpkin (2007) and Butter Bean!! (2011)

#4 of 21 Old 02-02-2007, 09:53 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Im sitting here reading at 4:49 am for some crazy reason and now I know why, I needed to read this! Thanks for sharing your beautiful story, love your writing! Im so glad your hospital experience went so well.
#5 of 21 Old 02-02-2007, 01:20 PM

Thank you for sharing your beautifull story, Alicia. Happy Babymoon!

Grace Comes.

#6 of 21 Old 02-02-2007, 01:36 PM

What a beautiful story! Thank you for sharing. I love reading UC stories, they are my favorite, always so empowering.

BTW, my ds2's birthday is December 2 as well (2005 though). It's a good day to be born!
#7 of 21 Old 02-02-2007, 02:33 PM

Congratulations on the arrival of little Chiron! What a beautiful story, thank you so much for sharing.
#8 of 21 Old 02-02-2007, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

I replaced the photos link so it should work now! Thank you all for reading my story! Being a part of this group of women has been so informative and empowering!!
#9 of 21 Old 02-02-2007, 03:21 PM

The pics are so wonderful! Chiron is so beautiful!

I'm LMAO at the "baby" in the basinette
#10 of 21 Old 02-02-2007, 03:45 PM

Thanks for sharing, I loved reading it. Congrats on your wonderful babe!
#11 of 21 Old 02-02-2007, 04:53 PM
Banned

that's such a beautiful story! thank you so much for sharing, and for sharing your pictures. that baby is so alert! so adorable.
#12 of 21 Old 02-03-2007, 04:49 AM

Oh you guys are beautiful!! Lincoln's quote is amazing. I"ll have to share that with my dh! Congratulations on your darling little man! Hope you had/are still having a happy Babymoon!

It's such a relief to finally trust yourself.
#13 of 21 Old 02-03-2007, 07:29 AM

What a great story! And I love the quote, too....

You guys all look terrific.

Oh yeah, by the way....we live in the Middle East and our pediatrician who saw our daughter about 36 hours after birth didn't say anything at all about Vitamin K injections or eye drops...and our daughter has yet to bleed from her eyes.

Congratulations and thanks for sharing your story! Happy Babymoon!
#14 of 21 Old 02-03-2007, 02:41 PM

What a beautiful story! Congratualtions
#15 of 21 Old 02-03-2007, 03:26 PM

Wonderful story. Congratulations!

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#16 of 21 Old 02-04-2007, 04:43 PM

what a beautiful story, thank you for sharing it with us.
#17 of 21 Old 02-04-2007, 07:23 PM

I have tears in my eyes, after reading that. Its such an amazing thing. You are a strong mama! And welcome to the world Chiron sage!
#18 of 21 Old 02-05-2007, 12:58 AM

Congratulations on your birth and your sweet baby boy!!

~e, wife to my sweet T partners.gif, mama to my turtleman (8) , sunshine (6 vbac.gif), and monkey (2)
#19 of 21 Old 02-05-2007, 01:03 AM

and what gorgeous pictures!! He is just adorable

~e, wife to my sweet T partners.gif, mama to my turtleman (8) , sunshine (6 vbac.gif), and monkey (2)
#20 of 21 Old 02-05-2007, 12:36 PM

Congratulations!!! That's amazing, and he's a beautiful

I'm moving this beautiful story over to Birth Stories now so we can all share in the love

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#21 of 21 Old 02-06-2007, 04:51 AM

Thank you... I felt that in my toes.
Happy babymoon to you!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page