home waterbirth, surprise UC - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-26-2007, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The Surprise Birth of Callisto Nyssa

February 6, 2007

Ever since I realized that my only option for a homebirth midwife was someone 90 minutes away, and my baby was due in the middle of winter, I worried we might be birthing solo.

When the bad weather and my prodromal labor started at about the same time, I urged Sean to read “Emergency Childbirth.” The birth-tub was already set up and I scurried around getting diapers and baby clothes and other stuff ready. Sean seemed unfazed by it all until the night I had contractions every 10 minutes for the whole night. Then suddenly he was very serious about the birth coming soon!

On Monday night, February 5th, I sprung a leak in my membrane and mistook this for my water breaking. Since it never “broke” with Rowan’s labor, I didn’t really know what I was looking for. I called Meg, the midwife, and gave her a heads up. Of course the weather was horrible that night, very cold and windy with of course blowing and drifting snow along our north-south road.

Slowly, over the course of the night the contractions came closer and closer together. They even began to intensify. At 3 AM they were 5-6 minutes apart and I figured I better alert Meg, since I figured it would take at least 2 hours for them to arrive. When they arrived at 5 AM, the contractions were 3-4 minutes apart, but they petered out really quickly at that point. Oh well, I figured they would start up again soon after I realized my blood sugar was really low. I drank some milk and had some breakfast and then realized nothing was happening. I walked around for a while trying to get them to start up again, but nothing doing. I decided to lie down and get some rest since I had been up all night. Rowan made that difficult. Finally about 12:30, Meg and her assistants came in the bedroom to see me and take my blood pressure again. It was still borderline high and so Meg told me that it was castor oil time. Not something I was looking forward to, but she wanted me to avoid a transport as much as I did. She wanted me to take it at bedtime and call her in the AM. Since I was only 2 cm dilated, I don’t think she was expecting much in the way of labor any time soon. Then they all left.

Sean went off to the store and Rowan was watching TV and I took a shower and lay back down. The contractions started up again at some point and were again about 10 minutes apart. This went on for a while as I drifted in and out of sleep. Suddenly I had a really strong contraction and POP! My water broke for real. It gushed out of me all over the bed. Then came a lull in the contractions but lots of bloody mucus. Hmmm, I was thinking, I guess I’m dilating now. When Sean got home I told him what happened and we called Meg. She said to take the castor oil at bedtime if my real labor hadn’t started by then.

BUT I never needed that castor oil, as suddenly everything seemed to accelerate, the contractions got stronger and stronger and finally about 3:30 PM I stumbled downstairs and threw myself into the birth-tub, because the contractions were getting so painful. Sean called Meg and when she called back she told me she had another woman in labor and she was sending her assistant midwife and the student right now but it would be an hour before they arrived. Looking out the window I could see how hard it was snowing and I wondered if it might not be longer than that.
After that, I lost track of time, since the contractions were one right on top of the other and at some point I realized I felt pushy. I thought we were repeating Rowan’s birth, where I wanted to push at 5 cm dilated. But in hindsight, I was already close to complete. It hurt so bad I thought “I don’t think I cam do this for several more hours, Rowan’s birth was not so painful!” Instead Sean called Sarah to see how close she was and she was still 30 minutes away. There was no holding these contractions back, I was ready to push. So I did. They were bone crunching and I was literally hoping all over the pool to try and get some relief from the pain. Pushing really hard felt the best, so that’s what I did. I rolled over in the tub for Sean to check me and while all he did was look and not touch, he could see, the baby was getting ready to be born! 1 or 2 more contractions and I roared at Sean that “THIS BABY IS COMING NOW!” Momentarily I wished Sarah had been there to check me, but the thought was lost in needing to push hard. Surprise number 1, baby was born in less than 40 minutes of active labor.

Sean and Rowan hopped into the tub with me and two more pushes and the baby’s head was out. Breathing deeply, I gulped air to make sure I didn’t tear. I reached down to feel the head all over. “Is it just the top of the head?” Sean said yes. Okay, no stuck shoulders. At that moment I didn’t realize at some point baby had rotated anterior. I flipped over onto my knees and one more contractions/push and out she shot. Yup, SHE. The baby we were both so sure was a boy, was a girl! Surprise number 2, she was a girl!

Since the tub was contaminated at that point, I wanted her right out of the water. Sean held her up, passed her to me (through my legs) and hopped out to get blankets. She was dusky, but seemed to breathe right away. I blew on her to make sure and then could hear wet little breaths. Sean called Sarah and it was then that we realized it had only been 15 minutes since we called before!

Somehow I climbed out of the tub with her still connected to the placenta, which I hadn’t birthed yet. We huddled on the couch and covered up with bunches of blankets and she pinked up right away. I was glad when Sarah pulled in, as that placenta was being a pain and not coming out. Finally, the cord was gray and lifeless and we let Rowan cut it and I was able to squat down and birth the placenta.

All this and it was barely 5 PM! And I couldn’t believe that I didn’t even have a skid mark or tear.

In some ways it was all so fast it was almost like not having a birth, except there is this baby here!

Of course it took us over a week to come up with a full name for our little snow baby. But we finally agreed on Callisto Nyssa, which brings us full circle to a ritual we did on the full moon last year in April in which we both, independent of each other, invoked Callisto, the Bear-Goddess to bless a pregnancy for us. In Greek, “Kallistos” means “most beautiful” And Nyssa, which is Seneca means winter or sister moon.

We all feel so blessed by our most beautiful winter moon, especially since she arrived in such an unexpected and surprise way. And we thank the Universe, and mostly Mother-Callisto and Brigid for making it a safe and healthy arrival for both myself and Callisto. And Sarah and Christina for driving a total of 4 hours round trip in the worst winter weather to attend us.

"Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this, too, was a gift." -- Mary Olivercoolshine.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2007, 12:49 PM

Now that's what I like to hear! :-) Huge congratulations on your new Winter moon. So glad you both had such a great birth experience!
Old 02-26-2007, 12:51 PM

what a story...congratulations!

i love your daughter's name, just lovely.
Old 02-26-2007, 02:57 PM

Congrats!!! Welcome Callisto Nyssa!!!

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
Old 02-26-2007, 03:20 PM

great job bringing your earth daughter safely into the world. you did so well!
Old 02-26-2007, 03:29 PM

What a beautiful story. Thank you for sharing. Enjoy your babymoon.
Old 02-26-2007, 04:04 PM

Wow! : That is just an amazing and beautiful birth story! Congratulations!
Old 02-27-2007, 04:20 AM

Such a beautiful and amazing story! Congratulations to you! Enjoy your babymoon!

Love the name, too, BTW!
Old 02-28-2007, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybeedreams View Post
The Surprise Birth of Callisto Nyssa

February 6, 2007

Ever since I realized that my only option for a homebirth midwife was someone 90 minutes away, and my baby was due in the middle of winter, I worried we might be birthing solo.

In some ways it was all so fast it was almost like not having a birth, except there is this baby here!
Congratulations and what a lovely birth story!

I felt the same after my last birth and kept asking if everyone was sure that I was done and he was here. Very strange feeling.
Old 02-28-2007, 01:03 AM

What a beautiful story. Congrats mama

Memz, with mylove.gif and mommy  of babygirl.gif born 01/17/10 and 3 cat.gif familybed1.gifsaynovax.giffly-by-nursing1.gif

***4** *8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36**stork-boy.gif40

Old 02-28-2007, 01:35 AM

What a wonderful birth story!

A doula who married a cop & became a mama to 3 boys: G 12/22/00, my rainbow baby B 2/2/07 and L 2/10/10 my CBA2V baby, waiting for my little caboose late February 2013 & always remembering my two angels 2006 & 2012.

Old 03-07-2007, 05:29 PM

What an AWSOME AWSOME birth moma! Congratulations!!!
Old 03-10-2007, 08:14 AM

I loved the story and the name! How beauitful!!

Erika SO to *S*: and Aunt to *A*(10), *Z*(9), and *D*(8)
Old 03-10-2007, 09:23 PM

congrats!
Old 03-14-2007, 07:35 PM

Congratulations! Welcome to your new baby!

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
Old 03-16-2007, 02:58 AM

Welcome little one!

What a beautiful birth story! And such a fitting name for your little girl!

Mama to my spirited J, and L, my homebirth: baby especially DTaP, MMR (family vax injuries)

User Tag List