I AM DONE!!!! Overdue...When to start "helping" things along? Still OVERDUE.... - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 114 Old 03-13-2007, 02:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I believe the baby will come when baby is ready. Our first was 10 days over due from our second due date. Our second child was medically induced at almost 42 weeks. I would never recommend that to anyone who wants to birth naturally. It can be done, I did it, but it is so bad compared to the beautiful way it could have been. I wouldn't rush. You and your husband need to do what you guys think is best. Hope everything turns out well.
#62 of 114 Old 03-13-2007, 10:12 PM

I am now 42 weeks. This is my first so I don't know what to expect. I hope we both have our babies soon.

::
#63 of 114 Old 03-13-2007, 11:50 PM

Well, I came here to look for some advice, and boy did I find some!

I am 42 weeks today. I have been "done" for 4 weeks!! This is my fourth baby. I've gone to almost 42 weeks with each of them. My first was a castor oil induction that worked GREAT (and by the way, I don't believe that castor oil is absorbed into the body and I don't believe it can affect babies like some people do, to each her own of course). But we did it just shy of 42 weeks (2 days) - for the "law". Ya know.. I had a midwife, and I was more naive and whatnot. Anyway.....I have been doing everything I can this time to sort of try to get myself over the edge, but nothing is happening. I am having TONS of contractions. Good strong ones sometimes even, but nothing is going on really, more than that. I've tried stripping myself, and so has dh, but my cervix is just so high (because baby is so high, which is normal!) that we can barely get a fingertip into the cervix.

I finally broke down today, and bought two bottles of castor oil. The stuff is truly horrible. I made this concoction, which I've had before - and sat down at the kitchen table, and well, just sat. And sat. And dh sat with me. And I fretted....because I have a touchy gag reflex. And the stuff is disgusting. Finally, I plugged my nose, and gobbled. One gulp. And could barely swallow it. And then choked some up. Now, I've DONE this before. So I KNOW I can get it down, but the stuff is just horribly nasty, and I guess I couldn't get into the mind over matter thing, because I sat there staring at it for five minutes before getting up and dumping the rest out. Couldn't do it, just couldn't. I guess I'm not as sick of being pregnant as I thought I was.

The worst thing for me is - people - . They're annoying to me. I mean, BIG TIME. "Are you STILL here???" "When is that baby comign out??" "Doesn't that baby know it's supposed to be here already..??" "You're still pregnant??".
To the last one I've begun to say "what? Noooo. I'm not PREGNANT. How rude!". LOL.
*sigh*
It's hard....for me, going to church each week and having these women make these comments. The biggest mistake I made was saying I was due "at the end of February". I know I go over...I should have said "middle of March". People accept it way more if you have your baby early rather than if you have your baby late! Even people at my husbands workplace make comments to HIM. "Why haven't they induced her yet??" They don't know we're doing it solo of course. No one would really fathom that (he works in a hospital!).

So anyway, here I am. Still drinking my very strong RRL tea, and walking, and squatting with contractions, and waiting....but I am really ready........really....ready...to be done. To see my baby and hold my baby and nurse my baby, and be done. I love labor and birth. I love the process of labor, the challenge of it. And I just want it to begin. So I'm right there with you....have tons of empathy for how you feel, and what you are going through. This being my first UC (all three others were homebirths, but not UC), I am a little anxious, and I wonder if that is holding things back, but I just pray and think positively - because that is all I can do. Please let us know when the baby comes. :

Amanda, wife to my best friend Josh, Mommy to Jenna, Lukas, Adam, Livea and Ethan!
#64 of 114 Old 03-14-2007, 12:33 PM

I'm really sorry if this is inappropriate, since I'm not part of this forum, but I've been following 3U3's story, and I just wanted to lend my support and see if there were any updates! Hope that you are holding your precious babe soon!

Mama to H (6) B (3) : A (1)
#65 of 114 Old 03-14-2007, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

Still here...still pregnant. Tomorrow is 43weeks, so I guess it is time to start thinking of going in for check-ups. Keep hoping that invisible deadline will jump start things, but no luck.

Prodromal labor starts the minute I wake up, but still ends when I head to bed. Just praying for some really HUGE contractions that signal things are progressing...come on...give me a little more pain!
#66 of 114 Old 03-16-2007, 02:26 AM

I'm just a lurker here, but wanted to mention that a hot water bottle, held against the chest, can sometimes bring on labor. I guess the idea is that it simulates the effect of holding a newborn baby.

When I was getting near the due date with my DD, I happened to be reading an article about this method, while I was in bed with a hot water bottle at my feet. My curiosity got the better of me, and I lifted the bottle up to my chest, basically just to see what would happen. After less than a minute, I started feeling really weird... as in, some kind of major hormonal shift... so I quickly moved the bottle back down to my feet. Then I went to sleep... and woke up in labor a few hours later.

I was like, wow, I guess it worked! : I'm not gonna do that again unless I really mean it!
#67 of 114 Old 03-16-2007, 10:55 AM

I consider myself an expert on at home inductions - ugh, I've tried *everything*, truly nothing works (herbs, homeopathics, castor oil, pumping, hot water bottles, AROM, sex, walking...) Lot's of things will give you contractions, but that doesn't mean you are going to have a baby. IMHO based on my experiences, it is much safer to just go ahead and have pitocin if you really need to get a baby out. I deeply regret tinkering with my labors, and I wish this information would stop floating around out there. Mine's not a fun opinion, but I think it is an informed opinion based on experience and research. I feel that midwives who advocate "pushing things along at home" are putting their clients at risk and are behaving irresponsibly - stepping over the line between normal birth and problematic.
#68 of 114 Old 03-16-2007, 11:07 AM

Mama, where are you? Are you still there?
#69 of 114 Old 03-16-2007, 11:39 AM

2bluefish...I've had 2 herbal inductions with midwives thanks to PROM and they both worked very well...though I worry myself about that information being out there because many women are using the herbs and homeopathics incorrectly and/or are putting themselves and their babies at risk with attempted or successful inductions.

Agreed, lots of things will give you contractions...but I think if you're not ready, induction won't work and that goes for pitocin as well. It's just more powerful.
#70 of 114 Old 03-16-2007, 11:53 AM

"if you're not ready, induction won't work"

EXACTLY - so why do it? The risks are *way* too great. Alot of people make it out ok, so they mistakenly think of it as "safe". But inductions are dangerous - inductions of any kind are dangerous. That's why I feel they should be performed at the hospital with life saving equipment avaliable if they are truly neccesary. I have had 2 inductions (I would call them augmentations) - 1 homebirth, one homebirth turned hospital birth. The side effects of the 1st were malpositioned baby, PTSD and a uterine infection that put me in the hospital for 3 days. The second time I made it out fine, but my baby was held in the NICU for 5 days (we feel he was fine, but had we not messed with my labor, he would never had been subjected to that). Yeah, technically it all went "fine" - but our babies deserve so much more.

I'm not saying that induction or augmentation is never neccessary, but I do feel that as a society we are way to comfortable with the idea. What started out as "well, I'll just take a little blue cohosh..." ended up with my baby in the NICU.

Not the popular opinion I know, but I've learned my lesson, and I hope others won't have to go through what I have.
#71 of 114 Old 03-16-2007, 11:57 AM

We REALLY are all too ready to push things along with our babies, it's a heck of a note.

I end up with augmentations because my water breaks and labor stalls out due to polyhydramnios (my uterus is just so darn happy to not be so stretched out any more it decides to take a several day break). I think that any augmentation/induction should not be done without the assistance of someone who is knowledgeable of the risks. I think it doesn't preclude homebirth...but women who opt for one should know that it could affect their ability to have a homebirth.

Of course, people say it's easier for me because I have my babies early...but dealing with the NICU certainly isn't fun or easy. I'm glad that my midwives taught me how to STOP labor so that I could have homebirths. I just wish I could rely on my body and not have to be so 'managed'. I don't like not having faith in my body.
#72 of 114 Old 03-16-2007, 12:04 PM

Well, I'm going to try my best this time around! I have felt at the time with my births that I needed to be managed. But I so just want to be home with my kids and no body be in the hospital!!

I'm curious about the polyhydramnios. How did they diagnose that? We were concerned that was my problem last time. I was huge and only 37.5 weeks. Baby was 6 lbs 11 oz at birth. I did the whole labor all night stop during the day thing for a week. I was progressing, but very very slowly.
#73 of 114 Old 03-16-2007, 12:10 PM

The last labor was pretty wild. I actually got to the second stage at home and was pushing, but then we found a lip. My labor just stopped. I waited a day and then went to the hospital. They thought I was nuts of course because I was a 3 at the hospital, said there was no way I had been dialated. I was *not* pushing at 3 of course! I went through 2 labours for 1 baby. I really think I'm owed a fast one!! But at any rate, no VEs this time, if somebody is distressed, then I will get help, otherwise I'm waiting!
#74 of 114 Old 03-16-2007, 01:01 PM

They diagnosed it by u/s with #2, and ever since then, when I have it during a pregnancy I can tell. I feel like a walking waterbed. I only have it with my boys, oddly enough.

With this pregnancy, my midwife caught symptoms of pre-e. I'm doing what I can on my own to lower my BP, and when it got really nasty I went to the ER to see if I was okay. Fortunately, because I won't give up control in my pregnancies because it's MY BODY, I was able to get them to hold off the induction and try to treat the symptoms. We got my BP down and I was released. It's still a bit high, but not too high to have a HB. Even if it was, I'd still consider going UC.

I know when I have to be managed, and when I don't (that's because I've had so darn many kids I guess...live and learn), but it's really empowering knowing that ultimately, everything is my decision...even if I need other people to help me implement that decision.

Starting homebirths and then UC is by far the most empowering/feminist thing I've ever done.
#75 of 114 Old 03-16-2007, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryCeleste View Post
I'm just a lurker here, but wanted to mention that a hot water bottle, held against the chest, can sometimes bring on labor. I guess the idea is that it simulates the effect of holding a newborn baby.

When I was getting near the due date with my DD, I happened to be reading an article about this method, while I was in bed with a hot water bottle at my feet. My curiosity got the better of me, and I lifted the bottle up to my chest, basically just to see what would happen. After less than a minute, I started feeling really weird... as in, some kind of major hormonal shift... so I quickly moved the bottle back down to my feet. Then I went to sleep... and woke up in labor a few hours later.

I was like, wow, I guess it worked! : I'm not gonna do that again unless I really mean it!
I haven't heard of this before! What's the dealio? What should I Goodsearch? Hotwater bottle induction?

~laura
and planning to eat it again
#76 of 114 Old 03-16-2007, 02:06 PM

Weird about the boy thing - with ds I hardly ever felt kicks. And I was a little freaked about the size I was getting, because I'm pretty roomy and don't usually pop out much. I went for a u/s at 30 weeks because I was worried I was having twins. He said I had plenty of water. He didn't say anything about too much. But when my midwife friend got in town, she wondered if I wasn't over stretched. I dunno - there was a ton of water.

But I think I'm having a girl this time - for a weird reason. My stools smelled funny when I was pregnant with dd, and now I'm smelling the same smell! But time will tell I guess.

My pregnancies have been easy - just seem to have gotten hung up at the going into labor part. I'm not convinced my problems have all been impatience, but I've decided I don't want to mess around at home anymore. I'd rather just go to the doctor if there is a problem. I agree that it is empowering to be able to choose when and if we need help.
#77 of 114 Old 03-16-2007, 03:03 PM

My DD was born 3 weeks "late". I had false labor on and off for about a month before that.

The waiting is so awful. It was baby number one so there were a lot of questions and family was not supportive.

We tried, sex, nipple stimulation, castor oil 3 times (BTW put 2 oz in OJ, stir until the bubbles are tiny and chug. I could not taste it. The 3 hours of pooping really sucked.), evening primrose oil, walking. You name it.

In hindsight DD was just not in the best position yet. She never was fully engaged. We think she may have had an arm under her chin and was aiming slightly to the side of her head (not as far as her ear) so she needed all that early labor to move into a better position to be born. I was in "real" labor for 3 days.

If something like this happens again I think sex, walking and nipple stimulation will happen (nursing DD, so I may not have a choice) but I will not be that keen to do more.

I may just be a slow cooker. I feel a lot calmer about it this time around.

Sending good labor vibes to all you mommas.

One happy momma joy.gif to a very spirited little girl dust.gif, her tough little brother superhero.gif, and a happy little suprise late April 2012 stork-suprise.gif. Wife to an overworked and under paid husband geek.gif.

#78 of 114 Old 03-16-2007, 04:22 PM

I haven't been able to find any info about the waterbottle thing. : If any of you have any info. . .

I'll start a thread about it later.

~laura
#79 of 114 Old 03-17-2007, 01:31 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, so along the lines of "when to start doing something", my next question is "what could be stopping labor?" I do have regular contractions...some days they are stronger than others, but there is not a day that I dont have at least a dozen "good ones".

What could be some physical reasons this baby is not giving the signal to exit...I understand all the emotional reasons of holding on and such, but I am curious to hear about real reasons that labor can not begin?
#80 of 114 Old 03-17-2007, 02:51 AM

How is the babe's positioning? Have you been practicing OFP and stuff? That is always what I first think of when the labor is slow to start and just doesn't get going.

Have you looked into homeopathy at all? My UC son's birth started great, but I just felt like he was a tad off. I took something....pulsatilla, maybe, and contractions started, strong and gentle. It really got things moving. I know that I posted a website in the resources sticky about homeopathy which would give you more info.

Much love to you,
Amy
#81 of 114 Old 03-17-2007, 09:01 AM

Thinking of you mama, sending lots of labour vibes your way. Come on out and play baby!

My dd was at 42 weeks, I had tried everything walking, acupressure, acupuncture, reflexology, essential oils, homeopathy, herbs, lots of garlic, nipple stim, sex, talking to baby, all because in the UK my midwifery cover for a HB would be withdrawn at 42 weeks,(actually I discovered that if I had stayed home and refused to go to the hospital they would legally have had to provide me with a mw, but who wants that hassle in labour.) So with 8 hours to go to the deadline labour started, but true to dd's nature it was another 27 before she showed up! then another 3 before the placenta came - that really had them jumping!
#82 of 114 Old 03-17-2007, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3under3 View Post
What could be some physical reasons this baby is not giving the signal to exit...I understand all the emotional reasons of holding on and such, but I am curious to hear about real reasons that labor can not begin?
DD2, who I "induced" with castor oil at 41w6d (born at 42 exactly) came out with a nuchal hand, which did cause me to tear. I think that contributed to her "lateness." (But I also know I had emotional things going on with my ex/divorce, so I think it was a combo thing. Once I took the castor oil things went quickly and smoothly).
#83 of 114 Old 03-17-2007, 10:40 AM

Could be a lot of things...wrong dates, malpositioning, baby just needs a little more time...sometimes they're just stubborn and like making you wait.

I'm getting sick of the contractions with no progress, myself. We should coordinate our uteruses and have a couple shamrock babies.
#84 of 114 Old 03-17-2007, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

Hmmm, well, I know the date is fairly accurate. I can say that there could be about +or- 7days in there, but even then that makes me 42+ weeks or 44+ weeks.

Doing a second round of acupuncture today, and then I am seriously considering trying castor oil...probably my last resort. I feel I have done pretty well "waiting" on baby and that is why I just wonder if my body needs a jump start. I said I was not comfortable going to 43weeks, and that date has come and gone. So, apparently this baby has no interest in listening to momma's self-imposed deadlines: .

Just praying for the start of labor!
#85 of 114 Old 03-17-2007, 12:00 PM

~laura
#86 of 114 Old 03-17-2007, 12:49 PM

If it's any consolation, my fetuses never listen either. I've been trying to make this one wait til March 30th...he laughs at me. Mine like to come early...but they still totally put me through a week of labor before they get here.

Good luck, mama. I've been thinking of you!
#87 of 114 Old 03-17-2007, 01:49 PM

You have done a great job so far and you're almost done!
#88 of 114 Old 03-17-2007, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro246 View Post
I haven't been able to find any info about the waterbottle thing. : If any of you have any info. . .

I'll start a thread about it later.
I just know from experience that it gives me contractions to put a hot water bottle or a heating pad on my chest. Makes me feel really hormonal and I get contractions. But of course, nothing really *works* for me
#89 of 114 Old 03-21-2007, 08:40 PM

thinking of you mama and hoping you are holding your sweet baby in your arms right now!

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
#90 of 114 Old 03-21-2007, 11:33 PM - Thread Starter

The WAIT IS OVER!!!!!

Carson Fraus C.
March 20, 2007
6:35 am

12lbs 2oz 22inches

Here is the story in brief....Another great UC home water-birth. Long pregnancy, drawn out prodromal labor for about 3 weeks, good strong contractions starting Sunday 3/18 at night but not consistent enough (every hour then as close as 5 minutes..blah blah...finally had a pink show and thought that it had to be time!)that went on for the next two days, short active true labor...good hard labor started at 2am Tuesday 3/20 (the ok, this has to finally be it contractions that woke me from sleep)...in birth pool by 4:30am (took a while for DH to get out of bed and get moving..dont think he believed me)...started pushing by 6am (told DH I was not ready yet...did not have a choice though..baby was ready!)...around 6:20am I told my DH I hoped this would be over soon, because I was hungry!!!...out by 6:35am. No tears, but one small scratch...love that water! Did decide to transfer after birth for observation...quite pink, but slow to breath( just like my last son) so we called EMS and went to the hospital to have him checked out. Strong heart rate at all times, but just couldnt seem to catch those first breaths. The doctors guess that it is due to the size of my kiddos...he was kicking and squirming even as his head was crowning, but that last little push must be a tight squeeze!!! Everthing looked great...back home the same day. Had to fight with them a little...wanted to give him sugar then formula, but I was able to pump colostrum and feed it to him, so they backed off. Now, nursing like a champ(typing one handed!), and waiting for the milk faucet to kick on! Will add more later.

*** Let me know how to post a pic to this message board and I will put one up!****

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page