The Birth of my Daughter - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-29-2007, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dd is now almost 3 months, but I finally had the time to sit down and write this out.

The Birth Of my daughter
I woke up on Sunday morning, January 7 and went to the bathroom to find that I had some bloody mucus. That was a good thing because I knew that it meant labor was in the near future - I was 18 days "overdue"! It was kind of weird because I felt like all day I was waiting for it to start. I would get contractions, but there was no pattern to them and then they would die off. Finally at 6:30 pm we were eating dinner and they were starting to come every five minutes and they were building up from the bottom of my belly and working their way up. Some of them hurt but nothing too painful. At about 6:45 pm I called my midwife and told her what was going on. She told me that that was definitely a good sign and that she was going to finish eating dinner if that was ok and then would be on her way. As soon as I hung up the phone all the contractions stopped completely!! I was like you have got to be kidding me. I told dh I was going to feel bad if my midwife got here and I was not in labor. I went to lay down and was feeling tired.
At 8 pm I started watching Desperate Housewives and was feeling really sleepy at this point. At 8:45 my midwife called from about 30 minutes away and told me that her car was overheating and asked what was going on. I told her that I was not having regular contractions and actually felt like labor had stopped. I also told her I was feeling very very sleepy. She told me that she didn't mind coming and checking on me but that if I didn't want her to come now that she had a place in Waimea to hang out and to call if things started happening. So I decided to have her just wait there and see what happened.
I laid down and slept for a little bit. At 12 am my contractions were starting to pick back up and were really hurting if I was laying down. I called my midwife and she told me that she was on her way. So at about 1 am she got her and checked me I was at 4-5 cm. She checked the baby's heartbeat and my blood pressure. Everything looked great. Now it was just about playing the waiting game. The baby was giving me some great kicks and there were times when you could almost count the toes from the outside of my belly.
DH and the midwives set up the birthing pool and the midwives set up all their supplies and got my birthing kit out. I tried laying down in my room with the boys but my contractions really hurt laying down so I got up and took a nice hot shower. Then had a cup of red raspberry tea. At about 4 am I told my midwife that I was feeling really sleepy again and was going to try and sleep. I ended up falling asleep until about 7 in the morning. I was so happy that I was able to rest. It really helped with having the energy that I needed to give birth.
We ate breakfast and just hung out. My midwife checked me again and I was a solid 5 cm dilated . My blood pressure was great and the baby's heartbeat was strong and showing variability. I thought that maybe labor had stopped again because I felt too good to be in labor. I was having contractions but nothing that hurt too bad. At about 11 am DH left with DS so that he could open our store for the employee and he would be able to put DS to sleep in the car so I didn't have to nurse him for his nap.
At 12 pm my midwife asked if I minded doing the cohosh tinctures and try and get labor started. I was all for it - I was ready. So I started the shots of black and blue cohosh every fifteen minutes. After the first shot I had a contraction 10 minutes after. It was the kind of contraction that takes your breath away. Every 10 minutes I was having a contraction and the good ones that mean something is happening. We did the tinctures for 1 hour and then at 1 pm I did a double dose of the tincture.
DH got home and DS was asleep - thank goodness. I told my midwife that I would like to lay down and that if they wanted to go get lunch they should probably do so now. She said that sounded like a good idea and if anything started to happen to call and she would be right here.
I laid down and then at 2:38 pm I woke up to this contraction that hurt so bad and called to DH to tell him to write down the time. The very next moment I got this horrible pain in my stomach - it felt like I had been punched. My water had broke. I called my midwife and she said they would be here in just a few minutes.
At this point I has having contractions between 2 - 5 minutes apart and each one was taking my breath away. I was moaning through them and rocking my body back and forth. I was doing a good job with my breaths welcoming each contraction and then releasing them when they were over.
When the midwives arrived they began filling the tub with warm water and then checked me again. I was at 7 cm. Yay!!! I was going to be holding my baby so soon. I was finally able to get in the tub and it felt soooo good. The warm water was awesome and the contractions still hurt but felt so much better in the water.
I was starting to feel sick and began puking in a bowl. Even though I was puking I knew it was a good thing. It meant I was in transition. I hung out in the tub and this is where I don't know where the time went because I was not concentrating on the time I was concentrating on my contractions and my breaths.
At some point I told the midwives that I needed to get out of the tub. I was too warm and needed to try and pee. I went into the bathroom and couldn't make it to the toilet I was having such intense contractions. It seemed that every time I moved I was having a contraction. I was leaning on the bathroom sink and getting sick a little more. The cold sink felt so good on my skin. My legs finally couldn't take it anymore and I had to get on my hands and knees.
At this point one of the midwives left the bathroom to tell DH and DS that the baby was coming and soon. She told him that I got in hands and knees position by myself and that is instinctual for a mother to do that is about to give birth. My midwife then came back in and asked if she could check me one more time and I told her yes please check. I was at 9 cm. YAY. She told me that if I felt like pushing I could but if it hurt to stop.
I got up off the floor and tried to pee one last time but as soon as I got on the toilet all I wanted to do was push. My midwife told me to reach down and see what I felt. I could feel the baby’s head. I knew I had to get back in the tub.
I got into the tub and there was this total calm that came over me. I felt like my labor had stopped for a brief moment and then I felt the urge to push. My midwife told me to keep my hand down there and feel the baby’s head. She told me that it would also help with pushing because I would know what was going on down there. So I pushed and it seemed like only seconds and her head was out. Pushing didn't even hurt it just felt good.
It felt great knowing that I was going to be holding my baby in minutes. When her head came out the midwife told me that I was going to have to lift out of the water because she had her cord around her neck and the midwife needed to be able to unwrap it. I did that and then pushed her shoulders out and then the rest felt like she just slipped right out.
I pushed her out in a total of seven minutes. The first words out of my mouth were "that was awesome". And it was - it was the coolest feeling in the world birthing my baby. DH then came back in the room - when her head came out she was so purple from the cord it freaked him out so he watched from the hallway. He said he felt so helpless and didn't know what was going on.
He came in and told me that we had a baby girl. I was shocked but at the same time was overjoyed that I had a baby girl. I finally was able to get out of the hands and knees position so that I could hold my baby. She was beautiful. It really was love at first sight.
She had a complete knot in her cord. My midwife said she has only seen that 2 other times and has been to over 1000 births! It was pretty amazing. Her cord was really long too. My midwife said it was because she was so active.
I got to hang out in the tub for a little while. DD immediately wanted to latch on and nurse. She was a nursing pro! She had no problems latching on. It felt awesome to be nursing a newborn again.
It was then time for me to push the placenta out. I was still having painful contractions. I got out of the tub with DD still attached to my breast and then sat on the birthing stool to pass the placenta. For some reason it was not coming out. Lots of clots but no placenta. I tried pushing a few more times and then they decided to move me to the bed so that I could try there. I finally gave one good push and out came the placenta. It looked good and healthy but there was this weird clot on it. Nothing to worry about though.
The midwives then began the newborn exam. Her official time and date of birth was 5:02 pm HST January 8, 2007. She scored a 9/10 on the apgar. She weighed in at 8 lbs exactly and was 20 inches long. We hung out and ate dinner and then it was time for bed. We were all pretty exhausted.
It was a wonderful birth experience! I loved every minute of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2007, 10:40 PM

Great story, thanks for sharing! And congrats! Sounds like a GREAT birth!

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
Old 03-29-2007, 11:37 PM

Congratulations, mama! And what a beautiful name.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

User Tag List