Nathan and Natasha are here! Twin hospital birth (quite long) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-01-2007, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have these notes thanks to my doula!
The quick stats:

I carried the babies to 36 weeks 5 days and was induced due to high blood pressure.
Natasha born at 10:40 pm weighing 2965 grams
Nathan born at 10:46 pm weighing 2305 grams

The long story
March 28th I went to see my OB and after taking my blood pressure three times she said that I had high blood pressure, it was 150/100, tons of swelling in my feet and some protein in my urine. She asked if she could check me and I agreed; I was two centimeters dilated. She asked if she could do a membrane sweep and I agreed hoping that that would bring on labour. We talked about getting induced. She said that I could be put on the induction list at the hospital or we could wait but then I would have to be monitored daily. If during the monitoring they saw worrisome stuff that I might be converted to a c-section. I said that I didn’t want to be monitored. Kevin and I talked about being induced. Being induced was something that we really wanted to avoid. We agreed that being induced meant that I could still deliver vaginally and that our goal was that four healthy people leaving the hospital. My OB said to go home eat a great meal and get a full night sleep.

We went home and called our doula, Jacquie. She was attending another birth but was confident that she would be done before midnight and that we would see her the next morning. I started getting fairly regular contractions. We had dinner and I tried to get some sleep, but insomnia and excitement meant that I got little sleep.

I was wide awake at 4:30 on the morning of the 29th. I went downstairs and watched TV. At 8:00 am I was feeling tired enough to go back to bed and I headed upstairs. Right after I climbed in bed the hospital called to let us know that they were ready for us and they wanted us to be there by 9:00. I called our Jacquie; she was just finishing up with the same woman from the night before and she would meet us at the hospital. I hopped in the shower, my contractions had petered out and I had the shakes. My babies were coming soon!

We rushed around getting the stuff to take to the hospital and then hopped in the car. By the time we arrived Jacquie was just pulling up. We took a few pictures while we waited for the room to be readied. By 9:55 we were in Room 4, one of two twin birthing rooms at the hospital. I got the fetal heart rate monitors attached and baby A was 138 and baby B was 147 and my blood pressure was 135/80. My IV was started and oxytocin was started. 10:55 the resident comes in to say hello. At 11:00 a new nurse arrives and I decide to try to get some sleep.

12:15 The resident returns to do an ultrasound to confirm that both babies are still head down and they are

12:45 pm The anesthetist comes in to talk about the epidural, he will return later to put it in. After he leaves a computer technician comes in to replace a computer. The tech isn’t able to fix the computer and will have to come back. Both Kevin and I work with computers and it was hard for us not to want to jump in and make the process go faster. My contractions are starting to pick up but they are still mild. My blood pressure is 128/73. The babies are moving about and sometimes drop off the monitor.

1:40 My OB comes in and wants to rupture my membranes and put a clip on baby A. We agree because baby A keep dropping off the monitors. My fluid is clear and the clip is attached.

1:50 The anesthetist returns to do the epidural. It wasn’t nearly as bad as I thought it would be. I am lying down by 2:10; by blood pressure is 137/73. Kevin is stroking my hair and Jacquie is rubbing my feet.

3:00 The computer tech returns to finish fixing the computer. I notice that the contractions are starting to pick up. Kevin heads out to get something to eat. It is warm and sunny outside, they are mowing the grass. Contractions are registering on the monitor and I feel pressure. The nurse suggests that I press the button for my epi, “tweet tweet” goes the epi monitor. Contractions are 3 – 4/10 minutes and my blood pressure is 139/75.

3:20 I am relaxed and Jacquie is rubbing my feel. I feel pressure like I want to pee at the peak of the contractions. My belly is itchy and Jacquie gets me ice to put on the itchy spots.

3:30 Kevin returns and I start visualizing open and out when I feel pressure. We talk about our honeymoon. Lemon groves on the Italian Cinque Terre.

3:45 A different computer technician arrives to finish fixing the computer problems. Jacquie is at my feet and it feels so good!

4:00 I have a cold cloth on my eyes and Kevin is rubbing my feet and legs. The room is totally quiet except for the baby’s heartbeats. Baby A 134 and baby B 152, contractions are 3/10 minutes and strong.

4:50 I have the shakes again so I am given a warm blanket. My blood pressure is 137/80. I have some orange juice and comment that I am tired. My OB arrives singing “you’re the one that I want”. My OB tells me about the replacement OB since she will be going off shift at 6:00. My OB asks us what we think we are having; we think boy/girl since that is what the magic 8 ball told us.

5:15 I press the epi button again, I’m feeling more intense pressure. The new resident pops in to introduce herself as the other resident is going off shift as well.

5:30 My OB comes again and does a vaginal exam, I am 100% effaced and 4cm, she says “you’re now in labour”. We decide to put in an IVCP to monitor contractions.

6:05 My OB comes in for the last time with the replacement OB. I ask if the replacement OB sings as well, she doesn’t. She does tell us that American Idol is a guilty pleasure. Kevin goes off to get some dinner. My blood pressure is 129/69 and I’m feeling front and back pressure.

After Kevin gets back Jacquie goes to have dinner with her husband, it has been almost three days since she last saw him.

8:00 I am very hot so we have opened the door to get some air flowing into the room. I am vocalizing with “Mmmmmmm” with each contraction. The OB is here, I am feeling pressure in my bottom for the last two contractions.

8:15 I am fully complete and getting ready to push. Baby A is OP and asynclitic but not too big.

8:30 Kevin is by my side and giving me icy cloths, ice to suck on and Jacquie is rubbing my feet and stroking my legs. She tells me to visualize the baby doing a pirouette.

8:45 The IVPC is taking out and we are ready to push.

8:55 On my right side to push, it feels fairly comfortable.

9:00 The OB explains what will happen at birth. It is her preference to convert baby B to breach if it flips or doesn’t descend properly. I nod but I’m not worried at all.

9:15 I am told that I am doing amazing pushes and that we should see the head soon. Kevin is excited and I get more cold cloths, chapstick and ice. Someone says “all-star pushes”.

9:30 I can feel the baby moving down. Baby is still asynclitic and OP. The OB says that they will have to do a C/S if no progress soon.

9:55 Jacquie suggests changing position. I am on my back using the bar to put my legs on and there is a sheet attached to the bar that I use like climbing a rope.

10:00 There is a hint of head; it is almost bald with a little bit of fuzz.

10:15 The OB is here and comments that I’m making tons of progress. “She’s done so well!” There is major head visible.

10:25 Everyone is getting set and the bed is rearranged. I feel the baby’s head. I know that the room is crowded but I don't notice. I am focused on Kevin and Jacquie. I remember looking up and seeing all the people.

10:35 Crowning!! It burns so much! I remember thinking I can't do this and then then immediately thinking I can't stop. I hear Jacquie tell me that it is safe to push.

10:40 It’s a girl! Natasha has swelling on the left side of her head. She is crying and grunting. Off to see the pediatrician. She weighs 2965 grams

10:42 Baby B is coming head down. There is much commenting because they didn’t expect baby B to slide into position so easily. The mood of the room relaxes.

10:46 It’s a boy! Nathan is a bit stunned and after a quick cuddle he is off to see the pediatrician. He weighs 2305 grams.

11:00 I need two small stitches. Both babies are back in my arms. I am asked their names and I announce they are Natasha and Nathan. Natasha is still grunty and Nathan is quiet and wide-eyed.

11:15 Nathan starts some tongue action and I offer him my breast. He doesn’t latch but is content to hangout. Natasha heads over to Intermediate Nursery since she won’t stop grunting. For some reason I’m not worried. It turns out that Natasha stops grunting after an hour in the nursery but they have started blood work and IV antibiotics so she stays there for her first 24 hours.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2007, 09:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Congratulations! They are so sweet. Can I ask how many weeks and their weights? I'm starting to get nervous about going too early! Hope everyone is well and you are getting some sleep.

And some smilies from my kids who have watched the slide show several times. : : : :

Me.  With 1 spouse, 4 kids, 16 chickens, 74 matchbox cars, 968,562+ legos, a dishwasher waiting to be emptied, a washing machine waiting to be filled and a lost cup of tea in the house.

Old 05-01-2007, 10:11 PM

That is so awesome! What an amazing story! Congrats on your twins!

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

Old 05-01-2007, 11:15 PM

Congratulations!
Lisa

Our children make a study of us in a way no one else ever will.  If we don't act according to our values, they will know.~Starhawk Rainbow.gif  New  User Agreement! http://www.mothering.com/community/wiki/user-agreement

Old 05-03-2007, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumm View Post
Can I ask how many weeks and their weights?
Congratulations on your upcoming twins!

I went to 36 weeks 5 days.

Natasha weighed 2965 grams
Nathan weighed 2305 grams
Old 05-04-2007, 09:31 AM

Congrats! I often fantasize about twins, how awamzing!

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
Old 05-04-2007, 07:54 PM

Wow- Good for you. I think I converted the weights right. She was about 6 lb 9oz and he was just over 5? Did you have ultrasounds that predicted weight? Were they accurate? I had an ultrasound at 33 weeks and they gave me weights and I wonder if I should really put any stock into it.

I must say that you look really good in the photos after their birth- radiant! And then so skinny in the other photos.

How is everyone doing now? Natasha still grunty? How's nursing going? Thanks for sharing!

Me.  With 1 spouse, 4 kids, 16 chickens, 74 matchbox cars, 968,562+ legos, a dishwasher waiting to be emptied, a washing machine waiting to be filled and a lost cup of tea in the house.

Old 05-08-2007, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumm View Post
Wow- Good for you. I think I converted the weights right. She was about 6 lb 9oz and he was just over 5? Did you have ultrasounds that predicted weight? Were they accurate? I had an ultrasound at 33 weeks and they gave me weights and I wonder if I should really put any stock into it.

I must say that you look really good in the photos after their birth- radiant! And then so skinny in the other photos.

How is everyone doing now? Natasha still grunty? How's nursing going? Thanks for sharing!
The technicians who did my ultrasounds (I had several) never gave me weight estimates. They shared the measurements with us and we knew that the babies were developing well. At the third ultrasound the technicians were concerned about Nathan's size. We had to go for the next scan after two weeks instead of waiting a month. I was beside myself but my OB who is also a peri said not to worry. She reminded me that the scan is merely a snapshot of a particular moment and that with twins as they get bigger there is less room to move and that they get in positions that make getting accurate measurements very hard. She did say that Nathan was smaller but he was still well within the acceptable range.

I gained about 50 pounds and I haven't stepped on a scale yet since giving birth. I am waiting for my postpartum visit to see what the OB's scale says. I separated my pubic bone so I haven't been able to be as active as I would like.

The babies are thriving. Both of my babies are noisy, the grunting that Natasha had resolved itself after an hour after delivery. I have to say that nursing is so much harder than I ever expected. We are still struggling to get good latch at every feeding. I am exclusively breastfeeding and I pump for when I head out to my chiro and massage appointments.

I can't believe that the babies have slept the whole time in writing this reply. I'm going to go grab something to eat
Old 05-09-2007, 03:33 PM

How cool to have notes on the birth like that. Congrats Mama!
Old 05-09-2007, 04:36 PM

Learning to nurse can be hard! I imagine learning to nurse while there are two babies can be brutal. The hard work will be over in a few weeks and then it will be much easier! Good for you to stick with it.

Old 05-10-2007, 03:35 PM

Congratulations, and great job! Twins are such a blessing (my g/g fraternal twins are now 9 months old). Hang in there--it's super hard for awhile, but it gets tons better.

Michelle G.

User Tag List