Midwife almost killed me... - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 98 Old 07-16-2007, 05:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by o4smommy View Post
jrose, im so sorry that happened to your parents...i know what your father felt,,,my husband was overwhelmed, they thought they were gonna lose me...and have to raise my son and a new baby along with planning for a funeral. please do make sure no one ever messes with your placenta and let any pg friends know aswell.

having IV access would have helped get fluids into me fast, all MW's should carry an IV kit..i just assumed they did...assuming was my fault...

alegna,obviously a hep-lock is intrusive, but if you have no problem with it, why not rely on the safe side? its not like it hurts or has side effects...it was just an idea..and every birth is "normal" until something happens...and nothing seems "necessary" until we need it. hindsight is 20/20 i guess.

i still have a longing for that "beautiful birth", maybe the 3rd time will be the charm..either that or it will kill me!

I will refuse an IV or a heplock or anything like that iwth my next birth. They don't necessarily hurt but they are execeptionally distracting. My MW convinced me to have one with my last, saying that she was very good at it and I would nto even notice it.

I fixated on it my entire labor.

This is a tree on fire with love, but it's still scary since most people think love only looks like one thing instead of the whole world. *
#92 of 98 Old 07-23-2007, 04:09 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OMG! I cannot believe she did that to you!!! And they can't admit your baby without your consent, no matter what they say. But they could have called CPS I suppose, and I've been there and wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy! You did well, and all you could! But I don't believe that MW! She shouldn't be licensed, and you should have known she'd never attended a birth before. Never came up?! )
to you, mama!!!
#93 of 98 Old 07-23-2007, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by o4smommy View Post
thanks Nicole! I appreciate it and eeveryone who has supported me....

and to the others...i am in no way downing MW's..im as crunchy as they come!

i think if were all educated enough..maybe as a society whole...we wont even need MW's...We'll deliver our own babies!
UC'ers DO deliver their own babies! Although I don't know many who call it delivering--catching, or not calling it anythin but having the baby is more common, at least that's what I've seen. Anyway, I caught my own baby, and I agree that if we're educated enough and don't let society's expectations and fears affect us, we can take control of our own pregnancies and births. And we should.
#94 of 98 Old 07-23-2007, 10:38 AM

There is another option besides a hospital birth, CNM type midwife who uses the same interventions as a doctor, a medicalized or fearful homebirth midwife, or a UC, its called a CPM, certified professional midwife. You still have to interview them like anyone else, but they are typically not associated with a hospital or doctor practice and specialize in home births and are trained in the art of using herbs and homeopathics and the natural art of birthing. There are also DEM's, Direct Entry Midwives. You still have to interview them, but there your chances of uninterfered with birth are higher than with a CNM.
#95 of 98 Old 07-23-2007, 10:52 AM

Wow, Bestbirths, I hope you're not saying all CNMs are "medicalized or fearful homebirth midwives who use the same interventions as a doctor." That is a huge and incorrect overgeneralization. My CNM with my second dd was as hands-off as you can get and totally respected my decisions on what tests to have and how to do them. She didn't touch me ONCE during my labor and delivery -- my labor was totally, 100% uninterfered with.

For this pregnancy I'm seeing two CNMs who are very similar. I know a lot of women who have homebirthed with them and have had nothing but good things to say.

I hope I'm misunderstanding you because it's just simply not true that all CNMs are like you describe. Certainly some of them are IME and I had a crappy birth center birth with a CNM. But you can't tar them all with the same brush.

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#96 of 98 Old 07-23-2007, 11:28 AM

FTR, I gave birth in Florida with a DEM as well. They can give IV's, they should have them with them. My MW could even give me IV antibiotics for GBS if I so chose, and I am almost certain she had some pitocin just in case as well. Her MW's should have had these supplies, and for SURE her doppler should have been in working order.

I'm so sorry this happened to you! And what is even more appalling, than the original actions on your placenta itself, are their actions afterward and minimizing the urgency of your condition.

Amy, USCG wife and homeschooling, ebfing, homebirthing Mama to M (8), L (6), L (2.5)
#97 of 98 Old 06-02-2008, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericswifey27 View Post
If a midwife in Florida or elsewhere cannot carry the proper equipment to safely handle complications because of licensing laws, that is indeed very very troubling : That needs to change.
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
FTR, I gave birth in Florida with a DEM as well. They can give IV's, they should have them with them. My MW could even give me IV antibiotics for GBS if I so chose, and I am almost certain she had some pitocin just in case as well. Her MW's should have had these supplies, and for SURE her doppler should have been in working order.

I'm so sorry this happened to you! And what is even more appalling, than the original actions on your placenta itself, are their actions afterward and minimizing the urgency of your condition.
Yes, Midwives in FL can and should carry pitocin & iv's. There are, last I looked, 5 pharmaceuticals that FL midwives have easy access to.

~laura
and planning to eat it again
#98 of 98 Old 06-02-2008, 12:04 AM

um? Synchro? the original post is over a year old. why bring it back?

OP if you are still around, blessings to you and your future.

Carrie, The Birthteacher CCE and Doula, real mom to five; and womb-mom to G. born at 23w by emergency C. 12/09

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page