Rilla Autumn's Unassisted Birth - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 10-10-2007, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
October 2nd, 11 days 'overdue' and feeling slightly frustrated that I'm still pregnant, I finally decide to post something on the MDC forum...just a quick note because I need encouragement and reassurance. The wonderful women that responded lifted my spirits and reminded me that babies will come when they are ready.

My DH and I came to the decision to UC quite unexpectedly. A newly pregnant friend of mine expressed to me how limited her options were for giving birth in the new town they were living in. Because her labours in the past had been fast and her husband almost had to catch the baby anyway, I suggested looking into unassisted childbirth, something I'd just read about. At this point, I was 5 months pregnant and planning a homebirth with midwives. After telling my friend about the option to UC, I realized that's what I wanted!
DH agreed, but only if I would continue seeing the midwife for minimal prenatal care...just in case I ended up wanting to call them in labour.

Back to October 2nd. It's 8.30pm, our 2yr old DD is in bed and DH and I have some intimate time. I hop on the internet (to check facebook of course!) and end up having a long conversation with a friend who gave birth in water 5 months ago. 9.30pm I decide I should retire to bed.

10.15pm and I have a contraction that feels like menstrual cramping. Nothing new...been having these for the last few weeks. I dismiss it and continue writing in my journal. The contractions become more frequent, and suddenly I'm breaking inbetween writing to assume a hands and knees position on the bed during contractions. I felt so relaxed - this isn't labour!

10.45pm and something runs out between my legs during a contraction. Is that my water breaking? It wasn't much...maybe I peed because I am so relaxed? I get up and inform DH...he jumps up from working and rolls the kiddie pool into the living room. He might as well fill it up, even if this isn't the real deal, I wouldn't mind hanging out in there!
I retreat back to our bedroom while he fills the pool and spend some time praying and talking with God. I feel so relaxed and at peace. Then I realize this is really labour. I begin to vocalize now, letting out long, low 'mooing' sounds and swaying my hips rhythmically. So glad I am alone...

The pool is full with as much hot water as our tank will provide! I get a little worried that I'm not in active labour yet...walking around the kitchen leaning over a chair during contractions, they become noticeably more intense. I don't care how dilated I am, the pool is calling.
Sweet relief! And then the most intense contraction yet! I'm torn...stay in and let things progress, or get out and lumbar around some more? It's 11.45 now. There's something holding me back from being completely unhindered. I tell DH to call our friend to come and pick up DD. 2 minutes later he is here; DH hands off our sleeping daughter and they're gone into the night. I held off all contractions until they left. 12am and things intensify again. I am moaning rather loud...DH is sitting behind me in a chair doing sudoko puzzles (and yawning occasionally - which is driving me insane!!). I pray and ask God for a little break. He provides and I fall asleep between contractions.
I'm on my knees with my arms draped over the side of the pool...my moaning is ending with high pitched sounds that tell me I'm losing control. I pray quickly for strength to submit to the power of my body. Was this transition? Can I manage pain any more intense? Apparently yes...

I roll onto my back with my legs spread open and a contraction hits that moves the baby down into the birth canal. I think, 'this isn't the optimal position! I need to be upright to use gravity!' My intuition rules out and I stay how I am only to feel my body involuntarily push - and my bag of water gushes out into the pool. Blood is everywhere and I know it's time to deliver the wee one.

Wait! I can't be pushing yet! I haven't even started timing contractions...
I try not to push...I pant...my body gears up with the next contraction and again, involuntarily pushes so hard I find myself squatting and biting the pool edge while screaming. I look up to see my DH in front of me; my eyes are searching his, trying to tell him that I am terrified and my body feels like it's being ripped apart...no words leave my mouth though. The pain is so intense...I might be dying. Then a break.

A good minute or two. I contemplate my options. I can suck this baby back up and stay pregnant, or get on with this and meet my baby. I manage 2 words to Brian - 'other side!'. He quickly moves behind me (still not in the pool though) as I have another contraction. It causes me to push so hard that DH literally sees hemmorhoids appear on my bottom! I feel something bulging in my vagina. What is this? It's squishy...too squishy, but my water already broke didn't it? My body gives a 4th push and I feel the baby crowning (Brian said the amniotic sac burst out of me at that point). The pain is crazy intense; I feel with my hand and it stings my perineum so I quikly remove it. I give a big push and the baby is out to the nose. I yell out, 'get your hands off of me!' Brian says he isn't touching me...but informs me of the baby's progress and it gives me just enough encouragement to continue. I push once more and feel instant relief as the rest of her head, and body are born. Brian scoops her up and I quickly lift my leg and turn over to receiver her.

It's a girl! We were sure it'd be a boy! The cord had already stopped pulsating and was quite white and limp. We wait to cut it and just enjoy our new baby girl, trying to get the mucous out of her. So alert and active, looking around at everything, no interest in nursing. Her little skin is cracked and dry...testament to her 'lateness' I guess! What time is it?! 2.10am...a short 4 hour labour (compared to the 26hr labour with DD!).

We cut the cord and I climb out of the pool to deliver the placenta on the floor. It's big and beautiful - I take the sewing scissors and cut a piece off to eat, to help slow the bleeding. Then take some Shepard's Purse and climb into bed to relax a bit. I want to shower, but am so shaky that I decide to take some Rescue Remedy and lay down for awhile.

The most amazing experience I have ever had. Wouldn't change anything about it. It was empowering, fabulous, God-filled and completely natural. UC was the best decision for this birth and I'm so glad I was able to witness the unhindered power of my body doing the work it was made to do!

Wow. Sorry this ended up so long! And I thought there wouldn't be much to write...
#2 of 25 Old 10-10-2007, 07:01 PM

Wow...

Congratulations!!!!
#3 of 25 Old 10-10-2007, 08:38 PM

Thank you for sharing the story of your little ones birth!

Welcome Rilla!

Midwifery Student and Mama to 2 daughters and 3 sons.     
ribboncesarean.gif vbac.gifhomebirth.jpg I have given birth a variety of ways and I am thankful for what each one has taught me.

#4 of 25 Old 10-10-2007, 09:44 PM

Horay!!!
#5 of 25 Old 10-10-2007, 10:29 PM

Yay! Congratulations

Mama to a bright 5 y/o girl dust.gif and a beautiful boy born 03/10/12 fly-by-nursing1.gif Loving unschooling, 2xuc.jpgfamilybed2.gif ecbaby2.gifand natural living in Hawaii.rainbow1284.gif
#6 of 25 Old 10-10-2007, 11:26 PM

Congratulations!!

~e, wife to my sweet T partners.gif, mama to my turtleman (8) , sunshine (6 vbac.gif), and monkey (2)
#7 of 25 Old 10-11-2007, 11:28 AM

CONGRATULATIONS! That was a beautiful birth story. Thanks so much for sharing.
#8 of 25 Old 10-11-2007, 04:21 PM

Congratulations! Thanks for letting us share in your joy.

Mama to my sweet girl born at home 6/09
#9 of 25 Old 10-12-2007, 01:11 AM

Great job mama! I admire your patience--no induction despite the frustration! Congratulations!!!
#10 of 25 Old 10-12-2007, 10:13 AM

WOW! Congratulations!

HBACing, co-sleeping, breastfeeding, babywearing, d/s vaccinating, food and fitness-loving single mommy to two little monsters.
#11 of 25 Old 10-12-2007, 12:38 PM

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Thanks for sharing your amazing birth story!

Crunchy, pagan, vegan,homeschooling wife and mother of 3 beautiful daughters and 2 wonderful sons

#12 of 25 Old 10-12-2007, 08:05 PM

Wow! What a beautiful story. Congratulations.
#13 of 25 Old 10-12-2007, 08:11 PM

I loved reading your story. It sounded so beautiful. Congratulations! -Lisa
#14 of 25 Old 10-13-2007, 04:39 PM

congratulations!
#15 of 25 Old 10-13-2007, 04:46 PM

WOW!!! Congratulations...what an amazing story!

Jessica ~ SAHM to Julianne (5-19-07) & Jocelyn (8-10-08) #3 12-25-10
Wife to my best friend and love of my life
#16 of 25 Old 10-13-2007, 10:21 PM

Awesome! You must be thrilled with how things turned out!
#17 of 25 Old 10-14-2007, 12:22 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for all your congratulations!
#18 of 25 Old 10-18-2007, 05:10 PM

Wow, congratulations, that's inspiring, I hope I can go uc this next time!
#19 of 25 Old 10-18-2007, 06:35 PM

What a beautiful story! Congratulations !

Mama to M (7/05) and S (5/08) my surprise !!!
#20 of 25 Old 10-20-2007, 11:42 PM

What a beautiful birth story. Congratulations on your new little one.

Wife to Joe and Mama to Rosie, 6/28/06, Jack, 10/25/08 and JoJo 3/18/10.
#21 of 25 Old 10-20-2007, 11:47 PM

Where'd you come up with her name? It's lovely.
#22 of 25 Old 10-22-2007, 01:38 AM

another great birth, i'm glad you shared
#23 of 25 Old 10-25-2007, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter

Blessed wrote: Where'd you come up with her name? It's lovely.

Partly from Anne of Green Gables series (Rilla was Anne's daughter) and also because in German it means stream - we thought that would suit her; always going with the flow, but don't get in her way!
#24 of 25 Old 10-25-2007, 11:29 PM

What a great story! Congratulations!
Lissa
#25 of 25 Old 10-26-2007, 02:26 AM

So sweet! What a powerful feeling that must have been, to just follow your body and not have anyone telling you what to do. congrats.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page