Natural Twin Hospital Birth - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 11-03-2007, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(This is long, and if you just want the birth story and no background, scroll down a bit!)

The birth of Hazel Grace and Lucy Marie
October 26, 2007

On June 6th, 2007 we found out we had been doubly blessed. Kevin had to pour concrete that morning and wasn’t able to go with me to our 18 week ultrasound. It was too bad he missed it. I nearly fell off the table when Dr. Longenecker said, “Do you see that? Here’s a head….and here’s another head.”

I had been seeing a midwife and was planning my first homebirth. We had only ever heard one heartbeat, though my fundal height was measuring bigger; I could feel my uterus at my belly button at 14 weeks. I remember mentioning to a few people (jokingly) that I thought we might be having twins, though I wasn’t really convinced. I also had all day sickness from 6-14 weeks which was a new experience since I’d never felt ill during pregnancy. I thought it was God’s way of reassuring me that this baby (babies!) was doing ok since I was really apprehensive after miscarrying a few months prior.
Kevin and I had to cancel our homebirth plans and we met with Dr. Longenecker (and Dr. Hardesty-female resident that I LOVED) the next week to learn how being pregnant with twins was going to change my prenatal care. He explained that I would have to meet with a perinatologist for a level II ultrasound and check of my cervical length. We were hoping that I would only have to see the perinatologist once or twice. Dr. Longenecker also said that I had to make it to 35 weeks to be able to deliver with him at our local hospital.

First peri appointment was at 23 weeks. We decided that we wanted to find out the sex of the babies. We usually don’t but felt that we wanted to be as prepared as possible. We found out we were having monozygotic twin girls (identical) as they shared a chorion and a placenta. This meant they were at risk for TTTS and would have to be monitored closely for growth. They wanted to see me again in 4 weeks for another growth scan/cervical length check.

At 27 weeks the perinatologist put me on modified bed rest due to cervical shortening. Growth scan was good. Another appointment in 2 weeks.
At 30 weeks my cervical length was worse and I was put on strict bed rest. (Not easy with a 3 year old and 2 year old at home. This would’ve been SO much harder if we hadn’t had so much help from our family!) Girls were still looking great and measuring right on track.

At 33 weeks I had my last peri appointment. Girls were still looking great and I was told that bed rest could end at 34 weeks. At this point, as it had been for many weeks, Hazel was presenting vertex and Lucy was breech.
We were so relieved when 35 weeks rolled around. That was our first goal, and we made it! We could now deliver with our doctor at our hospital. Praise God! Then the weeks kept ticking by and it seemed like they were never going to come out. I was so big and so uncomfortable. I knew that the longer they waited to be on the outside, the better, but it was hard.

Since Dr. Longenecker is a Family Practice doc, there has to be an OB on call at the hospital during a birth “just in case”. I met with that OB, Dr. Meyer, to discuss our upcoming birth with him. He was supportive of a breech vaginal birth so long as everything was going smoothly with Lucy’s heart rate, etc.

I was doing non-stress tests twice a week and Hazel and Lucy kept passing with flying colors. At 38 weeks, we had another ultrasound and everything was still looking great. Dr. Longenecker and Dr. Hardesty said they're not totally comfortable with letting twins go much past 39 weeks (growth restrictions, etc). I told them the thought of pitocin scared me and I wanted to think about things before I agreed to a date.

I had an appointment Thursday morning, October 25th (38 weeks 3 days) and Dr. Hardesty stripped my membranes. She said I was a good 4 cm. I came home and did the castor oil thing afterwards (I did this with Sophia and it worked like a charm). The induction date was set for October 30 and I was praying they came on their own before that.

I started having contractions every 5 minutes or so along with lots of diarrhea (thank you, castor oil!) They would start and stop throughout the afternoon and evening, but weren’t what I’d call “serious” labor, I didn’t really have to focus to get through them. When Kevin and I went to bed that night, I lay there and started to cry. I told him I felt like the entire afternoon was a big joke, that labor was never going to start, that I’d be pregnant forever, and have to be induced.

At 11PM, Gabriel came in and said he needed to potty. I took him to the bathroom, tucked him back in, and went back to bed. At 12AM I woke up to a contraction that took my breath away. I nearly bolted (hahah…not really, at my size) out of bed and headed for the bathroom. I sat on the toilet moaning and groaning, feeling like I had to poop but couldn’t. Then it was over, so I sat there and waited. Two and a half minutes later another hit and it was just as bad as the first one. I was out of my mind, confused, and didn’t really think it was labor but I knew it HURT. I undressed, got into the tub on my knees, and held the shower head directly on my belly and moaned through a few more contractions. I’m still not sure what to think so I go wake up Kevin. I tell him, “It feels like the end did with Sophia!” I was feeling tons of pressure and started crying, asking him, “Why did I want to do this? Why did I think I could handle this again?” He smartly said that it was time to head to the hospital. He called his mom and I threw on some clothes and stuffed the last minute items into my hospital bag. I went to the living room and sat on the birth ball. Contractions were coming steady at 2.5 minutes apart, lasting a minute. I was hanging on Kevin or getting on my hands and knees and rocking to get through them. I called my doula, Jennifer, to tell her it was time and she said she’d meet us there. This was 1:02AM. I also called my good friend, Kendra, to let her know it was time. She reassured me that I could do it when I was saying I didn’t think I could. Kevin’s mom arrived and we were off.

The drive wasn’t as bad as I was expecting and I handled the contractions by squeezing Kevin’s hand and breathing. We pulled into the hospital parking lot at 1:45AM and Jennifer helped me out of the van while Kevin grabbed our things. Thankfully, when Jennifer arrived (before us) she thought we were already there so she went up to the birth center. They told her we weren’t there, she told them we were on our way and they began getting the room set up and calling Dr. Longenecker and Dr. Hardesty. (It was a full moon and they were busy and short staffed, so they were thankful for the early notice that we were on our way.)

When we got up to the birth center, I was thrilled to see Lisa was my nurse. She was the nurse I had when Gabriel was born, and is also a good friend of one of Kevin’s aunts. She handed me my gown and Kevin helped me into the bathroom. He also pretty much undressed and dressed me because I was focusing so hard to get through the contractions. We came out and Lisa said she wanted to check me and hook up the monitors. She checked me and said, “You’re complete!” She also mentioned that she didn’t feel any water and I told her I thought it broke at home. I never had a big gush, pop, or anything else; just a little extra fluid on my pantiliner when the contractions started at midnight. She got the litmus paper and determined that my water was indeed, broke.

Things really got moving then, the IV was started, monitors hooked up, Dr.’s arriving and asking if they had time to change or did I need to push. I was content to hang out for as long as possible before pushing, I dread pushing. So we all chatted between contractions. Dr. Longencker told Kevin that if there had only been one baby in there, we would’ve never made it to the hospital. He said that pushing Hazel out would be different than pushing out one baby because they kind of get hung up on each other. I voiced my disapproval at that remark and reminded them, yet again, how much I hate pushing. Sometime around this point, Dr. Meyer (OBGYN) arrives and wheels in the ultrasound machine. This is so he can check Lucy’s position after Hazel is born. He asked if I was committed to avoiding a cesarean and wanted to deliver the second baby breech. Yes. I asked him if I did end up with a cesarean about how he would stitch me up (double or single) and he pissed me off by saying, “It doesn’t matter. We don’t have a vbac policy here anyway.” I already knew this and couldn’t argue because it was time to push.

I think I started pushing around 2:15 or so. I’m roaring and Hazel Grace was born at 2:53AM weighing 6 lbs 12 oz, 19.5 inches long. She was born with her arm up by her face, which explains why she was a bit harder to get out (and why her water didn’t gush until I was pushing, it was like a cork). She was gorgeous and covered in vernix. I didn’t get to hold her at all, they took her right over to the warming table (Kevin followed, Jennifer stayed with me) and it was time to figure out what Lucy was up to in there. Dr. Meyer turned on the ultrasound and Lucy was transverse. He tried to turn her externally (and it HURT!) but she wouldn’t budge. Dr. Longenecker said to wait and see what she did on her own with the next few contractions. She turned footling breech in 2-3 contractions (that HURT, too!) Dr. Meyer asked me if I was sure I wanted to deliver her breech. I said yes. Dr. Meyer asks Dr. Longenecker if he wants to do it or wants him too, Dr. Longenecker says he’s confident and will do it. I’m told that once I start pushing I cannot stop, she has to come out quickly due to the risk of cord prolapse. I start pushing with the next contraction as Dr. Longenecker grabs Lucy’s foot. Her water breaks all over him and her other foot slips out. He’s holding her by both feet and I’m pushing with everything I’ve got (and really, really roaring). I was so tired by this point and thought that pushing the second baby out would be much easier than pushing out the first. Not so much. Finally, Lucy Marie is born at 3:07AM weighing 7lbs 12oz, 20 inches. She, too, is taken to the warming table right away.

Kevin hangs out with the girls and takes pictures while Dr. Hardesty and Dr. Longenecker wait around on the enormous placenta. It’s delivered at 3:13AM fully intact and HUGE! They check me for tears—all clear! This thrills me as I tore both previous times.

After everyone is looked over and cleaned up, they’re brought to me and they nurse for the first time. Dr. Longenecker comes in a few hours later and asks if I got any sleep. I tell him no and asked if he did. He said he was too excited from the birth to sleep. He went on to tell me what a fantastic job I did. He also said it was a good thing Dr. Meyer (the OB) didn’t know that Lucy was a whole pound bigger than Hazel or else he would’ve never let me birth her vaginally. Dr. Hardesty came in and echoed how excited she was and how wonderful I did. She said it was the first breech birth at the hospital in about 8 years.

Welcome Hazel and Lucy!

Catholic Homeschooling mama to DS (6), DD (4), twin DDs (2), DD (7 months), and someone new 7/31/10!
#2 of 17 Old 11-03-2007, 09:55 PM

What a great birth story! Good for you

Janel ~ wife and mother of 4, L&D RN, midwifery student
#3 of 17 Old 11-03-2007, 11:29 PM

Great story! I love how you stuck with it and insisted on delivering Lucy vaginally. Go you
#4 of 17 Old 11-04-2007, 04:30 AM

Way to go mama, beautiful story!!

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#5 of 17 Old 11-04-2007, 09:43 AM

Great story! Congrats!!

First breech in 8 years..that's just awesome.

Rochelle  chartnew.gifff: /home/simplyrochelle  Wife to Matt; angel1.gif 9/08; angel1.gif 11/12;angel1.gif 6/13;

Every day brings me closer to fulfilling my dreams of becoming a midwife and a mother  

#6 of 17 Old 11-05-2007, 02:04 PM

Congrats!!! You rock!!!

Christine - mama to my 4 boys
#7 of 17 Old 11-06-2007, 05:21 PM

Your babies are absolutely beautiful! Your story made me cry with joy. I am so happy for you and your family.

Rachel - Married to my Best friend & Mama to Quinn Patrick 7/18/08 - Mama to : Clover too
#8 of 17 Old 11-07-2007, 04:46 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Awesome! Congratulations! Welcome Lucy & Hazel!

Mommy to THREE sweet boys & ONE sweet girl + a newb due in February!  I need a nap. 
#9 of 17 Old 11-07-2007, 11:49 PM

What a fantastic story!!! Congratulations !

Mama to M (7/05) and S (5/08) my surprise !!!
#10 of 17 Old 11-08-2007, 12:16 PM

That is an awesome story! I had to read it because when I saw the names I was surprised. DH and I have always said if we have twin girls they will be called lucy and hazel. What a coincedence!

Busy mama to 4 boys, M 9/04, E 4/06, our angel baby N (passed 10/09 at 1 day old) & newbie C, 12/10
#11 of 17 Old 11-11-2007, 06:23 PM

Congratulations!

Wife of one and mom of five, including my HBAC twins!
#12 of 17 Old 11-16-2007, 04:15 PM

Lindsey, I thought of your description of roaring while I was in labor and definitely roared through my labor also. Thanks for your story!
#13 of 17 Old 11-16-2007, 04:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
that is a beautiful story! so inspiring. i got goose bumps reading it.
#14 of 17 Old 11-17-2007, 02:56 PM

Wow, beautiful. Thanks for sharing
#15 of 17 Old 11-20-2007, 08:22 PM

What a lovely story! thank you for sharing. I especially love the first picture of the girls together - they look so similar with their mouths open the same!
#16 of 17 Old 11-25-2007, 01:35 PM

WOW! That was amazing to read. Congratulations to the whole family.

Married 6/16/01 ~ WOHM to DS1 4/29/06 and DS2 2/13/08 ~  ALMOST an RVT ~ dog2.gif dog2.gif goldfish.gif

#17 of 17 Old 11-25-2007, 01:50 PM

Wow!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page