The UC of Shana Marie at 42 weeks - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-17-2008, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
On January 15th I was having mild to moderate contractions last night at around 8 and 9 pm which I figured would fizzle out like they had been doing. I was feeling very down because I promised my mom and Scott (DH) that I would go to L&D today to get checked out if Shana wasn't here...and I really thought she wouldn't be. So, I went to bed at around 10 and woke up at midnight with wetness between my legs. My water was leaking!!

I woke Scott up to let him know and he said, "Is she coming now?" I told him that it would be awhile and to go ahead and go back to sleep. The contractions soon became impossible to sleep through so I went to watch TV in the living room. At about 12:45 am the contractions were bad enough that I didn't want to be alone anymore so I woke Scott up and he came and sat with me. He called my mom around 1-ish and she was here by about 1:20 or so.

The contractions started getting really bad (at which point I told my mom I knew I was in transition) around 2 am and I was vocalizing very loudly. This woke Aaron (DS) up and he came out into the living room. I was worried that my moaning and groaning would scare him but he just seemed curious. He sat with Scott and watched his Diego dvd since he wouldn't go back to sleep with all the excitement in the air.

My mom started timing my contractions and they were about 2 minutes apart but would come 2 or 3 on top of each other before I would get that 2 minute break. I remember chanting, "Break, break, break...." to try to make the peak of the contraction "break" like a wave on the beach. I had horrible back labor and pain in my legs. The back labor caused me to think Shana was posterior (turns out she wasn't, though).

My mom and Scott traded spots for a minute and Scott asked me if I wanted him to get the stuff ready on the floor (plastic sheet, chux pads) and I tried to answer him in the middle of a contraction and it came out like a loud, "YEEESSSS!!!" even though I didn't mean to sound so desperate. lol He jumped up, ran into the coffee table trying to move it. When my contraction was over I said, "Why are you acting all crazy?" He said, "Because I thought she was coming NOW!"

A few more contractions and I felt the need to get on the floor. I was on my knees with my head on the couch and I felt the urge to push. With the first push I felt something bulging out of me and initially thought it was Shana's head. I reached down to feel and realized it was too squishy. Another little push and my bag of waters burst and gushed out everywhere. Scott is very squeamish so at this point he took Aaron in the other room to play with toys. My mom did an awesome job coaching me through everything.

Shana started to move down and within 15 minutes her head was out. My mom helped her turn a little and after 2 more pushes her shoulders were through and she slid out. She didn't cry right away but just kind of looked around. After my mom suctioned her mouth she started to cry a little. I tried to nurse her right away but she wouldn't so I just held her until the placenta was birthed about 30 minutes later, then we cut the cord. She weighed 9 lbs 12 oz and was 18 inches long. After this she was ready to nurse and man, did she nurse like a pro!! Thank God, because if she hadn't I wouldn't have known what to do. We've had no problems with BF'ing so that's a huge relief.

After she was born Scott and Aaron came back in and Aaron was very curious to know what all the fuss was about. He was very helpful and kept bringing me paper towels to clean myself up. We didn't get any pictures of the actual birth but these are from immediately after:

Shana, my mom and I
My mom suctioning
Aaron and Shana with grandma
Shana, Aaron and I
Nursing for the first time

Later that day:
Big brother holds little sister for the first time
Daddy and Shana
Mommy and Shana
Chunky Monkey

Mama to DS (3/7/06)om.gif, DSD  hearts.gif(11/17/02), DD (1/16/08 )energy.gif ,  DS2 (5/30/10) sleepytime.gif and Baby Quinn angel.gif (R.I.P 3/22/13)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 01-17-2008, 01:39 PM

Beautiful baby and great story mama!

Mom of many minions . . . babyf.gif jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif
"And when our baby stirs and struggles to be born it compels humility: what we began is now its own." Margaret Mead 
#3 of 7 Old 01-17-2008, 02:07 PM

Congratulations! Your baby girl is beautiful.

knit.gifMama to reading.gif  and  babygirl.gif
#4 of 7 Old 01-17-2008, 02:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
What a big girl! She is so perfect! Congrats on an awesome birth and not having to go to L&D!

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#5 of 7 Old 01-19-2008, 12:03 PM

What a great story and a beautiful big girl - any idea how much she weighed? Congrats to you and your family!

: totally blessed mother of 2
#6 of 7 Old 01-19-2008, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by junestars View Post
What a great story and a beautiful big girl - any idea how much she weighed? Congrats to you and your family!
9 lbs 12 oz and 18 in long.

Mama to DS (3/7/06)om.gif, DSD  hearts.gif(11/17/02), DD (1/16/08 )energy.gif ,  DS2 (5/30/10) sleepytime.gif and Baby Quinn angel.gif (R.I.P 3/22/13)

#7 of 7 Old 01-21-2008, 06:46 PM

what a chubby little one!! congrats!

Cheryl, proud mama to Jackson... and a baby on the way!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page