Lilah Winter is here :) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-23-2008, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A bit late ladies, sorry!

Lilah Winter joined us at on April 14th, at 8:21pm. Almost two full weeks passed her due date! She was 8 pounds 3 oz, 20 inches long. One oz bigger then her brother, which i was told was " too big to push out" at the time. haha, no CPD for me!

We had a wonderful UP, but in the end did not get our UC. Not because anything was wrong, but because I did not handle transition well. As a result, she was almost born in the car and would have been had I went with my body instead of fighting it.

I had a wonderful labor. After weeks of stop start.. contractions started to be timeable around 2pm. They were around every 20 minutes. I called my husband home as even 20 minutes apart, I was having a hard time getting through them with our toddler climbing all over me. By the time he came home an hour later, they were about 10 minutes apart. I posted to my due date group to see if this was it, and for suggestions as I was really struggling to get ontop of them. During this time, my toddler took a nap. I labored alone, bouncing on my birth ball. Doing lots of visualizations, listening to music. I then decided to call my mom to pick up my son. My contractions went from 5 minutes apart to 2 minutes by the time she came to the house. I didn't tell her, she would have freaked out. I didn't even get to kiss my baby good-bye.

Thats when I realized I was really in labor. They were also lasting about 1 and half long. We tried to fill up the birth pool, but couldn't find the wrench to screw off the top of the faucet. I tried to fill a stock pot and fill it that way.. Which lasted all of one contraction. my contractions went to a minute apart, lasting about as long.

My husband dumped me into a hot shower.. which help between but nothing for the actual contractions. After some time, we moved back to the bedroom. The pain was intense.. I was not handling them well at all. I declared that I didn't want to be pregnant, I didn't want to push this baby out today.. All signs that it was transition and would be over soon. I had no idea in transition how serious you take yourself..

Even though I knew it was a bad idea, we decided to head to the hospital. I needed to move. Being outside was a huge relief . I had my head out the window like a dog most of the way.

When we got there, I was about 10Cms. My body was trying to push. I was stopping my body from pushing out of sheer fear. It was SO powerful. So overwelming. I was afraid once it started that I would be unable to stop it.
Hello! Thats the point!

Once I got there, I was asked a million questions. Mostly by registeration. They had me on my back to "check" me, I about screamed. Then the nurse wanted another opinion, so I was checked again. I wanted some water, and was told "no" by the nurses, who kept an eye on my husabnd to make sure he didn't give it to me.

The hospital we went to was not VBAC friendly. When they found out I was a VBAC their first response was "ut oh". They called back a doctor who had just left, who "agreed" to do it.

She found out my water had not broken, and wanted to break it. I was very adamant that she NOT break it. I wanted her born in the caul. The doctor didn't listen and broke it anyway, because she wanted it over with. There was no stopping pushing at that point. During the pushes, I screamed like a lioness. Which felt great. No one told me to shush, no one told me to save my breath. I pushed with my body, not when I was "told". I got a rest between my contractions which was so beautiful. With my first because of the pit, I had no rest between. This was the way that nature intended.

I have to sy though, the most painful point was probably the doctors fingers in my vagina. I was screaming at her to take them out, but she insisted it made me a better pusher. These were all reason I had choosen to UC to start with, I knew I was signing up for this... but the rational part of my brain would not be reached at the time we made the decision to go. I believed when I got there, they wouldnt do these things to me.. even though I KNEW they would.

During the first push, my husband heard the doctor tell the nurses to prep a table. I pushed with my body twice, and there she was. First her head, then her shoulders. Which did not hurt nearly as bad as I thought.

It was great. It was a high; . It didnt last long. The doctor insisted on trying to yank my placenta out. A few times she stopped with "its not ready". GEE, ou THINK? Can you wait like 10 minutes?! Since she had been called back into work, she wanted to go home.

She ended up manually taking it out, to which I ended up screaming. It hurt worse than labor. I was told to push when there was no urge to push. It was horrible. I also found out I had a tear, 2nd degree from having my legs pushed up by my ears. I didn't want her to touch it, but I was sowed up anyway.

My daughter was given the eye drops without my consent, and the vitamen k. I tried for the drops, but they told me they didnt do them there.. and not having Vit K was not an option, it was state law. I think this is a bunch of BS, but at the time I was not about to get into a fight with social services over it.

I was also told that we would not be released until 24 hours, because they wanted to make sure that the PKU was done. They kept us longer for bogus reasons.. (my supposed "elevated white count" whic no one mentioned after that), then, they wanted results on my hep B status. Because I had not talked to my shadow care provider, they were testing me all over again. And would not release my daughter until the tests were back. Which took longer than the 24 hours they promised. The ped also didnt want to release her because she lost 8 percent of her body weight.. Even though she had 6 wet, and 5 dirty diapers in that time.

She wanted me to supplement, and I told her no flat out. Which shocked her. Her diaper count was fine, she was nursing constantly, babies can lose up to 10 percent.. what was the problem? The LC even came by to tell me that she supported my decision, and to call her with any concerns. In the morning whn I was told the test results would be back, they werent. The ped told the nurse to tell me they wouldnt be back until the afternoon, and there was nothing I could do about that. They also wanted that time to "observe" her feeding.

Luckily I got on the horn to my shadow care provider, she faxed over my records and my status. Twice. I had to hound the nurses like you would not believe, but within an hour we were released.

I do regret not having our UC. But I am SO grateful that I choose to UP. That I choose to labor at home unhindered. It allowed us to be responsible for our own care, for our daughter.

Had everyone else had their way, I would have been induced on the 6th for no reason and who knows if that would have lead to another c-section. She wasn't ready to be born then. She came in her own time, naturally. We weren't ever seperated for any reason. She also never got a bath.. She never smelled like commerical johnson and johnson.. just like a baby should. Like birth.

Our pregnancy was a thing of peace, and so was almost all of the labor. I am so grateful for what UP/UC has given us.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2008, 01:00 PM

Congratulations on your little girl! I love her name I'm sorry transition was really rough and you experienced what you did at the hospital I'm happy to read you got your VBAC, wtg!
Old 04-23-2008, 01:04 PM

Welcome Lilah!!
Old 04-23-2008, 01:05 PM

Thank you for sharing. Congratulations!
Old 04-23-2008, 03:21 PM

Welcome Lilah Winter!!!

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

Old 04-23-2008, 03:31 PM
Banned

congratulations!

i'm glad that you were able to get your vbac! that's excellent.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:13 PM

oh her name is beautiful! lilah is one of my favourites and i really like winter as well. : lilah winter! welcome!

congrats on your VBAC mama!
Old 04-23-2008, 08:55 PM

I'm sorry you didn't get your UC, but congrats on the VBAC!!!

Sunny coolshine.gif: gun toting, retired breastfeeding, car seat loving, guitar playing, home birthing and schooling mama to Jakob (10.06), Mikah (07.08) and Korah (07.11). uc.jpg 

Old 04-23-2008, 09:11 PM

Congratulations, welcome little Lilah!
Old 04-23-2008, 11:12 PM

Congrats!!
Old 04-24-2008, 04:10 AM

Congratulations!

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
Old 04-24-2008, 05:38 AM

Congratulations!
Old 04-24-2008, 10:49 AM

Congratulations on your baby girl and your vbac!!!!
Old 04-24-2008, 12:39 PM

Congrats and Welcome Lilah!

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
Old 04-24-2008, 02:34 PM

Congratulations!!
Old 04-24-2008, 09:44 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Love the name too, as "Winter" is dear to my heart and Lilah is so pretty! Congrats and happy babymooning.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:16 AM

Congratulations on your VBAC!!
Old 05-07-2008, 11:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Great birth story! I want a VBAC- your story inspires me even more!! congratulations!!!

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

Old 05-08-2008, 11:26 AM

Congratulations on your baby girl and your VBAC. Way to go mama!!!

Jaclyn, Madly in with DH, Scott. Mama to Calli Elizabeth (23 months) & our new little man, Bode Keam (9 weeks).
Old 05-08-2008, 05:53 PM

Moving to Birth Stories now

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

Old 05-09-2008, 04:33 AM

Yaaaay! Congratulations!

I hear you. I didn't take my transition well either and it lasted for five hours! I went crazy, I think. I even said that I didn't want my baby anymore and that if God would take it all away, I'd change my religion and become a Christian. I wanted to go to the hospital and get my epidural but I was able to actually tell myself that even if I went, they wouldn't give me an epi because I was too far along.

Then, when it was over, I was like "oh, hey. I did it after all! "

You did a great job, mama! Congratulations again!

Mama to a bright 5 y/o girl dust.gif and a beautiful boy born 03/10/12 fly-by-nursing1.gif Loving unschooling, 2xuc.jpgfamilybed2.gif ecbaby2.gifand natural living in Hawaii.rainbow1284.gif
Old 05-12-2008, 02:51 PM

Congratulations... I'm so glad that it all worked out in the end!!! Welcome Lilah!!!

User Tag List