1 year later -- Savannah - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1 Old 05-03-2008, 12:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Ok, a little more than a year)
This is the short version. But I've been meaning to do this for so long, I can't gripe about leaving out details. I'm just gonna get it written down.

Monday was checkup day at 38.5 weeks and our midwife measured me and felt the baby's head way down and in position and felt the body and gave us her educated guess about weight -- no bigger than seven pounds. And she guessed we had AT LEAST a week left. I was dilated to 1 cm for about 3 weeks and my mucus plug was gone for at least a week. The night before (Sun. pm), the baby had turned her head, forcefully and painfully, WHILE down in the pelvic bones. Monday night she turned her head back the other direction... I think that's what snagged the sac. It felt like bone on bone, grinding, ew.
The next morning at 5 am, I woke up to pee but felt leaky too. I laid back down to let it "puddle up" to check... Yup I was pretty sure I was leaking slowly. Gave DH a hair cut (lol!) and then went to the hospital. The nurse didn't believe me. Said most women have a couple false alarms and since I only had intermittent contractions she was surprised when the test said it was amniotic fluid. (btw, I only went in so early because we live more than an hour away from the hospital, I was group B strep +, and I wanted to make sure we saw the midwife on duty )
So, we got a room and the midwife was shocked to see us
We walked about for a couple hours, then I let her snag the amniotic sac bigger to help out. DH, the midwife and I paced the halls for hours more... with ctx increasing in freq., discomfort, and duration. After I while, when I had to stop walking (in discomfort/to concentrate) I started laboring in bed. I know what people say -- "no one would CHOOSE to labor laying down" but I tried a ton of positions (I had a GREAT midwife, afterall) and they all made me more uncomfortable. The midwife sensed (I sure didn't realize it at the time) that I was getting overwhelmed and just told me to pick what felt right. She let me take the baby heart monitor off and I felt sooo much better, just naked. So reclined on my back, concentrating my breathing and squeezing DH's hand through ctx. I felt exhausted, so believe it or not, I slept in between contractions. During broad daylight! Nearing transition, things were tougher. Not what I'd call painful, but almost overwhelming. I was getting double and triple peaked -- like LONG-feeling -- contractions and I moved to the tub. Still sleeping between contractions, I stayed there 40 mins or so. To the point where I started pushing a little in the tub. The midwife told me afterwards that the nurses were teasing her about how she would get in trouble for doing the first (illegal) hospital water birth if she didn't move me soon. Back in bed, I felt the urge to push but it took longer than I thought it would. I think I pushed for almost an hour and a half. DH cut the cord and took a couple pictures before the camera died (did we really forget extra batteries?!) I labored on Tuesday and Savannah was born on Wednesday April 25th 2007 at 12:15am. She was 6 lbs and 0 oz. And just perfect... Tiny and pinkish purple with LOTS of dark hair and what a cry. Now she's so big by comparison... still my baby but a toddler too

Wife to J. Mama to girly S (4/07), little boy blue E (1/10) and tiny peanut girl due (7/12)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page