Isaac's Birth - Unassisted turned MW assisted, to hospital transfer - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 07-11-2008, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is the short story of Isaac's birth.

I had planned an unassisted, but I had hired a MW in case I felt I needed one.

I woke up on saturday, June 28th and I couldn't go back to sleep. I felt a little crampy, and I thought I might be in labor, but I didn't say anything. Within an hour, I was having actul contractions, and I knew I was in labor. I told Dustin, and we decided to not change any plans for the day just yet. My brother and his wife took Elaina and us to go see Wall-E (great movie by the way!!) I was okay, except a couple times I was laughing and a contraction hit. (that was interesting!! :-[)
The contractions were completely irregular, and not very strong at all.
They got more intense as the day wore on, and we had some friends over. I didn’t really feel much like eating at all, so I didn’t (I really regret that now). By about 7:00pm on Saturday, The contractions were not horribly bad, but my back was really hurting with each contraction. I decided to go into my room, and try to breathe, and relax through the contractions. (My back had been out down near my tail bone for the last 2-3 months. I had seen chiropractors, but it kept going out again. We just didn’t have the money to pay $30-$45 for a visit each week. I was kind of used to my back hurting.)
Dustin leaned against the wall on the floor, and I laid between his legs and leaned up against him. We stayed like that for an hour or so, but my back was hurting more and more. I had to sit on the edge of the bed. I started to have to really focus and breathe through the contractions. It seemed weird to me, because with Elaina, I didn’t have to focus this early on, but this time, my back was causing me problems.
Dustin stayed with me through the night. I ended up on a folding chair in the master bathroom, because it was the only place that I could sit and stand the back pain. Dustin tried counter pressure on my back, but he wasn’t really doing it right, and I was having a hard time explaining to him how I needed it done. I was tired, but excited when the morning came. The contractions seemed to slow, and they got farther apart. I thought maybe labor was stopping. After an hour or so, it started to pick back up, all day it was 4-5 hours of labor intensifying, and then easing off for an hour or so. It was like 4 steps forward and 3 back. The contractions were never really “regular” I would have 3 shorter less intense contractions right on top of each other, and then I would have a long pause, and a really strong, long contraction. I felt like in the end, it kind of evened out, you know, like maybe 3 small = 1 really big one you know? By that night I was feeling pretty discouraged, and I was not looking forward to another night of labor.
I was very constipated, and I could feel some nasty pressure in my colon with the contractions. I tried to go potty, but nothing would come out.
Sometime in the night, there was a shift, and my bladder suddenly had WAY more capacity than it had had the whole pregnancy (at first I thought my water had broken) After that I had to pee every 3-4 contractions. (I was drinking lots and lots of water).
In the morning, I asked my mom to come over, and give me an enema, she did, and I was able to get the pressure off my colon.
Dustin and I had decided not to call the MW until the baby was born, and we still weren’t sure what was happening, because the contractions picked up in intensity, and they got closer together, but they still weren’t regular, and they kept stopping and starting. My MW called, and asked me why I hadn’t come to my appointment. I realized that it was Monday, I didn’t want her to come yet, I told her about the contractions I was having, and she didn’t seem concerned yet. (That discouraged me even more) She told me to come and visit her the next morning for a check. ( I think I kind of downplayed the contractions so she wouldn’t come yet)
My mom had told me to let Dustin sleep, because I had a long way to go yet. I labored alone in the bathroom with the light out most of Monday, and slept sitting up between contractions. I was exhausted, and I couldn’t eat. I threw up everything I ate, and nothing sounded good anyway.
My mom had showed Dustin and I the best way to apply counter pressure, and I found a couple of Elaina’s bouncy balls, and when Dustin wasn’t there, I leaned up against them and kinda rolled against the back of the chair, it helped.
All day Sunday, Sunday night, and Monday kind of blend together in my mind. On Monday morning (I think) I started to get really bad pressure on my back with each contraction. I was having a hard time focusing, and I thought that the pressure might be the beginning of the “pushing urge” I don’t exactly remember all of the reasons, but over the course of Sunday, and Monday, I thought 3 different times that I was nearing transition, and I was nowhere near the end.
Late Monday afternoon, my water broke, and the contractions really picked up. (I think that was when I actually went into “active labor”) There was a gush of fluid with every contraction for about 2 hours. Then it mostly slowed to a drip, the contractions became incredibly intense, and the pressure on my back was almost unbearable. I could actually feel my hips widening, and my tail bone being pressed back with each contraction. It hurt so badly!! Again, I though “yay!! The end is near!” but I was wrong. Things slowed again in the evening, and I got dressed and went to the living room. I tried to sit in the recliner, and watch some TV, but even though the intensity had slowed, I still couldn’t bear the contractions anywhere but in that stupid folding chair in the bathroom, so I quickly went back to it. Even when things slowed, and lost intensity, the back pain never eased off, it would pick up with the contractions, and even when they slowed, it continued to rise in intensity and pressure. I still don’t know how I made it through Monday night. I woke up and I called my mom and my MW, and asked them to come. ( I really felt I needed help at this point) My MW was still not really worried, and took over 2 hours to come. My mom came right over, and helped me to focus on Dustin during the contractions, and moan through them. My mom cleaned my bathroom, and while I focused on Dustin, I had the most intense contractions I had had yet, and the back pain really wasn’t as bad as it was going to get.
My mom used to be an L&D nurse, and she said that she was sure I was at an 8 or 9 cm dilation. I was having a really strong contraction (at this point they really were regular, they were 90-120 seconds long, and 2 minutes apart, right on top of each other) I still wonder what happened during those two hours.
Th MW walked in during a really intense contraction, and....It. Just. Stopped. Mid-contraction, it completely stopped. She checked me, and I was 4 cm dilated. She said that the longest part of labor was getting from 0-4 cm. Labor never really picked up for several hours. The back pain however, did. She checked me again, and when I was still at 4, she had me take some herbal tincture, and asked me what the most painful position was for contractions. I said laying on my side, so she had me do that, and asked me to relax during the contractions. It was the hardest thing I have ever done. I tried so hard to relax, and I did the best I could, but when those contractions hit, I wanted to die. My back had no relief. Dustin couldn’t give me enough counter pressure, and I just wanted my chair so so badly!!She had me lay on my side for an hour, and finally I just got up, I couldn’t do it anymore. She showed Dustin how to do nipple stimulation, and had me sit on the toilet (one of the other really tough positions for me) I was able to relax through contractions, and after about an hour and a half (I was ready to tear Dustin’s face off if he tried to touch my nipples again) I needed a break, and labor had slowed again anyway. The MW checked me, and I was 6.5 cm dilated (Yay!!) The MW convinced me to go for a walk, and I went to the mailbox across the apartment complex with Dustin and my mom. After a couple hours, I was still at 6.5, so the MW wanted me to do more nipple stimulation, and she gave me black and blue cohosh. I can’t remember all of what happened, but she kept asking me to get into uncomfortable positions, and I was so tired, my back was killing me, and I was having a really hard time focusing and relaxing through contractions. I felt so completely done. I didn’t want to do it anymore. I was exhausted, frustrated, and I was beginning to think that Isaac would never come out. The MW had me squat (that killed my back so bad!!) I was screaming through contractions at that point. I started to leak meconium. I was so scared she was going to send me to the hospital. It was a few more hours, and honestly I really don’t remember much of what happened. I was not in my right mind. I was in agony (My entire existence consisted of excruciating pain in my back, and I wanted it over) I still don’t know why the decision to go to the hospital was made, I do know that my MW checked me and said I was still at 6.5.
We left about 12:30am Wednesday morning.
Dustin, I and my SIL all got in our car, the MW called ahead to the hospital, and my mom took hers. I was just screaming uncontrollably through each contraction. When we got there my MW suggested I have some fentenol to help with the pain, and I readily agreed. It really helped. The OB came in, and checked me, she said I was still at 6, and that I needed a c-section. My MW asked if I could have an epidural, and try to dilate some more, the Ob said I couldn’t. She said I had to have C-section. I said I wanted to wait for my mom (she drives slow, and had gotten lost, so hadn’t arrived yet)The OB got really mad, and said I had to have a c-section NOW!! I asked if my baby was okay, and they said he was fine, but the OB kept insisting that I sign the form right then, and that I could not wait for my mom. I never thought to ask why. All I knew was that I was in a lot of pain, the OB wouldn’t let me have an epidural, my baby was fine, but that OB wanted a c-section immediately.
My mom got there, and there was a bunch of chaos, the fentenol was starting to wear off, and they wouldn’t give me anymore. I was going back into agonizing pain. I went to the bathroom, and there was a bunch of blood, (it looked just like bloody show). Dustin and thought about what to do, and he thought I should get my dilation checked again. I was in so much pain, and I just wanted it over. My thought process at that point was that the OB wasn’t going to let me have a vaginal birth anyway, and it really didn’t matter anyway, I could have a c-section now, (and end the pain) or have it later. I never really thought that it wasn’t an option. By that time the fentenol had completely worn off, I was screaming like a banshee again, and I just wanted the pain to end. I was actually looking forward to it, to the end of the pain. I agreed, and I had the c-section.

I’m still not sure how I feel about everything. We are not sure (The OB told me one thing and my MW something else) but we think Isaac was posterior. The OB needed to use vacuum extraction to get Isaac out, it means one of two things.....either he was really wedged in my pelvis, (which explains the slow going and the huge amount of pain) or he was already coming out, and I was more dilated than the OB had said (which would explain why the OB was in such a hurry to do the c-section - she didn’t want me to give birth vaginally) I suppose both could be true.
When I looked at Isaac’s head his cone shaping was not on the top of his head, it was half way between the top, and his right ear. The MW told me that his head was cocked to one side as he was trying to come out.
I still need to get my medical records, and I will be getting x-rays of my back at the chiropractor next week. I have scoliosis (bent spine) and I already know that my back was really out of alignment the last part of my pregnancy. We know his head was cocked to one side, and if he was posterior too, it is possible that he was actually stuck, and couldn’t come out, or that it would have taken a couple more days. (Which I couldn’t do) It is also possible that he was on his way out, and the uncontrollable screaming could have been transition. I wish I knew. I’m a little disappointed, but I am proud that I made it through 77 hours of back labor. (Yay!!)
Isaac was never in trouble, the MW was checking his HR every 15 min., and when they took out the placenta it was so green, they said that he had to have pooped at least a week before in order to have that level of green soaking in.

I am recovering well, and in fact when my ibuprophen wears off the only thing that hurts is my poor back. (I can’t wait to get the chiropractor!)
#2 of 9 Old 07-11-2008, 10:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Wow. What a harrowing few days! Sorry you had back labor, but congrats for going so long with it!

Hope you get your feelings sorted out over your birth experience so you can start healing and (or just go straight to) enjoy your babymoon! Sounds like you did what was best for you. Weird about the doctor's pushing for a cesarean with no explanation, though.

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#3 of 9 Old 07-12-2008, 12:08 AM

Oh, I feel your pain. I had back labor with my first child and it was horrible. Her labor was only 8 1/2 hours from first contraction to birth... I cannot imagine going any longer with that back pain. I still had twinges in my back for about 6 mos afterwards. Hope you are feeling 100% soon.

Beth
#4 of 9 Old 07-14-2008, 05:07 AM

Kungfumoose, that just sounds terribly terribly harrowing.

The word you're looking for is "asynclitic", the position where their head is tipped to one side. And it often gets them stuck. I know there are threads here about it

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...ght=asynclitic
#5 of 9 Old 07-15-2008, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabe View Post
Kungfumoose, that just sounds terribly terribly harrowing.

The word you're looking for is "asynclitic", the position where their head is tipped to one side. And it often gets them stuck. I know there are threads here about it

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...ght=asynclitic
Wow. Thank you. I just read a whole lot of info on this, and I feel that my labor was very textbook for an asynclitic presentation. I actually feel a lot better, and I do believe that he really was stuck.
I guess I'll be seeing a chiropractor, and working on my posture so that I can have a VBAC next time. Thanks for the info!!
#6 of 9 Old 07-17-2008, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kungfumoose View Post
Wow. Thank you. I just read a whole lot of info on this, and I feel that my labor was very textbook for an asynclitic presentation. I actually feel a lot better, and I do believe that he really was stuck.
I guess I'll be seeing a chiropractor, and working on my posture so that I can have a VBAC next time. Thanks for the info!!
I'm glad it helped. It helped me to read about it, too.
#7 of 9 Old 08-07-2008, 04:07 AM

wow--what an ordeal! You are very brave and determined to keep going through 5 DAYs of labor and so much pain. It sounds like your little one really was quite stuck. Mine was posterior and after 4 days of labor and 24+ hours fully dilated and pushing I had an emergency c-section--I know what you mean about how things get kind of fuzzy trying to remember what happened after the first day or so. Congratulations on your little boy! I hope that you come to peace with everything that happened.
#8 of 9 Old 08-09-2008, 04:44 PM

Much love and hugs to you momma!
Congrats on your son and I'm so sorry things didn't turn out at all how you hopped.
I hope time brings some healing and you go on to have a beautiful HBAC:
#9 of 9 Old 08-14-2008, 05:48 PM

Wow, your birth story sounds very familiar KungfooMoose. I too had a long and harowing labor at home before beeing transferd to the hospital & ending with a cesarian. I dialated for about two days & then pushed for two whole days. Get your hospital records! This helped me allot with my emotional recovery! My MW had suspected that the cord was hanging the baby up, but of course the doctor's reason was "this baby is just simply too big for your pelvis." I told him that he was full of sh**. But that was his reasoning nonetheless. My MW was patient enough to explain to me that all of my amniotic fluid was gone and that walking into the hospital had caused sphincter law to take effect (from 10cm to 2cm in minutes flat,) and that I really didn't have an option. Anyways, when I got my records, my MW & I sat down & went through the whole thing together. It proved her suspisions right. Baby's cord had been arround her neck close to the placenta, she was essentially on a leash. Aparently I had been pushing on her so hard that the cord had begun to detatch from the placenta. Even though this was the scarryest bit of info in the records, it was also the most reassuring. My body is not a failure, and the c-section did save both our lives. So get your records & go through them with your MW! At least it helped me allot to do so. I know how you feel, my heart goes out to you... ::

Elisha; happy, working, mountain/river/music, single mamma to Charlotte hearts.gif 03/16/08.      http://rivermamma.blogspot.com/

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page