Jaffer Nabils birth story....VBAC!!!!!!!!!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-14-2008, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok...I am going to start my birth story, which I am sure I will have to keep coming back to with 3 kids . Ok I was in Calgary. My OB had told me it was ok to travel as long as I got out and walked around a bit every 2 or 3 hours, which was ok as our car trip would take 3 hours anyway. The day we were supposed to leave for home, I woke up at 4:30 with what I thought was prodomal labor. It went from back to front low down where you would normally get menstrual cramps. I assumed it was prodomal because I timed the contractions at 5, 10, 8, 6 minutes and had read if the timing changed like that it was probably not labor. I went downstairs and went on the computer for an hour and asked you guys what you thought...and most agreed it was prodomal....what do we know . Then I went upstairs and tried to sleep a bit but the contractions woke me up about every 10 minutes which in hindsight should have been a red flag to me. I finally got up around 7:30 and informed my friend what was happening. She thought it was prodomal labor so she decided to go to get the car checked before we left. After she left, the contractions intensified and I decided to phone health link to get an opinion. I didn’t really want to be on the road while in active labor kwim? She advised me to go to hospital as it sounded like labor to her and she was timing me at 5 minutes apart so I decided to get my friend to take me to check it out. I had to wait awhile for her so we ended up going to hospital around 11 am. As we drove, I became certain it was real labor and had a change of heart towards estranged hubby and asked her to phone him. I was waiting in the emergency room but luckily a volunteer realized I was in labor and wheeled me up to L&D where they checked me and it was confirmed I was in labor and 7cm dilated. At that point, I informed the assessment nurse I was a vbac and wanted as natural a birth as possible with any interventions discussed with me first. She listened and informed my nurse what I had told her. I should say at this point I lied to them and told them I had gone into labor at around 11 and not 4:30 because of the "clock" they put you on and especially with a vbac.I agreed to the monitor and was shocked when my nurse told me to stand and walk a bit. I looked at her like she was nuts and asked her "I can stand and walk being a vbac? You aren’t going to argue with me?" She said there was no reason and that she could just hold the monitor during contractions/better for baby to descend etc). She brought out the birthing ball but TBH I didn’t like it and it didnt help me at all (the nurse had to catch me after I almost fell off of it. I decided to use the nitrous oxide as with my previous vbac. It doesn’t help with pain at all but does distract me. So I just walked in circles (I didn’t want to go far) and leaned over the bed rocking with the contractions. I am not sure how many times they checked me but they kept it to a minimum and only checked when I had the urge to push but I was stuck at 8-9 for maybe 2 1/2 hours and my water hadn’t broken yet. With dd2 my water broke at 7 cm. I had the feeling something was wrong because of being stuck and my water not breaking. With dd1, I was in labor a total of 5 ½ hours including pushing. Then the baby’s hb decelerated a couple of times and the nurse freaked out and called in the OB who brought 2 other OBs (and 2 residents..what a party). I decided to let them break my water since I was sooo close to 10 and put an internal monitor because they kept losing baby’s hb. They thought it was ok as long as it didnt happen 4 or more times in a row. They came back around 3ish told me I had 2 choices: I could continue to labor and try different positions to see if I got to 10 or I could get an epidural for a c/s if I was too tired. I was not upset with them since they were not pushing the epidural but were trying to give me options, which is what I had requested of them from the beginning. I told them I would continue to try to dilate (still had lots of time and would not have let them do a c/s for that reason alone anyway) for natural but if baby started to show unmistakable signs of distress, we would discuss options then. The baby’s hb decelerated again and they decided to ask me to get on the bed on my left side and put an oxygen mask to give baby as much oxygen as possible. I freaked because I thought the nurse was giving me gas to knock me out for a c/s but when she explained, I sucked back the oxygen to give him/her as much as possible and lay on my left side which made the contractions hurt more. By that time, hubby was there and helped me alternate between the oxygen and the nitrous oxide. My OB and the standby OBs from surgery came in watching to see what was happening. I think they were watching to monitor and because I was so close to 10 and couldn’t stop myself from pushing. The resident checked me on OBs orders and low and behold, I was finally at 10 so they got me in position to push which was different from dd2. With her, the doula and my husband helped hold my knees back but this time they had me hold my legs back, which was harder. I started pushing at 3:35 and for some reason it hurt this time. I think it hurt because I was in transition so long. What is weird is the standby c/s OBs stayed to watch the birth (there were 3 of them) and when I got to 10 they cheered which was great (my own cheerleaders lol). Ten minutes later, at 3:45 pm Mr. Jaffer Nabil Jalil was born….What was incredible was everyone in the room (well I don’t know about the neonatal people) cheered when I pushed Jaffer out. There were at least 4 or 5 OBs (in total) and 2 nurses and they were all clapping and cheering for me. I had expected a fight from the OBs to have as non-intervention as possible birth and it was sobering for me to realize that they didn’t want to have to do a c/s and were pulling for me the whole time. Anyway, we found out why I was stuck at 8-9 cm for so long. Jaffers umbilical cord was wrapped around his leg, and he couldn’t descend. It also explained his hb going down. They said anything compressing the cord will show up with his heartbeat. After they lifted Jaffer away from me, they immediately put him on my stomach, which made me cry since I was never able to do that with dd1 or dd2. They asked my husband if he wanted to cut the cord and he said no but they didn’t understand him and had him cut it anyway:. What was nice is no one announced if he was a boy or girl and we found out for ourselves. Aqeel saw as he came out and told me but I didn’t hear him. When they put him on my stomach my eyes were drawn to his face, (he looks EXACTLY like his father) and I truly didn’t notice if he was boy or girl until he peed on me. Then I cried at having a healthy baby and it was a nice surprise to have a boy after 2 girls (don’t get me wrong, I love my girls but it is nice to finally have a little man in the house to even things up a little). After his cord was cut, and we had time to admire him, the neonatal team took him over to check him to make sure everything was ok. He was 6lbs 2oz and 9 and 9 on the apgar scale. What surprised me is they didn’t bathe him and only did it after 12 hours alone with me. The nurses wanted us to have skin-to-skin contact for nursing. With dd2, the nurse gave me hell for that. In hindsight, I think it was meant to be that I give birth to my baby in Calgary. I couldn’t have a doula and TBH the nurse I had was incredible and behaved exactly like a doula. She never left my side and encouraged me exactly as my doula with Tamara had done. The hospital was very progressive and mother/baby friendly (Rockyview General Hospital) which surprised me also. I am sure if I had been at home, they would have bugged me for a c/s like they tried to with Tamara (which I would never do barring a true emergency). This time they were very supportive of my vbac and I felt like I was the one in control, with them there to assist if anything went wrong. I had one stupid postpartum nurse but she was prejudiced and it had nothing to do with the birth. There is always has to be at least one nasty nurse. The one who did all the hard work was Jaffer. My husband and the nurse commented on how much my stomach was just heaving with the contractions as the baby tried to turn and move down for birth. It was as if he was bungee jumping….and he was struggling to move down so much and he finally managed to do it with that cord around his leg. He is the little hero here, not me.

One last note: Tamara is definitely not happy having to share num-num with her little brother but today for the first time, she covered the baby with a blanket and said baby and smiled, which made my heart just melt. Yasmeen finally got over the shock and disappointment of not having a baby sister and is always kissing him, but insists his name is not Jaffer. We are going to have to legally change Jaffers name to Sleeping Beauty the Dancer-Bing (the bing is essential at the end).

http://s524.photobucket.com/albums/c...icalynne_2008/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2008, 11:27 PM

I am so glad you had such a great experience! Congrats again on your beautiful baby boy.
Old 08-15-2008, 12:37 AM

Congrats on a wonderful birth---what a GREAT hospital and staff! Please write them when you get home(if you aren't already) and thank them for thier mother/baby friendly ways! Sounds like you had a wonderful team and I am thrilled for you with a new little man! (it does make a difference, doesn't it! ) I have a boy after 2 girls also..Congrats again!
Old 08-15-2008, 10:16 PM

Good job mama, congratulations
Old 08-21-2008, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathicog View Post
Congrats on a wonderful birth---what a GREAT hospital and staff! Please write them when you get home(if you aren't already) and thank them for thier mother/baby friendly ways! Sounds like you had a wonderful team and I am thrilled for you with a new little man! (it does make a difference, doesn't it! ) I have a boy after 2 girls also..Congrats again!

Oh I am definitely going to write them. I had the presence of mind to get all of their names from one of the postpartum nurses I had. I still can't figure out if I went at a good time or if it is truly a great hospial kwim? It just seemed like everyone was so different than I expected

User Tag List