Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

not willing to share this with this community any longer

#2 of 40 Old 08-28-2008, 04:05 PM

Sounds like she may not have been well-positioned when labor started.

So much of what you post reminds me of my labor, although it didn't last as long. I also ended up with interventions I hadn't planned on, but in retrospect I think all of the decisions made were absolutely the best decisions given the circumstances, and it sounds like the case for your story, as well. And, all is well that ends well. Healthy babe + healthy mom = WIN!

Sounds like you really had your head together during it all despite the agony of back labor, too. Congratulations on your daughter - what a lovely name. Enjoy your babymoon!!
#3 of 40 Old 08-28-2008, 04:06 PM

Welcome Lina.

What a beautiful name you gave her.

Casey, wife to Danny, mom to Olive : and Darcy : .
#4 of 40 Old 08-28-2008, 04:07 PM

Sorry it didn't work out. But glad everyone is here and healthy and it wasn't horrible. sounds a lot like my first UC, actually, except mine was a little shorter. I wouldnt have made 36 hours.
for me, "active" labor starts from the FIRST contraction.....I've never understood all the stories about how women DO things in "early" labor...like bake stuff, go shopping..even just sit and watch a movie..heck, even just TALK. From contraction 1, both times now, my contrax are PAINFUL and require full-on concentration, and the entire time between them to regroup before another one hits....it's like being in transition the ENTIRE labor...there is no "easy" part. I too remember my first UC, and after hours of painful, awful labor, and feeling like i was gonna throw up and thinking it HAD to be transition and it HAD to be nearly over...i checked..and I was like 4cm.

so..you are not alone. I have vowed that at a future labor, i'm taking a sleeping pill and a bunch of wine when contractions start, LOL!
Welcome new little Hoosier!

CPST
#5 of 40 Old 08-28-2008, 05:50 PM

Sounds a lot like my first birth except that Corbin got stuck and I had a c-section. I've never experienced "normal" labor, so I don't know how back labor compares, but I remember thinking "I can't do this anymore" when I was at about 3 cm, and thinking very unpleasant things about Bradley and his technique.

Congratulations on your little girl!
#6 of 40 Old 08-28-2008, 06:02 PM
Banned

Congratulations! :
#7 of 40 Old 08-28-2008, 07:02 PM

Congrats! She has a BEAUTIFUL name :

Mama to DD Feb '08 (9lbs), DS Oct '10 (10lbs) hbac.gif, DD Jan '13 hbac.gif

#8 of 40 Old 08-28-2008, 07:25 PM

Congratulations, I'm glad things went well at the hospital. Lovely name, too!

Mama to 2 year old and :: June 14th!
#9 of 40 Old 08-28-2008, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

Ironically, I did have about 10 hours of early labor, and baked pretzels. The 45 hours is from after that.

And it wasn't actually back labor, just contractions I felt mostly in my back.

Oh, and get this--her position? OA That's right. Her reason for not coming out was that she just didn't want to. Silly child.
#10 of 40 Old 08-28-2008, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
And it wasn't actually back labor, just contractions I felt mostly in my back.

Oh, and get this--her position? OA That's right. Her reason for not coming out was that she just didn't want to. Silly child.
Isn't that the definition of back labor?

Good for you that she was OA though - that probably helped you avoid a c-section.
#11 of 40 Old 08-28-2008, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pookel View Post
Isn't that the definition of back labor?

Good for you that she was OA though - that probably helped you avoid a c-section.
Apparently with back labor the back pain continues in between contractions. I was at least getting 30second to 10min breaks.

Oh yeah, that was another thing, the ctxs were irregular for the entire labor.
#12 of 40 Old 08-29-2008, 12:42 AM

OMG Lina is beautiful. :

Casey, wife to Danny, mom to Olive : and Darcy : .
#13 of 40 Old 08-29-2008, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
Apparently with back labor the back pain continues in between contractions. I was at least getting 30second to 10min breaks.
Huh, I don't know about that. I didn't have back pain in between contractions. The contractions WERE back pain. I always figured that counted as back labor.
#14 of 40 Old 08-29-2008, 01:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Huh, I don't know about that. I didn't have back pain in between contractions. The contractions WERE back pain. I always figured that counted as back labor.
Well yeah, that does make more sense. My limited reading was done in between ctx and was super vague. I just got it into my head that some back pain was expected and the line was whether it continued between ctx. But that's silly cause then why all the descriptions of how the uterus feels during ctx??
#15 of 40 Old 08-29-2008, 01:37 AM

I don't know about you, but I didn't feel anything in my UTERUS. :P Sorry, kind of busy with the sensation of my spinal cord being slowly sawed in half. :

Oh, and btw, she's beautiful!
#16 of 40 Old 08-29-2008, 01:40 AM

Congratulations!! I was in TAO and noticed your name not around...so I looked to see if you had your baby.
She is sooo cute.
Enjoy her..i know you will. :

The first rule of homeschooling: water the plants! :
#17 of 40 Old 08-29-2008, 01:44 AM
Banned

Your experience sounds so much like my birthing experience, 40hr plus labour with a hospital xfer...

I am so happy for you! Congratulations!! Lina Violet is exquisite! Enjoy your new baby mama!
#18 of 40 Old 08-29-2008, 02:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I don't know about you, but I didn't feel anything in my UTERUS. :P Sorry, kind of busy with the sensation of my spinal cord being slowly sawed in half. :

After the nubain I started getting some uterus sensations. And after the epidural I didn't feel anything in my back which was soooooo nice. But I could still feel uterine responses.
#19 of 40 Old 08-29-2008, 02:16 AM

congrats

Pari, Student, Job Seeker and mom to K (2006) and A(2011)

#20 of 40 Old 08-29-2008, 02:32 AM

Congrats!!!:

Liv, SAHM of 3 kiddos 

#21 of 40 Old 08-29-2008, 09:02 AM
wbg

Beautiful name!
Beautiful baby!
Beautiful Mama!

Wow! Your little girl made quite an entrance! She really wanted to extend the birth-bonding process!!! Enjoy your precious early days with her!

wbg...constantly amazed by Z , cherishing I , inspired by P , adoring K and still getting butterflies when I wake up with B !
#22 of 40 Old 08-29-2008, 10:29 AM

Hey, Liz! : Jake was the birth my contrax weren't working right and I ended up w/ the epidural, etc. He was born OA, but he was also asynclitic. Now my pelvis passed an OP + nuchal hand baby before him, so he was able to come out asynclitic. Maybe your girly was asynclitic or otherwise not optimally positioned up until you pushed her out. My midwife was telling me there was a recent study released where they took u/s DURING labor and found that babies still turn around quite a bit even during active labor. So just cuz she was born OA doesn't mean she was there the whole time. :

I'm glad you have such a positive attitude about it. Sounds like it wasn't too bad other than the pushing on your back and tearing. btdt. Bring home a sitz bath if they offer you one. Or just get in the tub several times a day.

Hope I get to meet her!
#23 of 40 Old 08-29-2008, 11:31 AM

I am going to sound like everyone else here...that's one of the most gorgeous newborns I've ever seen!!! Enjoy your babymoon! :

The first time is usually the hardest...I have a good friend whose birth was similar to yours in that she was planning a UC with her first and wound up transferring 30+ hours with nearly identical interventions to yours! She did go on to have two very easy UCs after that!

With my first the contractions hurt like &*^(% right from the beginning. I was up and moaning for what felt like the whole day. And the MW got there and I was only like 2-3. By the end I was so exhausted!

Then, with my second, I had little wimpy prodomal contractions like the whole day, and then they kicked in and they started to hurt. I called the MW telling her don't worry about coming right away because last time it was the next day. Well, she ignored me (suspecting I was farther along than I felt I was) and showed up anyhow and barely made the birth! The same thing happened with my #3...though I anticipated it better. It only hurt for about an hour with the last two kiddos, a complete contrast to the first!

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

#24 of 40 Old 08-29-2008, 04:06 PM

Congrats! :

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendy1221 View Post
Hey, Liz! : Jake was the birth my contrax weren't working right and I ended up w/ the epidural, etc. He was born OA, but he was also asynclitic. Now my pelvis passed an OP + nuchal hand baby before him, so he was able to come out asynclitic. Maybe your girly was asynclitic or otherwise not optimally positioned up until you pushed her out. My midwife was telling me there was a recent study released where they took u/s DURING labor and found that babies still turn around quite a bit even during active labor. So just cuz she was born OA doesn't mean she was there the whole time. :

I'm glad you have such a positive attitude about it. Sounds like it wasn't too bad other than the pushing on your back and tearing. btdt. Bring home a sitz bath if they offer you one. Or just get in the tub several times a day.
Yes, to all of this.

My understanding of back labor is that it is pain in the back caused by the baby's spine pressing against your spine, and that is why it continues between contractions. So pain that subsides between contractions is not considered back labor - again, this is just my understanding. I've read of some women who feel contractions in their thighs of all the odd places, and not their uterus, so it makes sense one could feel contractions in their back too. In both my labors I felt contractions in my back as well as my uterus, but I had a lumbar fusion 15 years ago and have ongoing back issues, so I've always chalked it up to that. Oh, and my first baby was posterior, and I'm not sure about the second since she arrived before the mw made it, but I have HUGE hips (in the words of my doula for dd1), so lots of room for baby and therefore they weren't grinding against my spine. So no back pain in between contractions for me, thank goodness.

Mama to M (7/05) and S (5/08) my surprise !!!
#25 of 40 Old 08-29-2008, 05:48 PM

CONGRATS!!!

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#26 of 40 Old 08-29-2008, 06:42 PM

Quote:
the sensation of my spinal cord being slowly sawed in half. :
That's actually a pretty good description.

Congrats on your baby Sapphire .. I Like her name too.

nak.gif Mommy to fencing.gifKai 2/03, hammer.gifCaden 1/08, energy.gif Kara 10/09, angel1.gif 3/21/13, &

rainbow1284.gif baby.gif  Cole 2/3/14 ♡ Happily unmarried to geek.gif Papa since 2002 ♡

~We may not have it all together  but together we have it all~ uc.jpgsaynovax.gifgoorganic.jpgintactivist.giflactivist.gif 

#27 of 40 Old 08-30-2008, 12:55 AM

Congratulations on your daughter! It sure sounds like back labor to me.

Heather Mike Married 8/1/99 Mom to Charlotte Aug 04, Nov 06, and Katherine Oct 07
#28 of 40 Old 09-01-2008, 05:41 PM

Quote:

OMG this was totally Paddy's birth!!! Like someone else mentioned, it was like being in transition the WHOLE TIME. Even though his WAS a traumatic hospital birth, I don't think I could have stuck it out at home either and probably would have transferred just like Sapphire Chan did.

She is sooooo cute!!!!!! Enjoy your baby girl! Fleur likes to eat her hands too, she frequently wakes up with one hand in her mouth and resists me moving it away (but then gets mad when she can't get the boob because her hand is in the way )
#29 of 40 Old 09-03-2008, 03:23 PM

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:::

She is absolutely beautiful Mama!!!

Sweet Lina!!

natural birthin', baby catchin', cloth addicted, intactalactavist mama of 12/00, 6/03, 10/07, 8/10 & our angelcubs three
#30 of 40 Old 09-05-2008, 12:15 AM

I am so happy for you Congrats!

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page