Collected stories of "overdue" babies? *Added questionnaire* - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-12-2008, 12:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My birth was aided by foley catheter and castor oil, and my unmedicated, unassisted story is linked in my signature.

1.) How many weeks were you when baby was born? 42 weeks exactly.

2.) How many previous births and were they "overdue" as well? 2, no.

3.)Did your care provider - if you had one - push any techniques to "move things along?" If so, what and when was this brought up? How did you react? What was your thought process in deciding how to proceed? Yes. I was attempting to birth at a center that couldn't legally allow women to deliver past 42 weeks. I agreed to foley balloon catheter to aid dilation and effacement at 41 w, 5 days, and took castor oil the evening of 41 w 6 d.

4.) What information was used to date the pregnancy (LMP, ovulation kit, U/S, etc.) Ovulation date. I chart.

5.) When baby was born was there evidence that supported or called into question the dates? (EG baby's weight; presence of lanugo or heavy vernix; dry, peeling skin; loose or stained skin; abundance of hair; placental abnormalities; hypoglycemia?) None. She "looked like a 40-41 weeker" according to my midwife. She was my lowest birthweight baby at 8#, 5 oz.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2008, 03:29 AM
zak

First son FSBC birth, no induction, no "natural induction", spontaneous labor. Only "intervention" was AROM at 8-9cm. No medications.

Second son homebirth, no induction, no "natural induction", spontaneous labor. No interventions. No medications.

1.) How many weeks were you when baby was born? LMP 41w1d (for both) or DOC 40w2d (for both)

2.) How many previous births and were they "overdue" as well? Both boys born at the same gestation, 2.5 years apart (see above)

3.)Did your care provider - if you had one - push any techniques to "move things along?" If so, what and when was this brought up? How did you react? What was your thought process in deciding how to proceed? - Nope, nothing to move things along. With my 2nd son, I did have a prenatal massage 2 days before my EDD and an adjustment, but that was just normal late-pregnancy comfort measures

4.) What information was used to date the pregnancy (LMP, ovulation kit, U/S, etc.) - LMP had me at 41w1d, DOC had me at 40w2d (based on my temping/charting for both boys)

5.) When baby was born was there evidence that supported or called into question the dates? (EG baby's weight; presence of lanugo or heavy vernix; dry, peeling skin; loose or stained skin; abundance of hair; placental abnormalities; hypoglycemia?) - DS1 was 8lbs 5oz, DS2 was 9lbs 5oz, neither had vernix, both placentas had slight calcifications, both were "well done" looking with their feet creases, hand creases & ears, they were "dated" to be about 41 weeks

HTH!

-zak- Mama to three fantastic sons - 2005, 2007 & 2010 and expecting a daughter February 2012!

Old 12-14-2008, 11:05 AM

1.) How many weeks were you when baby was born? 41w1d

2.) How many previous births and were they "overdue" as well? first born

3.)Did your care provider - if you had one - push any techniques to "move things along?" If so, what and when was this brought up? How did you react? What was your thought process in deciding how to proceed? My MW did not push anything. We talked about options and I decided to try accupuncture after 40 weeks

4.) What information was used to date the pregnancy (LMP, ovulation kit, U/S, etc.) all of the above. OB I saw at the beginning had due date as 3/29 while OV kit had me at 4/4. I choose the later date since it gave me more time to get the baby out naturally without having induction forced down my throat.

5.) When baby was born was there evidence that supported or called into question the dates? (EG baby's weight; presence of lanugo or heavy vernix; dry, peeling skin; loose or stained skin; abundance of hair; placental abnormalities; hypoglycemia?) Through he was early because of his size (6pounds6oz) but when they saw his hands and feet with the peeling skin they could tell he was about 41-42 weeks. Didn't get a good look at the placenta because of PPH.

Pernille, Married to : mom to my 2 littel boys :4/12/07 and : 8/24/09
Old 12-14-2008, 05:41 PM

.) How many weeks were you when baby was born? 42

2.) How many previous births and were they "overdue" as well?
3 previous. All overdue, except for #2 who was induced at 39w.3.)Did your care provider - if you had one - push any techniques to "move things along?" If so, what and when was this brought up? How did you react? What was your thought process in deciding how to proceed? We did all the "typical" things, because she was not legally allowed to deliver past 42w. Castor oil, herbs, moxa sticks. Turned out to be for nothing. I delivered "in the nick of time" anyway

4.) What information was used to date the pregnancy (LMP, ovulation kit, U/S, etc.) LMP and U/S
5.) When baby was born was there evidence that supported or called into question the dates? (EG baby's weight; presence of lanugo or heavy vernix; dry, peeling skin; loose or stained skin; abundance of hair; placental abnormalities; hypoglycemia?)
Nope. Just a big, healthy baby boy!!

Mom of 4 aspiring midwife "Friend"ly seeker
Old 12-15-2008, 09:58 AM

The link to my birth story is in my signature, click on the homebirth icon. We did use accupressure, which may or may not have sped things along. We did that at 40w5d, labor began in earnest at 41w1d and baby born at 41w2d.

1.) How many weeks were you when baby was born? 41 weeks 2 days or 3 days depending who you asked

2.) How many previous births and were they "overdue" as well? First baby

3.)Did your care provider - if you had one - push any techniques to "move things along?" If so, what and when was this brought up? How did you react? What was your thought process in deciding how to proceed?

Standard procedure of my MW's group is to do a cervical "sweep" at 41 weeks. I didn't want to. They didn't push it.

4.) What information was used to date the pregnancy (LMP, ovulation kit, U/S, etc.)

LMP + charting; U/S dated the pregnancy one day earlier

5.) When baby was born was there evidence that supported or called into question the dates? (EG baby's weight; presence of lanugo or heavy vernix; dry, peeling skin; loose or stained skin; abundance of hair; placental abnormalities; hypoglycemia?)

nope

Expat mama to my 7-year-old Halloween boy and my cheeky preschooler, who came before the midwife in January 2010... Gestating a new bean, debuting spring 2014!
Old 12-17-2008, 11:59 PM

1.) How many weeks were you when baby was born?
ds#1, 42+1; ds#3, 42+3

#1 and #3 see above. ds#2 was 2 days past due

3.)Did your care provider - if you had one - push any techniques to "move things along?" If so, what and when was this brought up? How did you react? What was your thought process in deciding how to proceed?
Midwife did not push anything. w/ds#1 I was freaked out by the biophysical profile and thought I'd loose my homebirth so I choose to take castor oil. It worked...but ended up with 3 day labor and csection.
ds#3 same midwife pushed nothing and was VERY supportive. Said I was wise to be wary of any kind of induction. I proceeded knowing that I would have a biophysical profile at 42 weeks and we'd go from there. I knew I would not loose my HBAC due to just being post dates.

4.) What information was used to date the pregnancy (LMP, ovulation kit, U/S, etc.)
Have charted for years. Pretty darn good at it, too. There was no doubt of conception date.

Baby #3was certainly post dates. Was super dry and peely. He was 10lbs even but my other 2 were also 9 and 10 pounds. Placenta was absolutely perfect though. He was a bit shakey probably from low blood sugar shortly after birth. Biophysical profile said there was plenty of fluid but midiwife noted that when water broke during pushing almost nothing was there. Meconium was present but not aspirated.

So so so very worth the wait.

Mama to DS1 (4/04) DS2 (HBAC 11/06) DS3 (HBAC 12/08) DS4 (HBAC 1/11). Wife to one handsome hard working DH.
Old 12-18-2008, 06:42 PM

41 weeks 3 days

2.) How many previous births and were they "overdue" as well? 3 previous births, none overdue. 1st- water broke at 36.5 weeks, next 2 induced at 39 wks.

My midwife wanted me to wait things out, she knew that my body would do it naturally
4.) What information was used to date the pregnancy (LMP, ovulation kit, U/S, etc.) U//S, and I charted to become pregnant this time

5.) When baby was born was there evidence that supported or called into question the dates? (EG baby's weight; presence of lanugo or heavy vernix; dry, peeling skin; loose or stained skin; abundance of hair; placental abnormalities; hypoglycemia?) Baby did have dry peeling skin.

dd 8, ds 6, ds 4,: (12/08), ds 1, me and dh:yawning Simplifying my life one day at a time! 925/2010
Old 12-20-2008, 03:29 AM

41weeks1day

One previous birth, she was born at 41weeks6days.

Not this time. With my first we did stretch and sweeps but I found them painful and ineffective. We did monitor the baby via non stress tests, she passed them all.

I know exactly when I conceived because I did artificial insemination. Pregnancy was dated by ultrasound at 8 weeks, baby measured five days ahead, like five days older than she was (error range was ten days I was told).

She was 8lbs14 (my first was 8lbs3), no other evidence that I can think of.
Old 12-20-2008, 08:53 PM

My birth story is here: http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1015124

1.) How many weeks were you when baby was born? By original calculations, 40 weeks 2 days. but after he was born, midwife said he might be about a week late (I did not know my ovulation date)

2.) How many previous births and were they "overdue" as well? He was my first.

3.)Did your care provider - if you had one - push any techniques to "move things along?" If so, what and when was this brought up? How did you react? What was your thought process in deciding how to proceed? No, my midwife said things would progress when my body/baby were ready. Though she did send me to the chiropractor and I think that helped things get going- but that was so the baby would turn.

I guess ultrasound and date of last period? Not sure.

5.) When baby was born was there evidence that supported or called into question the dates? Well he was 9 lbs, plenty of hair, but I'm really not sure though, I forgot to ask why the midwives thout he was late... hahah.

Jesus-loving Doula/Birth Photographer Mama to Tor 4/2007, Zion 11/2009, Enoch 11/2011, and Zephyr due 12/13/2013

Old 12-21-2008, 09:26 AM

Haven't read all replies. I found this link in a sig.

I was 42wks 5days

2.) How many previous births and were they "overdue" as well? I have had two children, both boys - both large. The first was born at 41wks 3days. He was a medical induction - which resulted in a very managed vaginal birth. It was pretty miserable. When he was born, he was completely covered in vernix - I believe he could have cooked a while longer.

Though I was seeing an OB, I had questioned her at the first appointment, and mentioned that I was unwilling to induce before 43weeks. She said she was uncomfortable waiting much longer than 42.5weeks, but if everything continued to go smoothly, she would continue to be supportive of my 43week marker. I had no intention of birthing with her [homebirth], so I took it with a grain of salt, but appreciated that I would get no flak from her.
I reminded her at every appointment I went, that I had no intention of inducing.

My thought process was, in a healthy pregnancy - any introduction of induction techniques carries unnecessary risk, that I was unwilling to take. I continued to weigh the risk/benefit scale daily, and always came to the same conclusion - Waiting, truly, was best.

I had a scheduled non-stress test the day before the birth, that I walked out of, as I was having back labor and the ultrasound tech could not secure the monitor correctly.
I wasn't worried - but wanted something on paper to say I was there incase of bad outcome.

Birth works. And I needed to respect the process.
I labored on and off for days, and for about a week was losing big chunks of mucous. I continued to dilate (to the point where, when I went into labor the day I gave birth, I was already walking around [without contractions] at 8cm.]
My body SLOWLY worked itself up for birth. I had so much relaxin, I felt like my pelvis was falling apart. It had to build itself up for the birth of a very large (but perfectly sized for the preparation and birth I had,) child. He was 10lbs 14oz.
I knew he was big, and I knew that if I rushed things, it would most likely end up in a cesarean. He was in a stubborn posterior position for quite a while, and needed that time and needed those days of labor to switch himself around. I felt him spin around right before his birth.

Early ultrasound and rough estimates by infrequent charting.

He was large, yes, but the weight averages out at around 40wks (for not GD babies.)
He had quite a bit of vernix, and his skin was beautifully pink, plump, and soft. Not peeling.
Placenta was intact, came 15 minutes post birth, didn't lose a lot of blood - and it had no calcification. Still healthy.

The birth was beautiful.
I'd do it again everyday if I could.
Old 12-21-2008, 01:17 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
My birth story link is in my signature and here.

I didn't start any natural induction methods (besides EPO to ripen cervix, which I don't see as an induction method really) until 41 weeks and then only prune juice, nipple stim, and sex.

41w3d, exactly the same as my mom when she had me (her first baby).

First baby

No, quite the opposite. My midwife really didn't want me to do anything, not even the most subtle natural induction techniques because she wanted to see what my body would do on its own. I her!

I had been charting (to avoid ) and we only DTD unprotected during my fertile time once, so it was pretty clear when I conceived. It just so happened that I had a textbook cycle that month too, so my LMP EDD matched my EDD based on ovulation.

Baby was a good weight, but not huge (8lbs 12oz), some vernix left, meconium-stained skin, healthy placenta with very slight calcification

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katfka View Post
The birth was beautiful.
I'd do it again everyday if I could.
:

Mama to DS1 (12/07), DS2 (4/11), and DD (6/22/14)
Finally diagnosed with APS after 3 s (11/09, 3/10, 7/13)
Old 12-25-2008, 08:34 PM

43 weeks exactly

1 previous birth, was 1 week early

Unassisted birth, no care provider

Ovulation date, charting

No

Here is a link to my birth story.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...ht=43+weeks+uc

Tracy, doula and Army wife and homeschooling mama to A and E
Old 12-26-2008, 05:14 PM

1.) How many weeks were you when baby was born? 42wks 3 days

2.) How many previous births and were they "overdue" as well?2nd son was 42wks 5 days

3.)Did your care provider - if you had one - push any techniques to "move things along?" If so, what and when was this brought up? How did you react? What was your thought process in deciding how to proceed? They where not really getting concerned yet. They stated that at about 43.5 we might try acupuncture, since that is what helped start labor with my second son.

4.) What information was used to date the pregnancy (LMP, ovulation kit, U/S, etc.) Early U/S

5.) When baby was born was there evidence that supported or called into question the dates? (EG baby's weight; presence of lanugo or heavy vernix; dry, peeling skin; loose or stained skin; abundance of hair; placental abnormalities; hypoglycemia?) Days seemed pretty close from the condition of my son at birth, longer fingernails, almost no vernix.

oAlisha- eternal companion to mike:, mother to three energetic boys (02):, (05), and (07) and one sweet little girl 3/13.  Two in heaven.7/21/2010, 11/05/2011 mecry.gif.

Old 12-28-2008, 01:46 AM

:
nak will post later. . .
Old 12-29-2008, 11:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuwavemomma View Post
. . .please address the following questions:
My latest was my third: 11 days "over". (Thus 41 weeks, 4 days).

Quote:
Yes, my first was 40 weeks, 4 days. My second child was 41 weeks.

Quote:
3.) Did your care provider - if you had one - push any techniques to "move things along?" If so, what and when was this brought up? How did you react? What was your thought process in deciding how to proceed?
The doctor (same for all) started making noises about planning an induction for 40 weeks 5 days at the final pre-natal appointments in all three pregnancies. He is a fairly laid-back doctor and was well aware of our opposition. The pressure was worst with the third, of course, as there were more appointments.

I had told him that I would not even consider discussing it or arranging an appointment for an induction until AFTER 42 weeks and that even then I would be unlikely to proceed. When I put him on the spot asking why it was so critical to induce by 41 weeks, he could reply only that he didn't have a good answer for that and that simply it's done because it's common, so no one knows what to expect beyond that. I thanked him for his candor and told him that wasn't a good enough medical indication for me to accept the risks of induction.

As for my thought process, in my first pregnancy, I just stuck with my reading that anything between 38-42 weeks was "term". Considering that and knowing that many first-time mothers go "over", I fully expected that the baby would not arrive on or prior to 40 weeks.

After that birth, I found out that 3 of my mother's 4 children were over 40 weeks, at least one by "a lot" (she couldn't clearly remember). That further convinced me that it was normal for our family and me in particular.

Quote:

First and third pregnancy were dated by LMP and ultrasound didn't suggest an altered date. Second was ultrasound dating coupled with dates of weaning first baby (no period in between).

Quote:
All three were large: 9 lb 14.25 oz, 9 lb 1.5 oz, and 11 lb 1 oz.

First had vernix in creases only.

Second baby had so much vernix and heavy creases on soles of feet such that doctor kept shaking his head at the birth and questioning whether she was really only 39 weeks. I am sure she was right around the 41 weeks based on my suspicions of when I ovulated, when we DTD, when I first got the positive home pregnancy test (I was doing them repeatedly because I hadn't yet had a period).

Third endured several heel pricks before we were finally "allowed" to leave the hospital 4.5 hours after he was born. I don't remember the numbers, but I know he was always within the lower end of the acceptable range quoted by my own doctor had quoted prior to him leaving the hospital for an out-of-town appointment. Babe was actually also within the tighter guidelines the substitute doc was quoting, but he wanted a "trend" before we left.

My husband and I was both tall and were both "largish" babies at birth. The babies had no skin staining, peeling skin, etc. The placentas always looked great. Clearly all just normal for us.

Six kids, sixth sense, six degrees of separation. . . from sanity!
Not sure that I'm crunchy, but definitely a "tough chew".
Old 12-30-2008, 03:44 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I was just getting ready to post my birth story when I found this!

My third child, second son, Zahir, was born on November 7th, 2008. I was exactly 41 weeks pregnant--and my other children were born before their due dates, so I was VERY ready to be done! (Though my first, my other son, now 4, was born by unnecessary induction 3 days before his EDD so really, I don't know what he would have done.)

This was my first homebirth, and it STILL was not quite at home. I chose to have a CPM attend my birth, and that is not legal in my state. So I drove 30 minutes across the border to a state where it is legal and there is a midwife with a place to deliver babies for people like me.
I also had to drive there for *all* of my prenatal appointments, *and* while in labor--during our first blizzard of the year! (*I* did not drive, a friend did. DH met us as I went into labor while he was at work and he actually works "over the border".)

So...the labor. As I said, at 41 weeks, I was *very* ready to be in labor! Especially after thinking that my water broke on a night 2 weeks prior to that! (What my midwife explained is that there are actually two layers to the water bag and sometimes there will be fluid between these layers. What she thinks happened, and I agree, is that only that outside layer broke--and there was fluid there that leaked. It was two gushes, an hour apart approximately, on that night--the first time I thought I peed my pants. Called midwife, told her, she said she agreed with my mom that I probably did NOT pee my pants *I* however am not so sure to this day...)
Anyway so I spent two weeks on rose hips tea (for Vit. C), echinacea, extra garlic--all immune boosters---and watching for any sign at all of infection. Nothing happened, other than I kept wanting very badly to be in labor!
(and because I'm me, I avoided public toilets like the plague, so outings were pretty short!)

On the night of November 6th, I walked the mall with my friend and her 6 year old in desperate hope that something, ANYTHING, "interesting" might happen.
It didn't.

I came home, and my ALMOST-self-weaned 22 month old asked to nurse. This time, I figured I would take advantage of this opportunity to test out the theory that SHE might start my labor.....
And it WORKED! Within 10 minutes I was moaning through contractions. When she finished, I called my midwife with 30 second contractions about three minutes apart! GO NATURAL OXYTOCIN!

so we agreed this was it...and I called the same friend I'd been walking the mall with---my birth photographer and arranged ride.

the drive takes a little longer than the usual 25-30 minutes due to blowing snow, but we got there. DH got my message, which was left about a half hour before he would've gotten off anyway and arrived around 1 AM--after bypassing the exit because he couldn't see the sign because of the snow on it! but he found us

My midwife arrived somewhere in there. My labor slowed down, we all sat talking (my husband learned more about different things to do witha placenta than he ever wanted to know.) and finally decided I should try some *very strong* red raspberry leaf tea.
Which didn't change anything.
around 4:30 my MW suggested we all go take a rest....it might actually help pick up my labor.

So reluctantly I did.....I recall about 4 close-together strong contractions when I laid down.

I eventually slept I guess because the next thing I know it's 6:30 and I have to pee. I also had a fairly hard contraction, called in midwife from nap in the next room. We decided to do my first pelvic of this labor--and I was an 8! Already! but with a cervical lip.

I did not know what a difference this was going to make. Being an 8, I thought I'd have a BABY within the next hour---after all, I was a 7 roughly 90 minutes before my daughter was born. (though something in me knew there was going to have to be some pretty intense happenings---after all, I'd been *asleep* and I was NOT anywhere close to sleep in that 90 minutes prior to my daughter's birth...)

I got into the bathtub. I worked with some contractions. MW spent some time working with that swollen cervical lip.
She asked me to do some pushing, I complied, partially out of wanting to, partly because it was supposed to help with this lip if I pushed as directed...
That was after the pelvic where I was informed I was fully dialated other than the lip---I think that pelvic happened after I asked about pushing.
(I was to later find out that this evil cervical lip thing swelled to twice the size it was at the first pelvic, that was about the time she broke out the evening primrose oil.)

either that or the pelvic happened because I asked about the bag of waters. STILL INTACT! It broke on a push with counterpressure from midwife (who commented the bag was really thick definently still intact) probably half an hour (?) before the birth. First one I've had not already be broken by the time I was pushing--my son's broke long before I was in "hard" labor, my daughter's was broken when I got to the hospital for sure, her head was so low I'd contract, gush, and her head plugged it again.

FINALLY FINALLY what seemed like HOURS later (it was probably an hour or less from the pelvic to this), MW tells me the lip is GONE and now I can expect to see a BABY on the next push or so! JOY.....(somewhere in the previous 20 minutes or so I had informed her I wanted drugs and that I could not DO this anymore, I was fairly certain I would die...)

10 minutes and a few pushes later, baby Zahir FINALLY FINALLY made his entrance! to a pronoucement of "thank GOD!" from me. It seemed like I'd pushed for half of *Forever!*
(I found out why later, my midwife gave me her notes of my delivery. I pushed for TWO HOURS. My other children were 20 minutes each of pushing!)

so.....my Halloween baby came a week late. But we were all thrilled with the birth and of course, the baby.

oh and he was 8 lbs 2 oz. 21 1/2 inches long (my other kids were 6' 6, 19 1/4 inches (induced) and 6 lbs 11 oz and 19 3/4 inches (natural birth, 38 weeks 5 days, used evening primrose oil capsules with her, don't know if that's considered something to induce. I was told it would not bring her on unless she was ready but it would get my cervix ready. I did not use it with this 3rd birth, but I would with any future babies because of the experience with the cervical lip....)

normal looking placenta. No abnormal wrinkles that I could tell. normal amount of vernix. Skin not really dry and peeling. Long fingernails, not something my other babies had. all of my babies have been born with a fair amount of hair. First baby actually had the most, this one was in the middle.

and even with the water leak, there was absolutely no talk of sending me to another care provider, of trying to use any natural induction methods at all. When I was 40 weeks, a week after my water leaked she said we could try intercourse as by then we figured it was either only that front layer of the bag or a high leak that sealed itself. (IF I did not actually pee my pants lol but really it did not smell like pee...) At any rate, there was no sign of any sort of infection or any sort of continued leaking, and she could tell baby had plenty of fluid around him, heart rate was fine. My midwife did not treat me any differently at 40 weeks-plus than my CNM did with my daughter at 38 weeks.

date of pregnancy determined by LMP.

lovin DH since 1/04, best mom for my 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), one 13 wk (10/13) and 5/15 just your average multigenerational living family!!
Old 01-01-2009, 12:05 PM

40 + 5

My first, but it looks like #2 is planning to come overdue now too .

i was with kaiser insurance midwives, they did nothing to push me along at all. no stripping, only one check. i only drank red leaf tea and took some EPO orally...tried to have sex, but it was too awkward at that size

Ovulation and early u/s confirmed the same date.

5.) When baby was born was there evidence that supported or called into question the dates? (EG baby's weight; presence of lanugo or heavy vernix; dry, peeling skin; loose or stained skin; abundance of hair; placental abnormalities; hypoglycemia?)[/COLOR][/CENTER][/QUOTE]

Nope. He was a normal 41 weeker --big and ready

My labor started on the night of 40 + 4 and progressed very linearly from contractions that were 15 minutes apart to 8-9 cm dilated when I got the epidural about 16 hours later. I had no intention of natural childbirth that time around...I just did what I did and that meant doing nothing most of the time. It was 24 hours of labor total and I think I did get some pitocin after the epidural, but that's kind of fuzzy.

By the way, my guy is named Graham too!! But we don't have a name for number two!
Old 01-03-2009, 01:30 AM

1.) How many weeks were you when baby was born? 42 weeks and 3 days

2.) How many previous births and were they "overdue" as well? 1 previous birth, and he was induced at 41 weeks, so I have no idea how log he was supposed to be carried If I get pregnant again I will expect to carry for close to 42 weeks.

3.)Did your care provider - if you had one - push any techniques to "move things along?" If so, what and when was this brought up? How did you react? What was your thought process in deciding how to proceed? My midwife and the whole hospital were begging me to come in and get induced. I didn't see the midwife after 39 weeks, because I was planning a home birth without her anyway, and she would have tried to induce at 41 weeks (hospital policy or whatever). So I called the hospital when I hit 42 weeks, because I was getting desperate and nervous, and they begged me to come in, citing the increased rates of stillborn at this point. I politely declined, and I went into labor the next night. I did not want to be induced - mainly because it would have been a huge disappointment. I was planning a somewhat unassisted home birth, and everyone I knew was freaking out. I kept explaining how my body knew how to birth perfectly, etc. I had talked it up so much that I could not give in and look like a failure! That, honestly, was my biggest motivation. And my fellow home birth friend convincing me that there was nothing to worry about. And I remembered that my son carried longer, too, and my cycle was never really normal. So I just did some quick reading on the subject, and found that the studies doctors throw at you about increased stillborn rates are actually incorrect.

4.) What information was used to date the pregnancy (LMP, ovulation kit, U/S, etc.) Last menstrual period and ultra sound

5.) When baby was born was there evidence that supported or called into question the dates? (EG baby's weight; presence of lanugo or heavy vernix; dry, peeling skin; loose or stained skin; abundance of hair; placental abnormalities; hypoglycemia?) She was perfectly healthy. Approximately 8 lbs, 11 oz, tiny bit of hair on head, very very pink colored, a bit of dark hair on shoulders and forehead (not sure if it was lanugo?) that remained for a few weeks, and vernix in creases. So she was not "late"! She was much healthier looking than my son, who was induced, who was blue and yellow and mad!

My birth story : http://www.mothering.com/discussions...0#post12905350
Old 01-03-2009, 02:44 AM

43 weeks

this was my first

I was planning a home birth, and my midwives normally say they won't do a home birth post 42 weeks, they were willing to let me try since I had been healthy my whole pregnancy. My baby still hadn't descended and I could feel the top of his head above my pubic bone. I didn't really have any braxton hicks or "practice contractions" at all. At 42 weeks we started doing all sorts of stuff over five or six days, evening primrose oil, both orally and as a suppository, black and blue cohosh tincture, homeopathics, cotton root bark tincture, castor oil, enemas, acupuncture and trigger point massage. I was totally willing to do these things because I wanted my labor to start and I wanted to be able to do a homebirth. I was doing parallel care with a local clinic and the physicians and nurse midwives there wanted to induce me at 42 weeks, so I felt the pressure from that to get stuff started more naturally. Unfortunately, none of the herbal or more natural methods worked. I had three non stress tests which all showed the baby was just fine. Finally at 43 weeks, my midwives said that they weren't comfortable doing a homebirth anymore, and I went to be induced at the hospital birth center. There I had cervadil and then pitocin for 24 hours, and still no real labor. I ended up having a c-section. The surgeon tells me that my pelvic inlet was too small-- I don't know, it is really hard for me to believe this, given that I am a pretty big person (5' 10" and 145 lbs before I was pregnant), and my baby was only 9 lbs, 4 oz at birth. But, why did I never go into labor even with pitocin and why did he never descend? They actually needed to suction him out even with the c-section because he was so high up in my abdomen.

LMP which I was sure of.

As I said above, he was 9 lbs, 4 oz, he had vernix in creases, and I guess he was a bit furry, but my midwives and some of the nurses said he looked like a 41 or 42 week baby, not 43.

I was really disappointed about the way my birth played out, I was really looking forward to labor as a right of passage, and didn't get to labor at all. I am wondering what this all might mean for a second baby. I have been playing with the idea of telling my providers my LMP was a week later that it actually was if I do get pregnant again. Obviously, I don't want to put my baby at risk, but I still wonder if the c-section was really necessary or if he would have eventually descended and come out vaginally. I would love to hear if anyone has heard of other births like mine and what happened with those women on subsequent pregnancies.
Old 01-03-2009, 02:57 AM

One prior birth, at 38.5 weeks. (And two since, both almost right at 40 weeks.)

I was seeing CNMs for prenatal care even though we planned a UC... at 40 weeks the one (who didn't know my history or plans) began pushing the nonstress test and talking about induction. I was so frustrated! It was so annoying. I had a deep, deep certainty that the baby was fine. I scheduled the nonstress test just to get her off my back, and decided I would not go in for it. I felt pressure to have the baby "soon" just so I wouldn't have to deal with anyone else's stress about the numbers. It was particularly irritating, because earlier in the pregnancy they had wanted to move my due date up later, saying I was measuring small. So the very same people who thought I was due later than I thought I was, were now telling me that because of the arbitrary number that they had *disagreed with me* on was saying I was "due". Blech. So even though I was still sure of conception, I said why not just move the due date up to where you all had wanted it before????? And she said that she'd have to have the OB review my chart. :

I used LMP and guesstimating conception, both I was pretty darn sure about. Fundal height was right on throughout pregnancy for my dates. The unecessary u/s that I had was the only thing that said baby was smaller, and that due date might be off by 2 weeks. (Mentioned above.)

She was born 7 lbs 8 oz, still had vernix but not much lanugo, no hair, no other signs of problems, placenta was perfect. All signs pointed to her being born exactly when she was supposed to be born, and not a second sooner. I cant' imagine forcing her from the womb 11 days sooner!

Interestingly enough - the CNM called to let me know that the OB had reviewed my U/s and agreed to move my due date up two weeks. Dh said, "Oh, that's good. You want to talk to her? She just had the baby."

~ Colleen ~ Joyful Unschooling Pagan mama to hearts.gifenergy.gifsuperhero.gifjog.gif and babyf.gif
"When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead."
Old 01-03-2009, 03:29 AM

dd number one was 42 weeks 4 days.

dd number three was 42 weeks 3 days.

ds number four was 41 weeks 3 days and dd number five was 42 weeks 1 day.

oops answered this above

each time i was advised to walk a lot and gentle squatting and rocking to help bring the baby down and the head onto the cervix to ripen it. they advised sex for the prostoglandins in sperm and the contractions stimulated by orgasm, nipple stimulation and massaging my ankles and near the base of my thumb and wrist for the reflexology of stimulating the uterus. my care provider for my first three births was a member the department of obstetrics at the university of british columbia, and was teaching staff at bc women's hospital. for my last two i was at a small town hospital in the okanagan bc where i had similar care. the staff there state themselves that 'they pride themselves on each birth being as close to a home birth as possible'

i was fine with their advise as it was pretty non-invasive medically and seemed to me and was explained to me that with natural methods such as those if my body was ready it would work, and if not then it would be eventually

i dont know if it makes a difference or not but my second birth was a section and the last three were v-bac.

lmp and i had always used natural b/c methods of dates,cm etc so i was very cure of dates, one regular for establishing dates u/s and for number three and four extensive u/s due to high risk 2nd pg

when all my late babies were born they each had a lot of hair, very long nails and on two there were sucking blisters on their lips from sucking thumbs in the womb. they were all, except number five, upwards of nine and a half pounds. with three out of the four the placenta was unusually large over two and a half pounds each time. they were sent to the lab but had no unusual results. not one of them had much in the way of vernix at all on them and all had rather dryish skin that sort of looked like it was peeling and in some areas on each baby actually did peel.

i had good birthing experiences for all my vaginal births. being over due was of minimal importance when it came to the last three births being v-bacs. my providers seemed confident that the babes weren't too large and that they were healthy and my body could do it.

hth~ viv

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 01-03-2009, 03:59 AM

My pregnancy with my oldest was 40 weeks, completely natural, no kind of inducing natural or otherwise. My second went to 41 weeks and then I agreed to a medical induction. My last was born at 42 weeks, on his own, I believe, unless it is possible that homeopathic and herbal induction methods can work a day after you stop taking them. My midwife had me try some things (sorry I don't remember exactly what) on Saturday and Sunday, but I stopped them each night. My son was born Monday night after a very leisurely labor all day. Here is his birth story.

My thoughts on induction. With my second daughter I was very hesitant. I had just had a non stress test and ultrasound (routine just because I was post-40 weeks) which at first were pronounced "fine" but then a perinatologist I'd never met before that minute came in and told me to check in to the hospital for an induction because she couldn't see enough amniotic fluid in the ultrasound. I went home instead, took a brisk walk, and talked to dh and a couple of friends, and my CNM. She said she wasn't going to be on call after that evening and since I hardly knew any of the doctors in her practice, I finally decided to go. Fortunately, it turned out easy, no problems. (Unless being induced can be a factor in developing severe food allergies. She had one of the worst cases of eczema anyone had ever seen.) I always wonder when her "real" birthday was supposed to be.

With my son, we might not have tried to induce, even naturally, but my midwife was about to leave for a cross country trip to be with her daughter who was about to give birth! We cut it so close; she left two days after I birthed my son!

I am quite certain of conception dates because I am good at keeping track of things. However, with both my "overdue" babies I was nursing their older sibling, which I know affected the length of my cycles. So perhaps that played a part. I've also read quite a bit on the topic, and about how 40 weeks is only the average, and so we should expect many babies to spend longer inside. So I was comfortable. The hardest part is dealing with the worrywarts around me, including my dh, who was never totally supportive of homebirth, let alone doing something as "unusual" as going "overdue."

My babies didn't show any of those signs of post-maturity. Nor did my induced daughter show any sign of prematurity. I am positive I would have gone into labor on my own within a day or a few days of the date I allowed the induction. She looked perfect. My son looked perfect. All of my babies were around 9 lbs with just enough vernix to rub in for a nice moisturizer and they were alert and quick to latch on.

I'd be happy to elaborate further if that would help.

Michele, mom of DD 5/01, DD 11/03, and DS 11/06

http://michelepixels.com/

Old 01-08-2009, 08:07 AM

41w2d

3 previous births, 41w2d, 41w0d, 40w2d.

I saw a ob/gyn who i really respect and like. At 40w6d when i was 4-5cm he suggested Pitocin, i said no, he said okay. Went into natural labor 2 1/2 days later.

LMP and 9 weeks u/s confirmed same date.

yes, confirmed the date I believe. Had meconium. Was 10#7oz. (1 3/4 pounds bigger than my previous births).

All was well!

Student Nurse Midwife and semi crunchy mom to 4 "C" named kids! 10yr old DS, 8 yr old DD, 6yr old DD, and 3 yr old DS. Praying that C #5 is in the future for me!
Old 01-08-2009, 08:17 AM

She was 11 days late so 41 weeks and 4 days.

Two previous births - which were each six days EARLY. So 11 days late felt like 17 days late to me. But I was really fine, and not having any "hurry up" feelings at all.

I had midwives, and they were really cool about it. Didn't use any techniques at all. I walked, but I'd walked all through my pregnancy. There was mention of not wanting to go beyond a certain point (I think their insurance might restrict them?) but not a big deal made at all. I did feel a little worried about it - but only as far as the midwives restrictions on keeping their own good standing as insurance company clients.

LMP. I didn't use an ovulation kit, and had no ultrasounds at all.

She was 8 lbs 6 oz, but my dd1 was 8 lbs 5 oz at 6 days early so not an unusual size of baby for me. She did have a head of dark hair when my other two had been born with just peach fuzz.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:09 AM

baby #1 was born at 42 weeks 4 days.
baby #2 was born right at 42 weeks

see above

baby #1 MW attempted to strip membranes at 42 weeks 3 days but since I was not dilated at all it was not very successful. It was extremely painful for me. I agreed because they said it might help me avoid induction...I was pretty clueless, lol.

baby#2 no attempts to sped things along.

baby #1 I was using ovulation kit and had an early ultrasound that confirmed dates in addition to knowing exact LMP.

baby #2 dh was deployed and came home for 2 days so we had a pretty good window of when it happened. Plus I knew exact LMP and early ultrasound confirmed dates.

Both babies were 9lbs 6oz. Both babies had zero vernix. Both babies had extremely dry, peeling skin, red rashes on many parts of the body...looked kinda rug burned. They probably hadn't had any vernix for a while. Both had long fingernails. No placental abnormalities. No obvious signs of hypoglycemia.

Birth stories:

baby #1 was an induction with the works but vaginal birth.

baby #2 - was pressured into induction but I refused. They pulled the dead baby card on me so I signed an AMA refusing the induction. I had a really long early labor (over 48 hrs) but contractions were always 5 minutes apart the whole time. Finally went to the hospital when it felt like time and my doula came with me. Refused EFM and stayed out of the bed. Refused both IV and heplock. Labored with the birth ball for about 4 hours until I had the urge to push. Nurses came in a couple times to check fetal heart tones with a hand held doppler. Dr offered AROM, I declined. I began pushing in a squat with the support of dh, my doula and a nurse. I was totally exhausted but tried that for a long time with no results. My water broke during pushing and there was some meconium. Flipped over onto my knees and burried my head into a pillow. This worked well and dh came right down the birth canal. Once head was out, dr felt for cord and said there was a tight double nuchal cord. She told me to turn over and then she clamped and cut the cord on the perineum. Then I pushed him the rest of the way out. Ds had to be resuscitated and had first apgar of a 4 but second was a 9. I'm still bitter that they did that to him needlessly and angry at myself for letting it happen. Any who, he was 9lbs 6oz, 22 inches long with a 15 inch head. I did not tear.

I'll probably have another overdue birth story for you this June...this time it will be a homebirth .
Old 01-16-2009, 04:51 AM

41 weeks 1 day or 43 weeks depending on who you ask!

No previous births

One midwife at me birth center offered to strip membranes at 40 weeks after we were discussing my partner's work schedule. He travels for work and had taken a month and half off (!) to be there for the birth and bonding time afterward...kid was way later than we thought, however, and his time was running out. We had no family nearby, and I was getting stressed. I took her up on the offer. 3 weeks later, we discovered I was leaking amniotic fluid and were not sure how long - could have been as much as 5 days. They offered to give me castor oil to avoid a hospital induction, and I was happy to give it a go.

LMP and U/S. The ultrasound data placed my due date 11 days after my date by LMP. I believe the date by LMP was more accurate, but was happy that the US date would buy me some time before anyone got induction-happy.

Yes. Placenta was very old and calcified. In the words of our very experienced midwife, it was 'the ugliest placenta I've ever seen'. Babe was verrry peely.

Nina's birth story, cut and pasted from another site:

When I was pregnant and planning a natural birth, I read all the unmedicated stories I could find in order to prepare myself and train my brain to think of it as normal and (most importantly!) doable. Reading so many of them really gave me the confidence I needed, and so now I feel obligated to share my story in turn. :-) I'll apologize in advance for the length as I'm sure it will be wordy, but the meat is in the details, right?

I had a great pregnancy! I ate well, and tried my best to keep fit and active by walking and doing yoga. We were planning to have our baby in a freestanding birth center, and I wanted to do everything I could to avoid being 'risked out' to the hospital. I really wanted the freedoms that the birth center would allow me, and I figured that being in a place where epidurals weren't available would up my odds of doing it without meds.

At eight days past my due date, we had an appointment at the birth center for a checkup and non-stress test. I'd been having a ton of clear, watery discharge. I'd had it off and on throughout the pregnancy, and didn't worry about it too much. But when they tested it at this appointment, it turned out to be amniotic fluid. It was a pretty small leak, but we weren't sure how long it had been that way. My last appointment had been 5 days prior, and I'd been having this discharge pretty consistently since then. Two of the midwives and I discussed the situation and our options: since there is some risk of infection, I could go to the hospital for a medical induction and have the NICU there in case there was a problem....or I could stay there and try castor oil first. Either way, today was the day! I had no signs of infection, I felt good, and the babe looked great during the NST. We stayed, and they sent my partner out to get me a milkshake to mix the castor oil in. (Eww, eww, and triple ewwwwww!) I'd been 2.5cm dilated at the previous appointment (they didn't check on this day, not wanting to introduce infection given my fluid leak), so we were all optimistic that either induction technique would be successful.

After he returned, I sent him out again for some supplies. Our birth center had no restrictions on food or drink during labor, and even had a full kitchen that we were welcome to use. He came back with ginger ale, gatorade, vitamin water, fruit, sour candies, and a whole mess of stuff to make tortilla wraps. I chowed down, figuring I'd need the energy and may not feel like eating much when things got going.

They set us up in one of the birthing suites to let us hang out (without officially checking us into the room) a while to see if the castor oil was going to do anything. For some reason, I had this expectation that something would happen not long after it hit my stomach. (If you're not familiar with it, castor oil is basically a nasty laxative.) After a couple of hours with nary a rumble, I started to wonder if I might be immune to its affects, and the midwife confirmed that some women just don't really respond to it at all. Six hours after my icky castor oil smoothie, I was really starting to get disappointed. My partner wandered off to the birth center's living room to watch the news while I stretched and walked in their peaceful little garden. That's when it hit. I needed my toilet in a major way! Back in my birthing suite, I started having some serious diarrhea. I've had some bad travelers' tummy in my day, but it didn't hold a candle to the hardcore intestinal cramping that the castor oil brought on! Being about a zillion months pregnant during all of this certainly didn't make it any more pleasant, either! But that's how it works. The cramping in the intestines cause prostaglandins to be released, which can also stimulate the uterus to contract - thereby starting labor in a woman who is 'ripe' for it. I was trying my best to stay calm and collected, not wanting to get over-excited or anxious ahead of the actual labor...so I pulled a laundry hamper in front of the toilet to lean on, and tried to distract my mind by reading the New York Times. It really helped, actually! For a while, at least...after a certain point, I just couldn't concentrate at all beyond a word or two. During a break in the action at this point, I went to the living room to tell my partner that his services were needed.

He was a little nervous and giddy, and said to me over and over, "Wow! It's happening, honey!" I think neither of us really believed it ever would, in a way. My due date had been pushed back from May 1st (based on LMP) to May 11th (based on ultrasound)...and it was now May 19th. Even though we were happy to have the date changed (gave us 11 more days to avoid the hospital induction, after all), we were, in our minds, 19 days overdue and READY for it! We'd been doing everything we could for the last few weeks to get things started; sex, walking, birth ball bouncing, more sex, evening primrose oil, we ate basil and oregano on everything...I started making my red raspberry leaf tea WAY stronger, and we even went bowling one day when it was raining like cats and dogs - just to keep me moving to get this baby out! I was really tempted to call a family we know that has a trampoline at one point!

In the end, I'm sure all that helped - but none of it really worked. But here we were, finally in labor. The midwife came in to check on us at one point not long after I'd retrieved my studmuffin from his evening news show. She found me naked (the clothes HAD TO come off!), bent over the bed, and breathing hard....we were officially in labor, clearly, and at that point we became the official occupants of 'the green room'.

I was still having diarrhea at this point, though it was tapering off...and I vomited quite a few times as well. I was feeling pretty weak after the intensity of it all, and was starting to have a hard time keeping my mind and calmness ahead of my contractions. That, for me, was the only negative about getting labor going with castor oil. Its affects left me pretty weak at the beginning of my labor, which was quite intense itself right from the start. But I forced myself to drink some fluids and nibble on a plain tortilla. I needed to get my strength back, and get my head in the zone before it got more intense - and I desperately wanted to avoid dehydration. Toting around an IV pole during all that would have been a total PITA for me.

I should mention here that I did part of the Hypnobabies home study course. I didn't do the whole course and didn't practice it much - and I wasn't using the scripts during labor. But I still think it helped me a ton. (That being said, I'll be more motivated to do the whole thing next time, knowing now how much that little bit helped!) I got myself in a really relaxed place, mentally, and I'm certain that helped my get my 'game face' back on. I think my body responded to this in an interesting way; not long after I remarked to my partner that I was feeling better and ready, my contractions picked up in intensity. I had back labor, and tried some movements we'd learned in our childbirth class. My honey (I'll call him NN) isn't the greatest massage-giver, but he tried to give me some counter-pressure. We'd brought an herbal heat wrap from home...I sent him to the microwave to warm it up, and it helped a bit. I tried to put off getting into the tub for a while, wanting to save it...but at a certain point, I realized it was time to have NN fill it. As soon as I slipped into that warm water, oh my goodness! It was instant relief! I knew at that moment why they call the tub the 'midwive's epidural'!

My labor backed off just a bit at this point, giving me a nice break. I had enjoyed being pregnant, loved my belly and my curves...and laying there in the water, in the dim lights of our room, NN told me I was beautiful. It was such a sweet moment, and I hope I never forget it. We were alone for most of the early labor, and I was happy with that. I hadn't wanted any other friends or family there, wanting to focus solely on my labor and the mindset I needed to stay 'in the zone'. The midwife must have intuited that I didn't need a lot from them at this point, and she was great at quietly stepping in to have a listen with the doppler and take my temp (still monitoring me for infection). She checked my dilation once in the phase. 5cm. I couldn't help but yell out, "That's it?!!" But she assured me that it was actually very good and that I was making great progress. NN didn't really know what to do with himself or for me, and didn't say much aside from some encouraging words here or there - but it was perfect for me, and I knew he was laboring (almost) as hard as I was in his own way. We were going through this together, and his mere presence was so calming for me.

After our little reprieve, my contractions really started picking up, both in intensity and length. My bladder felt insanely full, and I was unable to relieve myself. It felt stinging and tight with every contraction, so I asked the midwife if she could do a quick-cath. She did, and we both could feel that the baby's head was blocking my urine flow as she inserted it. Instant relief. After this, I went totally out into laborland. I was alone in a dark, quiet room inside my mind. I noticed very little of what was going on around me at this point, focusing very intently on breathing my way through the contractions. I rolled with them in the water. I even slept between them, aware that I was starting to get tired and knowing that I'd need some energy when we got to the pushing stage. It is truly amazing how much you can actually rest in such short intervals. I said very little. Some hypnobabies moms are able to have 'pain free' births. I can't say I was completely without pain, but I wouldn't describe it as that in retrospect. It wasn't pain, but pure, intense, occasionally searing energy and pressure. There were a few moments when I failed to stay on top of the contractions mentally, especially when they came two at a time or when there was a very long one. And I won't lie: there were a few moments when I thought "What the hell am I doing here?!" in regard to my choice to birth outside a hospital with no pharmaceutical relief. But I never let myself say it out loud, because I knew it would be a downhill spiral from there.

Still in the tub at this point (NN was great with the water temp...I had him warm and cool it several times as I was going hot and cold, and I think the variation really helped!), and my body started pushing in convulsing, shuddering waves. It pulled me out of my laborland zone, and I gasped to NN between these waves to go get the midwife and the nurse. He asked why and what to tell them...I wanted to explain, but could only manage to say, "Just get them!". This being my first child, I thought this was it, but it didn't quite feel right. The women rushed in, and helped me out of the tub to check my cervix. I was only 7cm.. I vomited a couple of more times while out of the tub, and tried to drink some more water and gatorade to stay hydrated. I'm not sure if it was transition that caused my convulsion and vomiting, or if it was the last of the castor oil affecting my body, but I was trying like hell to breathe through this pushing sensation and not let it happen. I'd read that pushing too early can cause the cervix to swell, inhibiting delivery. But it was so hard and I really couldn't stop it. I tried to get out of the tub to walk and stretch and relax again as best I could, and eventually that sensation died down for a bit.

I was breathing really hard, as though I were on a long, fast run. This was cardio exercise that the best spinning class could never match! I heard NN comment on it to the midwife, and she explained to him that my body was working extremely hard to open my cervix and push the baby down. For the last week or so of my pregnancy, and all throughout the labor, I would stare at large circles...I looked up videos of flowers opening in time-lapse photography...I would try to relax and imagine my cervix widening. During labor, I tried to keep my mouth open and jaw relaxed, as I'd read something about that mirroring the cervix in one of Ina May's books. It all may sound a bit hokey, but it was all part of willing my body to relax and open.

And the pushing urge returned. The midwife checked me again, and I was "a wide 9cm". She had me get on the bed at this point, and that she could help stretch the last lip of cervix during a push if I felt the urge to do it again. I did, and she did, and now we were ready to really get down to business! I chugged a boatload of purple gatorade at this point, wanting to shore up before I really got started with this phase. As happy as I was to have the freedom to do it, and as thirsty as I was, I want to say how bad an idea it was to chug that much at this point in the game! My stomach was FULL of gatorade, and it got compressed with every push - forcing the gatorade back up into my mouth. NN or the nurse would hold a bowl aside my head, and I'd be in mid-push spitting like a cowboy with tobacco in his mouth. It was really quite hilarious, and gave us all a good laugh. It lasted through my entire 2-hour pushing phase, though, and the whole thing got really old really quickly - and it was challenging to focus on an effective push while this stuff was surging back up. Huge mouthfuls were coming up, no matter what position I tried. I seriously looked like a chipmunk with full puffed out cheeks. Every. Time.

I was pushing for quite a while, and could feel that the baby's head probably wasn't in the best position. My bladder felt terribly full again and I couldn't pee, so I asked for another quick-cath. Shortly after that, I pushed for a while on the birthing stool. This was pretty amazing for me. In that position, I was able to get a lot of really strong, effective pushes. At one point, I totally felt her head slide down inside my pelvis. It was the most amazing feeling, and it seemed that I could even feel how her head and face were shaped. In fact, when I got to see her face for the first time, it was as though I'd already seen it. My body already knew, if that makes sense. I got such an intense visual image of her when I felt that, and it's something that never would have happened if I'd been numbed.

I was happy pushing on the birth stool (and want to interject here that any pain-like sensations I'd felt during the labor contractions went away 100% when I was able to push! Pushing felt GOOD!). The midwife suggested I move back to the bed at some point, though, saying that she would have no control over my perineum if I birthed her on the stool. I knew we were getting close, but the birth stool pushes were so effective that I wanted to stay there as long as I could. I asked her to feel how close she was, and kept asking if I could manage one or two more before moving.

Once we moved back to the bed, both NN and I reached down and felt the head. It was RIGHT THERE! The midwife had been stretching my vagina with every push, and now the nurse poured some herbal oil all over the area. With just a two more pushes, my baby was crowning! I didn't have the complete ring of fire effect, but I did feel some intense stretching right on and just to the left of my clitoris. It surprised and shocked me, and I just kept thinking, "No! Not THAT part! I like that part alot!". But the babe crowned quickly, and a ton of amniotic fluid came out just behind its head - so much that the midwife said I may have had polyhydramnios. The body slid out with just one more push, and right up onto my chest it went. I was giddy and high and laughing and so happy! I still hadn't seen the face, and was just massaging and rubbing this slippery back full of Shar-pei like rolls. Then the babe proceeded to have a huge meconium dump all over my belly. I will, some day, delight in telling her that the first thing she ever did in this world besides take a breath was to sh*t on her mother. ;-)

This birth center generally allows the cord to stop pulsing before clamping and cutting, but the midwife acted quickly after seeing it. It was full of large hematomas. She acted on instinct, then stopped to say to NN, "Oh my gosh! Did you want to do that?! I'm so sorry!". He wasn't offended and hadn't really wanted to do it in the first place, and of course we understood completely after what happened later with the cord and placenta.

NN's only pre-determined responsibility was to announce the sex. We'd chosen not to find out, so obviously this was a big moment! He was so excited and so many things were happening all at once...he glanced quickly and proudly said, "It's a boy!!". The midwife, ever diplomatic, said, "Mmm...sure about that?" He looked again, and saw the truth. She was a girl. :-) Somehow I knew that she was as soon as he said "boy". I wasn't at all disappointed, but it just didn't seem right - and it wasn't. My first true moment of mother's intuition. ;-) He was embarrassed, but laughing, and saying he flubbed his one big job! He'd had an odd angle at the goods, and just saw a wee bit of her hormonally-swollen labia and thought they were testes. (And...he won't admit it, but I think it may also have been because he secretly wanted a boy!)

At this point, our midwife knew there was a wee problem with the placenta. As I mentioned, the cord was in terrible condition. I was bleeding a fair amount and the placenta did not want to detach. The nurse gave me an IM shot of pitocin that I didn't even notice. The midwife had me continue pushing as hard as I could muster. She was trying to apply a little manual traction, but said she was afraid to do much, that it might fall apart. I saw concern and focus on her face, and she said I should hand Nina off to her dad so that I could keep pushing. I asked him to take his shirt off, wanting her to get the skin-to-skin. I knew the midwife was a bit worried, but I was still smiling, and looked over at NN holding our brand new baby. He looked so good holding her! We just looked at each other, smiling and proud. He told me later that he was really worried at that point - about whatever was going on with me, and about the shape of our baby's head! He'd forgotten that it may come out misshapen, and she was a total cone-head baby! But he said that when I looked over at him and smiled, all of his worry just melted away. I commented to the midwife that this was a good thing, having to give her to him. They bonded in that moment as it was just the two of them alone in the corner. There were no other staff there at this time of night, at least until our midwife called for backup.

She yapped at the nurse to call one of the other midwives to come in. When the nurse asked what she should tell her, she totally snapped and said, "Just do it!", and immediately went back to work with me. This midwife is pretty cool and confident, and the tone of her voice let me know that she was truly concerned. My placenta did finally come out 'dirty duncan' style, meaning it came out uterus-side first rather than the other way around. The mw said it was the ugliest placenta she'd ever seen. The cord was attached to the placenta abnormally (velamentous insertion), was full of large hematomas, and the placenta itself was highly calcified. The nurse started an IV to get more pitocin in me, as they really needed my uterus to clamp down and stop bleeding, and to contract well enough to expel any bits of placenta that may have been retained. She told me later that she would have transferred me to the hospital if it had continued much longer, and it would have to have been by ambulance given my just-birthed condition. They later gave me another IM injection of another medication, and sent me home with some pills of the same to help my uterus contract further.

The other midwife showed up, and the two of them basically went on an archeological expedition, flashlight and all, in my uterus to ensure that there were no pieces remaining. Everything looked good and my bleeding was slowing. And she proudly proclaimed that I had no tears! WOO HOO! I found out later that Nina crowned sideways and with both fists up by her temples, and thanked our mw profusely for doing whatever it was she did to prevent tearing.

Despite the drama with the placenta, being covered in poo, and having the IV, I felt like a million bucks! I realized that with natural birth, it's done once it's done. There is nothing 'extra' to recover from. I took a loooong shower as soon as the IV was done, and crawled into the cleaned up queen-sized bed to cuddle with my new family. Nina was perfect and alert and gorgeous; 7lbs 13 oz and 22in long. NN was immensely proud of his new daughter, and of me, and said that watching me do what I'd just done was amazing. Our wee one did not want to latch on for the first day or so, but the lactation consultant who stopped by to help us get started said not to worry...that she may not be hungry at first if she had a belly full of amniotic fluid. We went home 12 hours after her birth, and that LC came to our house 3 days later to check on us both and do her PKU screening and hearing test.

I did feel a bit traumatized for a day or two after her birth, still reeling from the intensity of the birth and barely believing that I'd achieved the intervention-free birth I'd so hoped for. But about a week later, that feeling of trauma faded into immense pride. Now, at nearly 3 months postpartum, I'm still proud of what I accomplished, but it's less of a big deal. At this point it is just normal to me, if that makes any sense. Normal and natural, and as it should be.

I'm so grateful to have had a birth center nearby and available to us. We're moving soon to an area that doesn't have a freestanding birth center, and I'm sad for that. If we have another child there, I'll probably opt to birth at home rather than in a hospital. For me, the atmosphere was really crucial to the process. It was homey. The lights were dim. There was no admissions BS. I never had to fight for anything - in fact, their policies were so aligned with what we wanted that our birth plan was but one sentence: "Go with the flow!". I was free to move, eat, drink, walk, light candles, put bubbles in the jacuzzi tub, hang pictures on the wall, whatever. We never had to wear wrist bracelets or ID badges, our daughter was never apart from us, and I doubt there is anything resembling a can of formula anywhere in that building.

My recovery was quick and easy. In fact, I hesitate to call it recovery. To me, it was more like my body re-righting itself to its pre-pregnancy state. We even went to a low-key cookout on her 4th day of life, much to the amazement of all the women who were present. She slept in her sling for the whole thing, minus a few minutes to nurse.

But I'm getting off-track and this is already an epic post. I'll be amazed if anyone's read this whole thing, but it has been a wonderful thing for me to sit here and write it all out. I don't want to forget even of a minute of this wonderful experience, and I hope my story inspires confidence in others. Good luck to all the soon-to-be's out there who may be reading this! I hope you are as thrilled with your births as I have been with mine!
Old 01-20-2009, 12:17 PM

:

Erica, wife to Jason (March 2002) . Mama to Ava (June 2003) , Jason Jr. [AKA JJ] (August 2004) , Lila (January 2009) , Maura (October 2010) , and a new person in December 2012!
Old 01-24-2009, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehi View Post
two pressure points that will help bring labor on if you're on the cusp. One is between your thumb and pointer on the meaty part of your hand. The other is about 4 finger breadths above your ankle.
How funny is that! I was taught years ago to use those pressure points to help relieve menstrual pains. It works. Now I wonder how it works, because it seems to have multiple purposes....
Old 01-24-2009, 04:15 AM

My one and only pregnancy so far was 6 days overdue. My midwife "stripped" the membranes the day before I went into labor. I had been dilated to about a 4 for a bit. And to be honest, I just really wanted to hold my baby. She said it is usually uncomfortable, but since I didn't feel much I was probably pretty ripe. I am ashamed of my impatience now, and in future will not press to hurry things up. I was offered a drug of some sort if I really really wanted to get labor going, but my MW wasn't keen on the idea and neither was I. DS was 7lbs 11oz, had a very small amount of vernix, but was healthy, happy, and beautiful.
Old 01-31-2009, 04:29 PM

My first son's birth came naturally at 40w3d, but it was a horribly long labor that included every form of natural birth stimulation possible (ie walking, showering, nipple stimulation, etc.) and then eventually pitocin because I was admitted to the hospital at 5cm dilated and was "on the clock." In the end, I was just thankful I didn't end up with a c-section (I was in the hospital laboring for almost 36 hours, the last 8 were the ones with pitocin), but I KNEW I didn't want a repeat with #2.

Fast-forward to Baby #2:

40 weeks came and went. My midwife offered to strip my membranes, but I was going to let this baby come when she was good and ready.

I was due at the end of July; she was born on August 12. I was technically 22 days overdue. *gasp* I hadn't had a single cervical examination and did absolutely nothing to try to stimulate labor while waiting. We didn't even try any extra hanky-panky, if you know what I mean.

My labor was by the book. 12 hours from start to finish. I arrived at the free standing birth center I'd chosen to deliver at and was almost 9cm dilated. It was the DREAM delivery.

Thanks to extra "cooking" time, she WAS 10lbs and 22". (!!!) But the quiet ease with which she arrived made it totally worth it (and I didn't even tear, for the record, although I am a small 5'5" 115lbs-- all thanks to my midwife who massaged, used hot cloths, and coached me well through the delivery). Labor works so much better when baby and mama are both really and truly ready!

Wife to Daniel and blessed SAHM to Gabriel (6), Bronwyn (5), Jackson (3), Aubrey (2 ), and Claire (11/1/09 )

User Tag List