Collected stories of "overdue" babies? *Added questionnaire* - Page 4 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#91 of 114 Old 02-01-2009, 09:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
1.) How many weeks were you when baby was born?
42 weeks 0 days

2.) How many previous births and were they "overdue" as well?
This was my first

3.)Did your care provider - if you had one - push any techniques to "move things along?" If so, what and when was this brought up? How did you react? What was your thought process in deciding how to proceed?
Yes. Before 40 weeks I had my membranes swept. After that, my drs pushed to set up an induction date at every appointment. After my 41st weeks they were extreme in their tactics (tried to scare me to induce telling me about meconium, too big a baby, increase death, increase c/s, etc.). I refused all of them and instead was sent to do NSTs for baby every other day and 2 biophysical profiles.

4.) What information was used to date the pregnancy (LMP, ovulation kit, U/S, etc.)
LMP

5.) When baby was born was there evidence that supported or called into question the dates? (EG baby's weight; presence of lanugo or heavy vernix; dry, peeling skin; loose or stained skin; abundance of hair; placental abnormalities; hypoglycemia?)
She weighed 6 lbs 14 oz, almost no vernix, very young and healthy looking placenta (grade 1), long nails. Perfect baby.
#92 of 114 Old 02-01-2009, 02:51 PM

I don't have a lot of details, but my little sister was three weeks late. This was in '82. They tried to induce my mom, but it didn't work, so they sent her home. A day or two later, she went into labor and my sister was born in 45 minutes. They didn't even make it to the delivery room - she crowned in the hall! I was three weeks early, so she averaged 40 weeks between the two of us.

Living with my DW, ourcat.gifAstrid, my mom and dad, and their dog and cats, too.  Hoping to start TTC with my OSO as baby-daddy soonish!

#93 of 114 Old 02-02-2009, 05:31 PM

My unassisted childbirth, spontaneous labor at 41.4 weeks.

41 weeks, 4 days

One prior birth was a nightmarish induction with a medwife at 38 weeks(which is why I UC-ed the second)

3.)Did your care provider - if you had one - push any techniques to "move things along?" If so, what and when was this brought up? How did you react? What was your thought process in deciding how to proceed?

I stopped seeing my care provider at 18 weeks

4.) What information was used to date the pregnancy (LMP, ovulation kit, U/S, etc.)

LMP and U/S

5.) When baby was born was there evidence that supported or called into question the dates? (EG baby's weight; presence of lanugo or heavy vernix; dry, peeling skin; loose or stained skin; abundance of hair; placental abnormalities; hypoglycemia?)

No
#94 of 114 Old 02-03-2009, 12:43 AM

This is my kind of tribe! I actually feel somewhat normal here after keeping my buns in the oven so long!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuwavemomma View Post

43+1

Quote:
1 previous birth and he was 42+2

Quote:
With my first the moment I showed up at my 40 week she started talking about scheduling stress tests. I was *so* upset. My mom went almost 42 weeks with all 3 of her kids (and we were all induced to boot!) so I was expecting to go late. I cried and became very distressed. At 41 +5 I agreed to start taking the cohoshes to strengthen some of the warm-up stuff I was experiencing. I went on to half-ass labor for 3 exhausting days plus I was already upset and stressed. They broke my water also. He was perfectly healthy, 8 lbs and had signs of being EARLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For my second pregnancy I found a different midwife and was very honest from the beginning about the possibility of being late. Luckily she went 42 weeks with her kids and was very comfortable with me starting naturally. She never even checked me or even suggested anything at my 42 weeks. I started to get nervous just because everyone in my ddc had long before had their babies. I just kept walking, having great sex every day and spent a lot of time in positions to promote the best baby positioning. It ended up being the gentlest, best wonderful amazing birth. He was only 7.5 lbs-placenta was gorgeous. Imagine if I had been induced at 38 weeks-5 weeks earlier! He would have pretty much been a preemie!!!!!

Quote:
LMP

Quote:
5.) When baby was born was there evidence that supported or called into question the dates? (EG baby's weight; presence of lanugo or heavy vernix; dry, peeling skin; loose or stained skin; abundance of hair; placental abnormalities; hypoglycemia?)[/COLOR][/CENTER]
With my first he showed a few signs of being on the earlier side-vernix and something about his ears. Both times our placenta was gorgeous and thriving. My second son looked absolutely perfect! (my first son did too-just that he had vernix )
#95 of 114 Old 02-03-2009, 01:37 PM

http://kbdidit.blogspot.com/2009/01/...sac-james.html
The above link will get you to my birth story

1.) How many weeks were you when baby was born? I was 25 minutes shy of being 42 weeks

2.) How many previous births and were they "overdue" as well? My first baby was 3 days overdue

We'd been trying a few things to get labor going, sex mainly but contractions went away as soon as we stopped.
The day I went into labor my midwife checked my dilation and said that there was almost no effacement or softening at all. Because we were very certain on the dates, she thought that it wouldn't be a bad idea to get things going if we could. She didn't push it but I was feeling ready and we could tell the baby was pretty good sized. We did a cocktail of herbs, homeopathics, castor oil, breast pump, belly massage and hypnobirthing relaxation to get my head in the right place. Her assistant came over to help me keep with it and that was really nice.

We used LMP and an ultrasound at 11 weeks to confirm.

When baby was born he did have some dry peeling skin which was a little strange but not really a big deal. He was huge, 9lbs, 10 oz so I was glad I had him when I did and he didn't get any bigger before he was born. Maybe it was because he was so big or just more developed from being in there longer but he had a much easier time latching on than my first one did and nursed much more effectively. Probably because of that he gained weight much more rapidly.
#96 of 114 Old 02-14-2009, 08:27 PM

Just saw the link in your siggie

41w+2d
one, nope. First was right btw the two due dates
He wanted to. Tried scare tactics of the "horrors" of babies going over 41 weeks. : I was 2cm dilated, according to him, at 40w (really it was more, I was nervous during the exam). He just said something like, "Well, if you're ready, we can just check you into the hospital and give ya something to kick-start this."... Luckily I was an MDC mama this time. And the first in his practice to refuse an induction :
LMP and U/S. Didn't really want U/S, but I had some unexpected bleeding that freaked me out in the 2nd trimester.

Not precisely. She wasn't as furry as my first. She was more wrinkly and her fingernails/toenails were long and hard. My placenta had little gritty white flecks, which I assume was calcification, but doc said it looked extremely healthy and I wouldn't have even known if I hadn't eaten it I don't think she was overdue at all.

---feeling like an emu on acid---
#97 of 114 Old 02-15-2009, 11:56 AM

I'll be back to answer the questionnaire for my 42 week pregnancy that just occured 26 days ago

Erica, wife to Jason (March 2002) . Mama to Ava (June 2003) , Jason Jr. [AKA JJ] (August 2004) , Lila (January 2009) , Maura (October 2010) , and a new person in December 2012!
#98 of 114 Old 02-17-2009, 02:48 AM

My mom and grandmere always told me we carry late babies. I was born at 40 weeks. My mom's second c-section. My lungs were six weeks underdeveloped (my youngest brother and sister were both VBAC's at home and were carried for 44 and 45 weeks). I have had two children. My daughter was born at 42 weeks and 1 day because I induced with cohosh in order to be allowed a home birth. My son was born at 38 weeks with lungs that were severely underdeveloped.

1.) How many weeks were you when baby was born?42 weeks for daughter, 38 for son

2.) How many previous births and were they "overdue" as well? Just the two

My midwife encouraged me to use cohosh or whatever I could to get my daughter born before 42 weeks as any lnger means she can't attend the birth at home. I was livid as I wanted it to start on its own and felt very betrayed.

4.) What information was used to date the pregnancy (LMP, ovulation kit, U/S, etc.) I used LMP for both.

My daughter at 42 weeks was still covered in thick vernix and her placenta showed NO signs of aging, she weighed in at 8lbs. My son at 38 weeks was physically a 38 week baby with the lungs of a 32 weeker, he weighed in at 7lbs 9oz. He was born early most likely due to my working a lot of night shifts and screwing up my circadian rythm - studies have shown that that increases the likelihood of premature birth by 50%.

tireless sewer of teeny little clothes for Bamboletta dolls ...

#99 of 114 Old 02-18-2009, 12:01 AM

41+2

One previous birth, a scheduled c-section at 39 weeks for breech presentation. I never went into labor.

I had agreed with my family practice doc to wait until 42 weeks, but to do NST at 41 weeks. I went in for a NST at 41+1 and had low fluid. I was told at the time that the baby needed to be born "soon" b/c they were worried about it. Fortunately, I was in early labor at the time. Care providers sat on their hands, bought me time, waited, and out came my beautiful baby! My water was broken when I was 8 cm at my request (I wanted to be done!)

u/s, plus my BBT chart (agreed within 1 day - we picked the later date).

Nope - baby looked like she'd cooked just long enough. 8 lbs 7 oz, 20 inches long. Placenta had a tiny bit of calcium in it but not enough to worry about.

The birth story is linked in my signature. It was a great, completely natural VBAC.

Mom to James (ribboncesarean.gif 5/2006), Claire (vbac.gif 6/2008), furry kitties Calvin and Bob, and wife to Dennis. 

#100 of 114 Old 02-18-2009, 08:06 PM

41 weeks

This was my first

At 39w5d, he said he wanted to talk about induction at my next appointment in 1 week. I told him I did not want to induce. I asked if he'd seen my ~10 week ultrasound that measured 6 days smaller than my LMP (I'd switched doctors). I actually had 3 ultrasounds between 8-12 weeks, which varied from 3-6 days smaller, but I didn't bring up the other two. At 40w5d, I showed him the ultrasound and said that according to that date, I wasn't overdue yet. He said he wanted to schedule a NST for the end of the week, which would have been 41w1d, but didn't try to get me to do anything else. I was a little surprised -- I didn't get to do the rest of my speech about how a 2.5% (1 week/40 weeks) variation in dates seemed perfectly reasonable, that I would need evidence there was a problem before I'd consider induction, etc.

I wasn't willing to do anything that I considered extreme to hurry things along, but I did do a few things that seemed like they couldn't hurt. I had been working out my entire pregnancy, and I kept moving until the very last day. I was walking in my neighborhood when I started to think something might actually be happening; something was, and my son was born about 9 hours later. I also kept going to my prenatal yoga class. A couple people there suggested chamomile tea and fresh pineapple, so I had both of those 2-3 days before my son was born.

LMP, U/S

He was born 7 pounds 2 ounces after 4.5 hours of labor and 4 pushes. We wanted to stay home as long as possible, and we did. My son was born 26 minutes after we arrived at the hospital, and before the doctor got there. The nurses said he had low blood sugar but when I looked up the numbers online after I got home, they seemed to be low-normal, not really low.
#101 of 114 Old 02-20-2009, 07:26 PM

41w 3d

First/only child

Anything past 42 weeks our mw would not perform birth at home. So as week 41 dragged on, we were getting pretty desperate. The mw only suggestion natural methods of induction, though (eg. sex, walking, castor oil, etc.) and we tried them all. We actually have pictures of the "induction hike" where I am crawling up the VERY steep hill on my hands and knees.

LMP - we never even had an ultrasound.

Nope - she was definitely overdue (something to do with the labia development, I think the mw said).

Me read.gif, Kenny REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, Liv blahblah.gif, Evie baby.gif, & brokenheart.gif
#102 of 114 Old 02-20-2009, 10:18 PM

1.) How many weeks were you when baby was born? 42 weeks exactly according to O date

2.) How many previous births and were they "overdue" as well? All 4 of them...but they were all induced so I cannot survey about them.

3.)Did your care provider - if you had one - push any techniques to "move things along?" If so, what and when was this brought up? How did you react? What was your thought process in deciding how to proceed? My midwife talked about things we could start doing when I was ready, but it was up to me. She did not push at all and wouldn't even discuss opyions with me until at least 41 weeks. I never did try anything (nipple stim, herbs etc) as I didn't feel ready to at the time.

4.) What information was used to date the pregnancy (LMP, ovulation kit, U/S, etc.) O date

5.) When baby was born was there evidence that supported or called into question the dates? (EG baby's weight; presence of lanugo or heavy vernix; dry, peeling skin; loose or stained skin; abundance of hair; placental abnormalities; hypoglycemia?) He had peely skin that indicated he was "overdue" but other than that everything else was "normal". He was only 7lbs 8oz...I just cook them long.

Kim, Wife to Michael, Homeschooling Mom to Hannah (13), Aidan (12), Brighton (8), and Oliver (5) and Ephraim (2) goorganic.jpgsaynovax.giffly-by-nursing1.giffemalesling.GIF 
#103 of 114 Old 02-21-2009, 12:29 AM

How many weeks were you when baby was born? 41.5

2.) How many previous births and were they "overdue" as well? first birth
3.)Did your care provider - if you had one - push any techniques to "move things along?" If so, what and when was this brought up? How did you react? What was your thought process in deciding how to proceed? my back up MD pushed induction made me sign a paper accepting possible fetal death or c-section if I didn't induce due to "post dates" My non stress test was fine baby very active the whole time so I left AMA. My midwife was completely supportive and stripped my membranes at my request I had a lovely fast homebirth that night!
4.) What information was used to date the pregnancy (LMP, ovulation kit, U/S, etc.) lmp,date of conception,ultrasounds. I disagreed with my MD's "due date"

9 pounds even, no water, old placenta, peeling skin,enlarged nipples but a healthy baby.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#104 of 114 Old 02-23-2009, 11:55 AM
Say

41w, 3 days.

This was my first.

I was very, very stressed as I was having a planned homebirth with a midwife and after 42 weeks I would lose her under the provincial guidelines. I did not want to have an induced labour in a hospital! Once I hit week 40, when she made any suggestions to encourage labour, I eagerly went along with them. I did not feel 'pushed' in any way. She encouraged me to walk, have sex, take blue cohosh, evening primrose oil and drink raspberry leaf tea. I did all of these things. She offered to strip my membranes at toward the end of week 40, but I hadn't dilated so we didn't try it. I think the walking, the cohosh and the raspberry leaf tea were the most effective.

LMP. Ironically, at my 14 week ultrasound (which was my first us), they tried to convince me that I was 10 days further along than I thought, which was impossible since my husband and I had been long distance while he finished school.

She weighed 7lbs. 2 ounces, had a full head of hair, some lanugo on her back but there was very little vernix. There was a little bit of meconium in my amniotic fluid too. She was definitely ready to be born.

She presented sunny side up (posterior), which in retrospect helps explain why I went late, and why my labour was so slow (84 hours, all back).
#105 of 114 Old 02-23-2009, 06:59 PM

Ok this post could get long. I have had 7 "overdue" or post dates babies I will answer the questions for each birth because each was different. All my babies had calcified but HUGE placentas. None were hypoglycemic. None had lanugo. None had stained skin, none had meconium.

Baby #1
1.) How many weeks were you when baby was born? 42 weeks

2.) How many previous births and were they "overdue" as well? First baby

3.)Did your care provider - if you had one - push any techniques to "move things along?" If so, what and when was this brought up? How did you react? What was your thought process in deciding how to proceed? MW had me do black and blue cohoshes as well as castor oil. Did not work. I was anxious to get the pg over with as I was having wierd symptoms.

4.) What information was used to date the pregnancy (LMP, ovulation kit, U/S, etc.) LMP

5.) When baby was born was there evidence that supported or called into question the dates? (EG baby's weight; presence of lanugo or heavy vernix; dry, peeling skin; loose or stained skin; abundance of hair; placental abnormalities; hypoglycemia?) There was no vernix, she had peeling skin. She didn't have much fluid and was 7 lbs exactly. Very healthy. Had Apgars of 10 and 10 and my mw said she never gives a 10.

Baby #2

1.) How many weeks were you when baby was born? 42 weeks

2.) How many previous births and were they "overdue" as well? Previous 42 weeker

3.)Did your care provider - if you had one - push any techniques to "move things along?" If so, what and when was this brought up? How did you react? What was your thought process in deciding how to proceed? I declined any and all "natural" induction methods.

4.) What information was used to date the pregnancy (LMP, ovulation kit, U/S, etc.) LMP

5.) When baby was born was there evidence that supported or called into question the dates? (EG baby's weight; presence of lanugo or heavy vernix; dry, peeling skin; loose or stained skin; abundance of hair; placental abnormalities; hypoglycemia?) She didn't have any peeling skin but no vernix. The dr dated her as 41 weeks upon delivery. She was 8.5 lbs.

Baby #3
1.) How many weeks were you when baby was born? 42 weeks 2 days

2.) How many previous births and were they "overdue" as well? 2 previous 42 weekers

3.)Did your care provider - if you had one - push any techniques to "move things along?" If so, what and when was this brought up? How did you react? What was your thought process in deciding how to proceed? Yes. But one of my mws other clients lost a baby to late onset GBS when I was 41 weeks 2 days. She lived only a few miles from me and I was a mw apprentice at the time and did her prenatal care. Fear set in so we went for BPP and tried castor oil and the cohoshes again. Ended up using arom to start labor. Due to back up concerns - the backup could have dropped my mw if I didn't do what the back up wanted.

4.) What information was used to date the pregnancy (LMP, ovulation kit, U/S, etc.) U/S early on as I had not had a pp af before getting pg.

5.) When baby was born was there evidence that supported or called into question the dates? (EG baby's weight; presence of lanugo or heavy vernix; dry, peeling skin; loose or stained skin; abundance of hair; placental abnormalities; hypoglycemia?) He had a tiny bit of vernix in the creases of his armpits.

Baby #4
1.) How many weeks were you when baby was born? 41 weeks 6 days

2.) How many previous births and were they "overdue" as well? 3 previous 42 weekers

3.)Did your care provider - if you had one - push any techniques to "move things along?" If so, what and when was this brought up? How did you react? What was your thought process in deciding how to proceed? MW strongly pushed for induction and threatened to drop me at 42 weeks. I did castor oil twice. Black and blue cohoshes. Enema. Everything. Castor oil ended up working. Labor was terrible. I dehydrated and passed out twice after the birth.

5.) When baby was born was there evidence that supported or called into question the dates? (EG baby's weight; presence of lanugo or heavy vernix; dry, peeling skin; loose or stained skin; abundance of hair; placental abnormalities; hypoglycemia?) Nothing that I recall. He was perfect.

baby #5

2.) How many previous births and were they "overdue" as well? 4 previous 42 weekers.

3.)Did your care provider - if you had one - push any techniques to "move things along?" If so, what and when was this brought up? How did you react? What was your thought process in deciding how to proceed? Yes, Black and Blue cohoshes and membrane stripping. I refused any castor oil. She dropped me when I didn't go into labor. Dh called her when I was in labor and she did come out and "fudged" the charts.

4.) What information was used to date the pregnancy (LMP, ovulation kit, U/S, etc.) Ovulation since I was charting.

5.) When baby was born was there evidence that supported or called into question the dates? (EG baby's weight; presence of lanugo or heavy vernix; dry, peeling skin; loose or stained skin; abundance of hair; placental abnormalities; hypoglycemia?) This is my only baby that was covered in vernix.

Baby #6
1.) How many weeks were you when baby was born? 38 weeks 6 days according to paper work. More like 42 weeks

2.) How many previous births and were they "overdue" as well? 5 previous 42 weekers.

3.)Did your care provider - if you had one - push any techniques to "move things along?" If so, what and when was this brought up? How did you react? What was your thought process in deciding how to proceed? No because I wasn't even due yet.

4.) What information was used to date the pregnancy (LMP, ovulation kit, U/S, etc.) date of + pg test and thats it. We were not sure of my due date since I had no pp af before getting pg. So we just went with the + pg test day as 4 weeks. It became obvious soon enough that I was much further along but my mw decided to ignore that since all my others were 42 weeks. I felt movement at 13 weeks and I never feel it till 16 weeks. I was measuring beyond huge. Looking at the pictures from that pg I was the same size as with my other pgs a mos further along. I also recalled nipple pain and ms starting weeks before I got my +.

5.) When baby was born was there evidence that supported or called into question the dates? (EG baby's weight; presence of lanugo or heavy vernix; dry, peeling skin; loose or stained skin; abundance of hair; placental abnormalities; hypoglycemia?) Obviously post dates.

Baby #7

2.) How many previous births and were they "overdue" as well? 6 previous 42 weekers.

3.)Did your care provider - if you had one - push any techniques to "move things along?" If so, what and when was this brought up? How did you react? What was your thought process in deciding how to proceed? Nothing and I would have declined all natural induction methods.

4.) What information was used to date the pregnancy (LMP, ovulation kit, U/S, etc.) Conception date since I was charting and a corresponding u/s that confirmed my date (w/i 5 days, which is the margin of error for a 1st tri u/s).

5.) When baby was born was there evidence that supported or called into question the dates? (EG baby's weight; presence of lanugo or heavy vernix; dry, peeling skin; loose or stained skin; abundance of hair; placental abnormalities; hypoglycemia?) Dated to be exactly 42 weeks 2 days.

I have since learned that doing something for the sake of someone else and not because of evidence can be very harmful. I was more concerned with loosing a mw than what the effects on my health could have been. My mw was more concerned with her license than what effects induction had on me or my baby. I am not broken. I do not need to be induced because I carry my babies for a long time. I will never sacrifice my health and safety or that of my childs ever again for the sake of someone else. Even "natural" induction can have consequences.

Expecting #9.  Always busy hsing.
#106 of 114 Old 02-24-2009, 03:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

0. However, my mother birthed all 5 of us between 40 and 43 weeks and my sister was induced at 40 but probably would have gone at least a few more days, or so it seemed.

Nope. My midwife is very crunchy and doesn't even recommend natural techniques unless there is a good reason. In fact, at 41.4 weeks I had an ultrasound to check out everything (my midwife referred me out to one of the local hospital programs just for the u/s) and the u/s tech freaked because he wasn't responding much to her poking and jabbing. She brought in a doctor who did the same thing and they told me to go straight to the birth center for immediate induction. My heart broke right then and there. That was the last thing I wanted. When my mom and I got into the car (she just happened to get off work early and decided to go with me) I told her I thought we should go home and call my m/w first and she agreed, saying how all her babies slowed down and didn't react as much when she was in early labour (which we were pretty sure I was since the night before - something I even mentioned to the u/s tech and was quickly dismissed). We went home and called my m/w who agreed with us but wanted to run it by her backup physician to be safe. We all agreed that I was most likely in early labour and if I didn't go into active labour by the next morning that I would induce naturally. Well, my water broke around 11:00-11:30 that night, active labour picked up a couple contractions after that, and he was born at 5:21 the following morning, a beautiful waterbirth, all on my own terms. I can't imagine what would've transpired if I didn't have my midwife.

U/s because my LMP definitely didn't seem right. What the u/s determined better fit what I was thinking anyways.

His weight was 8.10 (seems just right to me), placenta looked great (I still remember the look on my then 6-year-old niece's face when my midwife showed it to her and was telling her all about what parts do what), the only thing was he had a fair amount of vernix, but nothing that concerned us in the least.

- Emy . Single mom to DS nut.gif Ezra (15.12.05), angel2.gif Thames (reincarnated 18.04.08) and DD rainbow1284.gif babyf.gif Allora (11.02.11) and dog2.gif Hoppylactivist.gif  novaxnocirc.gif  waterbirth.jpg fambedsingle2.gif bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#107 of 114 Old 02-24-2009, 04:00 PM

41+2 days

This is my only child

Yes,but not because of dates.My blood pressure was going up.She suggested membrane stripping.I thought that was safer than having a baby in a hospital due to high blood pressure so I agreed.It wasn't really pushed on me though.It was presented as an option.

Date of conception.I told the midwife when my daughter was conceived and we went from there.She never questioned it.

No.

#108 of 114 Old 03-06-2009, 01:01 PM

1: 41 + 5

2: My one previous pregnancy was SROM at 37 +5 with baby not born until 36 hours later. With #2 we were expecting an early delivery which made those extra 4 weeks interminable.

3: Used LMP (we do NFP so pretty sure about dates)

4: WE did try everything in the days after my due date (everything but castor oil - yuck!). Nothing worked though and eventually we just stopped trying to make it happen and let baby decide. Once I made that decision I was in a much better place mentally.

5: He was not big (7#15), but he didn't have any vernix and his hands and feet were red and peeling. He was definitely ready - though I don't think "overdue."
#109 of 114 Old 03-09-2009, 04:48 PM

41+4

1st baby

I had a practice of 3 hospital-based CNMs. The official hospital policy was routine induction at 42W. One MW said to me, "So are you going to let us induce you on Monday?" Before I could even answer she said, "Well, I went to 43 with one of mine & it was fine." I took that to mean that she personally disagreed with routine induction at 42W!

I did however ask for a membrane sweep. Ctrx started 2 hours later, & 6 hours after that he was born!

LMP, an U/S to confirm pregnancy at 8 weeks, another US at 22 weeks.

5.) When baby was born was there evidence that supported or called into question the dates?
Nope. He was probably exactly 41W4D. No lanugo, no vernix at all, but not the least bit wrinkley. He was 7#4oz.
#110 of 114 Old 03-14-2009, 03:58 PM

The birth story is linked in my signature...the 2007.

Two previous - babies came at 39+4 and 40 on the dot (and our next baby after this one came at 38+4)

Didn't have one...just a supportive midwife-trained friend...who was only reassuring to me as I got antsy

I chart, and knew LMP, ovulation and conception dates exactly. No U/S.

Baby was 7lb 6 oz (my largest, but right on track with the other two); he was not a "post-dates" appearing baby, but "perfectly cooked."

6.) Any comments on baby's position - either prior to labor, during labor, or at birth?
All normal, vertex, OA.

Midwife and mama in the Valley of the Sun
#111 of 114 Old 04-01-2009, 09:29 AM

Went into labor at 41 +1, baby born at 41 +4.

First birth.

My providers were CNM's at a freestanding birth center, and they assured me that, as a first-timer, they expected me to go into labor slightly after 41 wks. They were right on. I did a lot of hiking and long walks every day to try to encourage labor, but that was all.

I knew exactly when I conceived, based on charting, even though I had a very long cycle that month. My original CNM didn't think I knew my stuff and sent me for an ultrasound at 8 wks for dating purposes. The u/s confirmed that I was right within one day! (Good thing too, otherwise she would have been setting me due date for 3 wks before what it really was).

She was 8# 11 oz, had some lanugo in the fluids and on her body, no peeling skin, but did have long fingernails. They told me she looked like a typical 40-weeker even though she was 41 +4 wks by dates.

6.) Any comments on baby's position - either prior to labor, during labor, or at birth?

She was ROA all through labor, and was born ROA.

(FWIW, I did have a 700-800 ml postpartum hemorrhage after having her, which they thought was related to my uterus being worn out from a 3-day labor. My midwife this time wants me to try some "natural" methods to get labor going before my due date, in order to try for a smaller baby/shorter labor that won't tire out my uterus so much. But we're just talking sweeping membranes, EPO, RRL tea type stuff, not medical induction.)

(Also, I was a 42-weeker myself, and my mom was a 10#, 43-wk vaginal breech. Going postdates is pretty common in my family)

“War is peace.
Freedom is slavery.
Ignorance is strength.”
― George Orwell, 1984
#112 of 114 Old 04-22-2009, 11:34 PM

Please copy/paste your birth story or link to it if it's online. Either is fine. Also please address the following questions:

Baby 1 (B1): 41 exactly, B2: 40, 5 days by LMP, 41 by ultrasound @ 6 weeks due to bleeding.

Just these two, but also family history of births at 41 weeks on my and Dh's side.

Yes, at 41 weeks w/#1 due to low amniotic fluid and measuring small, though baby seemed well. Because of the low fluid we agreed to sweeping membranes at 40.5 weeks. B2 with same midwife nothing was used because I was measuring larger so no reason to have a late ultrasound or suspect low amniotic fluid.

B1: LMP, 3 / mo ultrasound (corroborated exactly), B2: LMP, 6 week ultrasound (u/s dated her earlier by 4 days)

B1: No, looked 41 weeks, B2: Some signs were late but overall midwife gave her a 39-week appearance

B1: Breech for some time but turned weeks before labor, B2: Moved a lot but was often posterior up until birth. Both positioned well overall.

I was annoyed at 40.5 weeks with #2 when my mother finally asked her mom how long SHE went, and her mom said she went 41 weeks with 6 out of 7 kids. COULD HAVE USED THAT INFO SOONER FOR PLANNING, thanks . (Own mom did not remember how long she went.) Sorry for abbreviated post, must get back to kids, good luck w/your survey!

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
#113 of 114 Old 04-25-2009, 12:20 AM

Hi there!

1)42 weeks exactly
2)This was my first birth
3)My hb midwife had me start taking black and blue cohash root at 7 days past EDD. At 10 days I went to the hospital (at her recommendation) for a stress test and some other test. Of course they wanted to induce, but I trusted my midwife that all was well and returned home. I did do castor oil on day 11, methinks, to no effect. I wanted to try everything. The hospital people did freak me out a bit, though deep down I knew I trusted my body and my midwife. But we had tons of sex and spicy food, also to no avail!
4)Only the date of my last period was used to date the pregnancy.
5)The babe was 8lb 12 oz at birth, with plenty of vernix, butno lanugo (as I recall), no problems.
6)'twas back labor, so I guess she was sideways!
#114 of 114 Old 07-10-2009, 02:07 PM

Bumping so I can come back and post.

Mama to 2 year old and :: June 14th!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page