What Was The Best Memory You Have From Your Birth? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 76 Old 10-28-2008, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have come to the belief that a woman can have an absolutely beautiful birth no matter the circumstance. I think a huge part of that is choosing to enjoy your birth and giving yourself a list of things you'd like to experience/do while in labor.

While I labored with ds2, I had a long list of things that I did that were great memories. I'll share one:

DH played guitar in the bathroom while I stood in the shower and sang (and I sang through my contractions- or at least tried to- at 6cm!)

I want to have tons of ideas for my clients so that they can have an absolutely beautiful birthing experience, whether they have a very minimalist birth at home, or end up in the operating room.

Please share! Even if you felt your birth wasn't everything you'd hoped it would be, dig deep down and find that happy memory.
#2 of 76 Old 10-28-2008, 07:18 PM

One of the best memories from my birth was when my midwife told me that the last birth she attended was for a goat. Laughter and joking made my birth the beautiful experience that it was!

Take care,
El
#3 of 76 Old 10-29-2008, 12:00 AM

I have to say actually getting to experience labor to the fullest extent before my second c-section was my best birthing memory. Eventhough, my DD2 got stuck in a bad position and we transferred to the hospital I was so thankful to feel labor. I would do it a hundred times over even if it got me the same results because it is such a benefit to both mom and baby.

Oh, and having a doula and my prenatal care at home with my DEM.

Appalachian mountain woman, radical homemaker, homeschooler, childbirth educator, and doula loving her DH and three powerful little femmes. Deladis 8-4-05, Ivy 4-28-08, and Gweneth 7-21-12 HBA2C! hbac.gif  -  blogging.jpg ribboncesarean.gif

#4 of 76 Old 10-29-2008, 01:33 AM

We didn't find out the gender of our babe ahead of time, so for me the best memory will forever be looking down and taking my baby in my arms and finding out we were the proud parents of another beautiful boy.

Elizabeth wife to Matt , mom to Logan (2/21/01) , and little man Desmond (9/23/08)

Mourning the loss of her father: Robert Edward Dillon 5/31/52 - 01/03/2011

#5 of 76 Old 10-29-2008, 01:37 AM

Feeling DS2's head as he was about to crown was simply amazing. It just took my breath away.
#6 of 76 Old 10-29-2008, 01:57 AM

For me the best memory of my birthing was the peace and quietude. My midwives stayed in the room next to where I was birthing and could tell that I was birthing just fine without them and gave me all the space I needed. I felt very respected in that sense and felt connected to them in knowing that they were ``gatekeepers`` and helped guard the space I created for my birthing. I needed to be in the hospital so this was all the more important. I called my midwives into the room as I was pushing my daughter out and they came and helped me reposition myself and brought my baby to my chest. We all lay on a mat on the floor(midwives included) of the bathroom where I birthed. It was dark, and loving and peaceful and just right. No one spoke, the baby never cried. It just felt like a real spiritual high. I owe it to my midwives who did an amazing job `listening` to me, the mother, and helped protect the birth environment that I needed. No rational discussions about time and gender and all that stuff. No barking orders no nothing. Just love. Finally, one of the midwives asked after a few minutes if I was going to check and see if I had a boy or girl. The whole birth was very powerful and yet gentle. So my best memory is the whole process and being able to hold my daughter, undisturbed and untainted by other people. That I was allowed to go deep into my primal self without ever being teased out of it.
#7 of 76 Old 10-29-2008, 11:46 AM
g&a

after she was born and laying on my tummy she kicked and it was funny because that's where she was kicking me on the inside. It was like "I really have a baby!" I kept trying to uncover her to see her and the midwife kept covering her up to keep her warm. I was so glad that I got to hang on to her for a while.

Nothing IN labour actually stands out, though. It's a bit of a blur - only lasted an hour.

g.

Canadian mama to A (C/S May 2004) and R (induced VBAC Dec 2007) expecting #3 in July.  Currently obsessing over permaculture, photography and beekeeping.

#8 of 76 Old 10-29-2008, 12:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
DS's birth was a coerced C-section after very little labor, so there wasn't a lot of good stuff about it. I do remember, though, when XH came over to my head carrying the bundle that was DS. He had tears in his eyes and I asked if he was ok. He looked at me and could barely choke out, "I have a son." It was my favorite memory and I'll never forget it.

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
#9 of 76 Old 10-29-2008, 01:10 PM

The only good thing from my first birth (other than my son and I surviving) was being surrounded by family that cared.

Second birth, my deep moaning while rocking into the sofa (think the noise a vacuum makes!), making the nurse run out of sheer fear I'd give birth before we got to a room, and the feel of my baby's head desend and when I finally got to touch him.

bf.jpg Sami brokenheart.gif, wife to jammin.gif, mama to reading.gif Tate 10/14/05, moon.gifKaleb 12/17/07, angel.gifcandleflicker2.gif Bram 3/13/10-11/17/12, mischievous.gif Alden 2/1/12, pos.gif October 2014
 homeschool.gifvbac.gifuc.jpg 

#10 of 76 Old 10-29-2008, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastkygal View Post
I have to say actually getting to experience labor to the fullest extent before my second c-section was my best birthing memory. Eventhough, my DD2 got stuck in a bad position and we transferred to the hospital I was so thankful to feel labor. I would do it a hundred times over even if it got me the same results because it is such a benefit to both mom and baby.

Oh, and having a doula and my prenatal care at home with my DEM.
I completely agree with you 100%. I had both of my labors end in cesarean, and I've had so many people ask me if I was upset that I didn't just have a c/s and forgo the pain. I'm like- what are you talking about!!!! I wouldn't trade in my experiences laboring for a million years!

I'd like to ask this. For those of you that did have cesareans, what was your best experience during the surgery? Cesareans can be beautiful births also. I think that we get down on ourselves because things didn't turn out the way we wanted them to, but that doesn't mean your birth is any less important.

While I was in surgery with ds2, the team was incredibly thoughtful. I explained to them prior to going into surgery my fears from my first cs (and I was of course heartbroken that my hbac turned cesarean). They put in my Janis Joplin's greatest hits cd in the OR. My doula and I sang to the songs while I was being operated on. DH held my hand. It was beautiful.
#11 of 76 Old 10-29-2008, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by studentmidwifemama View Post
For me the best memory of my birthing was the peace and quietude. My midwives stayed in the room next to where I was birthing and could tell that I was birthing just fine without them and gave me all the space I needed. I felt very respected in that sense and felt connected to them in knowing that they were ``gatekeepers`` and helped guard the space I created for my birthing. I needed to be in the hospital so this was all the more important. I called my midwives into the room as I was pushing my daughter out and they came and helped me reposition myself and brought my baby to my chest. We all lay on a mat on the floor(midwives included) of the bathroom where I birthed. It was dark, and loving and peaceful and just right. No one spoke, the baby never cried. It just felt like a real spiritual high. I owe it to my midwives who did an amazing job `listening` to me, the mother, and helped protect the birth environment that I needed. No rational discussions about time and gender and all that stuff. No barking orders no nothing. Just love. Finally, one of the midwives asked after a few minutes if I was going to check and see if I had a boy or girl. The whole birth was very powerful and yet gentle. So my best memory is the whole process and being able to hold my daughter, undisturbed and untainted by other people. That I was allowed to go deep into my primal self without ever being teased out of it.
That gave me goosebumps. How beautiful. That's how everyone should be respected while they're birthing.
#12 of 76 Old 10-29-2008, 01:44 PM

I have a lot of great memories, but here are two triumphal ones from my two hospital births:

With DS, first baby and trying to get to the hospital as late as possible. When the MW told me I was 9 cm, I yelled out "I rock!"

With DD, second baby, I was induced for medical reasons, but had no other meds. After an hour and a half of serious contractions, I was feeling like I needed something else to help me cope - I was thinking saline injections, getting in the tub, etc. My doula got the MW to come check me (who rolled her eyes and didn't believe anything much had happened....). Apparently the MW (who is great - very experienced, protective of moms and babes and birth - and sometimes crotchety - not the type of person you think you're going to surprise) checked me and held out her spread-out hand twice to signal to my doula and the MW apprentice that I was 10 cm. Then she said "Do you feel just a wee bit pushy, my dear?" Man, was I THRILLED to hear those words. And it brings me a chuckle every time to think I surprised this MW, who has seen a lot and is not surprised by much anymore.
#13 of 76 Old 10-29-2008, 01:45 PM

With ds1-the power of being able to push out a baby was the coolest,most empowering feeling!"I did it!!!" I was 20 and had an unheard-of homebirth.It was a pinnacle moment in my life.

With dd1-I reached down and felt her head as she crowned-I wasn't sure I could handle such an intense moment.It was amazing!

With dd2-The bond as I brought her to my chest-we both had had a long,hard labor and we both knew it,and were glad we made it.

With ds2-I liked that the mw and her assistant sat on the sofa and let me and Dh birth in our own space and time.We touched ds first, and I was less crowded as I lifted ds out of the water to my chest.

With my mc last Christmas, I was amazed at this beautiful world comming out of me-that my body made such a nice, soft,beautiful place for this baby while it was here.

:::
#14 of 76 Old 10-29-2008, 04:27 PM

ds1-just the fact that i was giving birth at all. i was only 17. the concept was very werid for me

ds2-the fact that i was pushing ds out with not help. ds1 took long long pushing and a "vacuum". i was determined not to ever use one of those again. and i didn't!!

ds3-my first look at my son! he looked JUST like my husband! this was my husbands first biological child, and he looked just like him. i was so happy.

dd1-my favorite memory was when dd was placed on my belly and i looked at her and realized that i had my daughter!! that moment will forever be imprinted on my brain. i felt so lucky to be holding my very own daughter!

If i were to have anyother, big IF, then I hope to do a natural home birth. So my next favorite memory will hopefully be of me feeling the strength that i gave birth "on my own"

nurse, mama, doula-in-training to J-14, J-13, S-7, S-4, and P-2(born at home)
#15 of 76 Old 10-30-2008, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Bump!
#16 of 76 Old 10-30-2008, 11:45 PM

With my older son, the moment he came out. Hands down. His birth was very hard, very long, and there aren't a ton of good memories. But when his head and shoulders were out, they told me to "take my baby." I put my hands under his arms and pulled him up onto my chest. For a moment, he was inside of my body and I was holding him on the outside. And then suddenly, there was this warm, wet little being on my chest. I'll never EVER forget how that felt.

With my younger son, a majority of his labor/birth were positive. Moments like my DH putting his head on my belly and crying. Being in transition in the birth pool and thinking about random things (I actually had a song in my head, too) And feeling the natural high between contractions. Throughout my entire pregnancy, I kept telling my husband to remind me not to fight the contractions. I told him that when I got to a moment of doubting myself, to tell me "Don't fight it." I did reach a point of being scared, right before he was born and my body began pushing. At the exact right moment, leaning on my husband in the birth pool, he whispered "It's okay, don't fight it." Into my ear.
#17 of 76 Old 10-31-2008, 02:06 PM

With DD it was the laugh that broke my water. I love that my DH can make me laugh like that!

With DS it is three memories-- the grass between my toes during labor, and how calming that felt. DH and DD cutting the cord, and arriving home from my MW's at 1 AM, not even 12 hours later, in total peace with the knowledge that I had just had my HBAC!!!! and now I had my baby boy!
#18 of 76 Old 11-02-2008, 12:41 AM

Punky was a planned cesarean due to her crazy breech position. I was terrified, and it was all so awful. But I remember DH saying, "I see a foot... there's another foot!" It was the moment we became parents, and it is a precious memory.

With Squidge an idiot radiologist had told us she might have Down Syndrome. I remember seeing her face and knowing he was wrong. It was oddly bittersweet- for half my pregnancy I mentally had two babies in my belly, one with Down Syndrome and the other without. Does that make sense? Even though it was a huge relief to know Squidge wouldn't face those challenges, I also grieve for that other baby who will never be.
#19 of 76 Old 11-04-2008, 08:48 PM

Since you asked specifically, my very favorite memory from the birth of my daughter via c/s was hearing her cry for the first time. I could hear her on the other side of the sheet before I saw her, and it was the most beautiful sound I've ever heard.
#20 of 76 Old 11-04-2008, 10:24 PM

[QUOTE=Doula Dani;12487246]I have come to the belief that a woman can have an absolutely beautiful birth no matter the circumstance. I think a huge part of that is choosing to enjoy your birth and giving yourself a list of things you'd like to experience/do while in labor.

I like the premise and the question you are asking (for good birth memories) but I can't agree that any birth can be made into something positive... births that were usurped, women who felt violated, victimized, and even mutilated... when that happens, it is healing to be able to admit what actually happened and be angry, feel your feelings about it. Then, eventually, one can perhaps find something about it, but maybe not. I don't think anyone should be pressured to paint a silver lining on things when they have been mistreated. So no, I can't agree that a woman can have an absolutely beautiful birth no matter the circumstance. She can, if, regardless of circumstance, she feels respected, and that her choices are respected. She can't, if she is made powerless and bullied.

By the way, my HBAC is full of good memories. Hard ones too, but good ones enough to last the rest of my life. One that stands out is my 3 yo DD squealing in excitement "I see the baby's head!"
Mostly it isn't a moment in particular that was wonderful about that birth. It was that I felt private, powerful, safe, and free to labor as I felt like, and birth as I felt like, without being manhandled, directed, or interfered with. The bone-deep sense of rightness is the best lingering memory, aside from my large, strong, lively son when I first saw him.

Urban Homesteader, secular homeschooler, HBACer, sewing cloth maxipads, reading Diana Gabaldon, (rhymes with 'cobblestone') hoping for a Star Trek future rather than a Firefly one.
#21 of 76 Old 11-04-2008, 11:43 PM

I'd been in labor for a bit over twelve hours when things slowed down so DH and I went for a walk together around the block to get things going again. It was so beautiful and sunny (in January!) with just a bit of cool breeze. That was our last walk together with just the two of us and it was so beautiful.

Loving DH geek.gif, raising DS1 learning.gif(01/08) and DS2 bfinfant.gif(10/10), caring for cat.gif x 3 .
#22 of 76 Old 11-04-2008, 11:56 PM

I gave birth to our second at home and in water. My favorite moment was reaching down after I had pushed her head out and feeling her soft hair waving in the water. She was in between worlds and I was the only person to have touched her!

With our first daughter my partner gave birth in a hospital with midwives. She was very close to having a cs when our daughter shot down the birth canal! As my wife pushed the MW asked if I wanted to touch her head. It was the sweetest moment to finally touch the little girl I had been falling in love with!

Used to be stay at home parent to our two lovely girls, survived nursing school with family intact, about to graduate and looking for a job! I low-supply nursed my bio daughter for 3 years. 

#23 of 76 Old 11-06-2008, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

I know there has been some controversy over the fact that I believe you can find the beauty in all births. I'm sorry if that upsets those who have struggled. My first birth was traumatic. I can separate the parts that made me angry and abused (and there were many) from the parts that were beautiful.

A couple of beautiful memories from my first birth:

My best friend sat and ran her fingers through my hair while I labored in the tub. (She always does that when I'm upset and it felt nice and comforting).

After my son was birthed via cesarean, they allowed dh to hold him directly behind me right after he was born. I kept fainting, but everytime I came to, I was so excited that my first baby was here. I kept making dh hold ds up to my face so I could kiss him.
#24 of 76 Old 11-06-2008, 05:08 PM

For me, the best part was the amazing intensity of LIFE I felt.

Connected with my mother. With all women. With my baby.

Out of my own head and body in a way.

It still brings tears to my eyes.

Babybel 8/5/08. Growing her sister: ***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36**40*
#25 of 76 Old 11-06-2008, 05:24 PM

When I had #1 my mom says it's a boy! And the Dr. says it's not a boy it's a girl and I said " My Ella!" With #2 I looked into his eyes and knew the name we choose was definitely his and I fell in insta-love.
#26 of 76 Old 11-07-2008, 12:18 AM

With my ds1 in the hospital it was probably the 1st time I got to hold him and breastfeed him. It was then that I really began to feel connected to him. I think he was about an hour old. With my UC baby, it was after I caught him and clutched him to me. I felt so happy and joyful to be holding my lo at last! Our connection was strong and almost instantaneous.

nak.gif Mommy to fencing.gifKai 2/03, hammer.gifCaden 1/08, energy.gif Kara 10/09, angel1.gif 3/21/13, &

rainbow1284.gif baby.gif  Cole 2/3/14 ♡ Happily unmarried to geek.gif Papa since 2002 ♡

~We may not have it all together  but together we have it all~ uc.jpgsaynovax.gifgoorganic.jpgintactivist.giflactivist.gif 

#27 of 76 Old 11-07-2008, 12:51 AM

Baby #1 - discovering we had a girl
Baby #2 - laboring outside in the dark on a rainy night smelling rain forest
Twins - waking up in labor and having a peace wash over me knowing that everything was going to be OK

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#28 of 76 Old 11-07-2008, 03:00 PM

DS1 - Feeling the first tiny sliver of his head peeking out of my body with my fingers.
DS2 - My husband's shocked announcement: "It's a boy. ... It's a BOY?!?!" (We had been convinced we were having a girl.)

Married 6/16/01 ~ WOHM to DS1 4/29/06 and DS2 2/13/08 ~  ALMOST an RVT ~ dog2.gif dog2.gif goldfish.gif

#29 of 76 Old 11-13-2008, 07:18 PM

DS1- When I was in the birthing tub in our bedroom, my labor had stalled when his head was out. It took everything I had, after 21 hours of labor, to push without contractions. I was wailing,screaming,grunting when my MW yelled to me and said, "Hold your mouth and use your push".
I knew what she meant.
I closed my mouth and directed all my pressure down. Like popping a cork, he came out. All 9 lbs12 oz.

He was a beautiful white whale, swimming up to me.

All I could see was hearts. His nostrils, his lips, his big cleft chin. All hearts.

DS2- My 42 weeker C/S. I loved that my midwife was in the OR with DH & I. She said she would be "my eyes". She relayed everything to me as DH took pictures. DS2 was born and he was so big and strong and healthy. He was a whopping 10bs 14oz. DH said the Dr. kept pulling and pulling and pulling him out!

DD1- A planned RC/S. I loved when she came out, I had them tell me 3 or 4 times that she was a girl. I couldn't believe it. I was sooooo happy.
#30 of 76 Old 11-13-2008, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter

I love these stories so much!! I want to encourage those of you with beautiful moments to share to visit this thread:

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=997321

Let your story live on forever and inspire other women!!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page