ALERT: Bob Sears promoting retraction-by-doctor on MDC - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 06-19-2011, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Can someone way more knowledgeable than I am regarding circ please go over to his Expert area and check out some of his posts?  First off, I can't believe that they let him actually describe how he performs loose circs to save boys who would otherwise be cut too short by other, less intactivist-y doctors.  Second, I can't believe he's allowed to post about his opinion that it's ok for a doctor to gently retract a boy to see how far back the foreskin goes (he admits to not having studies or research to back up the practice).  And third, I can't stand how he repeatedly spells circumcise and retractable wrong, but that's probably not too important.  :)

Bring back the old MDC
#2 of 13 Old 06-19-2011, 05:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I just checked with the admins and the new guidelines in the forum state
Quote:
The expert forums are intended to be in a direct question and answer format between the member posting the question and the expert. These forums are not for community participation so the only exchange of posting in thread will be between the member and the expert.
So my suggestion would be to PM the OP if you want to give more information. Sorry about that! He does give an explanation later in the thread about it.

And, I'm going to admit, that I frequently us spell check with I spell circumcise (I always want to spell it with a z) and I've been modding this forum for quite awhile! I'm so ashamed! redface.giflol.gif

#3 of 13 Old 06-19-2011, 05:26 PM

Also, feel free to invite the OP over to the TCAC forum. smile.gif

#4 of 13 Old 07-04-2011, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Even if members can't have the discussion on that thread, I think that Mothering staff, Peggy O'Mara, and Marilyn Milos need to have a behind-the-scenes conversation with Dr. Sears. This is so fundamental to Mothering's message.

broodymama, Pirogi and Turquesa like this.

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#5 of 13 Old 07-09-2011, 09:10 AM

(edited to add, and obviously was in a hurry and didn't realize this was an older thread.... I didn't see it so it must be buried a bit) 

Feel free to use this old thread and the resources I provided:

http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/718856/i-ve-got-a-live-one-here-doctor-re-education

http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/761568/aap-and-gentle-retraction-for-exam

and I guess I cannot edit or reply to the old posts, but my update is that he has more parents with intact sons in his practice and I have not been the only one who brought this up.  So he has changed his practice a bit.

Can we pm Dr Bob?? . To get him some info, etc?

Is MDC actively removing/warning about posting there???  I know I've seen a few other threads where there was a lot of info before and 'expert' got around to asking it and it was appreciated.

How about  as a quick compromise.... post a quick reply suggesting this issue comes up often and is actually quite often discussed here and suggesting it would be a good topic for a future Ask the Experts discussion- that way we would be respectful of the forum guidelines, but able to get the op to the forum for help and maybe also get more dialogue on the subject-- and  Peggy, Marilyn et al.  

Unfortunately, this was my last 'stop' here and I have to go...  (edited to add, and obviously was in a hurry and didn't realize this was an older thread.... I didn't see it so it must be buried a bit) 

Jessica

Jessica..lady.gifintactlact.gif Falling in love all over again..... 
Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura
#6 of 13 Old 07-09-2011, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessjgh1 View Post

(edited to add, and obviously was in a hurry and didn't realize this was an older thread.... I didn't see it so it must be buried a bit) 

Feel free to use this old thread and the resources I provided:

http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/718856/i-ve-got-a-live-one-here-doctor-re-education

http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/761568/aap-and-gentle-retraction-for-exam

and I guess I cannot edit or reply to the old posts, but my update is that he has more parents with intact sons in his practice and I have not been the only one who brought this up.  So he has changed his practice a bit.

Can we pm Dr Bob?? . To get him some info, etc?

Is MDC actively removing/warning about posting there???  I know I've seen a few other threads where there was a lot of info before and 'expert' got around to asking it and it was appreciated.

How about  as a quick compromise.... post a quick reply suggesting this issue comes up often and is actually quite often discussed here and suggesting it would be a good topic for a future Ask the Experts discussion- that way we would be respectful of the forum guidelines, but able to get the op to the forum for help and maybe also get more dialogue on the subject-- and  Peggy, Marilyn et al.  

Unfortunately, this was my last 'stop' here and I have to go...  (edited to add, and obviously was in a hurry and didn't realize this was an older thread.... I didn't see it so it must be buried a bit) 

Jessica

There are guidelines for the experts forum, but at this moment they are fluid as we are still trying to work them out. The current guidlines state that the conversation should take place between the expert and the OP. But like I said they are fluid. If you are concerned or want to answer a question you see that has not been answered, feel free to PM the OP with the information or invite them to whatever forum is most fitting. If you have questions regarding the guidlines in the expert forum, the Q&S forum would be the best place to ask to make sure an admin sees it.

#7 of 13 Old 07-09-2011, 01:14 PM

Shoot, I forgot to address something in your post! At the moment, I'm just leaving messages on threads to remind people of what the guidlines are. No warnings or anything like that.
Quote:
How about as a quick compromise.... post a quick reply suggesting this issue comes up often and is actually quite often discussed here and suggesting it would be a good topic for a future Ask the Experts discussion- that way we would be respectful of the forum guidelines, but able to get the op to the forum for help and maybe also get more dialogue on the subject-- and Peggy, Marilyn et al.

I don't have a problem with that! smile.gif

Sorry! I checked wth the admins and I was mistaken. The forum is only to be posted to by the expert and the OP.

#8 of 13 Old 07-09-2011, 04:18 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

I read an ATE post which contained inaccurate information. I posted a question in Q&S asking what I should do. Cynthia Mosher said I could email feedback@mothering.com or the expert directly or both. I did both. Got an acknowledgment from Cynthia but no feedback on the action taken and heard nothing from the expert. I'm still trying to decide whether to contact the person who asked the original question directly.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#9 of 13 Old 07-09-2011, 11:12 PM

QOTM
Understandable- but what about posts that seem timely- and don't get a response? Or is that not the case now? I know ppl were jumping in with something to try to be helpful

( are questions approved b4 posting?)

Gotta check it out more, I took a peak pretty early on and that was what was happening- but it's been a while

Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura
#10 of 13 Old 07-09-2011, 11:38 PM

Oh and what about after the questions are answered they go back into the general pool?
It just seems like there's a lot of good info that's going to be separated from the bulk of the forum community.

Should I post this as a suggestion?

#11 of 13 Old 07-10-2011, 05:46 AM

Quote:

QOTM
Understandable- but what about posts that seem timely- and don't get a response? Or is that not the case now? I know ppl were jumping in with something to try to be helpful

( are questions approved b4 posting?)

Gotta check it out more, I took a peak pretty early on and that was what was happening- but it's been a while

I brought this up, and it's an issue that is currently being addressed. I'll let you know as I get more information. Questions in the ATE forum don't go through and approval process. They should appear as soon as they are posted.
Quote:

Oh and what about after the questions are answered they go back into the general pool?
It just seems like there's a lot of good info that's going to be separated from the bulk of the forum community.

Should I post this as a suggestion?

Yes, I would definately take that to the Q&S forum.

#12 of 13 Old 07-10-2011, 03:03 PM

Thanks-- there's a lot of good stuff there and I think it would be great to share the wisdom.

Will try to make the suggestion... 

Jessica

#13 of 13 Old 07-15-2011, 06:53 AM

The "gentle" retraction Sears talks about is a new examination technique. It uses just enough force (a fraction of an ounce) to put a little tension on the foreskin in order to determine whether or not the foreskin is retractable (partial or full), has physiological phimosis (normal), or pathological phimosis. The force applied is not enough to cause tearing or damage. This technique comes from two articles by a Canadian doctor McGregor et al. in the articles listed below, which have photos of this being done. 

Having said all that, there is no reason to do this. It is done as part of a neonatal or perinatal examination. It's just checklist item on a chart that doctors do in order to justify them being involved in the birthing process. The problem is that one person's "gentle" force is another person's ham-fisted, damaging forced retraction. It might be justified if the infant is referred to a pediatric urologist for a problem, but never as something that OBs, Peds, or parents do as a matter of course. 

McGregor TB, Pike JG, and Leonard MP. Phimosis—a diagnostic dilemma? Can J Urol. 2005;12(2):2598-602.

McGregor TB, Pike JG, Leonard MP. Pathologic and physiologic phimosis: approach to the phimotic foreskin. Can Fam Physician 2007;53:445-448.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page