Ways to distribute circumcision information? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 37 Old 08-15-2011, 11:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

You want an honest reply?  I think joining a board simply to try to disseminate information about one issue is kind of tacky.  I hate when women do so on MDC or the other dicussion forum I frequent.  It doesn't show that you care about the people you are talking to or want to know anything about their lives, you just see them as a group to preach to. 

It's hard to believe that you were truly just researching (as you said on the site that you were) when in reality you were just trying to share information.  If sharing information was your actual intent (as you say here that it was), then just be up front about that. 

Elizabeth - Doing life with Scott partners.gif

SAHM to Evelyn - my crazy little Celiac (4) energy.gif Annabelle (2)  love.gif and Abraham (born 6/20) buddamomimg1.png
adoptionheart-1.gif  Follow our journey  mdcblog5.gif

#32 of 37 Old 08-15-2011, 11:13 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.” (Gandhi)

This is how I see the intactivist movement progressing. Folks are not laughing anymore, they are in fact getting really irked and extremely angry, so hopefully that means the tide is about to turn and we can one day move past this awful social injustice.

#33 of 37 Old 08-15-2011, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrunchyChristianMama View Post

You want an honest reply?  I think joining a board simply to try to disseminate information about one issue is kind of tacky.  I hate when women do so on MDC or the other dicussion forum I frequent.  It doesn't show that you care about the people you are talking to or want to know anything about their lives, you just see them as a group to preach to. 

It's hard to believe that you were truly just researching (as you said on the site that you were) when in reality you were just trying to share information.  If sharing information was your actual intent (as you say here that it was), then just be up front about that. 

I appreciate your perspective... But I don't agree at all. I think a discussion board is (or should be) a place where a discussion can take place!  Instead of hostile attacking, use of profanity, and just plain rudeness.  In this case, a very valid issue (circumcision) was introduced by asking questions..... and "research" was never mentioned .... and a discussion could not be facilitated due to inappropriate behavior on the part of some of the participants.  Sadly, there were some who did want to discuss the topic, but privately messaged that they were feeling that they couldn't see that happening due to a few members that were more aggressive.  What a shame!  If a discussion could have been possible, it could have provided some interesting dialogue where these moms could have evaluated what they knew and discussed new information.  It could have been a great opportunity for learning and ultimately led to possibly saving a few more baby boys.  Now that would have been wonderful!  However, the good news is that I have opened the door to at least a few moms who did want to know more and have offered them to contact me should they want more information.  So tacky?   I don't think so!  Do I care?  Absolutely.

#34 of 37 Old 08-15-2011, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-man's Mama View Post

“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.” (Gandhi)

This is how I see the intactivist movement progressing. Folks are not laughing anymore, they are in fact getting really irked and extremely angry, so hopefully that means the tide is about to turn and we can one day move past this awful social injustice.

Very insigtful!   And I DO hope that is exactly what is happening.  Anger is a symptom of someone who doesn't have the facts behind them and that is very frustrating for them, and that is exactly why they lash out and feel they have to attack.  I don't like personal attacks, I just want to share information and experiences because I believe this is where true enlightenment will come from.  When people can put aside their defensiveness, and look into their heart, then they can get to the place in their heart that they are not acknowledging .  Anger and hostility are defense mechanisms and are sometimes used to protect oneself when feeling vulnerable.  This is why I know that although some of those moms were trying to act tough, in reality they probably are not so tough.  Instead of striking back, I just have empathy for them and feel good that I stirred something within them that they can't ignore.  thank you.

#35 of 37 Old 08-16-2011, 08:13 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Mare54-
I have removed your references to other forums. Discusing other forums for adverserial purposes can cause board wars and is not something we want to host. Also, unless you have gotten permision from the people whose responses you were quoting, that is a copyright violation.

#36 of 37 Old 08-16-2011, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

sorry.... I should not have referenced the actual site, I wasn't thinking about that.  I was caught up in sharing a responses that were shocking to me and I wanted people to know exactly what the responses were. I'll be more careful in the future!

#37 of 37 Old 08-16-2011, 11:17 PM

Location: A state whose Medicaid does not cover circumcision! :)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

OP I love what you are doing and have wondered this myself, I too am wanting to do something similar.

I grew up a Jehovahs Witness, and they are always leaving their brochures, magazines and other literature where there are other magazines such as in laundromats, waiting rooms, bathrooms, etc.  They just take it out of their purse or pocket, start reading it, and then just set it down and leave it.  Or if no one is around then they just set it there lol.

You could also put some of them with other pamphlets in offices like WIC offices/waiting areas, at the court house, community health centers, etc.  At these places where I live, there is always a wall full of different pamphlets on things like vaccines(the "benefits" of course), womens health, etc.  I have even seen pamphlets in Walmart.  So you could just take over one of the slots with your pamphlets!  Oh now I am feeling inspired, I want to do this where I live!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page