URGENT! AB 768 and HR_2400 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-30-2011, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hey all! I am a Canadian so I can't help. I don't know the details but these two bills are trying to prevent people from banning male circumcision. Also in these bills it states that circumcision is medically beneficial, which we know is not true. So you need to contact your senator.

So AB 768 I believe only affects California. Check out this website for details about what you can do:

http://www.bayareaintactivists.org/node/38

So HR_2400 is Federal Bill. Check out this website for details:

http://www.restoringtally.com/blog/2011/07/federal-anti-anti-circumcision-bill-hr-2400-religious-and-parental-rights-defense-act-o

Remember to contact your senator even if his or her name is not on the list.

Also check out this website:

https://www.popvox.com/bills/us/112/hr2400

#2 of 4 Old 08-30-2011, 08:59 PM

this was the post i just made on that site:

Your Comment

I oppose H.R. 2400: Religious and Parental Rights Defense Act of 2011 because...

this issue became clear to me as I recently gave birth to a set of boy/girl twins. folks asked throughout the pregnancy & after the birth if I was going to circumcise my son. (in part because I am jewish) Yet those same folks would have recoiled in horror if I said I was going to circumcise my daughter.

So I started thinking & wondering why we as a country have passed laws to protect our little girls from what is called genital mutilation, but allow & even assume that we will do a very similar procedure to our little newborn sons.

I decided that my son deserved the same protection as his sister got. Neither of them were circumcised & we are still so glad that we stood up for them.

I responded to questions about my plans, about circumcision, once I was in the hospital with The simple statement each time "Nope, Neither of my babies will be circumcised, thank you." The initial look of confusion was often replaced by someone finally "getting it", my twins certainly opened some eyes about equality that week.

Circumcision is a human rights violation, not a parenting choice.

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#3 of 4 Old 10-04-2011, 11:52 PM

Basically, circumcision is the operation of removing part or all of the foreskin which covers the glans of the penis. The minor case of circumcising dates back to prehistoric times, and so this is one of the oldest operations performed by men. A while ago, I was able to browse another site which was entitled "California law bans prohibition of male circumcision". California Gov. Jerry Brown signed AB 768, a bill that prevents community governments from enacting rules that ban male circumcision. AB 768 is but one of many bills that passed Brown's desk this weekend, reports the LA Times. I believe all of us have different opinions about the procedure. Some supported the bill, however others remonstrated the reform. Whatever the reason may be, circumcision must be voluntary not compulsatory.

#4 of 4 Old 10-05-2011, 07:14 AM

Volience against innocent baby boys should never be voluntary. It should be illegal, just like it is for little girls.

And a law that simply prevent other laws from getting brought to a vote are circumventing the legal system of the land, it's just a underhanded way to maintain the status quo.

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page