hospital door banners? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 08-31-2011, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

hi... i think when this babe is born, which will be in hospital, i want to make a little welcome sign for the door that says something about him staying intact, hoping that will inspire other people who might be making that crucial decision right about then. 

has anyone done this?

any advice on the wording?  i don't want to be show-offy or offensive, just peaceful and sweet. 

tia! 

eta: if this should be moved to intactivism, please help!  but it might be nice to get opinions from some of the mamas here who did circ so i know what might be a kind way to phrase it, too...

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 08-31-2011, 02:11 PM

I'd say talk to the hospital/nurses first to see if it would be allowed.  I've heard of parents putting a note on the bassinet, but not a sign on the door.  Who would you be trying to educated (I'm just curious)? It's not really that likely that other mothers there are going to be walking around the halls looking closely at the other patients doors, so, if it's something to notify those who visit you, you could make something to hang inside your room.

Otherwise, I don't really have any advice on wording - but I'm sure others will. 

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#3 of 12 Old 08-31-2011, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer's Wife View Post

I'd say talk to the hospital/nurses first to see if it would be allowed.  I've heard of parents putting a note on the bassinet, but not a sign on the door.  Who would you be trying to educated (I'm just curious)? It's not really that likely that other mothers there are going to be walking around the halls looking closely at the other patients doors, so, if it's something to notify those who visit you, you could make something to hang inside your room.

Otherwise, I don't really have any advice on wording - but I'm sure others will. 

eh, when i had my first birth at that same hospital, and people hung all kinds of ridiculous nonsense on their doors.  i thought i might throw some propaganda of my own on there.  and for the record, we walked up and down those stupid halls and looked at all the door banners since we were there for so long with a c birth.  i read lots of religious birth greetings and genderiffic things in pink and blue, too.. this will be rainbow, that much i know, but do you folks think that's tacky?  in light of the fact that everybody else hung stuff at least 2 years ago...

#4 of 12 Old 08-31-2011, 10:32 PM

As long as it is allowed, I think you have a pretty neat idea.  You never know, but you might just make someone think twice about circumcision. 

#5 of 12 Old 08-31-2011, 11:59 PM

Interesting that people took time to decorate doors - I guess I noticed do not disturb signs when I worked in a mother and baby unit, but not much that was more exciting. I did walk around, eventually, after all 4 of my c-sections but I must have been in too much pain or in a fog to take note of other doors.

Thinking about it, I guess it would be better to say something about being a proud parent of a baby boy who is NOT circumcised vs. something about being intact, just b/c many people might not know what that means at a quick glance. I'm not sure what would work to make me think about it, personally, since there was never even a question about leaving my 3 boys intact. Maybe some quick statistics bulleted ? Hey, you could write a website address on a bunch of little strips of paper hanging off for more info - like you see on job ads or babysitting services. LOL. Of course, if the new mom just had a boy, it could be too late, but you never know.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#6 of 12 Old 09-01-2011, 12:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I worked in OB for 10 years and yes, people put a ton of wreaths, banners, "stuff" all over their doors. Stuff like this: http://cristysbabywreaths.blogspot.com/ and this - http://www.etsy.com/listing/71056828/custom-boutique-baby-wreaths-birth . Our gift shop even sold wreaths with "praying bears" with folded hands what said a prayer when you pushed a button. So, I don't know why you couldn't put up some pro-intact message. Maybe something simple and to the point like "born perfect, no circumcision required" or " Baby's intact, no need to retract - www.NoCirc.org", you get the idea.

I also hope you'll buy or print some NoCirc, Intact America or DrMomma cards/pamphlets to leave around the maternity waiting room. It never hurts and people are always looking for something to read in there!

Good luck!

Mom &  RN   intactivist.gif
Pardon the typos - CWOK (cat walking on keyboard)   signcirc1.gif

#7 of 12 Old 09-01-2011, 06:22 AM

I would think that the most important thing would be to protect your son from an unwanted circumcision. Babies are still mistakenly circumcised in hospitals. Remember the news stories about Mario Vera last year in Florida?

#8 of 12 Old 09-01-2011, 01:03 PM

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_ArlSmig39LI/TJUi3hDzSnI/AAAAAAAAAeE/4Bt-cZYNCEI/s1600/solicitors.jpg 

I designed a hospital door sign that's a little different than what you are talking about- mine says "No Circumcision Solicitors" and then some other text under it.  I was inspired to make the sign because I was asked multiple times if I was going to be circumcising my first son and even though I had no trouble saying no- I found the constant asking to be extremely emotionally upsetting and I think that hospitals should stop doing that! The implied endorsement is unethical and I don't think maternity staff should be put in a position to drum up business for circumcisers.

#9 of 12 Old 09-01-2011, 01:52 PM

I like the one that suggested "Born Perfect, No Circumcision Required".  I think that might get some attention and maybe some questions too, who knows?  As for the Circumcision Solicitors, you could just make a sign to put on the baby's plastic crib that says, "NOT CIRCUMCISING, PLEASE DON'T ASK!", then if they don't pay attention and do ask, you can just point to your sign and say nothing.  Maybe they would take the hint!  As far as the idea for bringing pamphlets or cards to the hospital, why not?  It's always good to have that information available, wherever you are.  I keep information in my car and in my purse, because you never know when an opportune moment will arise, and I want to be prepared.  Good Luck to you!

#10 of 12 Old 09-01-2011, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

people ask repeatedly?  that's just nuts.  when we were pregnant with dd, we didn't find out the sex and were talking with the ob before any anatomy scan would have shown anything, and we kind of laughed at the idea- and i told the ob that dh is not circ'ed.  i thought the ob was the only person with an interest in circing?  i wonder if putting it in the birth plan (which we did before) could keep the ?'s from happening, too. 

yes, i'll leave some materials around while i'm there, too.  i like the "born perfect" idea. 

#11 of 12 Old 09-03-2011, 05:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Moving this to intactivism.

#12 of 12 Old 11-28-2011, 11:43 AM

Here is a link to some high quality graphics. If you want more or something custom - message me.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/62185301@N04

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page