Illinois Medicaid - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-21-2012, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Now that I'm nearing the end of my midwifery education, I want to eliminate Illinois public aid from paying for circs.  IL is in a huge financial crisis.  Recently, there has been a lot of talk on what programs to emliminate b/c our medicaid program is in severe debt.  Of course, circ stays - but we'll probably cut funding to nursing homes.

Where can I start?  Besides writing to my representatives, who else can I contact?  How do I get the contact info?

Any other suggestions?

Janel ~ wife and mother of 4, L&D RN, midwifery student
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2012, 10:29 PM

I wish I knew.  I would love to stop funding in TN as well.

Old 05-08-2012, 07:01 PM

And I think one way to approach it is to look at the neighboring states (and maybe even the bordering Canadian providence(s)) and compare. Such and such states in our region have ceased funding on non-therapeutic circumcision of non-consenting minors and (if you can find out) list their savings. If not, compare the number performed per year in your state to the amount covered. I bet you could call the medicaid line and get the reimbursement information.

intactivist.gifwinner.jpg fambedsingle2.gif  learning.gif homeschool.gif buddamomimg1.png gd.gif delayedvax.gif selectivevax.gif  supermod.gif (Yeah right)

angel3.gif loss 2/28/03           photosmile2.gif  ds 1/5/08             asl.gif dd 2/8/10

When we know better, we do better. ~Maya Angelou 

Old 05-08-2012, 07:02 PM

Where can we find out if our state funds this "procedure"?

ETA: NM, mine does :(

intactivist.gifwinner.jpg fambedsingle2.gif  learning.gif homeschool.gif buddamomimg1.png gd.gif delayedvax.gif selectivevax.gif  supermod.gif (Yeah right)

angel3.gif loss 2/28/03           photosmile2.gif  ds 1/5/08             asl.gif dd 2/8/10

Old 05-09-2012, 05:55 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treece View Post

And I think one way to approach it is to look at the neighboring states (and maybe even the bordering Canadian providence(s)) and compare. Such and such states in our region have ceased funding on non-therapeutic circumcision of non-consenting minors and (if you can find out) list their savings. If not, compare the number performed per year in your state to the amount covered. I bet you could call the medicaid line and get the reimbursement information.

With Canadian provinces it's easy: I don't think any of them cover it. Remember the Canadian healthcare system more closely resembles those typical elsewhere in the developed world, as opposed to the for-profit-based U.S. system (which is probably one of the contributors to the high circ rate).

Kelly, a man who is proud to be intact!
Old 05-27-2012, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K703 View Post

With Canadian provinces it's easy: I don't think any of them cover it. Remember the Canadian healthcare system more closely resembles those typical elsewhere in the developed world, as opposed to the for-profit-based U.S. system (which is probably one of the contributors to the high circ rate).

I saw a map somewhere that showed that when the reimbursement dipped below $50, circ rates dropped.

User Tag List