Mothering Forum banner

nursing toddler...

1K views 38 replies 25 participants last post by  ThePottersDaughter 
#1 ·
I nursed DS through my last pregnancy and an additional 6 mo after DD was born - so he was 2.5 when I weaned him. I know the ups and downs / pros and cons...and realize that every situation and experience is unique, but I cant help but think about what I will do this go around. DD is 14 months now, DS was a month older when DD was conceived, so similar spacing...but she already eats much better than he did at this age. I guess I kind of hope she will self wean in the next few months, but I don't know likely that is. Not looking forward to the inevitable night weaning and setting restrictions, but the pain may dictate that. Anyone in the same boat - any thoughts are welcomed...

#4 ·
My DH is really pushing for me to wean our 2.5 year old, but I'm waffling. I'm not sure how I feel about tandem nursing, but I also think weaning is going to be a nightmare. I'm hoping he decides to wean himself before it becomes an issue, even though I realize that is probably unlikely.

#5 ·
Ditto wchstrmama! This is us too! Well, sort of. My DH isn't really pushing me to wean, but he has mentioned it a few times. DS has dropped nursings drastically (only a few times a week now), but when he wants it, he really wants it! I'm not opposed to continuing, except for the fact that it's already getting very physically uncomfortable.
greensad.gif
My nipples are super sore and sensitive already and it's not fun times for me.

#6 ·
My last pregnancy was one I nursed through. It wasn't too bad, but I probably will not do the same thing this time. My youngest is only about 1 1/2 but he eats a TON more solids than my other kids did at that age, and he is far less attached to nursing. He's dropped his nighttime nursing, and really only nurses once or twice a day now. Frankly while I rationally know that encouraging him to nurse for another few months is ideal, I don't think I have the energy. :)

#7 ·
Your DS sounds similar to mine, Panonim. DS only nurses occasionally now and has actually forgotten/not asked to nurse several times this past week (very unusual for him) but I'm still skeptical he'll wean on his own without a big push on my part. When he does want to nurse, he can be very needy.

#8 ·
Hi Nursing Moms, I just got an early BFP yesterday, still nursing my almost 2yo DS. He has been sick the last few days so I'm not sure if that is why he's asking to nurse ALL THE TIME, or if it's because my supply is already taking a dive, I guess it could be a combination? I'm hoping he starts spacing out his sessions, because I'm already finding it a bit more uncomfortable. When we started trying I really wanted to tandem nurse, but I guess I'm feeling more zen about it if he ends up self weaning, though I keep going back and forth between encouraging him to continue or encouraging him to wean. I don't think he'll stop anytime in the next few months anyway because he's really attached to nursing. We shall see.

#9 ·
DD is 2.5 and still nurses a little during the day(night nursing stopped at 8 months). I'm just going to keep nursing and see what happens. I'm open to tandem nursing and I've already started talking to DD about sharing "boob"(what she calls nursing) with the new baby and how the baby will need it more because he/she needs it for food. She doesn't quite understand that a baby is coming yet, but I think once I start showing she'll understand a little better. My nipples are a little sore, but it's honestly not nearly as bad as it was when DD first started teething and would literally scrape her teeth on my nipples. If she weans, she weans and if she doesn't, then I guess I'm tandem nursing! Sorry I'm not much help. GL with weaning if that's the route you decide to go!

#10 ·
Very similar situation here. Worried that I might not be able to handle tandem/pregnancy BFing my 23 mo DD. I'm open to trying, mainly because when I try to distract her when she is asked to nurse, she gets very upset! We will see what happens...

When do some of you begin to experience the discomfort with nursing? I am just a few weeks right now and wondering when that will start.

#11 ·
Im currently nursing my 10mo DD and am 7wks pregnant with #8. She shows no signs in wanting to wean, and I am not thinking of stopping at this time. She does eat solids, but is very petite, only about 13lbs and I am her only "drink source", she doesnt take a sippy or bottle. My supply does tend to get lower as my pregnancy progresses, so she may self wean if she feels she's not getting enough. I have nursed a small one thru most of my pregnancies without difficulty. I have tandemed a few times, but it seems like the older nursling self-weans pretty soon after the new babe arrives. Not sure if it is the colostrum, change in flavor or what. It can be rough on the body to tandem, but weaning before they are ready is even tougher. When #7 was born #6 was 16 months old and he had his last nursing session the morning his baby sister was born. Never asked again, and he now says it'a "Boo's Milk" when he sees her nursing.

I wish you the best of luck in whatever you decide is best for you. You should feel very proud that you have given your LO a great start in life by nursing for as long as you have. Do what feels right to you and it will be the right choice!

#12 ·
My DS is finally over his illness and I'm feeling more confident that I want to tandem nurse.. My nipples have been getting way more sensitive the last few days (4wks 4 days) . I'm finding that the right side is worse for some reason, but it's only painful after he latches and then dissipates. I really don't feel like I could force him to wean, I just feel like I need to distract and encourage spacing out the sessions a little more (as he was asking several times an hour last week as well as all night long, this week 4-6 times a day and he's not asking to night nurse). It's nice to know some other moms have been there. I know a few other moms irl who have nursed a newborn and a toddler and they swear it's the most helpful thing ever for sibling rivalry/ exhausted mom. My husband is supportive of my decision as well, so that's really nice. I guess sometimes I just need to give myself a little pep talk. I forgot how tired I was during the first tri last time and now I'm doing it with a toddler.

sweet_tart I think it's way cool you have a big family. I'm trying to talk my dh into 5 kids, but he's not really enthusiastic about the idea. Have you always wanted a bigger family?

#13 ·
I'm nursing a beyond toddler--my 6 year-old! Just barely though. Probably less than a minute most days. He is very grown up in some ways, and I think that is the time he gets to be a little guy. He really has no interest in stopping and my sense is it is good for him, so I don't want to rush him. But he said he didn't get milk in one side yesterday and today, so I'm afraid it will dry up. I'd love to give him the heads up that I am pregnant and that might happen, but if I tell him he will tell the world and I'm neither ready for that nor do I think he is quite ready to not tell.

My nipples are also very sensitive, so the latch on is painful but then it dissipates. I wonder if that is the body's way of encouraging us to stop--though I had the same experience when he was a newborn, so it just maybe be what happens when that area is growing and changing.

#14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamatoD View Post

My DS is finally over his illness and I'm feeling more confident that I want to tandem nurse.. My nipples have been getting way more sensitive the last few days (4wks 4 days) . I'm finding that the right side is worse for some reason, but it's only painful after he latches and then dissipates. I really don't feel like I could force him to wean, I just feel like I need to distract and encourage spacing out the sessions a little more (as he was asking several times an hour last week as well as all night long, this week 4-6 times a day and he's not asking to night nurse). It's nice to know some other moms have been there. I know a few other moms irl who have nursed a newborn and a toddler and they swear it's the most helpful thing ever for sibling rivalry/ exhausted mom. My husband is supportive of my decision as well, so that's really nice. I guess sometimes I just need to give myself a little pep talk. I forgot how tired I was during the first tri last time and now I'm doing it with a toddler.

sweet_tart I think it's way cool you have a big family. I'm trying to talk my dh into 5 kids, but he's not really enthusiastic about the idea. Have you always wanted a bigger family?
Being a mom is all I've ever wanted to be. We never really "planned" how many children we would have, just figured we would know when our family felt complete. Right now they are 12, 11, 8, 6, 4, 2, and 10mos. (4boys, 3 girls) We feel pretty sure that with this last babe our family will be complete. Once we had 3 there wasnt any noticable differences in our family lifestyle. Best of luck to you!

#15 ·
I am nursing my 26 month old as I reply. It is already quite painful. He rests his top teeth on my nipple and leaves deep teeth marks. He loves nursing, so I'm not pushing weaning, but I am not loving the pain. Anyone have any suggestions on how to fix his latch? It was uncomfortable before pregnancy...now...major ouch!

#16 ·
I'm still nursing my 26 month old, he'll be 2 months shy of 3 when #2 is born. We nightweaned back in November but it's still a slippery slope and he would love to nurse as much as I would let him. I don't want to wean him but I also don't want to nurse him like a newborn.... not sure what we'll do, I see myself cutting back but I wont' completely wean him until he wants. I'm more curious to see how it goes, no pain or anything yet.... only 5weeks though

#17 ·
Hi there! I am 6 weeks pregnant and nursing my 26 month old DD. We night weaned a couple weeks ago with the hopes that she would start sleeping through the night, night weaning was successful the sttn was not! Anyways, Right now I am feeling open to tandem nursing. DD nurses 4 or 5 times a day,unless she isn't feeling well or something. She does ask more than that and I normally ask if she wants a food snack instead because I think she forgets sometimes that she isn't going to get full from nursing! My breasts we very sore during my last pregnancy, but so far they are fine, I am actually suprised how darn small they are! Waiting for them to start being painful. I finally started feeling tired yesterday, so we will see when breast tenderness creeps up. Part of me wonders if DD will self wean. My MIL said that my DH weaned at 18 months when she got pregnant with his brother because he didn't like the taste anymore. I think at 26 months it is more comfort than anything else. I always ask if she got milk and if it tasted good and she says yes! Good luck everyone!

#18 ·
I agree that at 26 months it's more for comfort than getting 'full' - at least it is in our case, and that's why I really don't want to stop nursing DS. He has barely nursed the past two days and now I'm wondering if it's related to the pregnancy (I'm only 5.5weeks though) or if it's just a normal phase, it made me really sad today when he REFUSED to nurse and instead laid down in his bed and went to sleep... most moms would be happy about that! I just wanted to snuggle up and nurse him though! If all goes well I'll have a little one to nurse that won't be able to run away from my snuggles
winky.gif

#20 ·
Last time, I nursed my then-4YO throughout the PG and until he decided to stop at 6.5 or so. He was nursing mostly just in the morning, sometimes when he was sleepy during the day or at night. There was a period where, though it didn't hurt, it was extremely irritating. He was pretty understanding about it and would agree to limit his nursing to shorter sessions when I needed it. (I didn't tell him it was irritating, though.) This time, I have a 2.5 YO and she nurses quite a bit still. I am not even considering weaning her. She will stop when she is ready.

#22 ·
I am nursing my 24 mos old and have no interest in tandem nursing. My dd weaned at 34 mos when I was pregnant with ds. She was able to understand, though, when I told her that my milk may go away and one day she announced that "the baby drinked it all!" and we were done. My son, not so much. I only night weaned him about 2 mos ago. He is perfectly happy to nurse all.the.time. Even though he eats a lot. I also work full time, so, I really don't want to be juggling two when I get home from work. I am hopeful he will wean early in this pregnancy.

#23 ·
I nursed DS in the start of my pregnancy with DD... he was almost 2, and I weaned him down to twice a day (before nap and before bed) I wasn't sure whether I wanted to tandem nurse or not... I thought if we had an established routine I would be able to cope, even if I didn't like it (or it would be easier to wean him if he was already nursing less) or if I found it comfortable, then I could start to offer more again after the baby was born. Then I got a throat infection and had to be on antibiotics, which were okay for nursing but said he might have tummy troubles, so I started asking him if he wanted to nurse or have a story when I laid down with him (he's 9 and still asks me to read a story at bedtime), and he chose a story every time! He ended up being weaned several months before she was born.

#24 ·
Just wanted to chime in here. This will be the third pregnancy I have been nursing during.

With the first DD was 14 mos when I got pregnant and I tandem them for over 2 years

As soon as I weaned DD I got pregnant with DS2 I think DS1 was around 29 mos or so. I tandem nursed both DS's until DS1 weaned in December. I plan to tandem nurse again.

#25 ·
I would shy away from pushing weaning. As soon as I weaned my kids they got sick within a month or two. You do not want to have to deal with a sick toddler and pregnancy or a newborn. Also, it is good to have someone to nurse when you are going through that engorgement period with a newborn. Most moms produce more milk than there bodies know what to do with, having that toddler to nurse is such a relief and does a much better job than a breastpump.

My kids were down to nursing at bedtime when I was going through pregnancy. It did get very painful at times but my son weaned shortly after his sibling was born. I am thankful we had that time.

#26 ·
my son nursed through my last pregnancy and then we tandem nursed for a year. for me, the "dry nursing" that comes along with late pregnancy is way worse than tandem nursing. ugh, that was really difficult. my nearly two-year-old daughter, is nursing now and i plan to continue through this pregnancy - but, she's already unhappy with the changing quality of her milk. there have been a lot of "no's!" from her at "mo-ma" time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.