What aren't you giving up? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 45 Old 05-12-2011, 07:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I cannot give up my candy, including chocolate. I have been off coffee and alcohol since my last pregnancy (my daughter is now 2) and I will not give up my candy, it is all I have left. smile.gif

After this baby is born though I am having a nice glass of wine!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 45 Old 05-12-2011, 07:54 PM

For those of you whose midwive's recommend wine and beer what is the rationale? I would love a reason to have a sip now and again!

#33 of 45 Old 05-12-2011, 08:31 PM

I have given up alcohol and caffeine, though still having a bit in chocolate. No soft cheeses was killing me when I had a nice hunk of brie in the fridge! I gave that away mother's day weekend, so at least it's not sitting there tempting me. I still haven't figured out what the deal is with deli meats - does that mean no Hawaiian pizza tomorrow night? I'm working pretty hard on uping my protein intake, eating more eggs and greek yogurt and cottage cheese. Plus fresh fruits and veggies! Thank goodness it's coming into summer, when all of those things are super appealing to me anyway!

I'm Heather, newly married (12/5/10) to James! partners.gif
We are currently "mama" and "papa" to Maisy cat.gif and soon... parents to BABY NEW YEAR 2012!! babyf.gifWe're happily planning a h20homebirth.gif and intend to femalesling.GIFbfinfant.gifdiaper.gif

#34 of 45 Old 05-13-2011, 07:57 AM

Heather if your avoiding lunch,e it's to avaiod listerea and tnats killed buy cooking so you can have hot lich ,eat assuming its been cook hot enough forlong enough some women microwave it
#35 of 45 Old 05-13-2011, 08:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by futuremamaheather View Post

I have given up alcohol and caffeine, though still having a bit in chocolate. No soft cheeses was killing me when I had a nice hunk of brie in the fridge! I gave that away mother's day weekend, so at least it's not sitting there tempting me. I still haven't figured out what the deal is with deli meats - does that mean no Hawaiian pizza tomorrow night? I'm working pretty hard on uping my protein intake, eating more eggs and greek yogurt and cottage cheese. Plus fresh fruits and veggies! Thank goodness it's coming into summer, when all of those things are super appealing to me anyway!

Assuming the deli meat is going on the pizza before the pizza gets cooked, you should be fine.  I think that it has to be heated to 165 degree for two minutes to kill the bacteria that is dangerous for pregnant women.  Don't quote me though...You can probably easily google it. 

#36 of 45 Old 05-13-2011, 10:33 PM

Thanks for the lowdown on the lunch meats - I decided that ham that cooked for 30 minutes at 375 was safe :-)

I'm Heather, newly married (12/5/10) to James! partners.gif
We are currently "mama" and "papa" to Maisy cat.gif and soon... parents to BABY NEW YEAR 2012!! babyf.gifWe're happily planning a h20homebirth.gif and intend to femalesling.GIFbfinfant.gifdiaper.gif

#37 of 45 Old 05-20-2011, 07:34 AM

what am I not giving up?

yoga - am not supposed to do for the 1st trimester, but love the quiet breathing so much (and really no research to justify giving up for 3 months)

coffee - can't get out of bed without a cappucino

sushi - I think it is ok - in this country it is the law that all fish used for sushi needs to be frozen before sold..

sweets - chocolate, licorice,... yum

curiously with the morning sickness I have started to crave the foods I ate as a kid - is anyone else experiencing something similar?

#38 of 45 Old 05-20-2011, 11:53 AM

yogimum--yes, very simple things like grilled cheese sandwiches make me happy right now! 

I was really missing my weekly yoga class and finally went to a prenatal class at 9 weeks, but many of the ladies in there were 36 weeks + so it wasn't quite my speed...I went to a medium speed/restorative class the next week and really enjoyed it and will probably catch a full-on vinyasa class tomorrow! Just staying away from deep twists , navasana, etc.

#39 of 45 Old 05-20-2011, 02:29 PM

I am giving up raw sushi, deli meats, albacore tuna, alcohol except for sips less than the equivalent of one drink.  I am giving up exercise for now only because I am too sick to do it.  I am NOT giving up coffee, and not even really cutting back as I'm supposed to.  I am not giving up artificial sweeteners since Diet Coke is a big part of my life. 

caffix.gif  Mom to DS (8/31/04) and DD (11/30/07), EDD 12/15/11!!!
#40 of 45 Old 05-20-2011, 04:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by futuremamaheather View Post

Thanks for the lowdown on the lunch meats - I decided that ham that cooked for 30 minutes at 375 was safe :-)

hahaha! yes, that sounds pretty safe to me too :)

#41 of 45 Old 05-28-2011, 07:23 PM

I eat whatever ;)

creative crunchy christian wife to J stillheart.gif, Mama to three boys and one baby on the way!  chicken3.gif  doula in training love.gif

#42 of 45 Old 08-13-2011, 07:52 AM

I was born in Denmark where salty liquorice is really popular and that is my downfall although I have cut back to 1 piece of candy a week as I read some research that suggests that it can be bad for the baby, it's not conclusive though.

Everything in moderation is the best.

I'm a big candy fan but I try to be smart about it. I eat plenty of fruit and veg throughout the day, I've never drank coffee, stopped drinking diet sodas because of the sugar substitute, I don't eat deli meat/soft serve ice-cream/soft cheese/raw fish because having lived in Indonesia for 2 years I know what it feels like to get food poisoning and I don't want to go through that again. As its so hot right now I try to drink plenty of water.

I hate how when you start researching stuff not to eat there's tons of fear inducing information out there, when really you just need to be logical and still enjoy eating!eat.gif

#43 of 45 Old 08-13-2011, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

I still drink caffeinated tea.  Not sure how bad that really is.  My blood pressure tends to be very, very low --- during my last pregnancy, my OB jokingly encouraged me to start drinking coffee to raise my bp.  

I don't eat sweets, but that's because they make me gag a bit still.  As for the rest of it?  I eat what I like and what makes me feel good.  

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#44 of 45 Old 08-13-2011, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthiegirl View Post

I still drink caffeinated tea.  Not sure how bad that really is.  My blood pressure tends to be very, very low --- during my last pregnancy, my OB jokingly encouraged me to start drinking coffee to raise my bp.  

I don't eat sweets, but that's because they make me gag a bit still.  As for the rest of it?  I eat what I like and what makes me feel good.  

This sounds like me, I don't really give bp-related stuff a second thought as my usual bp when pregnant is about 90/60.  I've been drinking a lot of herbal tea (iced) because I'm keeping that in the fridge as something the kids can have (mint/lemon/hibiscus) instead of water, but I have snuck in some lovely glasses of strong iced coffee as well. 

#45 of 45 Old 08-15-2011, 01:12 AM

Coffee/lattes. I have a toddler to chase. I have to be not only awake, but ALERT. He could climb and leap from the tallest piece of furniture in the blink of an eye. I have to be two steps ahead. Caffeine is my friend. :)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page