Cautiously excited mamas (high risk/previous losses?) - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 157 Old 05-04-2011, 12:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi Ladies, I've been absent from this DDC for almost a month due to computer issues.  Anyway, I had a missed m/c last Dec.   I just had my first u/s on May 2 at 8 weeks.  It was and is an emotional day and continues.  I was shocked to learn that I was carrying twins, however, 1 of them died at 4 1/2 to 5 wks.  The other fetus has a strong heartbeat and, so far, everything appears to be fine.  I'm still very paranoid though.  So, a lot to process this week but trying to stay positive.

#62 of 157 Old 05-04-2011, 01:00 PM

Micklis: OMG! So many emotions!!! I'm sorry for the twin you lost but happy to hear you have a strong one remaining! 

Cindy

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

#63 of 157 Old 05-04-2011, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by micklis View Post

Hi Ladies, I've been absent from this DDC for almost a month due to computer issues.  Anyway, I had a missed m/c last Dec.   I just had my first u/s on May 2 at 8 weeks.  It was and is an emotional day and continues.  I was shocked to learn that I was carrying twins, however, 1 of them died at 4 1/2 to 5 wks.  The other fetus has a strong heartbeat and, so far, everything appears to be fine.  I'm still very paranoid though.  So, a lot to process this week but trying to stay positive.

Wow!! Congrats & HUGS!!! How are you holding up with the loss of the twin? I hope your other baby is sticky and a long healthy pregnancy!!

My mom lost a twin in 2 of her pregnancies and the other 2 (one in each twin PG) were great live births :)

In Love stillheart.gif with my best friend & mama to three beautiful little boys! stork-suprise.gif Expecting #4 Oct. 2014!
#64 of 157 Old 05-04-2011, 02:46 PM

Micklis, wow that's a lot to hear. So happy to hear about the h/b and so sorry for the loss of the other.

I am having some spotting today and am having a hard time not freaking out. It is the only spotting I have had this pg. Not good. greensad.gif

treehugger.gifMama to DS (3/05 )carrot.gifh20homebirth.gif, wife to DH bikenew.gif, remembering rainbow1284.gifdog2.gifdog2.gif and angel1.gif Spirit 1/07, angel1.gif Hope 5/09, angel1.gif Harmony 6/10, angel1.gif Love 5/11, angel1.gif Joy 6/11

#65 of 157 Old 05-04-2011, 06:51 PM

Hey ladies, wanted to join in here, my last pregnancy was high risk.   DS1 was 5 weeks premature, and DS2 I had short cervix, a cerclage placed and bedrest for 16 weeks. (carried to 40 weeks though, yeah!).  Seeing the MFM to see if I need a cerclage this time around, probably I will go for one preventively at 13 weeks, to hopefully avoid the bedrest.  I have 2 little boys to chase around.  Symptoms are raging right now naseaus, tired, also I am having this strange left sided cramping, not strong or sharp just persistent so I am concerned about an ectopic pregnancy.  Anyone know about symptoms of ectopic pregnancy?

Mama of 3 little boys - DS1 4/08, DS2 4/09, DS3 12/11

#66 of 157 Old 05-04-2011, 07:18 PM

Thanks ladies.  I've certainly had my grieving moments since Monday but I'm trying to cling to the happiness I feel about the little bean twin that hopefully wants to continue to stick around.  A lot to digest but I'm doing ok.

I have to share something I just learned. I have very mild nausea this time around and just happened to eat some watermelon a couple of days in a row.  Shortly after eating it, I felt better.  I don't know what made me google "watermelon and nausea" tonight but turns out that it is a natural anti-nausea food due to its high content of B6.  I had no idea.  Time to stock up!!

#67 of 157 Old 05-04-2011, 08:55 PM

Micklis--sorry for your loss but wish you the best for the remainder of your pregnancy.

I'm excited to report that we saw a heartbeat today and a babe measuring right for age.  Feeling relieved....hoping I can commit to this pregnancy now.

Jane: mama to 3 angels and The Champ(11/08) and Baby Z appearing in December

#68 of 157 Old 05-06-2011, 10:54 AM

LuminosaJane, that is great news!! Good wishes finding the space to enjoy your pregnancy!

My spotting from last time I posted 2 days ago turned into quite a bit of bleeding, but it has been slowly tapering off. Laying down seemed to help at first, so I've been doing a lot of it. I'm still bleeding a bit, but much less. But all my pregnancy symptoms are still here. I was quite despairing for a bit there, but am now feeling a bit of hope. It helps to have heard SierraBella's story.  Of course I still have the problem of the ultrasound with off dates. But I am still pregnant. This is quite a roller coaster ride. I am going for having faith there is a grand purpose to it all.

SierraBella and anyone else who has had bleeding during early pregnancy, I am curious what you have heard about laying down. That's what my gut says. My midwife said it couldn't hurt. She thought the most important thing is to stay hydrated, which I am doing.

treehugger.gifMama to DS (3/05 )carrot.gifh20homebirth.gif, wife to DH bikenew.gif, remembering rainbow1284.gifdog2.gifdog2.gif and angel1.gif Spirit 1/07, angel1.gif Hope 5/09, angel1.gif Harmony 6/10, angel1.gif Love 5/11, angel1.gif Joy 6/11

#69 of 157 Old 05-06-2011, 11:10 AM

My OB or midwife didn't tell me anything about laying down.. but I've read in SCH support groups that that is usually the recommendation.. bedrest, pelvic rest, drink lots of water.

My bleeding started at 5w, and it has been happening about once a week. But my u/s showed a very healthy baby with a heartbeat.. so don't hold out hope! Did they mention that they saw anything else on your u/s?

In Love stillheart.gif with my best friend & mama to three beautiful little boys! stork-suprise.gif Expecting #4 Oct. 2014!
#70 of 157 Old 05-06-2011, 11:44 AM

I usually have bleeding in early PG, that is NOT SCH. I have asked about lying down, and the MFM I was consulting with last PG admitted that OBs tend to tell their patients to lay down when they're bleeding, but there's no real reason to do so other than that it forces the woman to rest.

My two pregnancies that ended with live babies, I had bleeding twice or three times in first tri, a week or more each time, at least as heavy if not heavier than a regular period. Both babies were fine. No cause was found for the bleeding.

My two pregnancies that ended with miscarriage, the first one, my first bleeding episode WAS the miscarriage, and the second one, I got all the way to 11 weeks with only a bit of light pink spotting (but with full pregnancy symptoms - sore breasts, nausea, growing belly, etc). So... *shrug* in my case, bleeding has been a good thing. (And I'm 7 weeks today with no bleeding... and trying to convince myself that for MOST women, this would be NORMAL!)
#71 of 157 Old 05-06-2011, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaturMama View Post

SierraBella and anyone else who has had bleeding during early pregnancy, I am curious what you have heard about laying down. That's what my gut says. My midwife said it couldn't hurt. She thought the most important thing is to stay hydrated, which I am doing.

WaturMama--I also have a SCH, which of course is only one of the many possible reasons for bleeding in the first trimester and not a real common one.  Anyhow, I have read some stuff that says bedrest is pointless, but I did also read a study where there was a 4 times greater chance of continuing the pregnancy in the group of women who were on bedrest vs. those who continued with normal activities.  If you don't have a SCH, I don't know if that holds true or not...  Are you planning on having any follow up ultrasound to see if they can figure out what the bleeding is from?  Best of luck to you. 

#72 of 157 Old 05-06-2011, 07:14 PM

Hey Ladies,

I just had it confirmed that my hcg #'s are not rising any where near what they should be in a viable pregnancy - 22,000 on Monday to 32,000 on Thursday. I am sad but feel more and more empowered to listen to myself and my body first, before any health expert, etc. My midwife was great in acknowledging we should have been more proactive from the beginning (when I suggested more heavy progesterone supplementation). I'm very glad she acknowledged this, and she's on board for doing the progesterone shots when I conceive again. I've done a lot of research on this board and it seems the shots have the best results (anyone with experience feel free to chime in)!

I'm grateful for my relative health and ability to conceive, and 9 yr old daughter! Also this community has been a wonderful resource, thank you all for your support.

Many blessings to all of you and happy, sticky babies!

Hillary

#73 of 157 Old 05-06-2011, 08:37 PM

Hilary- So sorry to hear :( You are in my thoughts mama! grouphug.gif

#74 of 157 Old 05-07-2011, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillary77 View Post

Hey Ladies,

I just had it confirmed that my hcg #'s are not rising any where near what they should be in a viable pregnancy - 22,000 on Monday to 32,000 on Thursday. I am sad but feel more and more empowered to listen to myself and my body first, before any health expert, etc. My midwife was great in acknowledging we should have been more proactive from the beginning (when I suggested more heavy progesterone supplementation). I'm very glad she acknowledged this, and she's on board for doing the progesterone shots when I conceive again. I've done a lot of research on this board and it seems the shots have the best results (anyone with experience feel free to chime in)!

I'm grateful for my relative health and ability to conceive, and 9 yr old daughter! Also this community has been a wonderful resource, thank you all for your support.

Many blessings to all of you and happy, sticky babies!

Hillary

Hillary... I am really sorry to hear that if you are miscarrying, and I don't want to give you false hope or anything, but aren't you around 6 weeks pregnant?  I had been obsessing about hcg myself and have done a ton of research.  It looks like you are right in that range if you are around six weeks.  Check out this website. It lists average hcg in viable pregnancies at 6 weeks as between 1100 and 56000. http://www.baby2see.com/preconception/hcg.html   

Also, as the hcg grows higher, it takes longer and longer to double.   You will also see if you scroll down on this website that once you get past 6000 miu for your hcg, it often takes over 4 days to double.  From 1200-6000 it normally takes 72-96 hours to double.  So, it would have been really likely that you wouldn't have gone from 22000 to 44000 for at least another day and likely even longer.

Based on all of that, I would definitely say you aren't out if you aren't having a lot of other issues.  Obviously your hcg is still going up which is a great sign.  Also, it isn't too late to up your progesterone.  I would really be questioning your midwife's expertise if she told you this isn't likely a viable pregnancy...  Good luck to you. 

#75 of 157 Old 05-07-2011, 11:37 AM

Hmmm,well yes, I am 6 weeks 2 days. I am still having spotting here and there, no cramping. I just don't "feel" pregnant anymore, though.

Of course, I'm curious about the hcg not doubling as fast when it gets higher...but from 22,000 to just 32,000 in 4 days? That seems very slow.

Are there any other opinions on this?

I stopped the NPC yesterday thinking I will have a withdrawal bleed but haven't yet and now I'm worried I'm jumping the gun.

I wish it were easier to get quick, reliable healthcare around here :(

#76 of 157 Old 05-07-2011, 11:42 AM

Quote:

Hmmm,well yes, I am 6 weeks 2 days. I am still having spotting here and there, no cramping. I just don't "feel" pregnant anymore, though.

Of course, I'm curious about the hcg not doubling as fast when it gets higher...but from 22,000 to just 32,000 in 4 days? That seems very slow.

Are there any other opinions on this?

I stopped the NPC yesterday thinking I will have a withdrawal bleed but haven't yet and now I'm worried I'm jumping the gun.

I wish it were easier to get quick, reliable healthcare around here :(

But didn't you have your hcgs done Monday and then Thursday?  So that would be 72 hours and count as three days...  It wouldn't have doubled until Friday at least.  I don't know if you're opposed to it, but you should be able to see a heart beat starting right around now to 7 weeks on an ultrasound.  If it were me, I definitely wouldn't stop the progesterone until I had an ultrasound that showed no heartbeat.  Stopping the progesterone in itself abruptly could cause a perfectly viable pregnancy to miscarry, so I'd start it up right away again until you know.  Just my two cents, but I think you have a lot to be hopeful about and your hcg seems completely within the normal range, so if you are assuming miscarriage based on that, I think your provider is giving you inaccurate info. 

#77 of 157 Old 05-07-2011, 12:34 PM

AP ToddlerMama,

Thanks so much for your input, I've looked at other sorces of info on Hcg and they seem to confirm that ultrasound is the most reliable assessment of viability at this stage of pregnancy. I am holding off on stopping the NPC, and will schedule an ultrasound for this coming week.

I'm new here - in small town Hawaii - and have yet to be seen at my official primary care person's practice. I'm pretty sure they'll make me do a pregnancy test before referring me to a doc who can perform an ultrasound. I can either see an OB/Gyn in town who is likely to be totally unsympathetic to my seeing a midwife/ND, or I can wait till Friday when I can drive the 2 hours to the birthcenter! Oh well, holding steady for now :)

I will keep everyone posted for sure.

Best,

Hillary

#78 of 157 Old 05-07-2011, 01:00 PM

I just checked out the site you linked, APToddlerMama, and I have to say I am seriously peeved with my midwife's interpretation of my hcg and will absolutely change providers if this is a viable pregnancy. Thank you VERY much for your insight.

#79 of 157 Old 05-07-2011, 02:57 PM

Quote:

AP ToddlerMama,

Thanks so much for your input, I've looked at other sorces of info on Hcg and they seem to confirm that ultrasound is the most reliable assessment of viability at this stage of pregnancy. I am holding off on stopping the NPC, and will schedule an ultrasound for this coming week.

I'm new here - in small town Hawaii - and have yet to be seen at my official primary care person's practice. I'm pretty sure they'll make me do a pregnancy test before referring me to a doc who can perform an ultrasound. I can either see an OB/Gyn in town who is likely to be totally unsympathetic to my seeing a midwife/ND, or I can wait till Friday when I can drive the 2 hours to the birthcenter! Oh well, holding steady for now :)

I will keep everyone posted for sure.

Best,

Hillary

I am seeing a midwife and OB. I just don't/won't tell my OB that I am seeing a midwife as well (though my MW is perfectly aware that I am seeing the OB).

#80 of 157 Old 05-07-2011, 04:29 PM

Hillary-- A good friend of mine had slow numbers too and was told to end the pregnancy.  She opted to miscarry naturally--which never happened.  Her daughter plays with mine weekly!  Wishing you the best.

Jane: mama to 3 angels and The Champ(11/08) and Baby Z appearing in December

#81 of 157 Old 05-07-2011, 07:24 PM

Quote:

I just checked out the site you linked, APToddlerMama, and I have to say I am seriously peeved with my midwife's interpretation of my hcg and will absolutely change providers if this is a viable pregnancy. Thank you VERY much for your insight.

No problem.  I would be really peeved too.  Here is one more website  http://betabase.info/showBasicChart.php?type=Single .  It is from actual women who sent in their hcg levels in pregnancy in successful pregnancies where the heart beat was detected.  Check out the one for 30 dpo which should be right where you are at 6 weeks 2 days exactly assuming you ovulated on day 14.  The median hcg is only 15000 and the lowest level reported was 224 and these were in 600 women who reported.  And, if your beta was Thursday, you would have only been 28 dpo where the median hcg was 9000 in the 850 who reported that day.  33000 is waaaaaay above the average. 

That midwife is way out of line.  If she does end up being right, my guess it will be due to complete chance since 1 in 5 pregnancies or so end in m/c anyhow.  I'm hoping that isn't the case for you though.  I would be very hopeful :). 

#82 of 157 Old 05-08-2011, 09:53 PM

Hi all, briefly sitting at the computer--laying down really seems to help me keep the bleeding down, so I am doing it lots. Thank you for the thoughts and answers to my questions and thank you especially Sarahtar for the inspiring story.

I still have my pg symptoms and have heard so many stories of successful pgs w/bleeding now that I am more worried about the date issue than the bleeding (though have heard good stories there, too). I have another u/s scheduled for Thurs.

Hillary, so sorry for the roller coaster you've been through, but so glad there is so much hope. When I asked to do an HCG test at 6 weeks, my reproductive endocronologist's office refused to do it because they said it wouldn't tell me anything.

I've been following this all from my iPod, but can't post there.

#83 of 157 Old 05-10-2011, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

I'm still here.  I have spotting pretty regularly, and have fewer symptoms than I did, but I do still have some symptoms- some days more than others.  I am feeling like something is 'off' but telling myself that there's no reason to feel that way.  It's a weird place emotionally.  For the most part, I'm just taking things one day at a time and waiting to see where life goes. I know I could go in for an ultrasound and have more answers, but my OB is ok with my wait and see approach for now. 

#84 of 157 Old 05-11-2011, 11:04 PM

Hey everyone,

Just popping in with some good news....

I've totally stopped spotting, etc. and was finally able to get in to my primary care doc, had another hcg, and it was over 82,000...from 32,000 last Thursday....which is a great sign. I will probably have an ultrasound next week, but it's VERY difficult getting in to see anyone...people on vacation, etc. At least now, I'm feeling really much more secure (with maybe a residual worry) about the health and viability of this pregnancy, and so I feel comfortable waiting for an ultrasound.

I'm so grateful for all of you and wish you the very best of health and happiness :)

Hillary

#85 of 157 Old 05-12-2011, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter

What great news!  

I wonder if we'll all not feel a little more secure as we pass through into the second trimester- I know I will!

#86 of 157 Old 05-12-2011, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidevoice View Post

I'm still here.  I have spotting pretty regularly, and have fewer symptoms than I did, but I do still have some symptoms- some days more than others.  I am feeling like something is 'off' but telling myself that there's no reason to feel that way.  It's a weird place emotionally.  For the most part, I'm just taking things one day at a time and waiting to see where life goes. I know I could go in for an ultrasound and have more answers, but my OB is ok with my wait and see approach for now. 

I have that same persistent "off" feeling but my dad said something that made me laugh and I realized was true.  He said you can't trust your feelings are reality...you can change your feelings in about 20 minutes by just drinking a margarita.  Now, if only I could actually drink that margarita!  Here's to hoping both of our off feelings are wrong...

And Hillary--that is great news!!  Let us know how things go next week! 

#87 of 157 Old 05-12-2011, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

I love that!  

I was adding some wine to a sauce I was making a couple days ago and thinking how great it would be to have a glass and unwind- then I felt guilty for feeling that. 

I haven't experienced this 'off' feeling in previous pregnancies, so I don't understand it.  I try simply to rationalize it and move along.  With any luck, we'll all be able to look back at this thread in January and laugh at ourselves for being so worried. 

#88 of 157 Old 05-12-2011, 09:50 AM

Hi everyone,

Coming back to MDC after a long absence. redface.gif  I'm currently almost 8wks pg with what I hope will be our 2nd baby.  It is my 4th pregnancy.  I lost my last one at 19wks, but it had died well before; sometime in the 1st trimester.

Anyway, along with my considered late-term lost, I have PCOS and impaired glucose tolerance (IGT).  Apparently, since my son was born in 2005, IGT is considered almost as bad as full-blown gestational diabetes, so I'm basically considered high-risk.  In 2005, as long as I passed the GTT (which I did,) IGT wasn't a problem.

So my midwife, at my first appointment this week, basically told me to be prepared for likely shared-care with an OB (since GD is out of her scope) and quite possibly a transfer of care.  She also told me that homebirth (and HBAC for me) would be unlikely and there would likely be a push to induce me at 38wks because of the IGT. irked.gif  I'm still digesting this and don't really know how to proceed.  All the HB info out there mostly pertains to 'healthy, uncomplicated pregnancies' and I'm having a hard time finding research that covers my reality and allows me to make my own informed decisions.  She'll abide by whatever I tell her, but I fall easily for the 'your baby will die' card (never from her, but from the OBs she's obligated to refer me too.)

If any of you ladies have some good resources to share on IGT and/or PCOS IN pregnancy (as opposed to BEFORE pregnancy,) I'd really appreciate it. smile.gif

Oh, and I'm another here on progesterone supplementation at the moment.  I'm on natural progesterone suppositories, compounded for me; this is the first pregnancy I've been on them.  Do they make anyone else's pee frothy? redface.gif

Thanks for letting me share. smile.gif

#89 of 157 Old 05-12-2011, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

They tend to want to induce for me at 38 weeks as well- and that is another reason I stick with the blood sugar monitoring- if I'm not seeing an increase in blood sugars, I am more comfortable declining.  With one child we did induce at that point because my blood sugars became unstable enough that I agreed the baby was safer being delivered. They weren't consistently high, but were all over the place and I couldn't keep them steady.  Because I saw for myself what was going on, I felt better about the choice.  I also had developed severe polyhydramnios which was another factor in the decision to induce.  My son was actually quite small at that point, and he slept for the first two months with few wakings to nurse.  Additionally, he developed pretty significant jaundice.  While we were sure on dates, he was only about as developed as a 35/36 week baby.  I tend to go significantly post date, so that made sense as well.

The next pregnancy, I didn't have those swings  or the polyhydramios at all, and didn't feel like being induced was the right option at that point. I held out and the baby was much more developed and it was better all around. I think that the complicated pregnancy was complicated because it was when I was bullied into a GD diagnosis and forced to use insulin though I knew it was wrong. 

#90 of 157 Old 05-16-2011, 11:31 AM

I lost my baby. Had ultrasound this morning. I am 9 weeks 2 days. Baby measured 8 weeks 4 days and had no heartbeat. I go for a more in depth ultrasound later but I know they are right. I had a bit of spotting yesterday. Could have been from sex or the start of a miscarriage. I just knew something wasn't right. They want me to have a D&C on Friday. 

Cindy

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page