Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   December 2011 (http://www.mothering.com/forum/16778-december-2011/)
-   -   Homebirth in the hospital (http://www.mothering.com/forum/16778-december-2011/1309912-homebirth-hospital.html)

mamaecho 04-24-2011 06:16 PM

Hey ladies,

Has anyone read the book Homebirth in the Hospital?

Because of various reasons, we will be delivering in a hospital with a midwife, but I'm VERY interested in making it as natural as possible. Any suggestions?

Carhootel 04-24-2011 07:26 PM

I haven't read it, or even heard of it but it sounds really interesting and I'm definitely going to check it out! 

hollywilson82 04-25-2011 04:55 PM

Haven't heard of it, but I'll try to check it out too!

Mizelenius 04-25-2011 10:16 PM

Have not read it, but my advice (or rather, what works for me) is to go to the hospital as late as possible.  With my 1st I went to the hospital because I was bleeding so much (not the normal bleeding) and could not feel her move . . .so, I was there 6 hours before she was born.  WAY too long.  Would not recommend unless you have an issue.  With my 2nd, I was there about 45 minutes (laboring in the hallway-- not nice, mind you, because no room was available- walked into my room and had to push).  With my 3rd it was about an hour (went shopping for gifts for our girls in the giftshop, then 20 minutes monitoring, then 20 minutes or less in the shower).  With my last, it was 20 minutes, then the baby was born.  It is tricky to time . . .but if you can manage it, try to go LATE, basically just to push the baby out.

Mayachel 04-26-2011 04:02 PM

While I tend to agree about going as late as possible, depending on your midwife and the hospital set up, you may be able to take advantage of lovely services like a birthing ball and deep tub, or birthing chair. It also sounds like maybe you have some concerns that would want you to get there sooner than later. In that case, bring lots of delicious home comforts-the baked goods, juices, your own water bottle, an extra pillow that can get left behind, slippers, an ipod or a cd if they have a stereo there, etc...

Many midwives in hospitals are happy to facilitate as intervention free a birth as possible, it's all about knowing they and the hospital you'll be at are a good fit for that.

LilMomma83 04-26-2011 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayachel View Post

While I tend to agree about going as late as possible, depending on your midwife and the hospital set up, you may be able to take advantage of lovely services like a birthing ball and deep tub, or birthing chair. It also sounds like maybe you have some concerns that would want you to get there sooner than later. In that case, bring lots of delicious home comforts-the baked goods, juices, your own water bottle, an extra pillow that can get left behind, slippers, an ipod or a cd if they have a stereo there, etc...

Many midwives in hospitals are happy to facilitate as intervention free a birth as possible, it's all about knowing they and the hospital you'll be at are a good fit for that.

This is more my experience with the two hospital births I have had (and this one probably will be too unless we move - then I will decide based on the hospital in my area). Both times I labored a day or so at home and then 12-18 hours in the hospital...basically as soon as contractions got to the point where I had to put all of my focus into them...I think I was around 3cm each time. I loved having the extra equipment and unlimited hot water, and the midwives and nurses had lots of suggestions to help my labor progress faster and also make me less uncomfortable. My first birth I had a little more monitoring because my baby had maconium in the water, my second they only spiratically monitored me (it was available if I wanted, but, usually they would just ask if I felt baby moving and maybe check the HB for a minute or so). I did get an IV both times (my choice, I asked for it) and I will ask for it again this time if its another long labor...I just couldn't make myself drink enough because I felt so yucky, and I got tired and dehridrated (keep in mind I was missing 2-3 nights sleep by the time each baby was born because of my longer labors). I didn't do meds though (a little with baby #1, again, my choice, baby #2 no meds at all)...I think it really helped talking with my midwives (and I actually asked the hospital which practice was best for someone wanting a natural birth and I am really happy with who they reccomended)..I just felt like I was really respected...and I got to hold DS2 skin to skin for about 5 minutes before they checked him (DS1 got checked immediatly because of the maconium - but, they gave him back quickly when he was fine), and at the hospital I delivered out there is no healthy baby nursery, they stay in the room - and they actually encouraged (between the lines lol) co-sleep (basically said how nice it is to breastfeed and doze with a baby curled up next to you and showed me how to nurse side lying lol) which was nice...and its polocy that everyone breastfeeding is seen by a lactation consultant before leaving, no extra charge (and there is a continueing free support group) which is a great service - I couldn't afford to see one on my own! AND I left early after DS2 was born (because I was tandem nursing and wanted to be home with my baby) so they sent a home health nurse to check on me for no extra charge...

Long post, but, I had wonderful experiences, and I know it doesn't work like that everywhere, but, I wanted to share my story, because it certainly can be beautiful - I do NOT think everyone at a hospital is out to cause problems or make interventions (actually my midwives said it was really neat to have someone that wanted a natural birth because so many do not) . :-)

Mizelenius 04-26-2011 06:27 PM

True-- it really depends what you personally need during labor. I actually just need to be alone and near/in water . . .well, except the last time.  I felt really good the whole time, no transition.  Needed nothing. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayachel View Post

karmamamaa 04-29-2011 08:21 PM

I haven't read the book but I'm actually going to look it up now-sounds great!

I agree with just waiting and doing your "work" at home and getting to the hospital for the actual delivery. When laboring at home I wanted nothing to do with my bed, but its funny the moment you walk into a hospital room there it is, the bed! Its the centerpiece- and along with "the bed" comes many of the issues that make women avoid hospital birth, i.e pushing laboring lying down, "patient" role, etc.

I like to be by myself really for labor. And I like home and all its comforts...and its distracting! There was always something to clean or to reorganize before we left for the hospital it really makes the time fly.

Also my hospital is stuck in the 80s and doesn't "allow" eating or drinking during labor.

I don't like to hide in the bathroom to drink my gatorade wink1.gif

indigosky 05-03-2011 05:59 PM

I actually did read the book Homebirth in the Hospital and wouldn't recommend it. Its title is great, but doesn't represent what the book is about. The book is full of birth stories that use interventions, including some that are quite negative!

If "homebirth in the hospital" (or as close to it as possible) is what you want, my two top book recommendations are Ina May's Guide to Childbirth, and Birthing From Within. They are FAR better!

Choosing your provider carefully (the average midwife is much more likely than the average OB to be able to help you have this kind of birth, but there are some very special OBs who "get" it, too) and choosing your hospital carefully are probably the most important things you can do. If a hospital has a 95% epidural rate, that means the labor & delivery nurses there rarely get to see what women look like in labor without an epidural (the 5% probably either give birth within minutes of arriving at the hospital, or have planned cesareans), don't know how to support them appropriately, and not likely to feel comfortable letting you "do your thing" in labor.

Mizelenius 05-04-2011 01:44 PM

Didn't read Ina May's book, but I will 2nd the recommendation of Birthing from Within.  I didn't do all of the exercises or anything, but I think, more than ANY other source, it really gave me confidence.  Excellent!

ccsunflower 05-05-2011 10:14 AM

I found a doula and she is a great source of information with finding an OB in the area that would agree with my decisions.  She also knew which hospitals would better fit my needs.  I will definitely look into those books.  Unfortunately midwifery is very new in MO.  It came as a shock to me, not being from the area, that it was illegal for so long and it has only been legal since 2008 and it's still illegal in IL!  

runner29 05-05-2011 12:42 PM

Haven't read the original book you mentioned, but I definitely second Ina May's book! 

Having a supportive midwife/doc is the most important thing, in my mind. I also think getting there later is good - but LOVE being in the tub, so I balance those two needs! In my two drug-free/intervention-free (besides non-continuous heart rate monitoring of the baby) hospital births, I've come to decide that your attitude is also so important! Having a birth plan written out that is respectful (not combative) toward the health care providers (especially nurses), but that states your wishes in a confident way can really help, I think.  Also, having a doula that's able to help go and get stuff you and your partner need or go call for a nurse for you so your partner can stay with you or whatever would also be really nice!

Also, check out of the hospital after only a day, if you can. It's so hard to sleep there - they keep interrupting you, and home is so much nicer!

I'm also going for this again this time - CPMs are illegal in my state and there are no CNMs that do homebirths nearby, so I don't have a lot of choices, unfortunately.

Mizelenius 05-06-2011 05:44 AM

Do you mean a homebirth with a MW?  It is legal to have a MW in a hospital.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccsunflower View Post

I found a doula and she is a great source of information with finding an OB in the area that would agree with my decisions.  She also knew which hospitals would better fit my needs.  I will definitely look into those books.  Unfortunately midwifery is very new in MO.  It came as a shock to me, not being from the area, that it was illegal for so long and it has only been legal since 2008 and it's still illegal in IL!  

ccsunflower 05-06-2011 07:02 AM

Yes a homebirth with a midwife was illegal.  Here's a good article about the situation: http://www.ourbodiesourblog.org/blog/2008/06/missouri-supreme-court-ruling-makes-midwifery

mamaecho 05-07-2011 04:33 PM

Hey ladies!

Yeah I'm really excited about our choice of midwifery group. They are very caring, even the atmosphere in the office is just completely opposite of the doctors so I'm excited! I want to give birth in the hospital because honestly that's what I feel comfortable doing. NOT because of safety concerns but I just feel at ease there (could be because my mom has worked in a hospital since I was born so it's naturally a place where I feel happy because we would go visit my mom all the time.. it doesn't have the same negative connotation.) I'm also excited to be able to use the birth tub, that just sounds so heavenly to me!

rolliniris 06-02-2011 12:40 PM

I haven't read the book, but i wanted to share my births with you. We brought a tapestry and hung it over the windows, had a starlight in the corner, (which is all the light we needed), brought a cd player and our favorite music, had a spray bottle with lavendar in it, in our first birth we had fake candles lit since they wouldn't let us light our own and a bouquet of lilies and jasmine with our baby's beaded lifeline wrapped around them (something to focus on during contractions) and a waterbirth. The second hospital didn't have a birthing mat, so my knees got really sore since i spent most of labor on the floor, so next time I am bringing my own birthing mat or a couple of thick yoga mats. I brought my own clothes to birth in but was naked most of the time anyway. And the shower was across the hall and we used so many of their little white towels that next time i bringing a huge robe and my own beach towels since i got in and out of the shower 5-8 times. I am definetly going to prepare food ahead of time and bring it to the hospital with us. Both my labors were 30 plus hours, and i stayed at  home as long as i felt comfortable but each time i checked in i was only dialted to 3cm. Along with ina may's book and birthing from within i recommend gentle birth choices by barbara harper and rediscovering birth by sheila kitzinger...hope you enjoy the tub as much as i did, happy birthing♥

mamaecho 06-02-2011 03:40 PM

Your births sound absolutely beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing them with me smile.gif I will def be taking your suggestions

Mizelenius 06-02-2011 06:31 PM

Slightly OT, but many homebirthing people say they love being in their home after the birth.  NOT ME!  I love being in the hospital at that point.  People take care of me!  They bring me food!  No one except the baby wants me to do anything!  I can devote 100% of my time to the baby-- which is really just about the only time that little baby will ever get all of my attention. 

Once I am home, it's back to business.  Life is the same as always, but I have a new baby as well.  Needless to say, I use up my full hospital stay for the rest!  I know there are people out there who have great friends and family who just dote on the new mom and baby, letting the pair rest and bond.  For them, I can see how being at home would be great, but for the rest of us who pretty much fly solo, the hospital can be a luxury.

Adaline'sMama 06-02-2011 07:45 PM

DDDC. I read this book when I was pregnant with DD. I think the most important thing is to make sure that your OB is on board. Also, I think its really important to know your body and know your rights. Here is my birth story (title inspired by the book).

http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/1226300/homebirth-in-the-hospital-ky

rachelroo 06-04-2011 07:40 AM

Hire a Doula, they will help you have the birth you want in a hospital. In the hospital midwives are great but sometimes they have more then one thing going on and can't give you that consistency of care that a home birth midwife can give. Sometimes when a hospital has multiple midwifes you might not have as deep of a relationship with all of them as you do with your primary care midwife.  This is where a Doula comes in. She is someone you have built trust with, someone who will be with you consistently through your labor and birth, someone who will advocate for you no matter what your ideal birth is.

Just my 2 cents

Hire a Doula!

mamaecho 06-04-2011 12:17 PM

Yup. One if my very close friends is a doula. So she will be there.

Ruthiegirl 06-22-2011 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizelenius View Post

Slightly OT, but many homebirthing people say they love being in their home after the birth.  NOT ME!  I love being in the hospital at that point.  People take care of me!  They bring me food!  No one except the baby wants me to do anything!  I can devote 100% of my time to the baby-- which is really just about the only time that little baby will ever get all of my attention. 

Once I am home, it's back to business.  Life is the same as always, but I have a new baby as well.  Needless to say, I use up my full hospital stay for the rest!  I know there are people out there who have great friends and family who just dote on the new mom and baby, letting the pair rest and bond.  For them, I can see how being at home would be great, but for the rest of us who pretty much fly solo, the hospital can be a luxury.

This is me too.  I have had three wonderful, natural births in hospitals --  twice with OBs and once with a midwife (who acted more like and OB than a midwife).  I LOVE going to the hospital.  I walk into the hospital in full, panting heaving labor.  I am pushy and I am clear in what I want.  I want the lights turned down.  I will NOT lay on my back.  I push on my own schedule and when I am done, I want someone else to clean up while I take a hot bath.  

Now, I am never like this in my real life.  But there is something about birthing that makes me into a mama-bear.  And I enjoy being cared for when I need the help.  I want my husband to be able to hold our new baby and not be messing with cleaning up afterbirth and whatever else comes out of me. 

And really, a homebirth would just be more work for me.  I don't have close family and friends who would be able to come and cook and clean and care for my other children while I was recovering.  At the hospital, I can build my nest for a couple of days and just rest.  

Ruthiegirl 06-22-2011 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaecho View Post

Yup. One if my very close friends is a doula. So she will be there.

Oh, you're all set then!  Be clear in what you want and be loud.  I have never had a nurse or Dr. argue with me when I have been in labor.  Maybe they don't want to get their fingers bitten.