Minimalist Mamas? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 56 Old 05-16-2011, 06:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I got rid of most of my baby stuff after my second because I didn't know if I would want to have more. But now with number 3 on the way I am kicking myself for not having kept my cloth diapers! So those are on the list of needs. I kept my nursing pillow and my wrap carrier (which I absolutely love!) I need a booster seat for my 7 year old so that my 4 year old can move into her carseat and the baby can have my 4 year olds carseat (which is a convertable one) I dont have a stroller but not sure if i will use one so we'll see. I will need some sort of seat to set the baby down in but if i dont have one i will figure something else out. We are getting a crib for much later ( only $25! ). I will need some clothes, just a few. I want to have the baby naked next to my skin alot in the first few weeks so i won't need much at first. Rags are a must.  I want to make a mobile for the baby because my DD loved hers. I have lots of toys/board books so I have that covered. Both my other children HATED the pacifier so I probably wont even bother this time. Cloth diapers are at the top of my list of needs for sure.......other than that......I dont need much.

#32 of 56 Old 05-18-2011, 12:42 PM

My list of what I consider essential gets smaller with each child - this is my 4th (and it's not because I already have the other stuff, it's what I've realized I actually use vs don't use)

1 package of newborn disposables - I use that up to give me a short break on laundry.

cloth diapers and wipes

prefolds for burp cloths, changing pads, etc, etc if its not part of the cloth diaper stash

receiving blankets 10 ish - I tend to use them as rags as well as the prefolds

2-3 heavier blankets

pj's 6-8 of each size until weather is warm enough, I use slightly more when they start staying in a size awhile

2-3 hats (I live in oregon  - everyone wears hats in the winter, my texas baby didn't use them)

1-2 sets of mittens in case they like to scratch themselves or refuse to keep hands tucked into warm blankies

wrap/carrier (sling, moby, ergo)

nose sucker, underarm thermometer, nail clippers, fever reducer for emergencies - rarely happens but when it does....

carseat

bouncy seat  - mom's bathing, dressing, cooking splattery stuff, etc I refuse to let my babies cry for my convenience, bouncies often keep them happy long enough for my purposes :)

"magic cream"  that my mom makes that can heal ANY diaper rash in 24 hours. I had a kid drink too much juice, had a raw hiney - put it on at night and by morning it was 90% healed

a basket to hold all the stuff mom needs - I constantly would send my oldest son for "mommy's basket" with my chapstick, pen and paper, etc that I might need while I'm "stuck" under a nursing or sleeping baby - I try to make it easy for my guys to get me what I need by having it all together

we co-sleep, breastfeed, use towels to sleep on, use natural soaps for ourselves, delayed solids, etc

I am wondering about this sheepskin though... might be worth looking into

#33 of 56 Old 05-18-2011, 02:58 PM

I didn't get a sheepskin until my third child.  It was the Best Thing Ever.  He still sleeps better with it than without.  It was well worth the cost, and has held up beautifully.  They are also pretty easy to maintain and wash as necessary- though it seems intimidating at first. 

#34 of 56 Old 05-18-2011, 05:57 PM

I read a few months ago on MDC somewhere when we were researching bedding that sheepskin is tied to higher SIDS risk.  Has anyone else heard this?  I was going to get one until I read that. 

#35 of 56 Old 05-18-2011, 06:17 PM

Here is one abstract I found

http://www.jpeds.com/article/S0022-3476(98)70116-7/abstract

I don't know, I can see how it would be a problem if you put them face down of course, but we used it for back sleeping and side sleeping.  Hmm. 

I suspect that my comfort level is such that regardless of the studies we would use it again.  I also move away from back-to-sleep pretty early though and  have less SIDS fear than other people might.  We all have to find our own comfort levels with that though.  For some people back to sleep in a crib is the only thing that feels safe.  For others, they are cosleeping on pillowtop mattresses with feather comforters...  I'm somewhere in the middle. 

#36 of 56 Old 05-19-2011, 06:10 AM

For a variety of reasons, we decided that an actual sheepskin was not for us (I think it was the arsenic concern). But the wool pad is sure nice, and I think it provides many of the same benefits - it's warm, it's cozy, it's waterproof.

http://www.stopsidsnow.com/Sheepskins.html
http://www.pnc.com.au/~cafmr/sprott/sheepskn.html
#37 of 56 Old 05-23-2011, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahtar View Post
The wool pad is sure nice, and I think it provides many of the same benefits - it's warm, it's cozy, it's waterproof.

Where do you get these wondrous wool pads?  Do you make them?  Details, please!

#38 of 56 Old 05-24-2011, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junebugmidwife View Post

They have some snugglewool at green mountain diapers. :)  I haven't tried it, but have heard good things about them. 

#39 of 56 Old 05-24-2011, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junebugmidwife View Post

I made mine, but it's essentially just thick, knit, organic wool (which you can buy at many online stores that sell CD fabrics) sewn into a large square. I love it. GMD is an awesome store, and if they sell them, it's probably worth a look. Otherwise, I could certainly make one for you, too.
#40 of 56 Old 06-13-2011, 10:07 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)

I don't consider myself minimalist as much as I consider myself tired of all the crap and stuff in my home that doesn't have a home and committed to not continuing to add to it!  Plus, since this will be baby number 3 and the act of getting rid of all the stuff belonging to nos 1 and 2 gave me the lightbulb moment that boy, they had a LOT of stuff!  And, then, there's the new car we'll need to fit in the 3rd carseat, so, not a whole lot of funds for stuff I just want or consider nice to have.

I've decided that I'm actually not buying any new clothes for this baby.  Not because we have ton's left from the other two (I gave all of that away since we were officially done except a few choice items that are worth handing down), but, because I finally realize the baby doesn't need much.  Among my stuff, is a lot of yarn.  I'm working on a boat neck, close fitting undershirt type design with fold over mittens.  If this works out, I'll knit up 3 of these.  I also plan to knit 2 sweaters (one already done!), 3 hats, 2 pair of booties and 4 pairs of longies (2 with feet and 2 without).  Last on the knitting list will be some type of sleep sack (2 of them). I knit one for ds, but, it's not newborn size, or even small! 

I do plan to purchase another shorn sheepskin.  The one we have has worked well for ds.  And I'm thinking about stitching up a wool blanket from some of my other stuff (lots of thrifted wool sweaters).

Lastly, I'm getting back the Bundle Me I gave to a friend, so, not sure about a jacket.  DD got heat rashes in the Bundle Me if she had a jacket on under it.  If I do decide baby will have one, I'll probably knit something in a larger size and felt it so that the Chicago winter wind can't cut through it so easily.

On the diapering front, I'm trying to get back my newborn prefolds.  Should that fail, I would like to have 24 newborn diapers.  I doubt I will have time to sew any considering 1) I've never sewn diapers and 2) I work full time outof the house and already have a lot of knitting planned for the existing children, let alone the new one on the way!  Otherwise, I like the diaper area cleanser from Northern Essence (I think that's the name of the site) and we still have plenty of cloth wipes.

Fortunately, I will also be able to get back the infant car seat and Mini Co-Sleeper I gave to another friend.  All that leaves on my list are a swing - which I donated to the Goodwill - and some type of bouncy seat.  The swing is not a must have, but a nice to have.  For me, the bouncy seat is a must have for allowing mama to shower!

Mama to add 10/05; ds 3/09, and two angels
#41 of 56 Old 06-13-2011, 01:49 PM

i'm definitely a minimalist mama, much more this time around than with my daughter. last time, it was my ex-husband who took over and did the Babys-R-Us registration, going around and making Star Trek phaser noises *rolls eyes* oh, i so much just wanted a Blessingway! but i appreciated every little thing we had. with co-sleeping and baby-wearing, it eliminates SO much of the things needed, really.

as a disabled mama one thing i really loved was a Bumbo seat (after 5 months), and an electric swing (not the wind-up kind). my girl's floor-time was mama's floor-time, i filled the floor with carpets and blankets, we had so much fun. as she got heavier in the wrap i had more trouble doing things at arm's length, she'd sit in the Bumbo seat so happily active while i was cooking or whatever, whereas she was passive and grumpy sitting/lying anywhere else. the electric swing was a healthy  essential used properly, she had GERD at 3 weeks (it's congenital, my side) and whenever she was uncomfortable and wet-burping, i'd let her fall asleep in the swing and then i'd take her to bed or back in the wrap with me. her dad would leave her there all day while gaming if i was resting, sheesh.

my point is, the mom's list and the partner's list of things that are "necessary" might be totally different! be sure to communicate a LOT!

treehugger.gif Willow (6) says: "Mother Earth is the mother of all mothers"

angel1.gif Phoenix (6/2011) ♥      print-n-color mandalas >photosmile3.gif

#42 of 56 Old 06-13-2011, 01:59 PM

the one baby toy my girl enjoyed the most, i can't remember the name of and i can't find it in a web search!

it was a "ball" made from smaller wooden balls strung together with thick elastic cords, some covered by wooden rods that slide back and forth. it bounced irregularly, it flattened, it was fun to pull on and change the shape somewhat. driving me nuts trying to find it! it'd end up in the bottom of her toy box and she'd rediscover it again, had fun with it even at age 3! she really adored shaking it when she was tiny. i stored it during her front-teeth teething stages, she never tried to bite it for the back teeth but i watched carefully.

edited to say: doh! found it! Skiwsh! geez, i've got swiss-cheese head, majorly redface.gif

http://www.amazon.com/Manhattan-Toy-200980-Skwish-Classic/dp/B000GI0S4E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1307998816&sr=8-1

treehugger.gif Willow (6) says: "Mother Earth is the mother of all mothers"

angel1.gif Phoenix (6/2011) ♥      print-n-color mandalas >photosmile3.gif

#43 of 56 Old 06-13-2011, 02:02 PM

The "Skwish"? http://www.forsmallhands.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1265_1782

It's a great toy - when I was teaching preschool even some of the four year old kids liked to play with it.

I'm Heather, newly married (12/5/10) to James! partners.gif
We are currently "mama" and "papa" to Maisy cat.gif and soon... parents to BABY NEW YEAR 2012!! babyf.gifWe're happily planning a h20homebirth.gif and intend to femalesling.GIFbfinfant.gifdiaper.gif

#44 of 56 Old 06-16-2011, 12:09 PM

I can't really help with your list because this will be our first time around, but I did want to say thank you for the thread.  We won't be acquiring very much either and it's nice to have an idea of what is absolutely essential.  Our friends are giving us a crib, but that's pretty much the only before-hand addition to your list.  Oh, and I plan on having disposable newborn diapers on hand.

I am a little nervous about what we'll actually end up with though.  "Essential" has very different meanings for different people.

#45 of 56 Old 06-16-2011, 05:02 PM

I'm trying to keep it to a minimum. We had 2 lovely generous baby showers when DS was born. I have saved everything that he used/played with/wore. If he never wore it or used it, I tried to pass it on. DS is now almost 5 years old.

What we will need:

1. Crib - but not until baby outgrows the arms reach co-sleeper. Our crib has been recalled, no repair kit available. DS never slept in it any way. I would like to have one for this baby though.

2. Infant car seat - Our infant bucket seat was a hand-me-down from a relative, and expired a few years ago.

3. Electric breast pump - as I plan to return to work. Never needed to pump with DS and he never had a bottle.

And if it's a girl, some girly clothes! I'm sure we'll get these as gifts.

I have a cloth diaper supply.

We didn't use most baby toiletries... I had them all but all we ever needed was organic baby wash and occasional diaper cream.

In general, I found that we ended up with a lot of unnecessary items.

the only thing I plan on buying ahead of time is the car seat. And maybe some girl stuff at garage sales if we find out it's a girl!

#46 of 56 Old 06-18-2011, 10:30 AM

Someone stole our BOB stroller! We've kept it on the front porch for years. Now it's gone! So bummed, still use it for DS 4yo and planned to use it for new babe as well! It cost close to $500. There are a bunch on CL for $250, so I guess I will try to replace it ASAP. Such a bummer!!!

#47 of 56 Old 06-20-2011, 02:23 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus1 View Post

Someone stole our BOB stroller! We've kept it on the front porch for years. Now it's gone! So bummed, still use it for DS 4yo and planned to use it for new babe as well! It cost close to $500. There are a bunch on CL for $250, so I guess I will try to replace it ASAP. Such a bummer!!!

Oh, what a bummer.  I have had 2 strollers stolen, I know that frustration.  I am completely dependent on our stroller --- I walk much more than I drive and need to be able to haul babies and groceries and gear around.  Good luck finding a new one for cheap.  

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#48 of 56 Old 06-20-2011, 02:35 AM

who steals a stroller?!? ugh!

mama to one '07 and one '09
#49 of 56 Old 06-20-2011, 02:43 AM

I keep thinking that I am minimalist but looking at my list, it feel a little long.  This is a our fourth baby, so I have a pretty good idea of what I consider my essentials.  This baby was a bit of a surprise for us and I had gotten rid of everything, so I am starting from scratch again.  

cloth diapers (8-10 covers, 2-3 dozen prefolds)

some kind of diaper pail and wet bags 

simple, cotton uni-suits

warm coverall for going outside

warm hats

Some simple blankets to wrap up a newborn

Ergo baby carrier (my favorite of all the different ones I have used over the years)

Stroller for later  (we walk A LOT)

Car seat

Extras, but not essential

Bouncy seat -- this is a garage sale item since my babies only ever used it for a few months, but it was nice to have when we needed it

Pack and play -- I have three older kids and it would nice to have a safe, out-of-the-way place to lay the baby down

For mama:

4-5 GOOD nursing bras

breast pads (I am a ferocious leaker)

several comfy shirts and tanks to soak up all that leaky breast milk and spit up

belly band of some kind (I really like to wear a supportive band after delivery.   It helps me feel 'contained' while my stomach muscles heal)

Lanolin cream

herbs for soaking my bum post-labor

freezer full of casseroles and soups

#50 of 56 Old 06-20-2011, 02:47 AM

Oops.  Totally misread and posted without thinking clearly.  Forgive my stupidity.  

#51 of 56 Old 06-20-2011, 06:19 AM

Ugh. Looks like I'm going to have to get a new wetbag too. Not sure what happened, but when I used mine for wet swimsuits this weekend, it leaked through and the outside (and the floorboard in my backseat) were soaked!

#52 of 56 Old 06-20-2011, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthiegirl View Post

I walk much more than I drive and need to be able to haul babies and groceries and gear around.   

My favorite (and pretty much only) use for a stroller: carrying the groceries home while baby rides in the wrap.

#53 of 56 Old 06-22-2011, 11:13 AM

I think I belong here! 

I'm so a simplicity parenting mama.  Haven't even thought to buy a thing for this baby (#2), which is no reflection on how I feel about this babe...just realize how much "stuff" we have in our lives and how much of it is sooo not needed.  That and we do have plenty of "leftovers" from baby #1. 

Hi

#54 of 56 Old 06-26-2011, 03:52 PM

I found couple good lists,,,one in baby magazine, another one at parents.com I think I will follow them,,,don't have to much space at home and don't even want baby shower,,,I think i will figure out what do I need after baby is born.

Right now looking for crib and traveling system,,,Thinking about Graco Lauren 4-1

,,,it was worth to wait for two years,,,
#55 of 56 Old 07-06-2011, 02:46 PM

My wish list:

1. a wool pad for the family bed, big enough for mine and babies leaks
  2. diapering supplies: 2 dozen fitted newborn diapers, 2-3 small wool soakers, some doublers and fleece liners, 2 dozen small prefolds, (I still have small diaper covers), 2- 3 dozen wipes, diaper pail liner, diaper pail
  3. a few basic baby toiletries (soap, clippers, diaper cream, small soft brush)
  4. wool/silk/cotton baby clothes (hats, sleepers, shirts, etc..)
  5. 2-3 nice wool or silk or organic cotton baby blankets
  6. 2 pairs wool breast pads for mom (I love these!), 2 pairs organic cotton breast pads, several shelf-bra tanktops to wear under shirts and sweaters,  open sweaters and shirts, more washable moonpads, birth supplies.
  7. bassinet, bouncy seat, carseat, stroller, dresser or shelf for babies things
  8. a new sling or pouch or wrap or two : )
  9. joy.gif
#56 of 56 Old 07-06-2011, 03:15 PM

My list keeps growing. DS will be 5 years old when this baby is born.

1. Infant car seat - ours expired last year

2. BOB stroller - ours was STOLEN last month :(

3. Crib - ours was recalled

4. Small fitted diapers vs Flip diapers vs G diapers - my Kissaluvs have bad elastic after being in storage for 5 years

Sigh. It feels like starting over when they are this far apart. And I thought that we had every thing covered!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page