Minimalist Mamas? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 56 Old 04-29-2011, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Any out there?

While lots of mothers have long long lists of baby things to wish for, and some break the bank and fill up the house with baby things, I really value simplicity, and I plan on moving cross-country after this babe is born. DH and I really want to keep the baby stuff simple and limited to mostly handmade things (since that is what our non-baby life looks like). Our baby lists include more of what we don't want than what we do: strollers, swings, bouncy seats, cribs, endless toys.... And we figure, once our little one is here, if we want those things, we'll just get it then.

So, here's what's on the things we want list:

some clothes (gender neutral. I love gowns with drawstrings that can fit for more than a week)

2 dozen flat diapers and knitted soakers (how many soakers?)

a woven wrap carrier

blankets

a sheepskin

a few wooden toys and dishes

tiny nail clippers

the cradle that my siblings and I all used as babies, because it's just too cute not to use!

oh, and a car seat, but we won't even have a car until spring, so I'm not worried about that right away. Is it still legal to have the upright carseats facing backward for little babies? Or do you have to have the carrier-style now?

Minimalist mamas, any other absolute essentials I've missed? Advise on keeping the stuff to a minimum? How can we share our desires for simplicity with everyone who wants to overload us with baby gifts (already!)?

Maker-mama, joyously loving my boy, Winter Rhys, born 12/2011, and our twins, Wren and Forest, born 4/2014.
#2 of 56 Old 04-29-2011, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I hope to be a minimalist mama with this one. I think we were pretty minimalist last time but I'd like to be even more so this time. I actually was loaned a lot of different things (bouncy chairs, exersaucer, etc..) last time and have since passed them on. I will use them again if they are loaned back to us but I don't intend to spend $$ on much this time - except yarn and fabric to make things myself for the babe. 

2 things I might add to your list - a snot sucker bulb - something like the nosefrida

and some sort of all purpose baby balm - like a good calendula cream. You might need something to use on your nipples and on baby's bottom. 

Some non-essentials I do plan to use again are - a bouncy chair and a nursing pillow. You don't need a nursing pillow by any means, bed pillows work great, but I liked the shape of the my brest friend since it was flat on top and I have ginormous boobs I need to hold onto when nursing a newborn. I actually got a lot of us out of it, at least 6 months and it was used to begin with, and has gone through 2 friends since then. Bouncy chair - again not a necessity, pillows and blankets would work just fine. My DS was really unable to lay flat on his back for the first 6 weeks so having an incline like this that he couldn't roll off of (like a pillow) was really nice. This time around I'll have a toddler so I imagine I'll really need a secure place to put the baby at times and a bouncy chair is good for that. 

I also lent a friend the swing we were given with DS and if we get that back I'll probably use it, but that's a luxury :)

As for wool soakers - I'd say 2 newborn and 3 smalls would be good - I'd probably have a couple PUL covers for back up though.

Charlotte wife to B momma to Q 2/22/09
#3 of 56 Old 04-29-2011, 02:06 PM

Ok...Im lurking from the November board, but Im going to chime in anyways :)  Due the 26th, so Im probably having a December baby.

I went so overboard with my first.  With the second people just BOUGHT things.  With this one, I really only feel like I need some clothes and cloth diapers.

On my list:

Carseat

Lanolin-based cream (doubles for mom and baby)

Clothes

Cloth Diapers

An infant front-carrier (sling, mei tai, etc)

I have blankets from my other kids.  And we co-sleep and breastfeed.  Really, we don't NEED much.

Ash- DS 2003, DD 2006, and one baby Turkey born on Thanksgiving.

#4 of 56 Old 04-29-2011, 06:29 PM

I think it is great to keep it simple, newborns need very little. Regarding the car seat though, I would have one even if you won't have a car - you just don't know when you will need it and it is so important. We had a rear-facing more upright car seat we were planning on using with my first, with the hope of not being wasteful and using one of those horrible carrier things but the hospital did a breathing test and our daughter was not strong enough as a newborn to pass the breathing test while sitting that upright. Their heads fall to their chest and they do not get enough oxygen - just wanted to share that because we had not thought about that. We are lucky they ran that test which is not usual.

Also I second the bulb syringe it is essential! Other than a few blankets and clothes and nipple cream there wasn't a lot else we needed for a while anyway.

#5 of 56 Old 04-29-2011, 06:55 PM

I wouldn't really say I am a minimalist, but, I suppose I like to keep things simple compared to MOST people.

We had a lot of stuff (gifts) when DS1 was born and got rid of most of it inbetween babies because we didn't need it...I think the only tradition "baby gear" item we actually used was the swing (which is the one thing nobody gave us and we didn't buy ahead of time LOL - so I think what you said about buying only needed items and worrying about the other later is a great idea - you don't know your baby yet!)

I have often said, I could get by without almost all of my baby stuff except my favorite baby carriers! I do really love the gowns too...so nice for changing too....I would get baby legs though to wear under, because it will be cold in Dec (depending where you live, I suppose) but they are so sweet...I can't stand dressing babies in real clothes! DS2 was born in the summer and he mainly just wore his diaper! LOL!

#6 of 56 Old 04-29-2011, 09:52 PM

You know- I started to reply to this earlier and got distracted....

We're semi-minimalist.  

I know the stuff I need is extremely minimal, the stuff I want is slightly less minimal.  

I want a nice pack n play. We use it as a sleep space for naps even though we cosleep at night. 

I want some nice fitted diapers.  I have prefolds and pockets enough to last a lifetime, but I really discovered how much I love fitteds and prefer that approach. 

Babywearing is a constant around here.  I have about 10 carriers now, and want a new super-long wrap and a wrap conversion for the new baby. 

I like to have an exersaucer from about 4 months on.  My kids like to look at the world around them 'standing' and that's great for times I have to pee or make dinner. 

Baby clothes are fun.  If this baby is a boy, I have enough clothes to last for. ev. er. If it's a girl, I reserve the right to go completely insane with cute little girly stuff.  My 'little girl' is almost 10 and I don't get much input anymore. :D When I had her I was so broke all her clothes came from the thrift shop,  and while that was fine, I want to get foofy girly stuff!!! *ahem*

Supplemental nursing system- I denerally have oversupply, but I want this on hand for the 'just in case'.

Good breast pump.  My Medela PIS is on its last legs, I need to have a freezer stash. 

Good breastfeeding-compatible bottles.  I do introduce a bottle early, and have never had a problem. I like to be able to get out for a couple minutes here and there sans baby.

#7 of 56 Old 04-30-2011, 07:53 AM

You could probably get away without the toys and dishes until later, too. Newborns can't play, and you won''t need dishes until you start feeding solids, which you can put off until they're 1 if you want. And, frankly, other than a baby sized spoon, you don't really need special baby dishes. I second the carseat, though, unless you have a medical facility within easy walking distance from your house. Unless your state has different laws, convertible seats are designed and legal for newborn through the upper weight limit on the seat. There is no need to buy an infant seat.
#8 of 56 Old 05-02-2011, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

Yay on the convertible seat. Much simpler. And of course on the toys and things--it'll be much easier to wait on those things until the baby can actually use them! Thanks for the great advise.

Now, how about clothes. How much does a minimalist really need for the first 6 months or so? I don't really want to do laundry more than every two days or so, and twice per week would be ideal. And I'm going to aim for expandable gowns and things, to extend the wearability of the clothes (with baby legs! Perfect!).

I've just cleaned out my closet and I have TONS of clothes to remake in to new things. Maybe enough for all the baby's first wardrobe! Remaking things is so fun, and it'll be such a joy to have handmade baby things made from fabric I've had forever. I'm excited! And I think my mother and I will have some good bonding experience over a few sewing weekends. Yay!

Maker-mama, joyously loving my boy, Winter Rhys, born 12/2011, and our twins, Wren and Forest, born 4/2014.
#9 of 56 Old 05-02-2011, 08:17 PM

RE: Clothes-- I think you only need one piece PJs for a long time.  The fleece Carters ones fit well, are cute, and inexpensive.  This is really best for winter babies!   Comfy and warm.  You can put Babylegs under or over them for extra layering, as you said!  My babies have not tended to spit up, so I could keep one sleeper on at LEAST a day.  Fleece is great, too, because it repels liquid.  If they do spit up a little it won't get uncomfortable like cotton does (esp. when it is cold outside).

RE: "Newborns don't play."   I always thought they were so busy looking at their hands, listening to voices, etc. but believe it or not, mine have LOVED those little activity mats.  While I love carriers and carry my kids through toddlerhood and beyond, I have also found they like to be DOWN.   It's not something you need, but it is nice.  My other kids loved playing with the baby on the mat, too.  Sadly, while I find that the activity mat, bouncy seat, and exersaucer all have some value, the time that they use these is so limited.

Anyway . . .I definitely think it's best to start out with less.  With my 1st I had the false feeling that I needed to be 100% ready ahead of time.  Dawned on me afterward that it wasn't as though stores would suddenly close or be out of business, so I could buy IF I needed to.

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

#10 of 56 Old 05-02-2011, 08:25 PM

Oh, but while I do think a newborn actually uses toys, I cannot say the same for older children.  I have never had luck buying toys (other than stuffed animals, playsilks, and Magnatiles) that my kids actually use.

#11 of 56 Old 05-02-2011, 08:55 PM

This is a great thread!! 

I have been thinking more about what I will need for baby #3 as the time gets closer...

and it really isn't much at all!

We recently got a new king size bed. so all I really need is a nice sheepskin for the baby's little spot...

And other than that I could use a new carrier,

some baby clothes, nightgowns and PJ's,,,

and some diapers. 

And as the weather gets cooler a nice fleece outfit..

Simple is def best!!

All the best to all the expecting and new mama's out there!

Peace

mama to DD 6/05, DS 11/03 and a new dd born 6/11 

#12 of 56 Old 05-02-2011, 09:02 PM

Not sure if this is included in your diaper list, but you'll probably need a diaper pail and a wet bag.  I had two wet bags--one for home and one for when we were out.  If you're doing cloth wipes, you'll want at least 3 dozen.  Rather than toys right away, some bold color/black and white books are great, especially during diaper changes.  We also had a free-standing mobile similar to this one but made by some German company http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70108177.  It was the most used baby toy we've ever purchased.  As an infant, I would put dd under it while I showered.  When she started sitting, she loved trying to grab the hanging things and put them into her mouth.  When she was learning to stand, she used it as a support and when she was learning to walk she liked to push it around. 

Jane: mama to 3 angels and The Champ(11/08) and Baby Z appearing in December

#13 of 56 Old 05-03-2011, 07:57 AM

Thermometer, maybe a baby brush and baby nail clippers.  Def. don't waste your money on a baby bathtub. I ended up just taking DD in the tub with me. Much easier and then I got to hand her off to DH and stay in for a short soak. 

Cindy

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

#14 of 56 Old 05-05-2011, 01:07 PM

I agree that trying to keep the stuff down is good... however, if it's your first and people will be throwing showers and asking you to register places, you might as well register for stuff you need and want, otherwise people are going to be buying you stuff anyway (usually baby clothes in NB size that if you kids are anything like mine they'll never get a chance to wear before they grow out of them!) and you might as well get the stuff you need instead of then having to go out in 5 months and spend your own money on it. (also, I hate shopping, so I was very happy not to have to go buy a lot of stuff later on.)

My friends asked me for a list three years ago (my oldest is four) and this is what I put together for them.  Obviously it will be too minimal for some people (no wipes warmer! no exersaucer!) BUT it will also be too much stuff for other people!  Sorry it's really long (I'm long-winded when people ask me for advice) but maybe it will help you think of something you've forgotten!!

The Minimalist Baby – my idea of the essentials

This may seem like a long list, but I’ve elaborated on most of them. Plus, many are small items that will be kept in a cupboard or diaper bag. Also, maybe you will find you don’t need some of them. (I could very well have forgotten some as well. Feel free to ask if I forgot something or have just found that it isn’t worth having.)

Furniture, Sleeping Stuff and other bigger purchases:

o   Somewhere for baby to sleep (we did co-sleeper for 3-6 months, then crib)

o   Mattress for crib (co-sleepers and pack n plays come with their own mattresses)

o   Car Seat – bucket seat w/base is essential for the Midwestern climate. Make sure it fits your car and is EASY to use. If it’s frustrating and doesn’t go in and out of your car smoothly in the store parking lot, it will be impossible with crying baby and winter clothes, etc. (We REALLY loved the Chicco we got – way better than anything else we tried) **the only thing on the list that you will absolutely need – because they don’t let you take home your baby from the hospital without it.**

o   Jogging stroller/bike trailer/regular stroller – Chariot :o) (Cougar 1 is the type we got) (we are runners so this was essential for us) (you might also need a regular stroller or frame for car seat if you’re going to be traveling by air a lot) (*take note that the Chicco doesn’t fit most ‘standard’ stroller frames, but they make their own, of course.)

o   Pack N Play (great for traveling, can also use instead of a crib once baby outgrows co-sleeper. If the places you’ll be visiting have a place for baby to sleep or you’re too far away to bring yours, you can probably skip this altogether!)

o   Some sort of seat for baby in the house (bouncy, vibrating, etc.) (if you’re trying to be minimalist, you can probably skip the swing and just have a seat, but I have heard from some parents that a swing was the only thing that kept their kid from crying all day – something to keep in mind.) Also, someone gave us a vibrating seat that can then be converted into a rocking chair for a toddler so it can be in use longer. (Fisher Price, I think.) Just an idea. It's good to have somewhere they can sit during dinnertime if they're happy and content - makes them feel more like a real member of the family! :)

o   Comfortable place to nurse/feed baby (Some people buy one of those nice padded gliders. I found our couches were plenty comfortable, though often it’s nice to have your feet elevated… see next item.) (Generally, I think rocking chairs/gliders are overrated (and expensive!) because most fussy babies aren’t soothed by rocking back and forth, they often need up and down motion, which means you’ll be standing and bouncing (or try sitting on your exercise ball and bouncing that way, helps work the abs a bit, too!)

o   A way to elevate your feet while feeding the baby (makes things more comfortable. There are special nursing stools available, though probably something you have around the house would be just fine. I either used a small stepstool or our coffee table. (A plastic crate with a pillow on top would probably work fine, too.)

o   High Chair (if you’re tight on space, look into booster seats that attach onto regular chairs instead.) (need at ~ 6 months) We have this and love it: http://www.stokke-highchair.com/en-us/tripp-trapp-highchair.aspx

o   Dresser or a couple of drawers in a dresser for current sizes of clothes – top of dresser can be optionally used as changing table if you get a pad that fits it. (we don’t have a closet for Claire’s clothes and haven’t found we need one. We have one now and it’s nice for out of season clothes and boxes or other things like that.)

o   Baby Monitor (only if you have a big house or baby will be upstairs while you’re downstairs, etc.)

o   White Noise machine (Sound Machine) I got ours on Amazon. It was the only way Claire would sleep more than 15 min in her own bed for naps the first 2 months – and we’ve loved it for her ever since. I think it really helps signal to her that she should be sleeping, and also drowns out strange noises while traveling, etc.

Linens, Blankets, and Towels, etc.:

o   Sheet for where the baby is sleeping (2)

o   Mattress cover for crib mattress (if you’re using a crib) (probably 1, though if you’re baby ends up puking a lot or leaking diapers a lot you might want to go get another one.)

o   Bumper for crib – we actually don’t have this because I was a little paranoid about suffocation, but I’ve heard they make a mesh one that basically keeps stuff from falling out of the crib (i.e. a pacifier) If your little one ends up using a pacifier at night this would be great! (**Later we ended up getting a mesh one and really have liked it because otherwise she would lose her pacifiers onto the floor and cry in the middle of the night – several times.)

o   Blankets: swaddling blanket, floor blankets (1-2), misc. newborn blankets (2-3), blanket for covering car seat in winter, thinner blanket for blocking sun in car in summer (don’t worry, you’ll probably be given 3x this many blankets.)

o   A nursing pillow like Boppy or My Breast Friend. Most lactation consultants think the “My Breast Friend” is better for nursing and the Boppy is better later for the baby to play on. Or just a plain bed pillow or two (or even a throw pillow, if your baby is a neat eater.) This reminds me: bring extra bed pillows to the hospital with you – one or two. You probably won’t want or need them during the actual birth, but afterwards they’re very handy because hospital pillows are usually flat and uncomfortable. (Also bring the nursing pillow you want to try so you can practice using it.)

o   Burp rags – either get cheap cloth diapers, or it works just as well to cut up old T-shirts (non-printed parts) into pieces and either sew edges so they don’t fray or don’t worry about it and throw away when they’re really ratty. (you’ll probably need lots, depending on how much your baby spits up – maybe 10-20)

o   Baby washcloths (4-6)

o   Baby towels (with hoods) – these are nice because they’re less rough than adult towels and the hoods are nice too, but they’re not essential (1-2)

o   Changing pad covers (2)

o   Extra washcloths for cleaning baby’s face and hands and high chair after eating (we just bought the cheapest ones from Target, you’ll probably want ~20 of them.) These were great and saved us wasting lots of paper towels.

In one end…

o   Bottles – the number will depend on how often the baby will be getting a bottle and the type will partly depend on if you’re breastfeeding or formula feeding (some types are made to fit with the breast pumps, others have bigger openings to make mixing of powdered formula easier.) (Medela brand are great and it’s nice to pump into them and then serve it in the same bottle.)

o   Nipples – make sure you get newborn flow (I think Medela just has one type, they worked fine for Claire the whole time she took a bottle)

o   Small manual breast pump if you’re going to breastfeed and not going back to work right away (Medela brand, Harmony, ~$30)

o   Double electric breast pump if you’re breastfeeding and going back to work right away (Medela Advanced Pump-in-Style) (though I wouldn’t buy this before baby because if you are having a problem breastfeeding sometimes the doctor tells you to buy one and then your insurance will sometimes pay for it. You’ll want it by the time the baby’s 2 weeks old regardless.)

o   1 package breast milk storage freezer bags (more if you’re going back to work.)

o   Bottle Brush (with nipple cleaning end)

o   Baby spoons (at least 4)

o   Plastic baby bowls (2-3) (for when baby starts feeding her/himself? We haven’t gotten to that stage yet, so we just use normal dishes because Claire doesn’t hold the bowl. Later – we ended up getting one special ‘baby’ bowl that has a suction cup thingy to stick to the table! Definitely recommend that for when they first start feeding themselves! You might want two or three if you don’t want to hand wash after every meal like we did.)

o   Sippy cups or shot glasses for baby to drink water out of and eventually juice and milk

o   Bibs for drool (just thin, small, cotton ones) (4-6)

o   Bibs for “solid” food (3-5, depending on how often you want to wash them) There are some out there with long sleeves attached which are awesome for beginning eaters. Later, the Baby Bjorn harder plastic ones are the BEST.

… And out the other…

o   Changing pad (and covers – see linens section)

o   Diapers – 1 package of Newborn size, even if you’re going to use cloth, just in case or for trips. Don’t buy too many of one size or brand because your baby may grow out of them before you finish or you might want to experiment with different brands and see what fits your baby best.

o   Cloth Diapers – if you’re interested in using cloth, I’d love to tell you more about this. I really love using cloth diapers! :o) What you will need depends on whether you will be using a diaper service or washing them yourself. (washing them yourself is definitely the cheapest diapering option and not as bad as you’d think, the service or disposables are probably similar in price, though I haven’t priced different services or brands of diapers extensively because we’re washing our own.)

o   Small garbage can for wipes, other trash, etc. in baby’s room (or at the baby changing station)

o   A garbage can that seals well for the diapers (either cloth or disposable) or a Diaper Genie (for disposable only) – can get pricy because you have to buy their special refills each time. (I really like the metal garbage can we got from Target (online.) It has a hard plastic liner that is super easy to take out and clean. And most importantly, it seals tightly so you can’t smell stuff that’s inside.

o   Refillable wipes container/box

o   Lots of wipes (usually perfume-free, alcohol-free is a pretty safe bet for not reacting with your baby’s sensitive skin.)

o   Can do reusable cloth wipes if you’re washing your own cloth diapers, otherwise it doesn’t really make sense. (ask me more if you’re interested.)

Keeping Baby Happy

o   Pacifiers – newborn (buy a package of two different brands (or often you’ll get a free sample of one type in the mail or when making a purchase at Motherhood Maternity or something like that), because you won’t know what type your baby might like. Also, sterilize them before the baby is born because when the baby’s old enough to try them and you want to try them… there’s a good chance the baby will be screaming. Not exactly when you want to have to boil them for 10 minutes and then wait for them to cool!! :o)

o   Toys – a good way to minimize the number of toys you need is to only have out part of them at one time, then rotate them every few days with the ones hidden away and they’ll seem new again and entertain the baby longer, plus you won’t have as many on the floor at one time. (baby won’t really need any toys til ~2 months)

o   Bin or basket or cardboard box to hold toys

o   Potential “lovies” – you’ll probably be given several small blankets or toys that might end up as a lovey. Or s/he’ll attach to your old t-shirt or something.

o   Books – babies are often able to start paying attention to books being read to them at around 2-3 months old! Claire loves books by Sandra Boynton, and “I am a Bunny” by Risom is still one of her favorite books at 7 months.

Going Out with Baby

o   Front pack and/or ring sling and/or wrap – this is one that you’ll never know exactly what you and your baby are going to like until you try different options/brands. If you’re not given a few as gifts or find them at garage sales, borrow different types from friends and see what works for you. I can elaborate on these if you want!

o   Diaper Bag – doesn’t have to be an actual diaper bag. We use an old backpack because we like being able to put it over both shoulders if we want. You will need a small changing pad (we got one from an old diaper bag hand-me-down) and the bag should have several pockets/divisions.

o   Small container for disposable wipes for diaper bag

o   Small container of hand sanitizer for diaper bag

o   Extra pacifier for diaper bag (once you know what brand your baby likes)

o   A Bundle-Me – I admit this is the least-essential item on the list, but for winter babies this is super nice (it’s a fleece lining for your car seat so you don’t have to put baby in and out of snowsuit or load on blankets when you go out in winter.) If you are having a late spring/early summer baby you probably don’t need this.

Keeping Baby Neat and Clean

o   Baby bath tub with back rest (some people prefer to take a bath with their baby when s/he is tiny and skip the baby tub)

o   Baby soap (Johnson’s Head-To-Toe Baby wash (No-More Tears) is the classic baby wash (and probably the source of ‘baby scent’)

o   Speaking of baby scents, you don’t need special laundry detergent for baby clothes. But it is good to wash them in perfume-free and dye-free detergent. (Dreft detergent, marketed for baby clothes is actually full of perfumes and also is completely overpriced.) Also, as long as you use a perfume-free, dye-free detergent on your clothes too, you can wash all family clothes together and not wash a special load of laundry for the baby clothes. (also, don’t use very much detergent, saves money and rinses out of the clothes better.)

o   Small laundry basket or hamper (or small crate or cardboard box or bin) for dirty clothes in the baby’s room (or wherever you usually change her/his clothes)

o   Don’t buy special baby lotion - most have too many perfumes in them and are mostly water so it doesn’t work that long anyway. If needed, doctors often recommend Aquaphor, which is mostly vaseline. For Claire’s eczema the MUCH cheaper Vaseline worked just as well as the expensive Aquaphor.

o   For you: Lansinoh (brand) lanolin - for sore nipples or I also found it was great for cracked, dry, painful hands (from washing my hands 10x per day after diaper changes in the early days (in the dry winter weather you have to be extra careful!!).

Health and Safety

o   Baby gate(s) to block off stairs and/or places you want off limits.

o   Outlet covers (need at around 6-9 months)

o   Cabinet locks (need at around 8-12 months probably)

o   Infant Tylenol and Infant Ibuprofen (dye-free is good so it doesn’t stain if the baby spits it up) Always good to have on hand in case the doctor’s office recommends giving some to a sick baby… in the middle of the night or anytime when you’d have to go by yourself with sick, crying baby to the store and buy some. Doesn’t sound like fun. Have these on hand before the baby is even born.

o   Vaseline

o   A and D (or other brand) zinc oxide cream for diaper rashes

o   Thermometer (for underarm or rectal use)

o   Blue suction bulb thingy for sucking out snot from baby’s nose

o   Nail Clippers (Safety 1stBrand makes one with a bigger handle so it’s easier to hang onto when you’re clipping those microscopic nails.)

o   Thin little cotton mits to cover baby’s hands when they’re newborn so they can’t scratch their face. (often the doctor doesn’t want you to cut baby’s nails until the baby is 2 weeks old or so because they’re not completely detached from the skin, but they’re still sharp so you need something to cover them.)

Clothes

o   Plastic bins or boxes for sizes of clothes baby is not currently wearing.

o   Clothes – I wouldn’t worry about this. Gifts and/or hand-me-downs often take care of it, at least for the first 6-9 months. (don’t buy too much ahead of that age/size because it’s harder to estimate how big your child will be at certain ages and therefore what season of clothes you’ll be needing!) You’ll probably want at least 10 onesies and 10 footed pjs/outfits/sleepers in the 0-3 month size so you aren’t doing laundry every day. Socks are good to have in case your house is cold and s/he needs more on the feet. (3-6 pairs, thinner socks usually stay on better, for some reason.) Also, a hat or two is good if your place is cold and your baby likes them. Usually the hospital will send you home with at least one. (St. Mary’s gives you a thin knit one as soon as the baby is born and then a hand-knitted one (from a volunteer) after the baby’s first bath.) You don’t need shoes for a long time, til they’re walking outside. (~10-14 months) Those leather, completely flexible shoes are really nice once it gets colder for inside the house or they start crawling (Roobies or something is the brand name, but they some at Target that are okay too, they just don’t last quite as long.)

o   Going Home Outfit – I wish we had prepared better on this. I didn’t really realize how TINY she would seem! The 0-3 month size outfit was swimming on her, and she was 8lb 5oz at birth! Next time I’d have picked out a special cute newborn size outfit for the pictures. :o) (unless you’re expecting a 10lb baby, in which case the 0-3 month size should be fine!) Other than the going home outfit, don’t spend at lot of money on clothes in the newborn size because they’ll be grown out of that size often before you remember to pull them out and use them. Plus, people will give you some anyway! :o)

DD (2006) and DD (2009) and pos.gif
#15 of 56 Old 05-05-2011, 01:36 PM

Wow, that was long, but I found it VERY useful.  I'm a first time mom and any help is wonderful.  I actually went and printed it out and I'm going to use it as a guide to make my own list...thanks!

Married to my love.  Expecting #1, EDD:12/23!  Hoping for a waterbirth.jpg at a birth center.

#16 of 56 Old 05-05-2011, 01:37 PM

While that is certainly a very comprehensive list, and we'll probably use it to come up with ideas for our shower (same case-- family is going to want to buy things that aren't cloth diapers), I don't think we can describe that as minimalist by any standards. biggrinbounce.gif

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#17 of 56 Old 05-05-2011, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, what a list. Thanks for sharing all that information.

That said, I think it's much too comprehensive for me, to start out with. I think I'll keep to the list I had at the beginning, with the addition of lanolin cream, bulb syringe, diaper pail, and a few other things, and, if we happen to want the extras later, we'll get them then. Our plan is to have the baby in our bed (with all safety precautions, of course), and then make it it's own little pallet when necessary. I'll nurse the baby, of course, and I don't plan to need bottles. If I do, I'll get them then. Same with pacifiers.

But I think you're right, shower gifts would certainly overload us with stuff. Which is why we've decided to skip showers. Instead we'll have some sort of celebration that does not involve gift-giving. Like a Blessingway! We'll specifically tell the guests "no gifts please", and then, I'm sure, we'll still get some, but hopefully not as many as we would otherwise. Luckily, I don't know anyone here who would want to throw a shower anyway. Saved by that!

Also not concerned about strollers or car seats. We'll plan just to carry/wear baby, and if that's for some reason a problem after he/she arrives, we'll deal with that then. And there's no possible way our child could ride in a car if we don't have one, so I won't worry about that until we do. We plan to HB, and if we do have to transfer, the hospital is walking-distance from home. (And don't flame me please--of course, if we ever ride in a car with baby, it'll be in a car seat. There's just no possible way it could ride in a car if we don't have one)

In terms of clothes, I'm having lots of fun knitting little hats, sweaters, and booties. It is always really cold in our house (we can't control the heat), and we generally bundle a lot. I think with blankets, hats, and sweaters, babe will be fine. What about general little outfits, be it sleepers, gowns, or whatever? Ten seems like a good number for 0-3 months? What about for the older sizes, to about 6 months?

#18 of 56 Old 05-05-2011, 02:37 PM

Just a word on clothes... I had DS in February, it's May and he's wearing a range of sizes from 3 mo to 12 mo! Sizes are really varied even within the same brand. I like the idea of gowns but DS kicks so much he gets them all twisted up around his belly. If I were having a winter baby I'd get sleep blankets (they can wear a onesie underneath) some baby legs (will fit for a long time) and some short and long sleeved onesies in 3-6 mo (if Gerber 6-9). Also if you are doing cloth diapers they will need at least one size bigger in the pants. One thing I thought was silly to have but now use all the time is bibs. Some babies (like mine) spit up a lot and a nice soft bib is a convenient way to mop it up. It also saves you from doing so much laundry bc it can usually keep the shirt dry. Also he likes to entertain himself by pulling and chewing it. :)  

As for all the seats and swings, it would be great if you could wait and but your babe in one at a friend's house or the store bc some don't care for swings or certain seats and you'd hate to waste your money. We have a little rocking chair that vibrates (hand me down from a friend) and he started using it around 1 month (he has really good neck control) but will be able to sit in it until he's 3 or 4. It's the Fisher Price Rocking Chair, you can find it on Amazon for under $50. 

Oh and what about a thermometer and baby Tylenol? Those are 2 things that if you need them, you want them immediately. 

hijab.gif Learning to... sewmachine.gif andphotosmile2.gif with mybabyf.gifby my side!

#19 of 56 Old 05-06-2011, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeninejessica View Post

While that is certainly a very comprehensive list, and we'll probably use it to come up with ideas for our shower (same case-- family is going to want to buy things that aren't cloth diapers), I don't think we can describe that as minimalist by any standards. biggrinbounce.gif

I think many of those items were a personal choice .  . .I never use bibs, pacifiers, bottles/bottle accessories, lovies (tried this, none of my kids wanted anything but me), or even special changing pads (I find that toddler size prefolds work best, but I rarely use changing pads unless out . . .), stool, special place to nurse.  BUT I think it is great to put these in just in case they sound like a good idea-- for someone people (obviously) they are.  Not essential, however.

#20 of 56 Old 05-06-2011, 05:40 AM

The only thing about sleep gowns is that you can't put them in a carrier with these.  So, for actual sleeping, I guess that would be OK, but you might have to change the baby.  My winter babies stay in PJs all day. 

Hard to say on the size.  Mine have all been small, but some kids are born BIGGER than the 0-3 size or stay in it just a few weeks.  Tough to say in advance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azadehhast View Post

Wow, what a list. Thanks for sharing all that information.

That said, I think it's much too comprehensive for me, to start out with. I think I'll keep to the list I had at the beginning, with the addition of lanolin cream, bulb syringe, diaper pail, and a few other things, and, if we happen to want the extras later, we'll get them then. Our plan is to have the baby in our bed (with all safety precautions, of course), and then make it it's own little pallet when necessary. I'll nurse the baby, of course, and I don't plan to need bottles. If I do, I'll get them then. Same with pacifiers.

But I think you're right, shower gifts would certainly overload us with stuff. Which is why we've decided to skip showers. Instead we'll have some sort of celebration that does not involve gift-giving. Like a Blessingway! We'll specifically tell the guests "no gifts please", and then, I'm sure, we'll still get some, but hopefully not as many as we would otherwise. Luckily, I don't know anyone here who would want to throw a shower anyway. Saved by that!

Also not concerned about strollers or car seats. We'll plan just to carry/wear baby, and if that's for some reason a problem after he/she arrives, we'll deal with that then. And there's no possible way our child could ride in a car if we don't have one, so I won't worry about that until we do. We plan to HB, and if we do have to transfer, the hospital is walking-distance from home. (And don't flame me please--of course, if we ever ride in a car with baby, it'll be in a car seat. There's just no possible way it could ride in a car if we don't have one)

In terms of clothes, I'm having lots of fun knitting little hats, sweaters, and booties. It is always really cold in our house (we can't control the heat), and we generally bundle a lot. I think with blankets, hats, and sweaters, babe will be fine. What about general little outfits, be it sleepers, gowns, or whatever? Ten seems like a good number for 0-3 months? What about for the older sizes, to about 6 months?

#21 of 56 Old 05-06-2011, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azadehhast View Post

There's just no possible way it could ride in a car if we don't have one

I am NOT flaming you, and obviously my life is different from yours, but I can name at least four cars not owned by me that each baby has ridden in before turning 2 months. (A taxi, my mom's car when she was alive and I spent most of my son's first year of life driving her to doctor's appointments, a close friend's car because we rode places together like shopping, and my MIL's car for a road trip.) I don't know where you live, but obviously it's in a part of the country where you don't NEED a car... without a car where I live, a person would just have to take a cab (which they would have to call and make an appt for) or the bus.
#22 of 56 Old 05-06-2011, 09:00 AM

Anyway, my list of absolute baby necessities for a baby born in December, and these are BABY necessities, not toddler necessities, for a baby who is BF, delayed solids, CD, and worn.

- Car seat (you can skip the bucket, even in the midwest, even in the winter)
- Wool pad or other waterproof surface to lay under baby, and under mom in the beginning, to keep sheets clean. This is an essential. Diapers will leak, and so will breasts. I sleep on a wool pad big enough to protect the area under baby, under my chest, and under my butt to handle any leaking either of us might have, lol. Easier to wash this than the sheets. Having two is even easier. We continue to use ours until baby is completely potty trained at night, so it's an item that will last and last. And, frankly, I like sleeping on the wool pad. It's cozy.
- Rags. There's just a lot of cleaning up that happens. Burp rags are cute, but any rags will do.
- Diapers, wipes, wet bag or pail (don't need both), wet bag for diaper bag. Can use a premium size prefold for a change pad.
- Toys, but gosh. I don't think I've had a baby too interested in toys until they were old enough to control their hands.
- Baby carrier. (LOL, I personally think that 4-5 carriers is just barely scratching the surface, but you COULD get away with just one. If going for just one, I'd pick a woven wrap, or a not-too-stretchy wrap like the Wrapsody.)
- Baby safe soap, but if you use more natural soaps, chances are that what you use will be fine.
- Health/Hygiene items - bulb sucker, nail clippers, baby comb, thermometer but you probably already own one, whatever herbals/homeopathic/allopathic medicines you plan to use if the need arises.
- Clothes. For a baby born in the midwest in winter, you could get away with a few warm gowns (I love the fleece ones that Dharma sells, and they continue to fit for about 18 months), leg warmers, a sweater, and some socks. If you're CDing, having some wool longies is nice.
- A few baby size blankets.

Though they're not necessary for everyone, I personally like to have a breastmilk stash in my freezer in case I get hit by a bus, so breastmilk storage bags are nice.

Eating stuff for later... *shrug* we don't use bibs, we don't start solids until about 1 year, and other than baby spoons, I don't get anything special. Our babies eat what we're eating.
#23 of 56 Old 05-06-2011, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahtar View Post

Though they're not necessary for everyone, I personally like to have a breastmilk stash in my freezer in case I get hit by a bus, so breastmilk storage bags are nice.

Haha, yes! I'm a SAHM with no plans to work, and my partner could not understand why I wanted to build a milk stash. I told him "What if I get hit by a bus??"

Natalie- Mom to DS1 (8/03), DS2 (9/04), DS3 (10/06), DD (10/10) and belly.gifwith baby #5 (12/11).

#24 of 56 Old 05-07-2011, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeninejessica View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizelenius View Post

I think many of those items were a personal choice .  . .I never use bibs, pacifiers, bottles/bottle accessories, lovies (tried this, none of my kids wanted anything but me), or even special changing pads (I find that toddler size prefolds work best, but I rarely use changing pads unless out . . .), stool, special place to nurse.  BUT I think it is great to put these in just in case they sound like a good idea-- for someone people (obviously) they are.  Not essential, however.

Well, of course it's minimalist by some standards... Haven't you seen stuff about the movie stars and their babies' nurseries! Lol !!

And it was minimal compared to friends I knew, but yeah it's not minimal for everyone and that's cool. But it's a pretty comprehensive list that I'd doubt few people would really need MORE! Plenty use less! Hope it helps someone. I should have mentioned that I do work outside the home so many of the things (bottles, pacifiers, pack n play) were essential for me and my babies when they were in day care but clearly not everyone does what I do.

I also wrote that when I had only one kid. After two most of it has stayed the same except a few thing like I never used a pillow to nurse my second... Things were stretched enough by then I guess that they hung far enough down that she could reach them from my lap!! Haha.

Anyway, the most minimal is a few animal skins on the floor of your cave. Good luck to everyone finding their own appropriate level of 'minimal' from there!!!

DD (2006) and DD (2009) and pos.gif
#25 of 56 Old 05-07-2011, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runner29 View Post

Well, of course it's minimalist by some standards... Haven't you seen stuff about the movie stars and their babies' nurseries! Lol !!

Very true!  Don't get me wrong, it's a good list. There's a couple little things on there that I hadn't thought of. I don't consider myself a minimalist though.  I know there's plenty of items on my 'must have' list that I really don't need... but oh... I do! lol But yes, it's all in comparison to others. The morning of my oldest niece's delivery DH and I got the call "hey, I'm in labor... uhhh could you go and pick up some stuff from toys r us for us? I need a baby bath, the pack and play, a diaper genie, a bouncer chair, etc etc etc" To her, all of those things were non-negotiable to have the second she got home from the hospital. Now there's several of those I want, but if we don't have them right away, we'll live, you know?  I've got a pretty 'small' list of things I want, but reading through the lists in this thread, I feel like a hoarder. :lol 

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#26 of 56 Old 05-09-2011, 09:14 PM

I did all the normal baby sh9opping for ds, with dd all we bought was the bare essentials. We were BROKE when she was born, lol.

After seeing how much easier it was without all the stuff, I have a very short list for this baby (of course I already have two kids so some stuff like little nail clippers, thermometer, etc are laready in the h9ouse)

diapers (I really want fitteds or something other than prefolds, but whatever I come up with cheaply will be fine....ultimately they all do the same thing: catch poop!)

someplace safe to lay the baby. probably a pack n play. I have two wild children that the baby will occasionally need protection from.

clothes. I put outfits on my kids from day one, so only a few pj's and then the rest mostly onesies and cotton pants.

Everything else (play mat, toys, bottles or pacis) can pretty much be bought as the need arises. That way you don't end up with stuff you don't need.

Oh, and I use regular washcloths for bathing and spitup. I don't really use changing pads but if I need one I just lay a prefold out flat under the baby.

There is *plenty* of stuff to buy as they get older....I'm no longer in a frenzied rush to go baby shopping anymore!!!

I'm thinking about one of these things, but I'll probably just see when the baby is born, what kind of personality he/she has, whether it would work for him/her. http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3739296 So far I've had tummy sleepers, but that thing looks cool and very portable. I could see myself bringing the babu outside in it when I have my other two out there playing. of course, I wouldn't pay $60 for it.....it's bound to appear in one of the many kids' thrift/consignment stores that I love!

Very blessed mama to one bouncin' boy bouncy.gif (12/07) one angel3.gif who didn't get to stay (6/09), one potty learning, mess making divaenergy.gif(4/10), and one cheerful milk monster. aabfwoman.gif (12/11) Happy partner to the love of my lifedp_malesling.GIF.  

#27 of 56 Old 05-16-2011, 08:34 AM

We already have some stuff on hand. For this one, we'll be getting some newborn diapers (I'll probably make some fleece covers), some baby fever reducer (ours will be expired by the time this baby comes), maybe some more jammies (if it's a boy), and a few outfits for church. The last baby was born in July, so even if this one is a girl also, they won't be able to share clothes. I stay at home and breastfeed full time, so no bottles, accessories, pacifiers. We co-sleep, so no cribs, etc. (although I do want a Moses basket for the first couple of months). We have more toys than any 3 children could possibly need (they have almost all been handed down or bought by grandparents that could not be discouraged). We have baby blankets, washcloths, towels, cloth wipes and cloth diapers (my daughter is already in panties full time, so I have enough for a baby already). Our infant carrier-style carseat is not yet expired and is kind of gender neutral. We already have one of those carseart covers for winter that was handed down with our first. We will have a shower at church where I will probably get far more than I could possibly need. Any disposable diapers or wipes we get can be returned to Walmart, where we can buy something we will actually use.

One thing I have to add for those of you making your lists is to have at least one outfit or set of jammies or something in the preemie size. We were not prepared, and I had to send my mom out to buy a couple of outfits for my daughter because the newborn size was SOOOO big on her. Don't buy a lot since it may not fit, but I think it is better to have at least one in case you need it, especially in December when it will be so cold that you will need something on the baby!

#28 of 56 Old 05-16-2011, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywilson82 View Post

I stay at home and breastfeed full time, so no bottles, accessories, pacifiers. We co-sleep, so no cribs, etc. 

Oh, yay! This will be me too, so I'm glad to see someone say those things aren't necessary. smile.gif

#29 of 56 Old 05-16-2011, 12:27 PM

Oh gosh- we bf, cosleep, etc., but I do plan to try to save my sanity.  Two of my kids have had incredible needs to suck, and the pacifier was wonderful with that. (If you lean towards oversupply, letting them nurse endlessly isn't a good idea.)  I also (personally) count a breast pump, milk storage system, and a couple bottles among the must haves.  I introduce a bottle fairly early so it isn't hard to introduce later.

I was hospitalized a couple times without any warning, and it would have been awful for my child had they not already been ok with Dad feeding them from a bottle, and had I not had a good freezer stash of pumped milk.  

I will wait until I know the gender (whether before or after the birth) to buy many clothes. I love buntings and gowns for the first days before the umbilical cord falls off- so we'll probably have a few of those around.   They also pretty well eliminate the question of preemie/nb/0-3? sizing as they fit well from about 5 - 15 lbs.  Heck, I found my 2 yo dragging one out of the closet the other day to put it on.  It fit like a tunic, but it did go on lol. 

#30 of 56 Old 05-16-2011, 01:13 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Thanks for posting this gear item.  My first two were never in a crib, bassinet, etc of any kind - and the only things I typically splurge on are baby carriers and nice strollers because I like to walk a lot, but with an almost 2 and 4 yr old when this baby comes - I could see this coming in handy.  My DD had major spit up issues literally for her whole first year...this would have been great the first few months ...well, for those moments she actually let me put her down!  Amazon sells it for $45...and if you are on Amazon Mom or Prime - free shipping and of course no tax! 

Quote:
Originally Posted by waiting2bemommy View Post

I'm thinking about one of these things, but I'll probably just see when the baby is born, what kind of personality he/she has, whether it would work for him/her. http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3739296 So far I've had tummy sleepers, but that thing looks cool and very portable. I could see myself bringing the babu outside in it when I have my other two out there playing. of course, I wouldn't pay $60 for it.....it's bound to appear in one of the many kids' thrift/consignment stores that I love!

DS1 2/08, DD 1/10, DS2 12/11...#4 due October 2014
Home schooling, home birthing, breastfeeding, bed sharing family!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page