farming mamas - are you worried about toxoplasmosis? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 05-13-2011, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This just occurred to me. We have chickens and rabbits, and my partner farm has goats, sheep, and llamas, all of which I help to care for from time to time. This is new with this pregnancy - we were not providing direct care of farm animals with any of my other pregnancies. I can't be the only pregnant woman who has farm animals. Is this a concern? Should I be doing anything about it?
#2 of 7 Old 05-13-2011, 08:10 AM

All I know is about the chickens. We got baby chicks a few weeks ago. The woman we got them from told us to keep them on medicated feed until we put them outside (it has antibiotics in it). That they can get some disease that begins with a "c" that is NOT good for pregnant women to be exposed to. That said, you have a lot more contact with baby chicks than big chickens that are outside. From what I have read, many women have cleaned out the chicken coop, etc while pregnant and been fine. But it can't hurt to wear gloves while you do all of this and wash well afterwards.

Cindy

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

#3 of 7 Old 05-13-2011, 09:27 AM

This will be my 2nd baby on the farm. Honestly, it's just not something I've worried about.  I did have my dh dump out a container of potting soil that the cat pooped in, since I'd be really handling it a lot while seed starting, but that's about it.  I will say that I always wear a face mask when cleaning the chicken coop because it is so ridiculously dusty, but I may just bow out this time altogether.  I won't probably worry about normal daily chores & interaction with the animals, though.  I'm guessing you wash well when you come in anyway, right?  Hope that helps some!

Mama to ds12, dd9, dd3.5, and ds20mo, plus 15 cows, 2 dogs, 2 cats, chickens, ducks, turkeys, and bees!
#4 of 7 Old 05-13-2011, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

There is a blood test for toxoplasmosis. I had it because my UAV ex wouldn't change the cat litter, so I was doing it (with a mask and gloves) Chances are you've got antibodies to it, and it won't be a problem for you to go about daily life as usual. 

~Teresa, raising DS (Jan. 02) and DD1 (Jun. 04) and DD2 (Dec. 11) with DH.

#5 of 7 Old 05-13-2011, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter

I don't use medicated feed - the disease is Coccidosis. Most forms of coccidosis cannot be spread to humans. We keep our chicken areas pretty clean, and it's really not something I'm too concerned about with the chicks (of which we have 25 right now waiting to feather out so they can be moved to the big pen) or with the chickens.

Yes, we wash hands before and after handling animals, and I wash between animals here at my place.

I can' t find much information online, except one website said to avoid direct contact with sheep... but not any other animals. We need to shear the sheep in the next few weeks here, so, um, that's clearly going to involve some direct contact. Hmmm.
#6 of 7 Old 05-13-2011, 11:21 AM

I don't farm now, but I have in the past, and really beyond basic cleanliness, I didn't give it a lot of thought.  We don't wear chore-boots inside the house, and we all wash or hands well when we come in. While I was pregnant i was still changing the chick brooder  bedding out and handling the chicks while i waited for them to feather out enough to be with the rest and I routinely change the litter box. 

My life can't stop because I'm pregnant, and the litter box needs to be scooped every day. :)

#7 of 7 Old 05-13-2011, 12:29 PM

I didn't find a lot of info on Coccidosis myself but it was the lady we got them from who brought it up on her own, not even knowing I was pregnant. So I figure better safe than sorry. Though I'm sure it's fine if you wash your hands. We do plan to stop the medicated feed as soon as they go outside. 

My husband and his brothers grew up on a farm and his mom was the one who tended to the animals on a daily basis. I'm sure that was the case while she was pregnant with all 3 of them. They're all fine.

Cindy

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page