Birth pool purchase - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-17-2011, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi all,

So, I am type-A and already want to have as much prepared and ready as I can.  :)  I'm sort of new to MDC and I am sure there is a place, but not sure where to look.  Where can I look to buy a birth pool?  I am interested in less $, so used is fine.  Is there any other resources for home birth/water birth supplies that anyone recommends?  I was at a out of hospital birth center with my first, so similar, but not the same as far as preparation goes.

Thanks!

Trying to raise a healthy, happy family in NC. DD: 5/09, and due with #2: 12/11
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2011, 10:49 AM

I had bought some CD and other stuff from this site when I was pregnant with DS, I found it through another MDC mama who got birth supplies there. Though if you google 'homebirth supplies' you'll find a ton of great sites! 

Charlotte wife to B momma to Q 2/22/09
Old 05-17-2011, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Renting might be an option for you.  My current midwife and previous midwife had an Aquadoula birth pool that could be rented.  We just had to purchase a liner because those aren't re-used.    It was nice and deep and could maintain water temperature.  After my first birth in a garden tub, I was really impressed with the Aquadoula, but I haven't tried any others.

read.gif+dp_malesling.GIFreading.gifmoon.gifblahblah.gifjog.gif(All waterbirth.jpg. 3 @ homebirth.jpg30stork-suprise.gif*31*32*33*34*35*36*37*38*39*40?41*42?h20homebirth.gif 
Old 05-19-2011, 06:57 AM

Some people just use the deeper models of blow-up kiddie pools, too.

But here's my personal experience. If you can, rent. If you rent, they'll come and set it up, fill it up, and show you how to use it. You'll have it in your house usually 2-3 weeks before your due date. You can USE IT during those weeks. Just to relax in. You don't have to empty or change the water. When you go into labor, it's there, waiting and ready. There's no worrying about getting it filled up while dealing with contractions, no running out of hot water, there's no having to add more hot water as labor progresses, etc.

(if you end up not delivering in it and it stays clean, you can also relax in it afterwards with baby.)

After, the rental folks come and empty it out, clean it out, and take it away. You don't need to do anything.

Don't despair if you don't find a birth pool rental place in your community just by looking online. In my town, a midwife's assistant's husband rents them out, and he works solely by word of mouth. Ask your midwife, ask other HBers.

User Tag List