Insomnia-Help!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 06-02-2011, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm at my wit's end. Fall asleep fine, around 11pm, then get up to pee 2 or 3 times a night and end up awake for anywhere from 20 minutes to 3 hours afterwards.

What have you ladies tried? What worked for you? I have a body pillow, an eyeshade, a fan for white noise, a mouthguard for teeth grinding that I'm still getting used to (which is part of the problem). I read about a woman online who took Tylenol PM every night when she was pregnant and that sounds just awful to me.

Herbal teas ? Supplements? Warm milk? Change my eating or sleeping habits? I can't get through 6.5 more months like this.

#2 of 12 Old 06-02-2011, 03:41 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I get insomnia from time to time and it's usually about not being able to turn my brain off. If you find yourself stressing about things you need to get done, try keeping a notepad by the bed, so you can write it down. Then you won't need to worry about forgetting anything. Sometimes I take it as an opportunity to practice relaxation or breathing techniques. Try not to look at the clock, knowing exactly how long you've been laying awake is almost never a good thing (more often, it's another thing to obsess over)  Even if you don't get back to sleep, it can be time to relax and get some rest.

~Teresa, raising DS (Jan. 02) and DD1 (Jun. 04) and DD2 (Dec. 11) with DH.

#3 of 12 Old 06-02-2011, 03:50 PM

Maybe calmes forte or skullcap? I would ask your provider

creative crunchy christian wife to J stillheart.gif, Mama to three boys and one baby on the way!  chicken3.gif  doula in training love.gif

#4 of 12 Old 06-02-2011, 07:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

No advise, just wanted to say, this is totally me too, and I'm so frustrated! It's not that I'm thinking too much, and I certainly feel tired, I just can't go back to sleep. Then I squirm too much and wake up the cat, who wakes up DH, who goes to sleep on the couch.....ugh, really feeling awful about this!

Maker-mama, joyously loving my boy, Winter Rhys, born 12/2011, and our twins, Wren and Forest, born 4/2014.
#5 of 12 Old 06-03-2011, 01:35 AM

No advice, but I just needed to reply since it's 1:30 a.m. here and I CAN'T SLEEP!!

But, I think in my case, at least tonight.  It's nerves.  Tomorrow is my last day of school and I have to have my classroom packed up and ready to be moved by the end of the day--I have a lot to do yet!

I feel you, though...so frustrated right now and wishing I could sleep....

#6 of 12 Old 06-03-2011, 08:07 AM

Hypnobabies has a free relaxation track (mp3) on their site for downloading - maybe try that? No ideas other than that - just lots of sympathy! I've only had insomnia a couple of times, but it SUCKS.

I'm Heather, newly married (12/5/10) to James! partners.gif
We are currently "mama" and "papa" to Maisy cat.gif and soon... parents to BABY NEW YEAR 2012!! babyf.gifWe're happily planning a h20homebirth.gif and intend to femalesling.GIFbfinfant.gifdiaper.gif

#7 of 12 Old 06-04-2011, 08:28 AM

Count me in to the insomnia group!!  Every night!  This happened with my first pregnancy in the 3rd trimester.  I have what I guess is the "busy legs" syndrome.  If I don't get up and move around I will go crazy.  I literally kick my legs back and forth in bed to relieve the discomfort.  This does not help anyone because I still have a co-sleeping, night-nursing toddler in bed.  My poor DH has already moved out of the bed so that I can spread out comfortably with my toddler.  I'm taking some extra B6/B12 and am wondering if that has something to do with it.  It is horrible!  I just bought "Wise Women Herbal for the Childbearing Year" and if I see something in it that might be helpful I will post.  My only advice, is try to take a nap a few times a week.  I did yesterday and feel SO much better today. 

Trying to raise a healthy, happy family in NC. DD: 5/09, and due with #2: 12/11
#8 of 12 Old 06-04-2011, 09:10 AM

i have restless leg syndrome sometimes when not pregnant, seems it's hitting me harder much earlier than in my last pg. a half-hour before bed i mix together 6 oz. chamomile tea (from the dried plant, not the bag stuff) and a cup of warm milk. i take it with magnesium.(chelated) and i'm also taking B vitamins. i'm also hoping to afford some injectable B12 soon, that helps me with lots of things including wiggly legs and fatigue.

i also do a lot of yoga, the "butterfly" position day and night, it reallllly helped with my last pg, including during labor! here's an example. when my legs get that crawly feeling i just sit up in bed and do this pose and rock my knees up and down a bit. the crawlies disappear in a few minutes and i can at least get a couple hours sleep before it starts up again.

treehugger.gif Willow (6) says: "Mother Earth is the mother of all mothers"

angel1.gif Phoenix (6/2011) ♥      print-n-color mandalas >photosmile3.gif

#9 of 12 Old 06-06-2011, 12:54 AM

I'm going to try all of this!  Starting now since it is 4am and I am up, wide awake. 

Thanks!

Trying to raise a healthy, happy family in NC. DD: 5/09, and due with #2: 12/11
#10 of 12 Old 06-07-2011, 02:22 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)

I tend to get pregnancy induced insomnia.  If I totally cannot get back to sleep (yes, I've had the up from 12-3 am times), I have a cup of chamomille tea.  Fortunately, it mostly presents itself as early rising.  I'm glad to report I've gone from starting my day at 3:30 to 5 - 5:30! Only 30 more weeks to go!

Mama to add 10/05; ds 3/09, and two angels
#11 of 12 Old 06-17-2011, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

thanks ladies. I have laid in a supply of chamomile tea and ordered some herbal tincture for mamas.

#12 of 12 Old 06-18-2011, 06:48 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Hunger and thirst have been waking me up, even if I have a snack right before bed.  I guess I need to find something that my body will digest more slowly.  (assuming that it exists...)

read.gif+dp_malesling.GIFreading.gifmoon.gifblahblah.gifjog.gif(All waterbirth.jpg. 3 @ homebirth.jpg30stork-suprise.gif*31*32*33*34*35*36*37*38*39*40?41*42?h20homebirth.gif 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page