Weekly Chat Thread June 6-13th - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 39 Old 06-07-2011, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

New week!

How is everyone feeling? We are all getting close to finding out the gender if we so choose.. anyone super excited?

creative crunchy christian wife to J stillheart.gif, Mama to three boys and one baby on the way!  chicken3.gif  doula in training love.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 39 Old 06-07-2011, 04:58 PM

Wow - I thought we couldn't find out until 20ish weeks? I'm just getting excited about my first midwife appointment next week and the possibility of hearing the heartbeat for the first time! LOL I'm totally super excited about that - since I'm pretty much symptom free now, I feel like hearing the heartbeat will really make it feel real that there's a baby in there heartbeat.gif I can. not. wait!!!

I'm Heather, newly married (12/5/10) to James! partners.gif
We are currently "mama" and "papa" to Maisy cat.gif and soon... parents to BABY NEW YEAR 2012!! babyf.gifWe're happily planning a h20homebirth.gif and intend to femalesling.GIFbfinfant.gifdiaper.gif

#3 of 39 Old 06-07-2011, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah most people don't find out until 18-20, but I figure I only have 5 weeks, and I'm at the beg. of december so it's getting close! lol

creative crunchy christian wife to J stillheart.gif, Mama to three boys and one baby on the way!  chicken3.gif  doula in training love.gif

#4 of 39 Old 06-07-2011, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter

Well less I guess if I went for the 18 week mark, but I'm going to wait until 20 weeks.. so that puts me at 5 1/2 weeks

#5 of 39 Old 06-07-2011, 05:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I have to wait until 20w to find out too. I'll be 14w on Friday, so 6 more weeks! LOL. That seams like FOREVER away!

I think somewhere in our forum there is a gender prediction thread. I predict a girl :)

After 3 days of not talking (online chatting) with my DF, I finally got a message from him today.. after waiting ALL day, I figured he would be in bed, so I went and got in the shower. As soon as I got all wet he finally sends me a chat message, lol. IRONIC. Luckily, I had my phone in the bathroom and I have IM on my phone, so I didn't miss it.

Also, I found out he might be home one day sooner than I expected!!! joy.gif

In Love stillheart.gif with my best friend & mama to three beautiful little boys! stork-suprise.gif Expecting #4 Oct. 2014!
#6 of 39 Old 06-07-2011, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

YAY! That's excellent!!!

#7 of 39 Old 06-07-2011, 06:18 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

SierraBella~ I've got my fingers crossed that he's home early! 

We aren't finding out the sex until this one comes out, but I'm still excited about the ultrasound... I think SO is going to be totally blown away by it! today was a long day for me... I'm coming down with a cold & DD stayed home because she's not feeling well either... we had a nap in my bed together & that was nice. It's the 4 year anniversary of the day we left XH. He assaulted our son, who was 5 at the time, that day. So it's been a day of reflection.... life is so, so different from what it could have been and I am so thankful for how things have turned out for us!

~Teresa, raising DS (Jan. 02) and DD1 (Jun. 04) and DD2 (Dec. 11) with DH.

#8 of 39 Old 06-07-2011, 07:11 PM

It's alive!! We heard a heartbeat today, which was a serious weight off my shoulders. I came home and finally put the maternity clothes IN my drawers, lol.

We won't be finding out the sex, and i'm completely unenthused about the 20 week ultrasound that i pretty much have to have, but I've still got 9 weeks before I need to worry about that.
#9 of 39 Old 06-07-2011, 07:29 PM

Yay Sierra and Sarahtar!!  How exciting!

We tried to do a quick listen to the HB again today and I wanted to record it to show my mom, but we found it for literally maybe 4 seconds, twice... and then baby would swim away. We took it as a sign and turned the thing off. Disappointing though. I've been making sure not to turn it on too often, so now it'll probably be another two weeks or so before I try again. 

We got meh news yesterday that my DH's "family's" OB agreed to take me on as a favor to the family. My other options were... not great. A list of horrible female OB's, and then one male GP who delivers, and is aaaamazzzzzing according to the natural birth community here, but whom I absolutely cannot find any contact information for, and my GP won't refer me to because I "already have an OB". So, the current OB then I guess is our best option. She is natural birth friendly, but I think to a point. We're still going to clash over several issues I'm sure. And... it means no homebirth obviously. 

But... today I posted on FB about finding an OB, and now having to start looking for a doula, and a woman I previously babysat for, who has had four natural births, two homebirths, is an amazing photographer, and awesome woman all around-- posted and said she would love to be our doula!  It's sooo funny, because weeks ago before we had told anyone, I told DH that she seemed like the perfect person to have at the birth, because I was really almost more concerned with someone who could get great photos, than I was with someone who would be able to relax me, because I know DH will be good at that. And this girl can do it all, really. Great photos, she's been through natural birth, and knows the relaxation. I click really well with her... and she's also a fierce mama bear, and I know I could count on her to help buffer against the stupid hospital staff rules as well. 

I am jumping for joy inside. DH just has to meet her, but if it all works out, I don't feel I need to interview anyone else. Such a relief. 

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#10 of 39 Old 06-07-2011, 07:32 PM

YAY Sarahtar!!! Your news made me grin orngbiggrin.gif And YAY for SierraBella's "maybe coming home early" news too, that's awesome!

I'm Heather, newly married (12/5/10) to James! partners.gif
We are currently "mama" and "papa" to Maisy cat.gif and soon... parents to BABY NEW YEAR 2012!! babyf.gifWe're happily planning a h20homebirth.gif and intend to femalesling.GIFbfinfant.gifdiaper.gif

#11 of 39 Old 06-07-2011, 07:34 PM

Oooh I forgot about ultrasoundness... Ours will be around the end of July. I'm hoping to find out the sex, but DH isn't 100% sure yet, so we'll see. And then I have a free package at another ultrasound place, that I think I will use a few weeks after, mostly to confirm the sex, and the placental position, because I know here they normally won't actually tell the parents much of anything at the 20 week ultrasound. And DH is very worried about us being told the sex, and it being wrong- so this gives us a second opinion to make sure they match. This place limits to 10 minutes, which is perfect. I don't need to sit there and ooh and ahh, I really just want the information verification. After those two, I think we'll be done altogether with ultrasound, doppler, etc until we get to the hospital for baby time I think. And heck, even then if I can help it!

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#12 of 39 Old 06-07-2011, 09:23 PM

Ooh, ultrasounds! I had one scheduled to find out if we were having twins or not, but we had to cancel because of scheduling conflicts. We debated rescheduling, but decided not to because really- what would we do with that information? It wouldn't change anything.

So I'm just going to wait until my 20 week ultrasound (the birthing center I go through recommends only one u/s, at 20-ish weeks and then follow-ups if necessary). Still undecided on whether or not I want to know the sex. I think if it is twins, I'd like to know. If not, I think it'll be fun to be surprised.

I am worried, though, that if it is twins I'll be risked out of birthing at the birthing center. They have some pretty strict guidelines for what constitutes "low risk." Since having a beautiful birth at the birthing center after having 3 horrible hospital births, I don't think I can go back to the hospital. I mean, obviously I would if my life or the baby's life was in danger. So now my SO and I are researching home births.

I still feel like crap. Not eating very well, nothing looks appealing at all.

Natalie- Mom to DS1 (8/03), DS2 (9/04), DS3 (10/06), DD (10/10) and belly.gifwith baby #5 (12/11).

#13 of 39 Old 06-08-2011, 05:06 AM

ultrasound this Friday plus a whole lot of blood tests to check on my pre-pg anemia, thyroid, etc. i'm declining the internal exam of course, if i remember correctly they can see the cervix and uterine placement on the ultrasound, right? no sense having anyone "all up in my stuff" this early!

lots of lower back pain, which i didn't have last time. i've heard low and to the back might be a boy, then again heard a zillion legends. just blissing out being pregnant and not being huge in this 90+ heat! whew! last time it was hot hot hot right up to two weeks before my daughter was born. a friend brought over a good AC unit and installed it for me.

last time, it was just me and my ex-husband, i got very isolated and he obsessed over everything medical. this time it's the opposite, the dad ran off before i even knew i was pregnant, but i have a nice circle of friends and support. to be honest, this situation feels a lot better to me.

i definitely feel much older this time around, i feel way more "creaky" than usual. but i can look forward to the fibromyalgia symptoms going away, at least i hope, yay! even though i'm past 12 weeks i still don't feel a real connection yet, i hope that's not a bad sign.

treehugger.gif Willow (6) says: "Mother Earth is the mother of all mothers"

angel1.gif Phoenix (6/2011) ♥      print-n-color mandalas >photosmile3.gif

#14 of 39 Old 06-08-2011, 09:29 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I think it's normal to feel less of a connection with second, third or beyond babies, especially if you still have little ones at home, your focus is elsewhere! When I was pregnant with DD, the only times I thought about her were during DS's nap and as I drifted off at night.

Congrats Saratar! jeninejessica, it sounds like you've made the absolute best out of a not-first-choice scenario! That's so cool that the person you wanted to doula for you jumped in and offered!

~Teresa, raising DS (Jan. 02) and DD1 (Jun. 04) and DD2 (Dec. 11) with DH.

#15 of 39 Old 06-08-2011, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahtar View Post

It's alive!! We heard a heartbeat today, which was a serious weight off my shoulders. I came home and finally put the maternity clothes IN my drawers, lol.

We won't be finding out the sex, and i'm completely unenthused about the 20 week ultrasound that i pretty much have to have, but I've still got 9 weeks before I need to worry about that.

Yay for the heartbeat!!! I am so impatient, I can't wait to find out the sex, lol. I think if this one is a girl, and I have another baby after this, I might let it be a surprise at the birth. But since I have 2 older boys and REALLY want this one to be a girl, I HAVE to find out right away, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeninejessica View Post

But... today I posted on FB about finding an OB, and now having to start looking for a doula, and a woman I previously babysat for, who has had four natural births, two homebirths, is an amazing photographer, and awesome woman all around-- posted and said she would love to be our doula!  It's sooo funny, because weeks ago before we had told anyone, I told DH that she seemed like the perfect person to have at the birth, because I was really almost more concerned with someone who could get great photos, than I was with someone who would be able to relax me, because I know DH will be good at that. And this girl can do it all, really. Great photos, she's been through natural birth, and knows the relaxation. I click really well with her... and she's also a fierce mama bear, and I know I could count on her to help buffer against the stupid hospital staff rules as well. 

I am jumping for joy inside. DH just has to meet her, but if it all works out, I don't feel I need to interview anyone else. Such a relief. 

Yay for finding a doula/photographer!! I also hope I can have a photographer at my birth this time. I have a friend who does birth photography and I'm going to ask her about it. I might also ask if she'd be up for being my backup doula in case my doula/friend is unable to make it to the birth (she is 1 1/2 hours away, and baby is due during finals!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieMama View Post

Ooh, ultrasounds! I had one scheduled to find out if we were having twins or not, but we had to cancel because of scheduling conflicts. We debated rescheduling, but decided not to because really- what would we do with that information? It wouldn't change anything.

So I'm just going to wait until my 20 week ultrasound (the birthing center I go through recommends only one u/s, at 20-ish weeks and then follow-ups if necessary). Still undecided on whether or not I want to know the sex. I think if it is twins, I'd like to know. If not, I think it'll be fun to be surprised.

I am worried, though, that if it is twins I'll be risked out of birthing at the birthing center. They have some pretty strict guidelines for what constitutes "low risk." Since having a beautiful birth at the birthing center after having 3 horrible hospital births, I don't think I can go back to the hospital. I mean, obviously I would if my life or the baby's life was in danger. So now my SO and I are researching home births.

I still feel like crap. Not eating very well, nothing looks appealing at all.

Do you want twins? I will likely be going to the hospital this time around too, after my last baby was the most beautiful, peaceful, birth center water birth. I'm a little nervous about it, but after talking to some moms at LLL about their births at our local hospital, and my OB who is very natural birth friendly, I am hoping it will be OK.

In Love stillheart.gif with my best friend & mama to three beautiful little boys! stork-suprise.gif Expecting #4 Oct. 2014!
#16 of 39 Old 06-08-2011, 01:17 PM

Congrats, Sarahtar!

I'm feeling almost human lately!!  I'm 13.5 weeks now.  I was able to make it to our co-op and get some really great whole food prenatals that maybe I can finally start taking.  I also got some coconut oil for my growing belly (which is starting to get itchy).  It probably won't help, but it will make me feel better.  

I feel so huge lately (even though I'm probably not).  I need summer clothes and I don't like any of the maternity stuff out there.  Has anyone found cute, comfy shorts anywhere?  I need some for walks and also when I need to run errands that look half way decent.  I do terrible with capris because my thighs are bigger and my ankles are tiny.  

Now that I'm feeling better, I'm starting to feel more connected.  I also have low back pain, which I never experienced this early on.  Trying to be good about bending over the correct way so nothing gets out of whack. :)

Mom to my little super hero superhero.gif (02/06) and our super hero-in-training femalesling.GIF (11/11).

#17 of 39 Old 06-08-2011, 04:17 PM

Do you want twins?

I don't NOT want them, haha. My middle son was a twin (I lost his brother), and this pregnancy feels eerily similar.

Natalie- Mom to DS1 (8/03), DS2 (9/04), DS3 (10/06), DD (10/10) and belly.gifwith baby #5 (12/11).

#18 of 39 Old 06-08-2011, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendizbaby View Post

I feel so huge lately (even though I'm probably not).  I need summer clothes and I don't like any of the maternity stuff out there.  Has anyone found cute, comfy shorts anywhere?  I need some for walks and also when I need to run errands that look half way decent.  I do terrible with capris because my thighs are bigger and my ankles are tiny.  

I went and bought some summer dresses at Old Navy.. they aren't maternity, but I think my belly will fit in them fine for the summer until its too cold to wear them. They also had some shorts with elastic waists that might work for you to.

#19 of 39 Old 06-08-2011, 06:33 PM

Hmm- I've been volunteered to give swimming lessons this summer at our local pool. This is both good and bad.  The good- escape from the heat!  The bad, it's an outdoor pool, lessons are in the morning, and I've gotten wimpy about cold mornings. :P

Additionally, it means running the exercise program, and to do that I have to participate.  I've been a lump for weeeeeeeks now, this will be good for me, but painful.  I'll be doing 3 workouts a day (two of them are pretty intense) plus lessons.  

#20 of 39 Old 06-09-2011, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidevoice View Post

Hmm- I've been volunteered to give swimming lessons this summer at our local pool. This is both good and bad.  The good- escape from the heat!  The bad, it's an outdoor pool, lessons are in the morning, and I've gotten wimpy about cold mornings. :P

Additionally, it means running the exercise program, and to do that I have to participate.  I've been a lump for weeeeeeeks now, this will be good for me, but painful.  I'll be doing 3 workouts a day (two of them are pretty intense) plus lessons.  

Wow! Good luck! It would be so hard for me to do something like that while pregnant.. my energy level is sooo low, I get worn out form grocery shopping!

---

As for me.. I got a text from my DF this morning.. he's back in the U.S!!!! I still don't get to see him for 2 more days though, but I am sooooo excited he'll be home soon!

#21 of 39 Old 06-09-2011, 07:45 AM

jeninejessica - that doula/photographer situation sounds ideal, I'm glad you're so happy with that!

I really wanted a photographer at my last birth, but ultimately, what I want when I'm in labor is to be left the heck alone, and the only photographer I could imagine letting into my personal space like that had just had a baby. So I'm trying to decide about this time. Already in my house, I will have the MW (who largely hangs out unobtrusively in the corner), her assistant (ditto), my husband (who alternates between being annoying and being helpful, though he had stomach flu during my last labor), my doula, both kids (who will be 7 and 3), an adult to care for the kids, and of course me. So I need to decide how many more people I want to have bothering me, lol. I know a local doula who's also a gifted photographer, but she's tall and skinny and weighs about as much as I do (about 100). One of the reasons I like the doula I've always used is that she's a bit shorter than I am and pretty fluffy. She's comfortable. I can hug her, and lean on her, and bury my head on her soft shoulder and not worry about pushing her over. (DH is too tall for this.) LOL.
#22 of 39 Old 06-09-2011, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter

I'm super excited because one of my best friends does photography (amazingly beautiful photography, and I've worked for her for over a year as well) so she will be doing the birth photography. Another friend is also a photographer so they are both doing newborn sessions so I can't wait to see my baby in my friend's eyes :)

#23 of 39 Old 06-09-2011, 09:14 AM

Hooray for everyones good news!! I'm still on the fence about finding out, my kind of want to find out and kind of not. I'm an end of Dec EDD so I have some time to think about it.

Melissa-Mama to Allyson carrot.gif 1-22-07 and Katelyn homebirth.jpg 5-14-09 and Paul 1-2-12 my 10 lb 6oz. homebirthed baby boy.

#24 of 39 Old 06-09-2011, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaecho View Post

I'm super excited because one of my best friends does photography (amazingly beautiful photography, and I've worked for her for over a year as well) so she will be doing the birth photography. Another friend is also a photographer so they are both doing newborn sessions so I can't wait to see my baby in my friend's eyes :)

Yay!!! I have similar news! One of my friends, who is also an amazing photographer, is going to give me a friend's discount on her birth photography package, which includes maternity, birth and newborn pics!

#25 of 39 Old 06-09-2011, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraBella View Post

I went and bought some summer dresses at Old Navy.. they aren't maternity, but I think my belly will fit in them fine for the summer until its too cold to wear them. They also had some shorts with elastic waists that might work for you to.

Thanks for the tip!  I just went and got a cute dress and some nice skirts that will more then grow with my belly!

Mom to my little super hero superhero.gif (02/06) and our super hero-in-training femalesling.GIF (11/11).

#26 of 39 Old 06-09-2011, 10:18 AM

I have been a lump for WEEKS.  All I really want to do is sleep, eat, and drink.  Yesterday and today I spent some time dancing to eighties music videos with my two-year-old, though, and it felt very good.  I immediately had to eat afterward, though.  My body burns through all my food soooo fast.

I had a close friend photograph my last pregnancy.  I've moved since then, and haven't had the opportunity to form such a close bond with the women I've met so far.  I need to make it a priority to get involved here and get to know the network of natural-minded parents.

I had to drive to NC last Tuesday with my family for a Wednesday morning funeral.  23 hours on the road each way, and I'm still worn out and I'm left with an itchy, bumpy heat rash that doesn't quite want to go away.  :(  I haven't had one in years.  I was prone to them when I was pregnant with my first daughter in NC and the dermatologist said I had a mild sun allergy that might be intensified with pregnancy.  She suggested SPF 50+ and it worked.  Wish I'd had time to pick some up last week.  Anyone else here more sun-sensitive during pregnancy?

read.gif+dp_malesling.GIFreading.gifmoon.gifblahblah.gifjog.gif(All waterbirth.jpg. 3 @ homebirth.jpg30stork-suprise.gif*31*32*33*34*35*36*37*38*39*40?41*42?h20homebirth.gif 
#27 of 39 Old 06-09-2011, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyPai View Post

Anyone else here more sun-sensitive during pregnancy?

Hi, I worked for a brief time in my garden a few days ago.  I am still dayglo lobster red.  I also have a GORGEOUS lupus butterfly rash going on.  I am planning to invest in concealer.  In fact, I may buy stock in the stuff since I kind of look like the caricatures of rosy-cheeked hobbits at this point. 

I have some SPF 70 stuff to use, and even that isn't enough if I spend more than 20 minutes in the direct sun. 

#28 of 39 Old 06-09-2011, 03:01 PM

Yeah, a few weeks ago, I burned for the first time EVER while in my own country. I've only ever burned in tropical destinations, and even then, only after hours and hours on the beach. 

I'm very glad about the doula/photog. I was struggling with that too, because all of the advertised birth photogs here... well tbh, even their websites annoy me. I don't enjoy the photos either. So I wasn't looking forward to that being my option. I don't want to pose and such, I just want someone capturing details, and I think this woman would do that-- little details along the way, while still being what I need her to be. I didn't want to have to get a separate doula and photographer fore xactly the reason you mentioned-- just too many people by the time it all adds up. 

So I got a call yesterday from one of the OB's whom I had been told was retiring in August (and thus not taking me...) with the date for my first appointment... *scratches head*. And then I got a call today from my GP with my ultrasound date... but then won't answer when I call back to find out what it is. Gah. I am so sick of talking to doctors offices. I DONT NEED ANYTHING FROM YOU! COME BACK IN FIVE MONTHS! lol. It's just hard when I don't feel like there's much point to an appointment and all that, you know? I want an ultrasound at 20 weeks, but that's the only thing I really feel I need them from until the birth... I can weight myself, check the HB, monitor BP and HR, and everything myself... All they are going to do is try to force extra testing I don't need... 

#29 of 39 Old 06-09-2011, 03:57 PM

Hi gals,

I've been offline for a few days. I caught the stomach flu and was DOWN and out for a while. It was absolutely terrible! I hardly drank 8 ounces yesterday and ate nothing. I am so afraid that the pukes and dukes are going to come back! One of my four kiddos had it last night and I am praying no one else will catch it. It was nasty!

I have another appt. next week. I will be 12 weeks on Tuesday and have absolutely NO connection with baby or even with the idea of a new babe. :( This has been a tough season for my family and I expect it to only get harder over the next few month.

I know we are blessed to be able to conceive and I know I will adore this babe! Second trimester and nesting, please come soon!!

#30 of 39 Old 06-09-2011, 04:02 PM

I have been so busy and tired I haven't been on here in almost a week! Crazy!

Gender- I am SUPER excited to find out, I'm 13 weeks so I suppose 5-7 more weeks...I am having the hardest time waiting, and so are all my friends and family lol - this is baby #3 and I have 2 boys so people (including me) cannot wait to see if this is another boy or if it is a girl... I brought the kids to my appointment earlier this week and they were so cute, they listened to the heartbeat and my 4yo was like, "so what is it? A girl or a boy?" LOL my almost 2 year old was cute too - he lifted up his shirt and said, "my turn!" Everything is great, and I have gained some weight, but, not a whole lot - I think I am up like 3 or 4 pounds from me pre pregnancy weight (and usually I gain 10-15 in the first trimester, so I think I am starting off better, which is great sense I am starting this pregnancy almost the same weight I was at 10 months pregnant with DS2!)

Old Navy dresses- My hubby was just encouraging me to get some! I saw a commercial and they looks like they would work fine, so I might do that - especially sense it has been so beastly hot today. It was 110F today and the humidity was like 40% or something...walked outside and thought I was going to throw up just from the air quality... its also really hazy looking and nasty...

On unrelated news, I finally got a job offer for a FT job in my field, and its at a college, so I can go to grad school for free! I'm super excited...even though I was looking forward to enjoying NOT being in school with this baby (I was a FT student during the babyhood of my first two). Anyway, I am so relieved, I was so afraid I would not find one and now I am completly in maternity clothes, so pregnancy would be impossible to hide. OH, and I only had 9 days off when DS2 was born, but, because of the way the holidays work I should get about 3 paid weeks (or more) and then I will probably be able to take another 1-2 unpaid or at least work PT or from home or something...so I guess God knew what he was doing letting me get pregnant sooner than I planned - the timing could not be better!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page