wives' tale or true? if a pregnancy feels very different than a previous pregnancy, babe will be different sex - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 06-07-2011, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
This pregnancy has caused much more severe morning sickness and exhaustion than my pregnancy with DD. Does that mean I'm carrying a boy this time, or is that just a wives' tale (which is accurate 50% of the time, of course!)?

For those of you who have already had two children, I'm interested in your assessment!

(I know that women tend to be more tired during pregnancy when they're also caring for a little kid during the day, but it feels like my exhaustion goes well beyond that. DD1 is 3 1/2 years old and a relatively easy kid, has been sleeping through the night for quite a while, so I'm actually decently well-rested at this point. But boy, this pregnancy has me napping many days, after sleeping 8 hours at night! Now at almost 12 weeks I can feel some of the intense first trimester symptoms subsiding, thank goodness!)

#2 of 14 Old 06-07-2011, 06:12 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

My pregnancies were different from each other and I have a girl and a boy. If there's any truth to the old wives' tale, this one will be a boy. We weren't using the Shettles method (we had no preference either way) but the timing worked out as if we were trying for a girl. The same thing happened when I was pregnant with DD, and she is (duh!) a girl, so I'm totally confused as to what this one might be!

~Teresa, raising DS (Jan. 02) and DD1 (Jun. 04) and DD2 (Dec. 11) with DH.

#3 of 14 Old 06-07-2011, 07:06 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It DOES mean something. It means that your body is a little different than it was, you are 4 years older, your life is a little different, and this pregnancy is different, just as your baby will be completely different from your first baby, and your labor will likely be different. It's just different.

My pregnancy with DS was completely different from my pregnancy with DD, and my current pregnancy is completely different from each of those pregnancies. There's no chance this baby is a different sex than BOTH of my previous children, lol. And actually, this current pregnancy is more different from either of the previous two in terms of symptoms than they were from each other. Does that make sense?
#4 of 14 Old 06-07-2011, 07:19 PM

my pregnancy with DS was much different than with DD.   I was full of energy and was never sick, ate everything (pancakes!)  With DD#1,  I was sick,   I had no appetite.   With dd#2, I never threw up, but didn't have an appetite, and was so freaking tired I could hardly stay awake!!!   Of course I was probably extra tired b/c during that time I was watching my under 1 nephew, and I had just moved to a new house.   And I was VERY uncomfortable and I had such siatic nerve pain I went to a chiro.  I had that a little with DS, but not at all with DD#1.   The only thing that was the same with both girls pregnancies was the sickness.  

Mommy to 3 gifts from God! 
Nate dog 5/15/04
Lil' G 11/8/07
My Shamrock 3/17/10
ribbonpink.gif
#5 of 14 Old 06-07-2011, 09:25 PM

ALL of my pregnancies were completely different, and I have 3 boys and 1 girl.

I just KNEW with my daughter that she was a girl, though. It had nothing to do with how I felt, or how sick I was (or rather, wasn't). It was just a feeling I had.

Natalie- Mom to DS1 (8/03), DS2 (9/04), DS3 (10/06), DD (10/10) and belly.gifwith baby #5 (12/11).

#6 of 14 Old 06-08-2011, 07:27 PM

Ha--I'll let you know in December!  Well, probably July, actually, since we're having a level II ultrasound then.

But my first two pregnancies were remarkably similar.  This one has been completely different.  I've been so much sicker than I was with the first two and for longer.  I felt sick with the first two, but by 12 weeks I was feeling so much better.  This time at 12 weeks, I still feel horrible.  But, of course, that may just be that I'm 4 years older, have two other children running around...who knows.

#7 of 14 Old 06-09-2011, 06:26 AM

It is a wives tale that it would be a different sex, but it is the truth that you will have two completely different children (same sex or not). I wish it was true we already have a beatufil little girl and my husband (not me) really wants a boy this time, plus we are getting greif from family about it being a boy. This pregnancy is opposite from my last so I am hoping, but know I have no hand in it and it will be what he/she is supposed to be.

Student Mother  and Wife hang.gif 29 married to DH 31 jammin.gif since 03 Zoe Elizabeth Jane 4.75 energy.gif and Jace Aaron Edward 12/12/11 babyboy.gif

#8 of 14 Old 06-09-2011, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieMama View Post

ALL of my pregnancies were completely different, and I have 3 boys and 1 girl.

I just KNEW with my daughter that she was a girl, though. It had nothing to do with how I felt, or how sick I was (or rather, wasn't). It was just a feeling I had.

Yeah, I knew DS was a boy from the first twinge of nausea. I knew DD was a girl. DS knew DD was a girl. He would not even discuss the possibility of her being a brother instead of a sister, because he just was certain she was a girl. I "knew" my two losses were a girl and then a boy. I'm unsure about this one. My son has always said we will have four kids, boy, girl, boy, girl. I mean, right after I had DD, he started telling people that mommy has two more babies in her tummy, a brother and then a sister. DH thinks this is a boy. But I keep calling this one She without realizing it. We'll see, I guess.
#9 of 14 Old 06-09-2011, 09:06 AM

I was totally going to post something about this as I got on here..... I have 2 girls. My first I was moderately morning sick, as in, usually barfed every morning but stopped was able to eat after that.  It stopped, probably about 20 weeks. With my second, I was always randomly barfing, so much so, that my DD (was 2 at the time) would stand over the toilet and make barfing sounds (nice, eh?) and it never stopped, I was barfing the day I was in labor with her. With this one, I have been ill feeling and tired, but haven't vomited once, or even gagged. So weird. I did just have my gallbladder out the month before my BFP and looking back, I might have been having gallstone symptoms with my 2nd DD.  So, who knows.....

Melissa-Mama to Allyson carrot.gif 1-22-07 and Katelyn homebirth.jpg 5-14-09 and Paul 1-2-12 my 10 lb 6oz. homebirthed baby boy.

#10 of 14 Old 06-09-2011, 10:22 AM

Each of my pregnancies felt different.  The nausea was different, I carried them differently, etc.  I always felt like I was carrying a boy, too.ROTFLMAO.gif

I've got three daughters.  biglaugh.gif

read.gif+dp_malesling.GIFreading.gifmoon.gifblahblah.gifjog.gif(All waterbirth.jpg. 3 @ homebirth.jpg30stork-suprise.gif*31*32*33*34*35*36*37*38*39*40?41*42?h20homebirth.gif 
#11 of 14 Old 06-09-2011, 11:05 AM

Oooh I like this thread!  I have been wondering the same thing.  I feel better this pregnancy than with DS and have heard MS is supposed to be worse with girls so I am thinking this is a boy.  But that is very unscientific and maybe just to protect myself from disappointment. 

#12 of 14 Old 06-09-2011, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahtar View Post

It DOES mean something. It means that your body is a little different than it was, you are 4 years older, your life is a little different, and this pregnancy is different, just as your baby will be completely different from your first baby, and your labor will likely be different. It's just different.

My pregnancy with DS was completely different from my pregnancy with DD, and my current pregnancy is completely different from each of those pregnancies. There's no chance this baby is a different sex than BOTH of my previous children, lol. And actually, this current pregnancy is more different from either of the previous two in terms of symptoms than they were from each other. Does that make sense?

This!!!! Is exactly my pregnancy.  Especially that this pregnancy is more different than my first two were also!

In fact, I've actually said to someone that I'm glad there isn't a THIRD gender, because if there was --- I would be SO SURE that I'm pregnant with neither a boy or a girl. lol

sarahtar and BennyPai like this.

Vanessa... Happily married to a paramedic - celebrating 10 years of marriage!  Mama to one crazy 6 year old transformer and one chatterbox 4 year old princess.  Daycare provider to many jumping beans  I'm expecting my third in late November. 

#13 of 14 Old 06-16-2011, 11:43 AM

All my pregnancies have been different, and I have (so far) two girls and one boy.

JoAnna

DH Collin

DD Elanor (8), DS William (5), DD Violet (3), DS Gabriel (1), DS Peter (born Oct. '13)

Noel (12/06) and Christian (03/09), always in my heart

#14 of 14 Old 06-21-2011, 04:30 PM

I've had three children and am carrying my fourth.  The first three pregnancies were exactly the same in experience - the first two were girls and the last one was a boy.  This is the first pregnancy with nausea and m/s and exhaustion.  If the wives tale were true for me there would have been a difference with the third pregnancy since that one was my first boy.  I haven't found out what gender this LO is.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page