Flip diaper system.. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 06-09-2011, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I *think* this is what we've decided to go with for baby ovejita.

So what exactly do I need? How many covers? I can just use the gerber prefolds with this 'system' right? I did a little cloth diapering before, but mainly just kushie all in ones.. thoughts?

creative crunchy christian wife to J stillheart.gif, Mama to three boys and one baby on the way!  chicken3.gif  doula in training love.gif

#2 of 12 Old 06-09-2011, 03:50 PM

Prefolds... yes definitely with the flips.  But I would DEFINITELY go higher quality than gerber.  Green Mountain Diapers are a good choice, one I hear often.  I bought my prefolds for my son & daughter from clothdiaper.com     I LOVED their customer service and it was super fast shipping because I'm in Utah (and so are they).

Vanessa... Happily married to a paramedic - celebrating 10 years of marriage!  Mama to one crazy 6 year old transformer and one chatterbox 4 year old princess.  Daycare provider to many jumping beans  I'm expecting my third in late November. 

#3 of 12 Old 06-09-2011, 04:06 PM

what is "flip diaper system"??

I prefer buying PF's used, because they are more broken in, softer. That said, I bought from Green Mountain (just my NB sized PF's a friend gave me the bigger sizes), and they are very durable - they are still new feeling after 2 babies!! LOL I just think they are kind of stiff for a newborn...maybe I am wierd lol...I am really picky about stuff like that with my own clothes so I could just be wierd...

#4 of 12 Old 06-09-2011, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMomma83 View Post

what is "flip diaper system"??

I prefer buying PF's used, because they are more broken in, softer. That said, I bought from Green Mountain (just my NB sized PF's a friend gave me the bigger sizes), and they are very durable - they are still new feeling after 2 babies!! LOL I just think they are kind of stiff for a newborn...maybe I am wierd lol...I am really picky about stuff like that with my own clothes so I could just be wierd...

There is a good picture of what they look like here: http://organic-mama.ca/?p=2984

I'm planning on using elements of the design when i design my own diapers to sew for my LO.

Vanessa... Happily married to a paramedic - celebrating 10 years of marriage!  Mama to one crazy 6 year old transformer and one chatterbox 4 year old princess.  Daycare provider to many jumping beans  I'm expecting my third in late November. 

#5 of 12 Old 06-09-2011, 04:56 PM

I work at a cloth diaper store and we recomend at least 4 day packs (which is 8 covers and 24 inserts).  You can get all of this for around $200 if you went with the stay dry, the organic OS prefold is about $40 more.

#6 of 12 Old 06-15-2011, 04:54 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

I don't quite understand.  Are they disposable?  The covers are reusable and the inserts are disposable? 

I have cloth diapered my three previous babies and then freecycled it all when I thought we were done having babies.  Well, here I am -- pregnant and no cloth diapers!  So, I am looking to buy again.  

But everything has changed since I bought diaper 10 years ago!  I am going a bit mad with all the different choices.  

The flip diaper cover looks quite nice -- more adjustable and snaps rather than that awful velcro stuff I struggled with. I'll have to look around to see if there are any cloth diaper stores near me.  I didn't realize that there were brick and mortar stores with cloth diapers -- am I showing my age?

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#7 of 12 Old 06-15-2011, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter

Hey! I cloth diapered not that long ago and things have changed, so don't feel bad! The flip system is a cover then your choice of liner. You can get disposable liners, regular, or organic (or use regular prefolds).

creative crunchy christian wife to J stillheart.gif, Mama to three boys and one baby on the way!  chicken3.gif  doula in training love.gif

#8 of 12 Old 06-15-2011, 07:01 AM

The flip system is pretty similiar to the Bummis newborn system with "liners" (prefolds) and a wrap cover, aren't they? As in you just trifold the prefold and then lay it in the diaper and close everything up? I'm buying a set of these today, and I am miraculously excited about them. I've been very against prefolds, but one that I can simply lay inside a cover and not have to pin or snappi seems alright for me, especially in the early weeks when they aren't moving as  much. 

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#9 of 12 Old 06-15-2011, 10:42 AM

I bought some Flip covers and just used hemp inserts that I had for my toddler.  I also use a fleece-topped hemp doubler for easy cleanup.  I like them.  For a newborn, though, I would really stick with prefolds with a Snappi and covers like pull-on nylon ones or Bummis SWW w/Velcro.  Just too messy otherwise.

I have both Chinese and Indian prefolds.  I think I prefer Chinese but I bought my Indian ones here-- not a bad price, esp. with flat-rate shipping.  http://little-lions.com/

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

#10 of 12 Old 06-24-2011, 04:01 PM

I went from using fitted diapers with covers to the Flip system 2 months ago. So I only have experience with using them on a 22-24 month old. So far we love them. I have 2 Organic day packs, purchased 1 extra cover. This works well for a toddler, since they normally poop once a day. However for a younger baby (I was informed that flips dont fit tiny newborns), I would do 4 packs for sure.

Definitly buy the organic cotton inserts. There absorbancy is superior to anything I have ever used and I have been CDing for 3 years now. My DD is a crazy heavy wetter and these are awesome!

Our plan is newborn will be prefolds with a few bummis covers and some wool until our babe is big enough to fit the flips.

erica.mommy to korbin (july 11/07) + taylor (june 21/09)
#11 of 12 Old 06-24-2011, 04:09 PM

I love and only use flip. you don't need anything else. I bout 4 eco boxes 6dipes 2 shells in a pack 50$ each. double the insert at night

NAK

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#12 of 12 Old 06-24-2011, 04:09 PM

we use stay dry

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page