Ack- planned c-section? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 06-20-2011, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've been thinking about this for a few days since my OB brought it up, and I am really struggling with the 'right' thing to do. 

He is suggesting that I schedule a c-section before 40 weeks to avoid labor entirely.  I have adenomyosis, and he feels that there is a significant risk of uterine rupture with labor.  

If I do go that route, it would be a  c-section and hysterectomy at the same time... again, because there is so much scar tissue- and a hysterectomy is the only 'cure' for the adenomyosis- it just makes sense to do both at the same time.  However, I have always been a huge proponent of natural childbirth whenever possible, and I feel like a planned c-section would be wrong. 

In my case, the adenomyosis is severe, and some of the endometrial cells showed evidence of precancerous changes on biopsy late last fall. Because of that alone, I am inclined to go along with his suggestion, but precancerous changes aren't cancerous changes, and they don't necessarily mean it WILL develop, and generally I'm feeling quite flustered. 

Mostly, I just need a space to process this as it wasn't something I really considered and I am feeling kind of guilty about even toying with the idea as somehow (irrational as it is) a c-section wrong. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 06-20-2011, 04:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I can relate somewhat.  I had a vaginal mostly natural birth (though they ended up having to use vacuum) last time and would like one again but my placenta is lying low and causing bleeding and if it doesn't move, I know I'll be headed for a c-section too.  It is a lot to wrap your head around, and I know nothing about your situation, but it sounds serious and like you shouldn't feel guilty about the possibility of having to have a c-section.  Would getting a second opinion make you feel better? 

#3 of 13 Old 06-20-2011, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

I'll have a second opinion as I will be switching care providers at about 7 months when we move.  Really though, I don't expect a different opinion.  I can read it in black and white and I know why it may be the 'best' option, but I can't wrap my mind around it for me.  I mean- these things always happen to someone else, right?

#4 of 13 Old 06-20-2011, 04:56 PM

Well, it is a major surgery and I think it's only natural that it will take some time to process.  I can't even wrap my mind around the fact that I'm pregnant and it's been months now.  :)

Regarding a c-section as right or wrong... I know you're moving to another area, but perhaps you could find a doula who has attended a good number of c-sections before who can help you process your feelings?  I kind of hate the tendency for women to feel guilty or like failures for having c-sections.  It's just a procedure, there's no inherent good or evil in it.  If it's the safest solution for keeping you and baby healthy then it's the rational choice.  I know that doesn't make it easier to accept.  I just don't like that people feel bad about it.

Have you seen this article?  And linked video.  I don't know if they'll be helpful, but maybe... http://www.theunnecesarean.com/blog/2011/3/22/i-support-natural-childbirth-and-im-planning-a-cesarean.html

#5 of 13 Old 06-20-2011, 05:10 PM

I don't know much about the condition, so my comment is more of a general one, but

a/ don't feel bad for considering something that could be safer for you and babe!

b/ C sections are not 'wrong', as long as you are going into them fully informed. 

c/ this is where I reiterate my lack of knowledge about the condition, but if possible, I would try to let your body go into labor, and hopefully labor naturally for a few hours before proceeding to the c-section. That labor itself is good for the baby, my brain is foggy right now, but something to do with the hormones that it kick starts, and I believe the contractions start to get the baby's chest cleared out. Again- foggy brain, but I think that was the gist of it. So --if it were safe-- I would push for a trial of labor before the c-section. 

*hugs* mama, this sounds like a very hard decision to make, and I don't envy you. Think on it hard, and use your gut and your research, not a fear of what is right or wrong or what others may think, it only has to be right for you and your family. 

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#6 of 13 Old 06-20-2011, 05:19 PM

I would try thinking of it this way: The big push behind natural birth is that in most cases, it's better for mom and baby. Less exposure to drugs, less interventions, faster and easier recovery, etc. In your case, it sounds like the c-section might be what's best for you and baby as hard as it may be to get used to right now. I've never had a c-section and I'm sure I would have similar feelings if I were in your situation, but I would try to think of it was doing what's best for my baby, even if that means deviating from a natural birth plan. Medical interventions are necessary and the best course of action in some cases, and it sounds like yours is one of them. Good luck mama, and give yourself time to process your feelings about it.

Wife to DH stillheart.gif 08/09 and SAHM to DD 09/08 and DS 11/11

Surprise! Expecting #3 Nov. 2013!
***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36 yikes2.gif **40

#7 of 13 Old 06-20-2011, 05:45 PM

((HUGS))

I have no advice to give, but I feel that you should be reassured that if a c-section is the safest option for you & baby it is absolutely not wrong and I hope if that becomes your reality that you will find yourself able to let go of any guilt about needing the procedure.  ((HUGS)) again, Mama.

read.gif+dp_malesling.GIFreading.gifmoon.gifblahblah.gifjog.gif(All waterbirth.jpg. 3 @ homebirth.jpg30stork-suprise.gif*31*32*33*34*35*36*37*38*39*40?41*42?h20homebirth.gif 
#8 of 13 Old 06-21-2011, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeninejessica View Post

I would try to let your body go into labor, and hopefully labor naturally for a few hours before proceeding to the c-section. That labor itself is good for the baby, my brain is foggy right now, but something to do with the hormones that it kick starts, and I believe the contractions start to get the baby's chest cleared out. Again- foggy brain, but I think that was the gist of it. So --if it were safe-- I would push for a trial of labor before the c-section. 

It sounds like it wouldn't be safe though because she said the labor itself can cause uterine rupture. 

Insidevoice--if you think the second opinion is going to be the same, it sounds like it is pretty serious.  I'm in a similar situation because even a super crunchy birthing book I have says if the placenta is covering the cervix, a c-section is really non-negotiable.  I've already had a placental abruption and have a whole set of other "risk" factors as well.  I think it is a lot for me, and you, to process, but in the end, I know all I really want is a healthy baby and for me to be healthy as well.  I have been thinking about this a lot and and am letting go of my ideas of the "perfect birth."  My new "perfect birth" will be one in which baby and I go home healthy, and that is my one and only expectation.  I am grateful that I've been able to experience a more natural birth, and I know birth matters, but I'm refusing to put so much importance on it that I cause myself stress and guilt.  It will be what it will be and I'm glad I can start processing that now instead of an emergency situation where I have to process after the birth. 

#9 of 13 Old 06-21-2011, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

If a uterine rupture would mean an emergency c-section or hysterectomy, then a planned c-section might have more of the elements of birth that are important to me than attempting a natural birth. I'd want to know if SO could be there and if the baby could lay on my chest after the birth... that sort of thing. With both my kids, once I was holding them, I was only half-aware of anything else that was going on. I don't have a clear memory of having the placenta or of being checked for tears or any of that. It's all looking at the baby, listening to his/her sounds, memorizing the face counting toes and fingers, etc. I would want that, no matter what.

~Teresa, raising DS (Jan. 02) and DD1 (Jun. 04) and DD2 (Dec. 11) with DH.

#10 of 13 Old 06-21-2011, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by APToddlerMama View Post
... It will be what it will be and I'm glad I can start processing that now instead of an emergency situation where I have to process after the birth. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mummoth View Post

If a uterine rupture would mean an emergency c-section or hysterectomy, then a planned c-section might have more of the elements of birth that are important to me than attempting a natural birth. ...

These are also good points - that a planned c-section could be very peaceful and actually quite pleasant.  Emergencies are traumatic no matter the outcome.

#11 of 13 Old 06-21-2011, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Some really good points.  I do think I just need the time to process it. I think that I am more upset at the idea than I will be at the reality- of course the goal will be overall health and wellness for everyone. I just happen to have occasional control issues (It has to be my way!!!!!!) so giving up that control is hard for me.  I'll get to a sense of peace with all of this eventually, I am sure.  

I think one reason I'm so disturbed by the whole thing is that I don't do hospitals well, and I love to get home right away with the new baby/family, and I know there will be a delay on that.  

I need to find some positives about that.

#12 of 13 Old 06-21-2011, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

You'll be in a new city, right? Would it help to go to the tribal areas forum, and ask opinions on the hospitals in the new city? I know that here, there are certain ones with really good reviews and others people avoid. You might feel more in control if you can pick your hospital. You could use google maps to see which of the local hospitals are most conveniently located to your house. You could find the best coffee shop for your DH to stop at and get you a treat when he comes to visit :) 

Do you do any crafting or projects like that? Maybe you could find something simple that you could make for each of your older kids, in PRIVACY, at the hospital while the baby naps. I don't know if your kids are big fat nosy surprise ruiners yet but this may be one of the last times you can pull it off! Maybe you could make little Christmas surprise for each of them when you go home? Just something easy, like decorating picture frames or embroidering their names on matching pre-made stockings. Nothing too ambitious, because you'll have less time than you think you will. 

~Teresa, raising DS (Jan. 02) and DD1 (Jun. 04) and DD2 (Dec. 11) with DH.

#13 of 13 Old 06-27-2011, 07:19 AM

positives about hospital stay:

I had a really nice not too big hospital.... but grandparents came and stayed with 2 yr old. and dh and I got 3-4 days to ourselves with baby. It was really heavenly. like being in a nice hotel, we could watch tv, he could pick us up yummy food from town. once a day the grands came to visit with 2 yr old. really fun but thankful it was an hour a day not 24/7 at that point:) It was like a mini babymoon. 

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page