Gender? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 29 Old 06-22-2011, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm 16 weeks and since I’m high risk, I get frequent ultrasounds - We just found out we are having a girl.  :)  We have 2 boys already, so this was a huge surprise. 

Anyone else know their gender yet?

#2 of 29 Old 06-22-2011, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

CONGRATS!!!

We aren't finding out the sex until the birth, so I don't know... but I think I'm having a girl, too.

~Teresa, raising DS (Jan. 02) and DD1 (Jun. 04) and DD2 (Dec. 11) with DH.

#3 of 29 Old 06-22-2011, 03:34 PM

Congratulations!  So much fun!  We haven't decided if we'll find out before hand or not.  I had thought I wanted to and B knows he doesn't want to.  At my last visit, my OB said he could probably tell on the ultrasound (at 12 weeks?  Is that really possible?) if I wanted to know.  I wasn't prepared to make the final decision right then so said I would wait to find out.  

But now I kind of don't want to find out.  I like that right now my baby is all possibility.  It's not a he or a she.  It's both ... and neither.  I don't know if that makes sense at all.  :)

#4 of 29 Old 06-22-2011, 04:37 PM

Congrats! We have 2 boys also...not sure the gender on this one yet, I'm 14 weeks, so hoping we can find out within a month!

#5 of 29 Old 06-22-2011, 08:39 PM

Oh how exciting! I'm sure her older brothers will treat her like the princess she's going to become---one who knows how to roll in the dirt with the boys! Congratulations on getting that extra step closer to knowing your little one.

At my 12 week u/s the little one was ASLEEP and verrrry comfortable in their position despite lots of angle change, table tilting etc... so there was no chance of a reveal then. From my own reading I'm not aware that they make guesses earlier than 14 weeks so I wasn't too disappointed. I will be getting a 20 week anatomy scan and definitely hope that we'll get to find out then.

#6 of 29 Old 06-30-2011, 01:22 PM

I had my first and only ultrasound today. Everyone in my husband's family has either all girls or all boys. We already have a DD and the baby we lost last year was also a girl. DH says he can only make girls. Apparently he is wrong because we are having a boy. This will be the very first boy in my family. There are 7 grandchildren....16 years of girls. They won't know what do to with a boy...LOL. DD was the first grandchild in DH's family, so there will be a boy and a girl. I'm thrilled!

#7 of 29 Old 06-30-2011, 06:09 PM

Oh that's so exciting!!

We find out July 19th... I CANNOT WAIT!!!! :)

creative crunchy christian wife to J stillheart.gif, Mama to three boys and one baby on the way!  chicken3.gif  doula in training love.gif

#8 of 29 Old 06-30-2011, 06:53 PM

We should find out July 21- the day before my birthday. DH isn't 100% convinced yet, but I think he's ok with finding out, just because he knows how badly I want to. 

We're also getting a second very short ultrasound sometime around 28-34 weeks, so we'll double check the gender there to make sure both techs agree (DH is very worried that they will be wrong, which is one of the reasons he doesn't want to find out.)

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#9 of 29 Old 07-01-2011, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeninejessica View Post

We should find out July 21- the day before my birthday. DH isn't 100% convinced yet, but I think he's ok with finding out, just because he knows how badly I want to. 

We're also getting a second very short ultrasound sometime around 28-34 weeks, so we'll double check the gender there to make sure both techs agree (DH is very worried that they will be wrong, which is one of the reasons he doesn't want to find out.)

During our ultrasound the baby was very uncooperative. It took 3 hours, 3 techs, and 1 doctor to get everything they needed. He was just having a grand time rolling around and hiding. 2 Techs and the doctor all checked and said it was a boy, so we are fairly certain. The still shot we got of that area looks really obvious too. They even gave us a couple 3-D shots....a total of about 20 photos. I think they would tell you if they weren't absolutely sure of the gender, but I guess anything can happen. 

#10 of 29 Old 07-01-2011, 08:13 AM

Yeah, I would think that three techs and a doctor agreeing would make me feel pretty confident!

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#11 of 29 Old 07-01-2011, 10:24 PM

We found on on Wednesday we're having another girl!!!!!!! winky.gif

Me and DH and DD (2) and expecting #2 11/27!!!!! thumb.gif
#12 of 29 Old 07-02-2011, 06:55 PM

I won't find out until September :(

#13 of 29 Old 07-03-2011, 09:17 AM

I have an appt. a week from Tuesday and I am going to BEG my OB for a quick U/S. Hubby left for BCT and Officer School last week and will be gone until I am 38+ weeks. I would LOVE to send an ultrasound photo in my first letter to him. I really want a peek at these baby parts! Hoping for a boy!

#14 of 29 Old 07-03-2011, 10:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We're going to find out the sex at our 10 week u/s.. I'm 17w now.. 3 more weeks!

In Love stillheart.gif with my best friend & mama to three beautiful little boys! stork-suprise.gif Expecting #4 Oct. 2014!
#15 of 29 Old 07-03-2011, 09:56 PM

We find out on Wednesday morning!!!  I will be 18.5 weeks then.  Cannot wait even though we already have 3.5 yo boy and 1.5 yo girl...

DS1 2/08, DD 1/10, DS2 12/11...#4 due October 2014
Home schooling, home birthing, breastfeeding, bed sharing family!

#16 of 29 Old 07-04-2011, 10:51 AM

We found out that we are having boy/girl twins at our 16 wk ultrasound about 2 weeks ago.  They were both moving around like crazy.  Any one else having twins?

mama to dust.gifdd 8/09 and slingtwin.gif dd + ds 11/11

#17 of 29 Old 07-04-2011, 12:17 PM

We had a tense moment at the doctors this morning. It was mt first time meeting the OB, and as SOON as I pulled up my shirt, she paused and was like "oh, well, that's a bit bigger than we normally expect to see at 18.5 weeks..." and then said she doesn't normally do this, but went and got the portable ultrasound machine. Just one in there though, she checked real hard! lol

It was a very quick ultrasound just to check for multiples, but both DH and I saw what we think may be boy parts, so we're even more interested now to have our 'real' ultrasound on the 21st and find out for sure. 

#18 of 29 Old 07-04-2011, 02:05 PM

We probably won't find out, but we both think it's a boy this time. We've been saying so since before we started TTC. We had an ultrasound with an OB at 9 weeks(a little early, I thought, especially since I knew exactly when I conceived and I have no previous losses). We're now seeing a midwife and planning a homebirth so we most likely won't have another ultrasound unless she wants us to get one. We're planning on not finding out but if we have another ultrasound, I know I'll look even if the tech doesn't tell us for sure.

Wife to DH stillheart.gif 08/09 and SAHM to DD 09/08 and DS 11/11

Surprise! Expecting #3 Nov. 2013!
***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36 yikes2.gif **40

#19 of 29 Old 07-04-2011, 03:00 PM

For those of us who don't already know the baby's gender, does anyone have a preference? I know you're not *supposed* to prefer one to the other, but DH and I do, so I thought I'd see if anyone else will confess a preference!

It's our first, and we are both really hoping for a girl. Hoping as in, DH jokes that he'll be really dissapointed if it comes out and has a penis. Of course, if is is a boy, we will still be thrilled. But right now, we don't really know what we'd DO with a boy, how to raise him, how to have fun with him, and when I think of interacting with my child, I always imagine it's female. So, we'll see what happens!

As far as trying to intuit what it is, based in when we conceived, it's probably a boy, but somewhere in my deeper mind, I'm thinking "she". It's a total mystery!

Maker-mama, joyously loving my boy, Winter Rhys, born 12/2011, and our twins, Wren and Forest, born 4/2014.
#20 of 29 Old 07-04-2011, 03:10 PM

Azadehhast~ if you're going to find out, make sure the place you go tells! My cousin just had her US at RCH and they wouldn't tell her. When I had my dating US at medray in Coquitlam they reassured me they'll tell us, but we don't want to know.

I want a boy because my son really, really wants a brother, whereas my daughter is just thrilled it's a baby! But then I want a girl because DS & DD are step-kids to SO, and you tend to have a special kind of bond with your same-sex parent, and if DS is always SO's only boy, then their special relationship won't ever be threatened (though I think this concern is just slightly highly exaggerated) So I Do have a preference, but I flip-flop on what that preference is. I guess I'm sort of hoping for a girl, because I can always TELL DS (after the fact) that he's the only son, so that makes him extra special.... though he'd repeat that to DD... I DON'T KNOW!!!

~Teresa, raising DS (Jan. 02) and DD1 (Jun. 04) and DD2 (Dec. 11) with DH.

#21 of 29 Old 07-04-2011, 03:36 PM

At the time I got pregnant our family on DH's side (no kids on my side) had 5 girls. I really really really wanted a boy, to be able to 'have the first boy'. It sounds silly, but I wanted to have something 'special' about our baby.  And then a few weeks ago, my SIL had her last baby, and it was a boy, and now I think I can say I don't really care anymore... I just want a baby! lol. DH still leans boy, and I think I do a little bit, but I'd also be totally excited with a girl as well. And since we have the five nieces, I have an unlimited supply of girls clothing/toys/etc coming to us, so that's definitely a bonus. We would have enough boys clothing too, but nothing like the stockpile of pink. 

In talking about the baby, we always refer to it as "he", but when I randomly picture the baby being here, it's a girl. But as I said... we both think we may have seen boy parts, so we'll see. 

#22 of 29 Old 07-04-2011, 06:31 PM

I'm hoping for a boy because we have three daughters and one son. Our boy is the youngest and I think it would be great for him to have a brother so close in age. Also, this is our last baby, so I would love to have one more boy! BUT, if it is a girl, things will be fine. Part of me thinks another boy will never be able to "compare" to our son. He is ALL boy, wild, assertive, attached to mama, big time. I think he would be just fine if he were the only.

We are blessed to have this baby and will be thrilled with either one.

Although, I cannot help but think that something isn't quite right with this pregnancy. :(

Getting anxious for that appointment next week!

#23 of 29 Old 07-05-2011, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azadehhast View Post

For those of us who don't already know the baby's gender, does anyone have a preference? I know you're not *supposed* to prefer one to the other, but DH and I do, so I thought I'd see if anyone else will confess a preference!

It's our first, and we are both really hoping for a girl. Hoping as in, DH jokes that he'll be really dissapointed if it comes out and has a penis. Of course, if is is a boy, we will still be thrilled. But right now, we don't really know what we'd DO with a boy, how to raise him, how to have fun with him, and when I think of interacting with my child, I always imagine it's female. So, we'll see what happens!

As far as trying to intuit what it is, based in when we conceived, it's probably a boy, but somewhere in my deeper mind, I'm thinking "she". It's a total mystery!

I didn't think I had a preference, but I really feel like it's a girl and I think I'll have some mental adjusting to do if it's not.  We almost certainly won't find out until it gets here.  We will have at least one more ultrasound though so I'll have to try to look away at that point.  It's pretty fun to think that it could be anything and everything.  Whether a boy or girl, we will do all the same things - whether they like it or not!  (j/k)  So it the sex doesn't really matter.  But I can just imagine a girl better.  We have better girl names picked out.  IDK  Sometimes I think that I think it's a girl because I just visited a bunch of friends that all have girls.  OTOH most of my friends nearby have boys so you'd think I'd be influenced by them.  

#24 of 29 Old 07-05-2011, 11:26 AM

Cwill, yeah, I don't think gender matters much at all with little ones. At least, I certainly hope to raise a mostly un-gendered baby. I'm so annoyed at the baby clothes available, how little of it there is that isn't strictly pink or blue, as if a girl can only wear pink, and a boy certainly can't. What does it matter to baby?!

I think I just feel like I'll relate to a girl more, as she grows up.

What an amazing mystery this is! We're not planning any ultrasounds, so it'll definitely be a surprise early some December morning to see what we get. Oh, the love!

Maker-mama, joyously loving my boy, Winter Rhys, born 12/2011, and our twins, Wren and Forest, born 4/2014.
#25 of 29 Old 07-05-2011, 11:41 AM

I hate the baby clothes too.  I googled "unisex baby clothes" or something like that and got mostly white onesies.  That's really the best people can come up with?  Is it really so important that gender is established from day 1?

#26 of 29 Old 07-06-2011, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azadehhast View Post

I really wanted a boy for my first one, my DH didn't care either way, and when I found out it was a girl I cried!! I am not a girly girl and didn't really know what to do with a girl. She is a perfect beautiful 4 year old now. And let me tell you as soon as I saw her I knew it was my destiny to be her mother. I have never been so in love and I would not trade her for anything. We are now pregnant with our second one and since I now realize I would get what was meant for me I really did not care what we got. I found out it was a BOY and I was so shocked and excited, and now I think to myself how am I going to raise a boy...............LOL! And let me just say it is perfectly normal to want one over the other and to even get sad if you don't get what you, those are everyday human emotions so don't let anyone tell you differently. Go ahead and get happy or sad now because I know when he/she arrives it will not matter anymore.

Student Mother  and Wife hang.gif 29 married to DH 31 jammin.gif since 03 Zoe Elizabeth Jane 4.75 energy.gif and Jace Aaron Edward 12/12/11 babyboy.gif

#27 of 29 Old 07-06-2011, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2isa View Post

I had my first and only ultrasound today. Everyone in my husband's family has either all girls or all boys. We already have a DD and the baby we lost last year was also a girl. DH says he can only make girls. Apparently he is wrong because we are having a boy. This will be the very first boy in my family. There are 7 grandchildren....16 years of girls. They won't know what do to with a boy...LOL. DD was the first grandchild in DH's family, so there will be a boy and a girl. I'm thrilled!

That is so crazy that is exactly how my family is. And in fact the men in my husband family only has girls(the women have boys) and the women in my family have girls (the men in my family have boys) so we knew our 2nd would be a girl also. Then I started doing the research and found that it is several different things that come into play and really the mans sperm in a normal healthy male has almost the exact same amount of boy girl sperm. So then I starting thinking how could it be possible for so many families to 3 and 4 of the same gender babies in one small family? We were so surpised to hear it is a boy!!!!! We are the first couple in his and my family to have one of each since my MOM!! And there are a ton of babies. Even my aunt had to have 2 boys then a girl and my Uncle had 4 boys then a girl. But all my siblings have same sex and they all have 2 or 3.

Student Mother  and Wife hang.gif 29 married to DH 31 jammin.gif since 03 Zoe Elizabeth Jane 4.75 energy.gif and Jace Aaron Edward 12/12/11 babyboy.gif

#28 of 29 Old 07-06-2011, 02:30 PM

Found out this morning we are having a BOY!  I thought maybe girl...but surprise!   Ha-ha...I have thought every baby was going to be a girl.  I have only been right once!    

DS1 2/08, DD 1/10, DS2 12/11...#4 due October 2014
Home schooling, home birthing, breastfeeding, bed sharing family!

#29 of 29 Old 07-06-2011, 05:06 PM

MIL was convinced that DD was a boy because everyone in her family has boys as their first child. She even bought us some boy outfits because she was so convinced of it. Luckily most of the stuff she bought could be used for DD anyway.

Wife to DH stillheart.gif 08/09 and SAHM to DD 09/08 and DS 11/11

Surprise! Expecting #3 Nov. 2013!
***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36 yikes2.gif **40

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page